PDA

View Full Version : US to South Island for 2 weeks in March - April

JPOnion
28th January 2009, 18:03
Hello everybody!

I've been planning on taking a couple weeks off work in February or March for the last 6 months or so and coming down to (finally) see New Zealand. Unfortunately, work and other stuff getting busy, I suddenly realized last week it's nearing the end of January and I haven't even begun research / planning / anything!

So now the last few days I've been trying to come up with set dates to visit, mainly because I want to get my tickets soon (before prices change) and because, after making an inquiry with a motorcycle rental company in Nelson, I found out March is the busiest bike rental month and rental availability is tight (especially since I'd like to ride a specific bike, an SV650)...so I want to book that soon, too.

I've been browsing the forums here for a little bit today and already found some excellent ideas, though I might as well throw out the main points of interest I want to hit (if I've got enough time in my short 2 week stay) and see if there's any specific comments from locals :niceone: Basically, I'll be flying down from Reno, Nevada to most likely Christchurch, as that's where most the rental companies on the South Island seem to be. I would love to ride the west coast area, especially the road from Haast to Wanaka and Arthurs Pass. I want to spend at least a day in Fjordland, specifically Milford Sound, maybe taking a cruise and acting the tourist part. And, time permitting, spend a couple days in Wellington to see the town and surrounding area.

There are a few things I'm having a bit of trouble getting past that I'm just not used to. Mainly, the switched seasons and different climate system. How is it in early April? That's basically the same as my October, and the town I've lived in for the last 8 years (before moving to Reno earlier last year) that's about when everybody in town, except me, stored the bikes for the winter due to snow. One of the tour companies said March is their busiest month, so I assume, since April is only one month more, the weather is still good...right? I'm pretty much an all-weather rider (oh man, the bad weather from my last tour is a story in itself...) and will bring 4-season gear but would still like the best riding weather I can get. My main concern, though, are the mountain passes, especially getting to the west coast and Milford Sound.

Right now I'm still looking at dates. I only just got confirmation today that I can take a vacation. Depending on when I can find an available bike, the dates I'm looking at are March 7 - March 22, March 21 - April 5, or March 28 - April 12. Subtract a couple days from any of these dates due to flight time and I've got just under 2 weeks in NZ. I can't wait! :ride:

SARGE
28th January 2009, 18:14
dude.. dont fall for it .. they fuzz your brain up with pretty pictures and such .. and the bastards get you down here .. take all your money in $15 cigs and $30 boxes of Budweiser and call ya Septic / "merkin or "bloody Yank"

cant even get Dr. Pepper ,Country Cut pork ribs or Shake n Bake here

try Sydney..

Jantar
28th January 2009, 18:25
March - April are great months for touring in the South Island. Expect wind to be a minor irritation at times, and rain is likely on the west coast. However the fronts tend to move through very quickly and are followed by brilliant clear weather.

Winter gear is unlikely to be needed this early in the season, and even if you were here mid winter, most days are still rideable.

The bi-annual Southern Cross rally starts on March 23rd, and covers the entire country, finishing right at the bottom of the South Island on March 29th. So you can expect that anywhere in New Zealand will be rideable.

The snow in the mountain passes generally doesn't arrive till mid - late June.

JPOnion
28th January 2009, 19:47
Jantar: Thank you, thats good to hear :) Going early April will help out with finding a bike since rental companies keep telling me things are getting booked up for March. Though they could just be telling me that so I'll hurry up and book something, who knows.

SARGE: Crap, I don't think I can live without Dr. Pepper and Shake N Bake for 2 whole weeks :(

Molly
28th January 2009, 20:08
Sounds like you know what you want to do. I was told to watch out for the three Ss: Sheep, Shingle, and Speed. Police don't have much of a sense of humour if you're more than 10% over the limit, shingle is used to grit the roads on very cold days or just as a temporary and poorly signposted repair, and sheep are, well, just sheep really.

Good luck.

Oh, P.S. Don't forget that weird 'give way to vehicles wanting to turn across your path when you're turning left' thingy, that local drivers don't like to be overtaken because they think your manouver is a statement about the size of their tiny knob (they'll speed up just to piss you off), and that you are totally f'kin' invisible to that dumb bitch who's texting whilst driving.

doc
28th January 2009, 20:21
Time of the year is not a problem. Weather bombs don't usually hit Sth Island until late May June. You should even be able to strike a rally , they are always having them down there. Two weeks should give you a good look. Do the Passes and West Coast from Jackson's Bay to Farewell spit .Like to hear your coments about it when you get home.

scumdog
28th January 2009, 20:27
Oh, P.S. Don't forget that weird 'give way to vehicles wanting to turn across your path when you're turning left' thingy, that local drivers don't like to be overtaken because they think your manouver is a statement about the size of their tiny knob (they'll speed up just to piss you off), and that you are totally f'kin' invisible to that dumb bitch who's texting whilst driving.

More importantly: Don't forget to keep left on the road, remember that, keep left, keep left......

SARGE
28th January 2009, 20:28
Jantar: Thank you, thats good to hear :) Going early April will help out with finding a bike since rental companies keep telling me things are getting booked up for March. Though they could just be telling me that so I'll hurry up and book something, who knows.

SARGE: Crap, I don't think I can live without Dr. Pepper and Shake N Bake for 2 whole weeks :(

try 8 years

McJim
28th January 2009, 20:59
try 8 years

Gah! you think it's tough for you? I have to live without Irn Bru, square sausage, potato scones, deep fried Mars Bars, Scotch Mutton Pies and Tennants 70/- (Seventy Shilling) Ale.

The weather here is fine all year round - Kiwis are wimps and think 10cm constitutes a snow fall - we from the Northern hempisphere are well aware it ain't snow until it's at least a foot deep.

Beemer
29th January 2009, 10:44
Gah! you think it's tough for you? I have to live without Irn Bru, square sausage, potato scones, deep fried Mars Bars, Scotch Mutton Pies and Tennants 70/- (Seventy Shilling) Ale.

The local New World here sells Irn Bru - tried it once, hated it!

Have fun on your trip JPOnion (interesting name!). It sounds like you are only going to have time to see the South Island, but if you make it to the North, let us know as you'd be welcome to stay with us - check out the first thread in this section of the forum for details. We're 110kms north of Wellington so it's not too far away from the ferry terminal to stay with us.

yeahrightmate
29th January 2009, 15:59
If you need a hand to sort out a bike drop me a PM. If you need a place to stay for a few days when you arrive let me know. We are situated just north of Christchurch and would be happy to pick up from the airport.
An option for rental bikes, depending on what you want to ride is Andrea Ladbrook at City Scooters. Don't be put off by the name, they are good people and easy to deal with. http://www.motorcycle-rentals.co.nz/

Hope this helps. Warren

Mom
29th January 2009, 16:03
cant even get Dr. Pepper

Hey SARGE, my son drinks Dr Pepper. He lives in Auckland, how about I find out where he buys it for you eh?

SARGE
29th January 2009, 16:04
Hey SARGE, my son drinks Dr Pepper. He lives in Auckland, how about I find out where he buys it for you eh?

i stumble on it sometimes.. only in cans though..little Chinese dairies have them but only sporadically

Mom
29th January 2009, 16:23
i stumble on it sometimes.. only in cans though..little Chinese dairies have them but only sporadically

Just talked to him. There is a small supermarket in the Albany Mall, by the New World called New Save who sell it in cans, he used to buy it by the tray.

SARGE
29th January 2009, 16:42
Just talked to him. There is a small supermarket in the Albany Mall, by the New World called New Save who sell it in cans, he used to buy it by the tray.

kewl...i'll have a look

portokiwi
29th January 2009, 16:44
:wari: Yes I have seen Dr peppers in some of the Chinese shops in Panmure.
Mate just suck the icing of a Christmas cake...... That stuff is bad:laugh:
If in hardship.... In Christchurch hit the U.S antartic programe its based by the airport.
The guys there drink it they could give you a direction to find some:shifty: and I know they had shake & bake there tooo.... I use to overdose on the junk food machine they had in their ready room:innocent:

JPOnion
30th January 2009, 11:21
Woo! I can't believe I'm doing, this. I haven't been out of the country in years. I've got tickets and a bike all lined up for me to leave March 26, arrive March 28 and ride as much as I can until I have to fly home April 12. :woohoo:

I'm still not sure where I'll be or when, other than the Christchurch airport when I land / depart. My trip planning tends to be to pick a location to go, figure the transport there and back, and let the rest just work itself out from there. :yes: But if the opportunity presents itself I'd love to meet some kiwi riders, so...I guess I'll update when I figure all this out.

yeahrightmate: Once I know more I'll probably be sending a message your way, and I really appreciate the offer. Never having been to the country, and being in the midst of jetlag, it might be a safe bet to wait until the day after I land to pick the bike up. Heh, don't want to suddenly wake up on the wrong side of the road or something.

sondela
1st February 2009, 22:46
Jantar:

Err.. most New World supermarkets in Christchurch sell Dr Peppers in cans, definitely the South City Mall one does.. so don't despair, help is near :)

Bike-aholic
2nd February 2009, 00:16
If you are looking for cheap overnite accommodation the top 10 holiday parks are basic but clean and tidy, we used them quite alot on our bike tour.

http://www.top10.co.nz/find-a-park.html

Also make sure you do the trip from Te Anau to the Milford sounds amazing ride.