PDA

View Full Version : Helmets

The Pastor
22nd February 2005, 18:27
Hey everyone,

Its bean a while. I sold my zxr and am now looking at somthing better.

My question is, would my old helmet look stupid on a cruiser or chopper? In my mind its kind of a sports bike type helmet.
What do you guys reckon?

EDIT: Thanks firestormer for the helmet and gloves :) :banana:

jrandom
22nd February 2005, 18:46
[boggle]

:confused:

Have you considered looking for a helmet that comes with stuffing?

Waylander
22nd February 2005, 19:26
What does your helmet look like? If it has bright colours and all that it depends on the bike you get but if it is just a basic colour with a few designes or so then it should be cool.

I have a black full face helmet with a few red and white dragon decals on it and its fine.

Sparky Bills
22nd February 2005, 19:35
What ever you do, DO NOT go for an open face helmet!!!
They just dont protect you enough on the road.

XTC
22nd February 2005, 20:08
Unless you are getting a Harley..... Then you have to have one.
Remember image is everything - Safety, comfort and practicality should come way way way down the list :niceone:

Holy Roller
22nd February 2005, 20:21
I've had mine over twenty years. yeah they don't protect you from bugs , moths, bees, rain that feels like hail, But then if I had worn my full face there would be no one to tell me to pull the moths out of my beard when I get to work in the mornings.

scumdog
22nd February 2005, 20:23
If you're cool you'll wear what you want and not give a stuff what it looks like.

StoneChucker
22nd February 2005, 20:28
I've had mine over twenty years. yeah they don't protect you from bugs , moths, bees, rain that feels like hail, But then if I had worn my full face there would be no one to tell me to pull the moths out of my beard when I get to work in the mornings.
I like that!!! :niceone:

I guess it's all down to personal choice. I saw a guy on the motorway in Wgtn this morning, on a HD, with a helmet that looked like an army helmet. Hard to describe, it was a MC helmet, but looked like a bowl on his head. Black, with straps. The whole helmet, biker and bike image, to me, looked really good. I thought he must enjoy riding that thing!

Id have to say, a sports helmet would be fine on a cruiser, as long as it's not too outrageous. Then again, do you want to spend the money on a new one just for looks?

Or, get a t-shirt that says: "My helmet looks crap, because the biker I beat up for it, has shyte taste!"

:done:

scumdog
22nd February 2005, 20:34
Got a 'shorty' type helmet I got in Arizona, 'minimal' would the way I would describe it but it's D.O.T. approved and it's the nearest thing to riding with no helmet I reckon.

Might not do me much good if I face planted but hey, that's my risk.

sAsLEX
22nd February 2005, 20:46
Or, get a t-shirt that says: "My helmet looks crap, because the biker I beat up for it, has shyte taste!"

:done:

Yeah a fluro yellow Rossi rep just wouldn't look right on a harley, but whatever floats your boat I suppose :spudguita

Waylander
22nd February 2005, 20:49
Got a 'shorty' type helmet I got in Arizona, 'minimal' would the way I would describe it but it's D.O.T. approved and it's the nearest thing to riding with no helmet I reckon.

Might not do me much good if I face planted but hey, that's my risk.
Anything like one I am wearing in the picture?

scumdog
22nd February 2005, 22:00

Yeah, pretty much so - shorter if anything but also has some air-brushed on eagle thing on it, got it from Kingman H-D while passing through, only neg. point with it is the wind noise as the air goes over the webbing straps. (use ear plugs and it's o.k.)

madboy
22nd February 2005, 22:15
Anything like one I am wearing in the picture?Phew, for a minute there i thought u were riding a harley... but then realised your left hand was positioned about two inches away from where a true harley owner would place theirs...

Waylander
22nd February 2005, 22:17
Phew, for a minute there i thought u were riding a harley... but then realised your left hand was positioned about two inches away from where a true harley owner would place theirs...
And then consider the fact that my mom and sister are in the jeep that the picture was taken from.... and I would ride a harley if I could afford it but I will never turn into your "typical" HD rider.

scumdog
22nd February 2005, 22:18
Phew, for a minute there i thought u were riding a harley... but then realised your left hand was positioned about two inches away from where a true harley owner would place theirs...

Whoo-boy! If it was a Harley rider the left hand would be at least four or more inches FURTHER away than that!! - in fact the position is pretty close to the left handle-bar end!!

Well with me it's PAST that position!! :banana:

XTC
23rd February 2005, 07:39
What the hell are those things on your wrists Conan?? :spudwhat:

Waylander
23rd February 2005, 10:57

Religeous significance. Might explain it one day but right now I'm getting ready for a job interview.

XTC
23rd February 2005, 10:59
Good luck with the interview.

jrandom
23rd February 2005, 11:17
Religeous significance.

They're made of dragon hide?

You can turn them to dragon scale mail with a +1 blessed scroll of enchant armour, you know.

Dodgyiti
23rd February 2005, 11:38

:killingme Conan :killingme

vifferman
23rd February 2005, 11:39
Anybody still think cruisers are comfortable and better than sprotsbikes - take a look at alucard's spine in his photo. :eek: No thanks.

Renegade Master's helmet looks kinda like this picture (black AGV Vento with gold and silver graphics). Of course, it looks much kewler on me. :cool:

Let's all convince him to buy a new helmet - they're not that expensive.

Waylander
23rd February 2005, 13:19
They are made of leather with 5 dragons on them. If you have read my posts in the "religeous ravings" thread you should know what those dragons stand for.

And Vifferman thats just how I rode before I realised I rode that way. I tend to sit up straighter now. That kind of helmet would look fine on a cruiser just dont wear coloured leathers, black is your best bet for not looking silly.

As for the interview, well better luck next time I guess.

The Pastor
23rd February 2005, 21:26
Let's all convince him [renegade] to buy a new helmet - they're not that expensive.

Nah its still good. If it aint broke dont fix it :)

Ok so its been in an accident and the visor is kinda broke but its still good.

Dose anyone here ride with big chains and a padlock? :ar15:

Waylander
23rd February 2005, 21:31
Nah its still good. If it aint broke dont fix it :)

Ok so its been in an accident and the visor is kinda broke but its still good.

Don't have a padlock but I have a chain for my wallet. Came in handy one day when the exhaust pipes on my sister's mini fell off and I used the chain to "tie" it back on.

Holy Roller
23rd February 2005, 21:37
Depends on where the bike is to be left when I get where I'm going

jrandom
23rd February 2005, 21:41
As for the interview, well better luck next time I guess.

Awww, that sucks, dude. What kind of work are you after?

Do you *have* to stay in Hamilton?

Waylander
23rd February 2005, 21:43
Awww, that sucks, dude. What kind of work are you after?

Do you *have* to stay in Hamilton?
Yea have to stay in Hamilton as I'm going to Waikato Uni and I doubt my scholorship will transfer to another uni. As for what I'm looking for, I'm up for anything really though I don't really have any skills. I learn fast though.

jrandom
23rd February 2005, 21:53
Yea have to stay in Hamilton as I'm going to Waikato Uni and I doubt my scholorship will transfer to another uni.

What are you studying?

As for what I'm looking for, I'm up for anything really though I don't really have any skills. I learn fast though.

If you can find something that relates to your chosen topic of study at Waikato, you'll probably have more chance of getting work and you'll also be better set up for jobs post-graduation.

Waylander
23rd February 2005, 21:55
What are you studying?
Mechanical Engineering

If you can find something that relates to your chosen topic of study at Waikato, you'll probably have more chance of getting work and you'll also be better set up for jobs post-graduation.
Tryin that but nothin doin at the moment.

The Pastor
24th February 2005, 13:42
I hear they nead more rubbish collectors.....

Try being a geotechnical technition, you dont nead any skills for that job :niceone: All I do is sit around and play cards all day :)

Waylander
24th February 2005, 13:47
I hear they nead more rubbish collectors.....

Try being a geotechnical technition, you dont nead any skills for that job :niceone: All I do is sit around and play cards all day :)
While it might be fun to get paid to play cards, I've been doin to much of that already. I need a job where I actually do something productive. (no offense) Just don't like having nothing to do... Goin up for an interview tomorrow to deliver milk.

The Pastor
25th February 2005, 06:52
While it might be fun to get paid to play cards, I've been doin to much of that already. I need a job where I actually do something productive. (no offense) Just don't like having nothing to do...

What has this world come to??

jrandom
25th February 2005, 09:33
What has this world come to??

... where a 21-year-old male can be studying for an engineering degree and, at the SAME TIME, want to do real work for a paying job? Dreadful, isn't it. You'd better make sure you keep standing as a lonely beacon in this encroaching darkness.

sAsLEX
25th February 2005, 10:08
... where a 21-year-old male can be studying for an engineering degree and, at the SAME TIME, want to do real work for a paying job? Dreadful, isn't it. You'd better make sure you keep standing as a lonely beacon in this encroaching darkness.

i kinda fit that bill!!!

Waylander
25th February 2005, 10:09
Not only that but I am from the states aswell, where peaple are fat lazy and feel the urge to sue you for some silly reason like eating fast food making you fatter.....

jrandom
25th February 2005, 10:22
Not only that but I am from the states aswell, where peaple are fat lazy and feel the urge to sue you for some silly reason like eating fast food making you fatter.....

In 'Super Size Me', wasn't Houston reported to be the fattest city in the USA?

I get the impression that it's not so much that EVERYONE is fat, as that when they do get fat, they get REEEEEAAAAAL fat.

And now I have that Weird Al Yankovic song stuck in my head.

The Pastor
25th February 2005, 20:16

Im doing the same thing, just in civil, and when it rains I get to play cards. Its a really good job :banana: esp. since they are paying for uni. too.

Just keep in mind this;

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a bannana

Biff
25th February 2005, 20:39
In 'Super Size Me', wasn't Houston reported to be the fattest city in the USA?

I went to Houston last year, and I must admit to walking around in absolute horror at the size of some of the people I saw. Whenever I think back to the sights I saw while there (and I didn't see many, are there any apart from the odd sports stadium? A genuine question), all I see is fat people.

Gasman
14th March 2005, 21:08
Hey everyone,

Its bean a while. I sold my zxr and am now looking at somthing better.

My question is, would my old helmet look stupid on a cruiser or chopper? In my mind its kind of a sports bike type helmet.
What do you guys reckon?

EDIT: Thanks firestormer for the helmet and gloves :) :banana:

Who cares, as long as your'e safe. Ever seen the chin of a guy wearing an open face helmet after a session on the tarmac? Not a pretty site!

Jackrat
19th March 2005, 08:10
Who cares, as long as your'e safe. Ever seen the chin of a guy wearing an open face helmet after a session on the tarmac? Not a pretty site!

Ever seen the head of a 200+kph sportbike rider after it hit the road.
Horses for courses I think.

scumdog
19th March 2005, 09:27

In some ways it seems like you might as well be in a cage when wearing a full-face.

Case in point: I decided for a change to wear my full-face (weather had a potential to turn wet) when I went to Roxburgh to catch up with Jantar, Lynda Blair and Hamish yesterday.

On the way back I saw a cage go past in the opposite direction and thought I recognised it so went to look in the mirror to see who it might be.

What did I do? I glanced up at the top left of my visor to look in the mirror (well that's the approximate location for the mirror in a cage) then realised I wasn't in a cage at all!! Duh!

Ixion
19th March 2005, 09:52
I sometimes think that bikers place too much confidence in helmets (especially expensive ones). Yes, maybe it cost $1000, and can absorb x amount of impact.

But, where is all that impact going? It has to be taken up by your neck, which can only absorb so much force. Beyond that point the spine breaks or compresses.

And apart from that, hit something hard enough with your head, and you'll die , even though your helmet is intact. Because your brain wobbles about inside your skull, like an orange on a drinking straw. Hit your head hard, and the brain bounces off the inside of the skull. Do it hard enough and the brain damage will be fatal. It's called (I think) contra-coup injury

I sometimes sense an unstated (and doubtless unarticulated) notion of " Well, I've spent $x000 on really good gear, so if (when ?) I bin, I should be OK ". Which IMHO is rather a dangerous notion.

Interestingly, bikers are not the first people to come up against this "helmets limitation in preventing head injury" problem.

Mediaeval knights had the same issue (though in their case it wasn't falling off, it was other blokes wacking them over the head with horrid great maces and swords)

What they did, they extended the helmet down and put a ridge on the bottom, and if the helmet was hit hard, it moved down a bit so the ridge came up against their shoulder armour. So the force of the blow was transmitted through to the shoulders. You can take a hell of an impact on your shoulders. This saved their neck, and by "locking up" the head so it didn't move, helped reduce contra coup.

Don't know how this could be extended to motorcycle helmets though

flyin
19th March 2005, 10:24
In some ways it seems like you might as well be in a cage when wearing a full-face.

Case in point: I decided for a change to wear my full-face (weather had a potential to turn wet) when I went to Roxburgh to catch up with Jantar, Lynda Blair and Hamish yesterday.

On the way back I saw a cage go past in the opposite direction and thought I recognised it so went to look in the mirror to see who it might be.

What did I do? I glanced up at the top left of my visor to look in the mirror (well that's the approximate location for the mirror in a cage) then realised I wasn't in a cage at all!! Duh!

u'r still sitting on top of a bigass motor with nothin holdin you on and a couple cms of traction holdin you on the road..... not much like a cage at all really is it?!?!

- hehe yeah i look for my rear view mirror occasionly after getting out of the cage...... feels real stupid when your walking along a!....... i want wingmirrors on my sunnies......

Big Dave
19th March 2005, 10:42
I have a good open face Davida jet helmet and a Shoei XR900 full face.

The open face is for cruising, low speed around town riding. Better peripheral vision and a much better riding experience. It slows me down, a lot - because I know it isn't as safe - but I'm comfortable with the decision.

When i'm hard at it - sports riding, testing bikes, full face and full kit.

There isn't a right answer - just assess the level of risk, type of riding and make an appropriate decison for the conditions.

Open faces suck in the rain.

I'd also wear no helmet sometimes if i was allowed. It should be MY decision.

bd

Ixion
19th March 2005, 10:47
- i want wingmirrors on my sunnies......
:cool:

Years and years and years ago, I wasted a bit of money on these little mirrors that you clipped onto the rims of your Mk VIII's (goggles for you youngsters).

Wonderful idea, just flick your eyes sideways to see behind.

Needless to say it was a complete waste of money. Just didn't work.

Ah well, back to the drawing board

RDJ
19th March 2005, 20:37
[QUOTE=renegade master]Hey everyone,

What do you guys reckon?

I reckon it couldn't look worse than a neurosurgical helmet :-) ...the stats in the latter are why I wear a fullface

But to each his own!