PDA

View Full Version : Motu turns Posh Tourer to The Dark Side.

Motu
22nd February 2005, 21:17
I was going to have a short ride saturday afternoon,and Maarten said he'd like to come along,so we headed north to SH16....my way.Turning off the Old North road into Riverhead Forest and cutting across to Wainui,turning north and going by back roads sealed and unsealed to SH16,off soon into the Kaipara Hills road,looping around to Tauhoa,then a run down SH16 and home as we both had early evening appointments.

We did a few kms of gravel,these roads are usualy great,they are seldom worked on and some have grass growing in the middle,meaning they don't get much traffic.But after the recent bad weather they have tossed down some new gravel in the bad spots.I was a bit concerned for Maarten as thick gravel is not much fun with narrow bars and street tyres,but he coped well and said he wasn't worried,just letting the bike do the work - lucky he was on a BMW eh?

We didn't stop much as it was a short ride,but I got some photos for Maarten to remember that another world exists not far from the main roads,before he heads for countries more civillised.Our first stop was just going up the Kaipara Hills road,coming out of a pine plantation.Then we stopped on the Hoteo River bridge - where are you able to stop parked on a bridge,have a rest and talk and move off when you feel like it,never seeing a car?

Thanks for coming Maarten,it's my choice to ride these roads,so mostly have to go alone.

Skunk
22nd February 2005, 21:32
Looks to be pretty easy going even for a road bike. I guess that's the 'best' bit there (usually is around bridges)?
Don't know that part of the country (esp off the main roads).
Looks good. How many kms?

FROSTY
22nd February 2005, 21:40
Hey motu -next time ya head off up there I'd be keen to join ya--if I aint workin of course :spudwhat:

Yokai
23rd February 2005, 07:40
Now you see, Mrs Y and I would like to do some travelling like that (if she gets a bike) ... Is the XT400 really reliable or what would be a good bike to do things like this and not have to service for 5000k or so? And cheap parts (here and in the rest of the world)

Oscar
23rd February 2005, 08:07
Tremendous.
Do you think he's ready fer Fisher's Track?

http://oscar.smugmug.com/photos/719734-M-1.jpg

http://oscar.smugmug.com/photos/719643-M-1.jpg

XTC
23rd February 2005, 08:42
Tremendous.
Do you think he's ready fer Fisher's Track?

http://oscar.smugmug.com/photos/719734-M-1.jpg

http://oscar.smugmug.com/photos/719643-M-1.jpg
Christ Oscar what are you doing taking those poor road bikes on tracks like that??

Oscar
23rd February 2005, 09:55
Christ Oscar what are you doing taking those poor road bikes on tracks like that??

They bain't be road bikes.

http://4skins.smugmug.com/photos/718952-M-1.jpg

They is very big dirty bikes.

http://oscar.smugmug.com/photos/719735-M-1.jpg

Up for another one, Motu?

Hitcher
23rd February 2005, 10:59
http://4skins.smugmug.com/photos/718952-M-1.jpg

Interesting trivia: in North Island centres, the bus at the rear is known as the BGVL. In the South Island it is known as the BGFT.

Rep points for those who correctly guess the acronyms...

Eddieb
23rd February 2005, 11:09
Interesting trivia: in North Island centres, the bus at the rear is known as the BGVL. In the South Island it is known as the BGFT.

Big Green F*ck Truck for the South, dunno bout the Northern one.

Hitcher
23rd February 2005, 11:42
Big Green F*ck Truck for the South, dunno bout the Northern one.
That's the South taken care of.

Posh Tourer :P
23rd February 2005, 12:03
I was going to have a short ride saturday afternoon,and Maarten said he'd like to come along,so we headed north to SH16....my way.Turning off the Old North road into Riverhead Forest and cutting across to Wainui,turning north and going by back roads sealed and unsealed to SH16,off soon into the Kaipara Hills road,looping around to Tauhoa,then a run down SH16 and home as we both had early evening appointments.

We did a few kms of gravel,these roads are usualy great,they are seldom worked on and some have grass growing in the middle,meaning they don't get much traffic.But after the recent bad weather they have tossed down some new gravel in the bad spots.I was a bit concerned for Maarten as thick gravel is not much fun with narrow bars and street tyres,but he coped well and said he wasn't worried,just letting the bike do the work - lucky he was on a BMW eh?

We didn't stop much as it was a short ride,but I got some photos for Maarten to remember that another world exists not far from the main roads,before he heads for countries more civillised.Our first stop was just going up the Kaipara Hills road,coming out of a pine plantation.Then we stopped on the Hoteo River bridge - where are you able to stop parked on a bridge,have a rest and talk and move off when you feel like it,never seeing a car?

Thanks for coming Maarten,it's my choice to ride these roads,so mostly have to go alone.

These roads were definitely fun, and my bike is still covered in crap from that area with no gravel at all.... Just put on a 90/90-18 Conti SuperTwin front, and I think it isnt as good as the 3.50-18 Metzler that came off.....The front was wandering around a little on the thin loose gravel, but nothing too bad. A square rear tyre also added a little to the slipperiness, I'm not used to quite so much sliding around. It might just have been my efforts to keep up with Motu's half pace though....

There were a few odd moments. Like up a particularly twisty bit, where as I came out I saw some dust in the distance. "Ah a car coming thinks I". Then I notice the dust is travelling away from me....I hadnt realised exactly how slow I was going until then...... Nevertheless, it was good fun. A little more confidence was gained with both the front and back wandering about a little at times.

Those thick gravel patches were really thick, and the gravel was pretty big too. Fortunately they were a different colour, so after being slightly surprised by the first one, I made sure I wasnt doing 110 through the worst bits.... :confused: . They werent an issue as long as I knew they were coming. The bike would wander through and come out the other side pointed in roughly the same direction as I went in, so it all worked out. I wouldnt have wanted to be on a sprotsbike though, they dont have those fancy self-righting mechanisms the beemers have.....

Thanks for the tour Motu, I hope it wasnt too slow for you :D

Motu
23rd February 2005, 15:29
Nah,I don't mind going slow,that's half the fun of those roads,you can go slow and enjoy the scenery.And most important - the input you were recieving,the data flow in and out,the constant demand to stay on the case - you can see why road riding is a bit boring for me,unless one rides at a death defying and licence losing pace.

Jeez Oscar,I'm gonna carry those pictures around my neck to the grave! At that point my pack,which I had secured for a lesurly tour on gravel roads,slipped off and fell dragging over the left side of the bike - I couldn't figure why I couldn't stay on the high ground to the right.After my hissy fit I was a happy chappy,with some REAL riders to help me out on the tricky bits.
I reckon I'd have no trouble at all with the XT that whole weekend - but there'd be less memories eh?

Motoracer
23rd February 2005, 15:33
I'd be keen to come along too, if you don't mind the extra company.

Oscar
23rd February 2005, 15:37
Nah,I don't mind going slow,that's half the fun of those roads,you can go slow and enjoy the scenery.And most important - the input you were recieving,the data flow in and out,the constant demand to stay on the case - you can see why road riding is a bit boring for me,unless one rides at a death defying and licence losing pace.

Jeez Oscar,I'm gonna carry those pictures around my neck to the grave! At that point my pack,which I had secured for a lesurly tour on gravel roads,slipped off and fell dragging over the left side of the bike - I couldn't figure why I couldn't stay on the high ground to the right.After my hissy fit I was a happy chappy,with some REAL riders to help me out on the tricky bits.
I reckon I'd have no trouble at all with the XT that whole weekend - but there'd be less memories eh?

Come on the next one, and then I'll have new pics.
Thinking of going down to Martinborough and going around Cape Palliser.

http://oscar.smugmug.com/photos/2993558-M.jpg

http://oscar.smugmug.com/photos/2993611-M.jpg
These are from last year's Pukemanu ride.

The other one in the works is D'Urville Island..

Skunk
23rd February 2005, 21:10
These are from last year's Pukemanu ride.Don't talk to me about Pukemanu... :angry2:

I'll beat it next time. :confused:

Mr Skid
23rd February 2005, 21:30
I wouldnt have wanted to be on a sprotsbike though, they dont have those fancy self-righting mechanisms the beemers have.....
Tell me about it. :crybaby:

Anyone know where I can get those fancy Mission Impossible sprotsbike knobblies? :unsure:

Oscar
27th February 2005, 13:54
Tell me about it. :crybaby:

Anyone know where I can get those fancy Mission Impossible sprotsbike knobblies? :unsure:

Metzler Karoo or Continental TKC80's...

marty
27th February 2005, 14:20

Big Green Virgin Truck

Big Green Fuck Truck

????

sels1
27th February 2005, 16:13
Now you see, Mrs Y and I would like to do some travelling like that (if she gets a bike) ... Is the XT400 really reliable or what would be a good bike to do things like this and not have to service for 5000k or so? And cheap parts (here and in the rest of the world)

Yep XT400 very reliable - pity I just sold mine.....

Interesting looking roads Motu - must get up that way sometime.