PDA

View Full Version : How do you find out if a de-registered bike was a write-off?

Dolph
2nd February 2009, 22:39
Hi all,

I've searched around a bit (to make sure that I don't drag things over the coals again !), but I cannot find out the info I want. :oi-grr:

Basically I am looking at a VTR250 which had been de-registered and I want to find out if it had been crashed and written-off. :shifty:

The details from the VIR are shown below:

OWNERSHIP
17 months
28-Aug-2007 - current owner
3 weeks
3-Aug-2007 - curent owner
8 months
11-Dec-2006 - GP HONDA LIMITED MT MAUNGANUI
13-Oct-2006 REGISTRATION HAS BEEN CANCELLED
16 months
2-Aug-2005 - "Young lady in Auckland"
8 days
25-Jul-2005 - AUCKLAND MOTORCYCLES AND POWERSPORTS
5 months
10-Feb-2005 - first owner

MILEAGE
4-Jun-2008 25,842 Km
9-Jan-2008 20,975 Km
11-Dec-2006 7,474 Km
13-Sep-2006 7,192 Km
1-Aug-2005 2,254 Km
10-Feb-2005 2 Km
21-Sep-2004 1 Km
Pre-reg check

So,...is there any way of finding out why the bike was deregistered ?

The bike has a cosmetic ding in the fuel tank and the handle bars had been bent,....according to the owner no-one knows how the dent occurred and the handle bars was a seperate incident where someone 'pushed the bike over'.

Anyone got any advice ?? :psst:
Cheers

MSTRS
3rd February 2009, 07:45
Bikes can be written off for the most minor damage. Depends on price of new oem replacement part/s. A re-registered write off is not necessarily a bad thing.
I think you can query the old plate number through a thing called the Insurance Register. Talk to an insurance co...

The Stranger
3rd February 2009, 07:50
11-Dec-2006 - GP HONDA LIMITED MT MAUNGANUI
13-Oct-2006 REGISTRATION HAS BEEN CANCELLED

Hmm, you really need to enquire further?

slimjim
3rd February 2009, 08:39
LTSA..go on VIN Number...bike could have been soly raced for 18month's.. or other reason's too... however if crashed and rebuilt... LTSA should have Vin on record too

Gman71
3rd February 2009, 20:13
"Cancelled" is a sure sign of being written off. (who would do this to then have to go through a $300 re-certification process, in this case 2 months later!)

As opposed to 'Registration lapsed" when someone doesn't re-new their rego for 12 months and LTNZ kindly de-register it for you!

also...Bought then by a Honda Dealer (who has access ot cheap parts hhmmmmm?)

It's been written off.

trust me.

It wil also have a new plate, and the original VIN. no notes of any consequence will be on the LTNZ systemm apart form probably 'written off by insurer'.
That said, with the costs of parts, bits repairs, damage doesn't always have to be that huge to un-economic for an isurer to write-off.

but do you want this argument with someone when you sell it?

AllanB
3rd February 2009, 21:32
but do you want this argument with someone when you sell it?

No problem - just trade it at a dealer on a new bike :2thumbsup

Dolph
3rd February 2009, 21:33
Yes,...I figured it was written off. I found a definition of cancelled rego on carjam:

Glossary: Registration Status

The registration status will show as:

* Active — if the registration is current (but not necessarily licensed);
* Cancelled – if the registration has been cancelled due to the vehicle having been destroyed, written off, or permanently exported out of New Zealand;
* Lapsed – if the registration has been cancelled due to the vehicle having remained unlicensed beyond the period allowed by legislation.

Shame,...it wasn't a bad deal and the bike was probably sound enough. However, as Gman said,...I do not want to have the same problems when I come to sell and upgrade !

Back to the drawing board ! :argh:

Dolph
3rd February 2009, 21:35
Dealers,...in Kerikeri !! I wish :(

Gman71
3rd February 2009, 21:51
click the "explanation" link on the VIR- i think you'll find the same explanation there.....along with any other odd stuff it throws up