PDA

View Full Version : Licencing rides

hobdar
23rd February 2005, 06:46
Hey y'all

Does anyone have the route (Map) for the restricted and full licence test for Lower Hutt or the two Wellington testing centres?

Maybee we could collect the routes from around the country as a resource for kber's?

Cheers
Darryl

Monsterbishi
23rd February 2005, 07:34
Hey y'all
Does anyone have the route (Map) for the restricted and full licence test for Lower Hutt or the two Wellington testing centres?
Maybee we could collect the routes from around the country as a resource for kber's?
Cheers
Darryl

They don't have set routes anymore, now there's a certain area where they carry out the tests.

hobdar
23rd February 2005, 10:05
They don't have set routes anymore, now there's a certain area where they carry out the tests.

Ah crap...was hoping to familairise myself with the areas...damn it.

Thanks

bear
23rd February 2005, 10:21
Recently completed full test out in Lower Hutt, just rode around towards Waterloo from the AA, then back to Lower Hutt and along the road by the river to Avalon.
Pretty easy stuff, right turn, left turn, u-turn. Not sure of knowing the route would help.

jrandom
23rd February 2005, 10:49
Don't stress about the route, hobdar. The restricted and full road tests really are very easy. If you have one coming up, just chill, and remember to indicate, give way and not exceed the speed limit. You'll pass with no worries.

Posh Tourer :P
23rd February 2005, 11:40
I wouldnt worry about it. You ought to be able to do the test on *any* road anyway, and it isnt hard......

hobdar
23rd February 2005, 13:24
Thanks for the input.......

I am not too stressed, I have had my learners for 10 odd years (sat it twice) and have not ridden for several years (on a bike) and was

a) going to hire a bike for the day to sit my restricted and do some practice before hand. (think i will scrap this idea now might need more than just a couple of hours riding)

b) buy a cheap 250 to sit my restricted...and do a couple of weeks riding before doing it....then do the CBTA thing and get my full as soon as possible after....then get me an FZR 400/750/1000 .......

or something anything damit long as i can ride it....Well anything thats not a scooter...

(no offence to any scooter riders....just not my cup of tea....I would look like a big fat (insert your choice for colour of leathers here) marshmellow on a stick....)

Monsterbishi
23rd February 2005, 14:00
Buy a cheap 250, Ride it for a few months until you're ready, then go for the restricted, screw the CBTA thing, just ride out the 6 months on the 250, that way you'll be much better equipped skill wise again to jump on a decent sized bike.

I was on my leaners for over a decade too :-) Got my full just after Christmas :-)

BNZ
24th February 2005, 14:34
i did my restricted this morning at the Tory St testing center. Went up newtown past the hospital. Into some car park at some stadium (i dont know wellington) few u-turns in the carpark then back. Takes 10-15 minutes.

yeeha
5th April 2005, 23:44
Hi everyone, i'm due to sit my full in a week or so at the Tory St, Wgtn licencing place, did my restricted & it was exactly as described in above post. Would appreciate some idea of what and where i'll be going to get some practise in....cheers

Matt :Punk: :Punk:

crazylittleshit
5th April 2005, 23:51
If you do your test in wellington tory st. They take you up to mt vic up past KFC on kent tce. Go up have a look there's one tricky intersection yet the rest of it is all relativley easy

yeeha
6th April 2005, 00:30
Cool, do you know what the street names of that intersection?

250learna
21st April 2005, 23:30
what do you actualy have to do for the restricted? Do you stop every 10m and get more instructions from the aa test person? :unsure:
edit: ohh shit sorry i didnt realise this post was so old :confused:

bear
22nd April 2005, 15:21
what do you actualy have to do for the restricted? Do you stop every 10m and get more instructions from the aa test person? :unsure:
edit: ohh shit sorry i didnt realise this post was so old :confused:

Yip, the guy/girl will tell you the next couple of streets and then you pull over and get some more directions.

pommie girl
22nd April 2005, 18:33
Yip, the guy/girl will tell you the next couple of streets and then you pull over and get some more directions.

My experience was different. Took my test at Quay Street in Auckland, guy told me to pretty much just drive around the block, back to the AA centre and that was it - got my licence. Easy!! :banana:

bear
22nd April 2005, 20:35
Oops, that what's happened for my full, not sure if restricted is different?

Lee Rusty
22nd April 2005, 22:12
it also depends on weather and what sort of bike you ride, ie scooters and 250 sports bikes etc.
Most fail for following to close.
Dont panic - keep to posted speed limit, and you will be fine

Firefight
23rd April 2005, 11:48
it also depends on weather and what sort of bike you ride, ie scooters and 250 sports bikes etc.
Most fail for following to close.
Dont panic - keep to posted speed limit, and you will be fine

sorry I know its :Offtopic: but nice to see you posting here again Lee.

F/F :ride:

yeeha
24th April 2005, 21:51
Hi all, sat my test on Monday, thry pretty much took all over the KFC side of Mt Vic with a 2 way radio and earpiece so i could take directios from the guy following me in the car, one u turn on a c*!t of a narrow street with deep culverts on either side, lots of hazard identification in this area then off to the airport for the 70kph section and back to the testing station. All up took an hour, hardest part was the u turn. I have heard thry can also take you down Owhiro Rd for the 70k section. Good luck to everybody sitting soon.
By the way i passed and sold my CBR250R the following day, just took possesion of my nc30 VFR400 today, sweet as... :2thumbsup :drinknsin

johnsf1980
3rd May 2005, 21:02
My experience was different. Took my test at Quay Street in Auckland, guy told me to pretty much just drive around the block, back to the AA centre and that was it - got my licence. Easy!! :banana:

Im curious as to which centre you took your test at as Id really like to do the practical for my full license on Quay St :D

Also does anyone know where I can rent a <= 250 cc to do my practical test on? Ive got a overseas full license that Im converting to a NZ full license so I dont want to buy a 250cc just to use for the test (am getting a midsized cruiser in a couple of weeks).

Cheers

pommie girl
4th May 2005, 08:29
Im curious as to which centre you took your test at as Id really like to do the practical for my full license on Quay St :D

Also does anyone know where I can rent a <= 250 cc to do my practical test on? Ive got a overseas full license that Im converting to a NZ full license so I dont want to buy a 250cc just to use for the test (am getting a midsized cruiser in a couple of weeks).

Cheers

It was at the AA centre on Quay St in Auckland - but it was only my restricted - I'll be taking my full licence in July. I thought I'd heard that they don't do full licence tests out of Quay Street because they want to take you on the motorway and Spaghetti Junction's the closest and is pretty much always at a standstill...

Not sure about where you'd rent a bike from ... someone else around here might know. Good luck!!