PDA

View Full Version : Foolish dreams...

Motu
4th February 2009, 21:07
It was a case of scratch my ear and find I've won the auction...whether I wanted it or not.I just put in the start bid to signify interest for a possible buy now...and now I own a Rickman Petite....or parts of one.

I never thought I'd ever own another Rickman,they are no longer just some ancient British dinosaur that 90% of the motorcycling is unaware of....they have been prized examples of the best Britain ever made for the last 20 years.I did have a chance of owning a Petite a couple of times,rode them,but never liked the bike.The Metisse had big singles and twins...even my MkIII with the T100C in Daytona tune was a pretty lazy ride.The back wheel just turned up and powered out a rooster tail,and the bike throttle steered wherever you turned your head.The Zundapp in the Petite was like most 2 strokes of the day - a light switch powerband in the top 10% of it's rev range.The bike had to be ridden 100% all the time - no problem for a motocrosser....but as a trail bike it was just too much hard work to enjoy.

I needed another bare frame project like I need another hernia - I cleaned out all my stuff to get down to just half a dozen projects.Still,it's an easy one to do - all I need is a donor farm bike for wheels,forks and engine.But it will be a bike that is less than the sum of it's parts.The perfect engine would be an XR200,but no way will this old vertical twinshocker be as good as a prolink XR200....it will always be a twinshock bike no mater how good it is.

Seeing as I have a shed full of Honda singles(TLR200,TL125,SL125,XL175,SL70) A Honda would be a good choice...but any aircooled dirt bike would do.DT175,ER185,maybe a TS250,DT250 if they would fit.

So pleased to have a Rickman in my possession again,but annoyed at more work to do,more money to spend,the endless list of stuff over my head.But the brain is ticking away on what I can do with it.

The blue bike is what it looked like new....it's fallen a long way from there....

98tls
4th February 2009, 21:13
Respect to ya Motu and good on you,as a lover of things past (read as ive a few projects awaiting time and a lotto win) and have noted many posts of yours with the word Rickman in them its great to see one again in your possesion,good luck and post up pics of your progress.Your only here once eh,enjoy.

martybabe
4th February 2009, 21:17
It was a case of scratch my ear and find I've won the auction...whether I wanted it or not.I just put in the start bid to signify interest for a possible buy now...and now I own a Rickman Petite....or parts of one.

I never thought I'd ever own another Rickman,they are no longer just some ancient British dinosaur that 90% of the motorcycling is unaware of....they have been prized examples of the best Britain ever made for the last 20 years.I did have a chance of owning a Petite a couple of times,rode them,but never liked the bike.The Metisse had big singles and twins...even my MkIII with the T100C in Daytona tune was a pretty lazy ride.The back wheel just turned up and powered out a rooster tail,and the bike throttle steered wherever you turned your head.The Zundapp in the Petite was like most 2 strokes of the day - a light switch powerband in the top 10% of it's rev range.The bike had to be ridden 100% all the time - no problem for a motocrosser....but as a trail bike it was just too much hard work to enjoy.

I needed another bare frame project like I need another hernia - I cleaned out all my stuff to get down to just half a dozen projects.Still,it's an easy one to do - all I need is a donor farm bike for wheels,forks and engine.But it will be a bike that is less than the sum of it's parts.The perfect engine would be an XR200,but no way will this old vertical twinshock be as good as a prolink XR200....it will always be a twin shock bike no mater how good it is.

Seeing as I have a shed full of Honda singles(TLR200,TL125,SL125,XL175,SL70) A Honda would be a good choice...but any air cooled dirt bike would do.DT175,ER185,maybe a TS250,DT250 if they would fit.

So pleased to have a Rickman in my possession again,but annoyed at more work to do,more money to spend,the endless list of stuff over my head.But the brain is ticking away on what I can do with it.

The blue bike is what it looked like new....it's fallen a long way from there....

Interesting read mate, thanks, I don't envy the task you've set yourself though. Love this bit.... ( it will be a bike less than the sum of it's parts):clap: I've ridden a few bikes like that.

Good luck dude.

merv
4th February 2009, 21:26
Mate you just love that old stuff huh!

Bonez
14th February 2009, 03:53
Keep 'm coming Motu.

Motu
14th February 2009, 22:08
Still pissed off at myself for getting this wreck...Some things have clicked together in my head - I was a bit puzzled by the steel tank,I thought they were all fibreglass...but these things were made for the US market,and some had to be street legal.Also the black frame,on closer inspection it is not painted over nickel,it's never been plated,and it's not Renolds 531.The clincher was the seat unit,the tail piece has been built up.

I know this bike! It's the military version,the tail piece had a radio mount,I can see the mount from below.Also explains the tank and black painted frame.I knew the owner over 20 years ago,and he was talking about putting in a T100C....and that explains the removed engine mounts.I didn't want it then,but end up with it now.So is a military Rickman worth having? Gotta be a little bit ''special'' surely?