PDA

View Full Version : Computer wizz needed...

Disco Dan
4th February 2009, 21:13
I am going to be working alot of night shifts where there is no internet access in the next week - but I need to access a specific page to practice the tests on it.

Is there any way of 'saving' the site to a dvd so I can browse it without net connection??

I have tried "save as" and can save a single page as "page source" or "web archive" but both do not include links or allow the flash player part the test runs in to work.

Any ideas???

I know when I build my website I save it all into a folder and upload that to server. Surely there must be a way of 'downloading' all of that to a folder for the site I need???

Any help, much appreciated!

Ta !

R6_kid
4th February 2009, 22:20
Why dont you email the webmaster of the site and explain your situation. Dont forget to mention that NZ is a third world country.

rainman
4th February 2009, 22:26
There are ways that sometimes work, but you typically need to fettle all the paths and the like in the html, that reference the various components of the page (images, CSS, flash objects etc). This is quite fiddly. I did once come across a package that mirrored the content as you surfed, but as I recall it didn't handle anything but bog standard html + images too well, and was Linux only. This was a while ago so it may have improved. I'll go have a hunt and see what I can find.

Mort
4th February 2009, 22:36
Does this help ? Its a kind of total recall of all web pages.

WayBackMachine (http://www.archive.org/web/web.php)

Enter the URL and may be held

Other than that - if you let me know the URL I'll down load the site files and zip em up for yer (if it allows me to do that - some sites are secure.)

Disco Dan
5th February 2009, 01:22
Cheers all, found a program called "Sitesucker" free and appears to be doing the job well.

Lots of options to fiddle with, can limit depth of links and even pretends to be a specific web browser!! Got it 'trickling' the download so the owner does not have a tanty...

Just hope the flash stuff works. Will take all night before I can check it and test it out.

cheers again.

Disco Dan
5th February 2009, 01:42
okay scratch that last post....

Seems the test I wanted on disk is in fact 'java' and has not downloaded... *sigh*

back to the drawing board.

Not a biggie, but thought it would be nice to study for my tests rather than stare at a security monitor of childrens dorms all night!

Slyer
5th February 2009, 06:18
What kind of site is it?
If it includes any type of server side scripting like php etc you're going to have to set all that up as well as any databases that are needed.
Saving KB for example would be impossible without getting a copy of the database.

You can however save any website if you are doing it page by page, but you won't be able to do anything smart with it.

If it's a nice simple site with no server side scripting or database you could try this:
http://www.offlinedownloader.com/
I've never used it just a link I found.

NighthawkNZ
5th February 2009, 06:59
Does the site use a back end database MySQL or something and php makes it a bit harder to have an off line copy... if it is just HTML, flash or CSS then is possible

Disco Dan
5th February 2009, 09:28
sitesucker seems able to take html, but any Java it produces errors. Could be setup wrong not sure and will check its support docs.

Within the page there is a test which is in a java box - that is the part i want. so i can repeat the test over and over. (changes each time).

Slyer
5th February 2009, 09:45
Not sure about java... but if it was flash or something you could just save the element.