PDA

View Full Version : Bike or Scooter?

Biff
23rd February 2005, 13:31
Firstly thank you all ever so much for encouraging Ms Biff in a recent thread. Now she is adamant that Mr Biff purchases a two wheeled motorised vehicle for her. I will be around to collect donations shortly.

Having just had lunch with my 'significant other', the topic was once again at the top of the agenda. The question was raised as to whether we should invest in a scooter or a 250cc 'proper' bike.

I asked her, "When do you see yourself riding on this machine?". To which she replied, " Maybe to the shops, and when the kids grow up a bit or we find a babysitter we trust I could join you on some rides".

Now, from her response I would recommend that she get's a scooter at this stage, and maybe a 250cc later if she so desires.

Because:

a) She may not enjoy riding in the open air (forquit cage drivers, flying Kamikaze insects etc).
b) It may be several years before Ms B (as per her comments) will trust anyone enough to leave the kids with a babysitter for any length of time, in order to join me for a lengthy ride.
c) It's cheaper, and as rich as I am, I'm also really mean.
d) I'm scared she'll end up with a bigger and faster bike than me.

So guys n gals. Your input would be greatly appreciated.

dhunt
23rd February 2005, 13:37
Hey biff have you looked at any of those larger than 50cc scooters, I know suzuki used to make a 5 speed FX 125 I think it was scooter which would probably be idea for cruising round town and would be able to do 100k as well. Not sure what sort of rego you need for these.

Hitcher
23rd February 2005, 13:41
Although I have nothing against scooters, I would recommend that she buys a bike. That way you can both go riding together, should you choose. Little scooters are OK for that down-to-the-shop-sidesaddle stuff but not so good for a fang-out-to-Waipara-for-a-vineyard-lunch stuff...

vifferman
23rd February 2005, 13:43
Do what the vifferbabe suggested to me - buy her summat that you won't feel too much of a pillock communtering on, or that you can actually have fun on. It would be better if you do buy a bike that it gets ridden not too infrequently. Otherwise, buy summat really cheap'n'cheerful, so if she finds out she hates it (being on two wheels), there's not much chance of losing money on it.

Monsterbishi
23rd February 2005, 13:43
Bike gets my vote, imho scooters have a even worse reputation out there than what actual Bikes have, which may well translate to more angry cars out there being unpolite, not giving way, etc.

Think about how often you see scooters flat tack tearing up the inside of a stopped lane of traffic, now compare that to how many bikes you see doing the same thing.

MSTRS
23rd February 2005, 13:45
Firstly thank you all ever so much for encouraging Ms Biff in a recent thread. Now she is adamant that Mr Biff purchases a two wheeled motorised vehicle for her. I will be around to collect donations shortly.

Having just had lunch with my 'significant other', the topic was once again at the top of the agenda. The question was raised as to whether we should invest in a scooter or a 250cc 'proper' bike.

I asked her, "When do you see yourself riding on this machine?". To which she replied, " Maybe to the shops, and when the kids grow up a bit or we find a babysitter we trust I could join you on some rides".

Now, from her response I would recommend that she get's a scooter at this stage, and maybe a 250cc later if she so desires.

Because:

a) She may not enjoy riding in the open air (forquit cage drivers, flying Kamikaze insects etc).
b) It may be several years before Ms B (as per her comments) will trust anyone enough to leave the kids with a babysitter for any length of time, in order to join me for a lengthy ride.
c) It's cheaper, and as rich as I am, I'm also really mean.
d) I'm scared she'll end up with a bigger and faster bike than me.

So guys n gals. Your input would be greatly appreciated.
I never encouraged her, so I'll be out when you come to collect. Anyway she'd be better off with a BMW/sidecar combo & forget about the babysitter. :banana:

Hitcher
23rd February 2005, 13:59
Do what the vifferbabe suggested to me - buy her summat that you won't feel too much of a pillock communtering on, or that you can actually have fun on. It would be better if you do buy a bike that it gets ridden not too infrequently. Otherwise, buy summat really cheap'n'cheerful, so if she finds out she hates it (being on two wheels), there's not much chance of losing money on it.
I'd recommend a Kawasaki EL250 Eliminator.

crashe
23rd February 2005, 13:59
Ok I will stand up and say yep I encouraged Mrs Biff Baff to get a bike...
Note I said "bike"

I think what you need to do, is the both of you go to the bike shops,
and let Mrs Biff Baff sit on them... when she has sat on a few,
she will know what she would really like to ride.
It is Mrs Biff Baff that will be riding this bike after all.

If she chooses a bike over a scooter then thats great.
But let her sit on cruiser's, sports and tourer bikes.
Get her to also sit on a few scooters.
Mrs Biff Baff really needs to get the feel of them and the weight,
that she will have to push up from when its on the stand.
And also be able to have both feet firmly on the ground,
when the bike is at a stand still.

A 50cc scooter she can ride it around just on a car license.
Scooters also come in all sorts of cc ratings now.. 50cc up to 500cc.

But I would go for a bike over a scooter.
She will soon let other people look after the kids....
in fact it could be you, Mr Biff Baff looking after them,
when Mrs Biff Baff wants to go on a KB ride.

Mrs Biff Baff all the best having a look at the bike etc...
Remember, Mrs Biff Baff, dont let Mr Biff Baff talk you into
something that you don't like.
:spudwave: :wari: :banana: :yeah:

vifferman
23rd February 2005, 14:02
I'd recommend a Kawasaki EL250 Eliminator.
As being...?
Cheap'n'cheerful?
Fun?
Summat one wouldn't feel too pillocky on?
All of the above?
None of the above (i.e., an idea just plucked from out of your bottom or summat)?

Biff
23rd February 2005, 14:03
Superb advice so far guys.

Mrs Biff Baff, dont let Mr Biff Baff talk you into
something that you don't like.
:spudwave: :wari: :banana: :yeah:

She wouldn't let me!

Joni
23rd February 2005, 14:05
A bike gets my vote too!
:niceone:
A scooter will never give her a real biking experience which means she will never understand your passion until she rides a real bike herself... imo...

flyin
23rd February 2005, 14:06
a tidy 250 (say a gn or sumthin similarly economical) costs about the same as a late model scooter and theres a whole lot more options once she has it.

-they are big enough to ride on the open road and maintian a reasonable speed without having a chance of embarrasing you on your toy even through the tighter roads.

-she can learn a whole lot more about braking and clutch control (as scooters dont have them...

-she will be able to sit restricted and full licenses on it.

-you wil be able to ride it wen your bikes at the shop without looking like a complete plonker on a scooter in full racing kit

sAsLEX
23rd February 2005, 14:17
something nice and simple to keep going like a GN especially if it could sit in the garge for a time! and then you could commute on it to save your tyres for decent rides!

Hitcher
23rd February 2005, 14:27
As being...?
Cheap'n'cheerful?
Yes. They're not too pricey -- boi racers prefer things with double rs on the end or vacuum cleaner hoses on the front. I think that the Eliminator is quite a nice looking ride -- not too cruisery. I think the engine is a detuned version of the GPX250 or summat. Still redlines at 12,500rpm though.

Fun?
You betcha. They are surprisingly nippy and nimble. And a six-speed box gives them legs to stretch on the open road. Mrs H had one and rode it around the North Island, and a range of other places, covering 16,500km in nine months. Even going sideways down the Hutt Motorway in the rain didn't do too much damage to it.

Summat one wouldn't feel too pillocky on?
Not at all. The ergonomics suit both short and tall riders. They're not true peg-forward cruisers, so the riding position is quite "natural".

All of the above?
Guess so.

None of the above (i.e., an idea just plucked from out of your bottom or summat)?

SuperDave
23rd February 2005, 14:50
How about a nice FXR150? Perfect to learn on with the gear indicator, plus they look real good in blue.

Hitcher
23rd February 2005, 15:04
How about a nice FXR150? Perfect to learn on with the gear indicator, plus they look real good in blue.
Not good for shorter riders.

Joni
23rd February 2005, 15:10
Not good for shorter riders.

Correct...!
OK I have not read the whole thread.... how tall/short is Mrs Biff? Im just over 5ft... so I can advise if required....

[edit] read it now... still dont know :confused: Shout if you need help Biff!

Riff Raff
23rd February 2005, 15:18
I say go for a bike. GN250s are pretty good value and are superb learner motorbikes. You really can't go wrong with one of them.

Wolf
23rd February 2005, 15:34
I'd go with the bike - get something that will do for a while from Learners up to Full - false economy buying a scooter just to have to flick it off for less later and buy a bigger bike.

Also not keen on the smaller scooters - piss-awful narrow, tiny wheels that throw the steering around if you hit a grain of sand (OK, I exaggerate a little :whocares: ) better to get a more substantial bike with decent wheels - better road contact, better braking and better control. I think a lot of the smaller bikes deemed fit for "learners" are bloody hair-raising - brakes seem to be an after-thought, handling sux etc.

I'd recommend a GN250 if it's an appropriate fit.

My tuppence worth, anywayz

Lias
23rd February 2005, 15:43
I'm bias but I'll have to vote for a GN250

I started on a TR50 (which is really just a glorified scooter in a bike shape), and I just couldnt wait to get something a bit bigger and faster.

First "real" bike I played on was a GN125, which isnt too bad but I definitly prefered my GN250, and my friend who is the owner of the GN125 prefers my 250 too.

Price wise it's not a huge leap. I paid $2300 for my used TR50, a GN125 is around 2400 +onroad costs new, and my GN250 was a whopping 2995+onroad costs.

Slipstream
23rd February 2005, 16:24
Firstly thank you all ever so much for encouraging Ms Biff in a recent thread. Now she is adamant that Mr Biff purchases a two wheeled motorised vehicle for her.

Damn skippy you should too :)

John
23rd February 2005, 16:43
OK, tell you what dont demoraliser her with a scooter in the 50cc range, its depressing not being able to do the speed limit most of the time, and all they are good for is wheelies.

Past week I have being communting on one, bloody hate it I will NEVER IN MY LIFE resort to riding one again, it even got to the point were I couldnt stand it at all and walked all the way to tech (est 1 1/2 hours) now thats saying something, a 5 min trip on the bike turnded to a 15 min trip on the scooter, and bastards everywhere pulling in front of me, EVEN A TRUCK TODAY!

I refuse to let anyone I know get a scoot, go hunt a GN go for the older ones (86) or so because they are cehap 600$ and go fine, then when she decides if she wants to stick with it you got plenty of money for an upgrade.

IMO.

**R1**
23rd February 2005, 17:05
I say go for a bike. GN250s are pretty good value and are superb learner motorbikes. You really can't go wrong with one of them.
And they seem prety dam cheap 2...

gav
23rd February 2005, 17:11
Yamaha TMax 500
http://goldwing.bikepics.net/yamaha-tmax-02-bikepics-056952.jpg

Coyote
23rd February 2005, 17:13
Yamaha TMax 500

Bit daft lookin

dhunt
23rd February 2005, 20:22
I'd go with the bike - get something that will do for a while from Learners up to Full - false economy buying a scooter just to have to flick it off for less later and buy a bigger bike.

Also not keen on the smaller scooters - piss-awful narrow, tiny wheels that throw the steering around if you hit a grain of sand (OK, I exaggerate a little :whocares: ) better to get a more substantial bike with decent wheels - better road contact, better braking and better control. I think a lot of the smaller bikes deemed fit for "learners" are bloody hair-raising - brakes seem to be an after-thought, handling sux etc.
Be careful what you say about scooters, some of theses guys are very very quick.

SuperDave
23rd February 2005, 20:49
Wouldn't an FXR150 be better than a GN250 for a longer ride as well? I would think so, I've never ridden a GN but I've heard how gutless they are. I took the FXR down to the races last sunday and it had no problem holding 120 - 130kph for much of the time.

Biff
23rd February 2005, 20:58
Correct...!
OK I have not read the whole thread.... how tall/short is Mrs Biff? Im just over 5ft... so I can advise if required....

Ms Biff is a towering 5'10", and slim. High heels are obviously banned from being warn whilst in my company in public, as they interfere with my ego (me being all of 5'10" as well).

So leg room may be a bit of an issue. But no more than your average (ish) sized guy I guess.

My tuppence worth, anywayz

Your bloody tuppence worth is what's gonna cost me several thousand tuppences now, thanks to your comments in the 'other' thread. :angry2:

(PT)

Storm
23rd February 2005, 21:22
I can recommend a GN (wow, another one) as a nice easy learners bike :done: :apint:

StoneChucker
23rd February 2005, 21:32
I took a friend scooter shopping today. Had quite a good look at what is out there. Personally I'd recommend a suitable bike, but the fact is if it's just around town, scooters are easier to ride. Another bonus being you only need a car licence.

Scooters however, are not allowed on the motorways (as the salesman told us). Also, as it has been said, they don't have a very high top speed.

My suggestion is to get her a cheap scooter, so she can get a feel for biking, but get her to get her motorbike learners too. This way, if/when she decides she wants to move up to a bike, she's already well underway with the licencing process.

Depending on your finances, there are some pretty cool scooters if thats your thing. I did manage to persuade my friend to go with a slightly better model of scooter, than the entry level japanese "Whippet". It's now a choice between a "new shape" sporty looking one at Sawyers, and a "retro style" at TSS. Both new, 50cc. TSS is a 4 Stroker and Sawyers is a 2 Stroker. Hey, she said I could have a go when she gets it. So, on scooters, is doing wheelies the same as on my bike? Do I just sit at 60 in first, open her up and tug on the bars? :2thumbsup

Joni
24th February 2005, 06:59
Ms Biff is a towering 5'10", and slim. [I]High heels are obviously banned from being warn whilst in my company in public, as they interfere with my ego (me being all of 5'10" as well).

:laugh:
Wow, she is almost a foot taller than me, then size is not an issue on the bike you choose really, take her for a look, see what she likes and together with your knowledge you guys should find something great... Hondas are great to learn on I think... easy as.

Good luck Biff! - Let us know what you guys decide on (piccies as well!)...

:niceone:

Zapf
24th February 2005, 20:05
How about one of these? as a car / bike cross over?

http://www.bmwworld.com/models/concepts/c1_models.jpg

StoneChucker
24th February 2005, 20:49
How about strengthening the roof and adding 1 sturdy flush mounted wheel. That way you could do 360 stoppies?

sAsLEX
24th February 2005, 20:52
did they get the helmet exemption in NZ???

Hitcher
24th February 2005, 21:02
did they get the helmet exemption in NZ???
No. Non. Nein. Negatory.

Dutchee
24th February 2005, 21:18
I first had a nifty fifty, then moved up to a CH250 (yah, those scooters old men ride & dad wonders why i gave it to him). I also got my full bike licence on the nifty. I fell off it many, many, many times (them damned wheels are too small). I also ran the 250 up the date of a car (I shouldn't have been thinking about what I had to do & not paying attention), I had the whole bike stack fall on top of it not long after getting it fixed (never bothered after that) & fell off it a few times.

I got my full licence on the 50 and even rode it on the m/w (the 250 was being fixed & going from Te Atatu to Ellerslie, no way could I avoid it totally), but that was over 10 years ago. My boss also couldn't understand why when I rode the 50 I was earlier than on the 250. I had to leave earlier to avoid as much traffic as possible, stop off at the servo on my way in.

It was great transport, it was dangerous as hell and no way would I do it again. My vote is bike, especially at her height.

As for those things with a roof, I've seen one & just don't understand. I guessed it was KR taking it for a test ride as surely no one would buy one.

Oh, how about one of those car/bike things that does a 45deg lean angle (as shown on Top Gear last year or so) - now that looks fun.

sAsLEX
24th February 2005, 21:50
Hells pizza have some crazy little three wheeled enclosed scooters for deliveries on the shore, now they would be weird to ride!

Wolf
27th February 2005, 00:01
How about one of these? as a car / bike cross over?
Those semi-enclosed Beemers? I was going to see if there was a thread on here about people's opinions of them.

They scare the crap outta me! The idea that you might go for a skate and still be trapped in the bike - UGH!

Looks like the worst of both worlds - trapped like in a cage but without the protection.

I could be wrong, of course, never ridden one. I get fidgetty just looking at them.

moko
27th February 2005, 03:49
I only saw a few scooters when I was in N.Z. but in Europe they`re massively popular.Some of them are really neat-looking and popular with young people.I`ve got a mate who passed his test and bought a 125 Yam scooter,his mileage would have put many to shame and because of the weather protection and riding position he was warmer and drier than he`d be on a bike plus he didn`t walk like John Wayne after doing a 600 mile round trip one weekend.He`s now got a 400 and dosnt understand why anyone would ride a traditional motorcycle.We now get some really neat-looking ones,Yamaha`s T-Max is a really neat styling job and Aprilia do a 650 which handles like a "real bike" plus you`ve got built-in carrying capacity and plenty of weather protection.

moko
27th February 2005, 04:10
O.k. so this isn`t really an option but may be of interest.It`s called a Quasar and went into limited production in the 80`s.Typically the engineering was sound,good product but the company couldn`t raise the finance to make it a viable proposition.There are still a few around,probably way ahead of it`s time.all the bike mags raved over them and the handling in particular was apparently excellent.

http://www.vintageweb.net/ccpa/bikes/bruce.jpg

Wolf
27th February 2005, 08:53
O.k. so this isn`t really an option but may be of interest.It`s called a Quasar and went into limited production in the 80`s.Typically the engineering was sound,good product but the company couldn`t raise the finance to make it a viable proposition.There are still a few around,probably way ahead of it`s time.all the bike mags raved over them and the handling in particular was apparently excellent.
The votes are in:
Tangwyn (1.5 years old) thinks the Quasar is a bike, Taliesin (2.5 years old) thinks its a car. I'm 41 years old and still scratching my head over it.

Really wish people wouldn't build things like the Quasar or those covered Beemers - I have a nagging fear that the brain-damaged pen-pushers we have writing legislation will see them and the next thing you know it'll be compulsory for all motorcycles to have rooves, windsheilds, high-backed seats, seatbelts, airbags... side doors... two more wheels... all in the interests of "safety" (from someone who rides the unit to Wellington to work in a cotton-wool-lined govt office with the workplace's OSH policy set into a gold frame on the wall)

Wolf
27th February 2005, 09:14
Scooter or bike or... this...

http://www.americanroadshop.com/The_Monocycle/kerry_riding.JPG

Image from Kerry McLean's Monocycles:
http://www.americanroadshop.com/The_Monocycle/the_monocycle.html

Gen
27th February 2005, 13:18
Scooter bad,bike good.Nuff said. :apint: