PDA

View Full Version : Attack of the On-Line Droogs

jrandom
5th February 2009, 09:28
This commentary was posted on a blog recently by a film critic whom I've been reading online for over a decade. I thought it might strike a chord with a few folk here.

The Internet can be a hell of a nasty place in which to interact. It's a chicken-and-egg situation. Is the unpleasant and hostile on-line an environment the result of a growing cultural incivility and impoliteness, or are we becoming more belligerent in person because that's where the impersonal nature of computer interaction is leading us? Either way, there's a problem, and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. People trading comments in forums, participating in chats, and sending e-mails think nothing of launching unprovoked, vicious attacks against others. It's disheartening to read some of these things. Certainly, these cretins represent a vocal minority, but their numbers are growing. A few years ago, it was easy enough to identify these on-line droogs. Now, having been fruitful and multiplied, they have turned even comfortable corners of the Internet into potential hell holes.

Why am I writing about this now? Some might think it is because I'm less than two weeks away from opening the ReelViews forums which will, for the first time, provide a two-way channel of communication between critic and readers for all to see. Truth be told, I am a little worried about the reception of this forum. Part of me wonders whether anyone will visit and whether it will quickly become an abandoned appendage to the main site. (If that happens, at least I can say I tried.) But I'm more worried about spammers, trolls, and those whose sole purpose is to incite flame wars. There's only so much moderators can do, and the last thing I want is for the ReelViews forums to turn into a contentious and unfriendly stop on the Internet superhighway. Actually, though, the underlying reason for this column has more to do with something unrelated that occurred on Monday.

For years, one of my daily morning stops has been to the blog of AccuWeather meteorologist Henry Margusity, who provides write-ups and videos about the short-term and long-term weather prospects for the United States. Yesterday's East Coast storm bedeviled meteorologists far and wide as they tried to pin down the storm's track and intensity. Over the weekend, Henry was among the 95% that got it wrong, and he had to change his short-range forecast several times. For this, he was subsequently eviscerated. I was shocked at how nasty some of the comments were, and it made me angry to think there were being read not only by Henry, but by his family and friends. There was no sense of perspective. Yes, Henry blew a forecast, but it's not as if he did it on purpose or with malice aforethought. We all know that weather forecasting is not an exact science.

Monday afternoon, in the wake of this flood of electronic bile, Henry announced that he was hanging it up. No more blog entries. Could anyone blame him? Two hours later, after hundred of impassioned e-mails, he reversed his decision. The silent majority sang and the droogs were defeated - at least temporarily. But, while Henry was vindicated, the Internet was not. It's more than disheartening to recognize the degree of thoughtlessness and cruelty that lurks out there.

It's important, I think, to understand why people commit these senseless acts. A lot of it has to do with the nature of on-line interaction. We sit at a computer and type. There's no sense that there's another real flesh-and-blood person at the other end. We're interacting with a computer, not with someone who has feelings and emotions. There are no consequences to lashing out because computers are soulless and impervious to words. The problem is that perception - or at least this one - is not reality. Every word reaches a very human target and there's a reason why Edward Bulwer-Lytton coined the phrase that "the pen is mightier than the sword."

I have a simple philosophy when it comes to on-line communications: never write what you would feel uncomfortable saying to a person face-to-face. Few apply that simple maxim. I sometimes tell a story about an incident that occurred in the late '90s. I got into a heated e-mail debate with a reader. Although I tried to keep the discourse calm, he resorted to name-calling and profanity and I eventually stopped responding to his e-mails. By chance, I met him a year later at a film festival. He sheepishly admitted who he was and wanted to get away from me as quickly as possible. It didn't take a student of human nature to understand that he was mortified. On-line, he was bold and brash. Faced with the flesh-and-blood target of his slings and arrows, the bravado was gone.

Yes, from time-to-time, I have written nasty things about films and those who make them. Although it's my job to be blunt, there are occasions when I have gone too far and gotten too personal in an attempt to be witty or amusing. Of late, I have been trying to refrain from anything that resembles a personal attack and restricting the negative comments to the work in question. It's fair game to criticize someone's work but there is a line. In a review, it's not always easy to identify. In blogs, forums, e-mails, and public comments, it's usually much easier. Those who attack in those arenas are like animals who have scented blood. They don't think about ethics. They don't think about the feelings of their victims. In fact, they don't think. They simply act, because it's an electronic playground and there are no real-world consequences. And, if something bad happens, well, it's not really their fault, is it?

The Internet is a tool, not a force for simplistic terms like "good" or "evil." Without it, I never would have connected with my wife. Without it, no one would be reading this. But while it's easy to laud its positive qualities, one must not forget its darker side. All I'd really like to see is a little more patience, kindness, and thoughtfulness put into on-line communication. A reminder that the person on the other end is an equal, not an avatar. That, however, is asking for the impossible. Welcome to a brave new age, where civility is an antiquated concept that applies only to wimps and old people.

- James Berardinelli, Reelviews (http://www.reelviews.net/movies.php) (reproduced by permission)

Str8 Jacket
5th February 2009, 09:48
FFS. Anyone and I mean ANYONE that takes the internet that seriously, seriously needs to get a life!

cowboyz
5th February 2009, 09:57
Way to miss the point!

To start with, I think online forums are a joke but only because people on them flip flop between saying the internet is not real and the poster who is waiting in the curtains to see if s/he can turn every thread into a shitfight.

Actually, I was going to construct a post about this being the modern age and the internet is a valid way to communicate with people and should be taken seriously but the irony just hit me.

As you were.

Disco Dan
5th February 2009, 10:08
I can name a dozen people that are no longer an active member of KB because of flame wars. Even more that vanish for weeks even months then return after the dust has settled.

I myself am not only a recipient of this negative flaming but also an instigator.

cowboyz
5th February 2009, 10:20
thankyou for sharing. only 11 steps to go

Mully
5th February 2009, 10:44
This commentary was posted on a blog recently by a film critic whom I've been reading online for over a decade.

Bro, how slowly do you read?

jrandom
5th February 2009, 10:48
Bro, how slowly do you read?

I think you should ask, rather, how quickly does he write?

Number One
7th February 2009, 08:59
:lol: Yes yes, let's all be very nice and sweet to each other online...all the time eh? Like we are in real life...cos of course people aren't thoughtless and cruel offline now are they?

Do find this thread, the topic and who started it quite ironic. Like I mean...you set a fine example don't you Dan? :rolleyes:

BTW - I could select examples of your 'civility' from many many posts but this one gave me a really good feel for just what a 'good civil guy' you are :niceone:

I would add a corollary to his (most likely accurate) comments to you by pointing out that overweight worn-out semen dumpsters shouldn't really waltz on into a thread like this and tell the men of KB that they're unattractive.

In this instance the boys were being very emotional. As the lady in question was not referring to anyone. That thread was so effing long I doubt she even bothered to read it all OR notice there were a few pictures attached around the place. She was not inferring that men of KB are unattractive but instead was trying to prompt the posting of some pics thus proving that they aren't.

Bloody drama queens are everywhere and a lot of them seem to have COCKS! :rolleyes:

On a side note - I have noticed that all is well while guys dish out the shitty comments and rude personal attacks but if the girls do it - well that's just not on! THEN the guys responses become more bitchy then any REAL bitch I have ever had the privelage to see in full flight attack. So girls are supposed to just be pretty and polite eye candy that nod and smile and say ooo you boys are all so great all the time? fragile egos are so easily bruised :rolleyes: get over it! Women got over playing that role to appease men a long time ago....some of you guys could do with moving with the times and opening up your minds a little otherwise you may never find happiness with a real live 'current' woman.

nodrog
7th February 2009, 09:05
i dont like the Droogs, but the Droogs like me ......

jrandom
7th February 2009, 09:17
Yes yes, let's all be very nice and sweet to each other online...all the time eh?

Absolutely not. Remember, the words in the first post aren't mine.

Sometimes, a carefully targeted attack can make an online forum better for everybody. DangerousBastard, for instance, has shut up and disappeared after the rather exhausting coordinated assault on his sanity which I had the honour of participating in (and being bloodied by the moderators in return for - no gain is without sacrifice).

And the female I wrote to in that post you quoted, I note, has also gone rather quiet in the general forums. Perhaps it rang a few bells of truth in her mind, and she considered it wise to keep her head down for a while?

Or perhaps not; perhaps she just doesn't have much to say.

Either way, when I write and post a vicious attack, I assure you - I'm fully aware of its gravity, and it is something I'd also say in person.

Number One
7th February 2009, 09:20
Either way, when I write and post a vicious attack, I assure you - I'm fully aware of its gravity, and it is something I'd also say in person.

See that is sad.

I can't ever imagine telling someone they are an overweight cum dumpster to their face...no really not for even a second and certainly not because I am offended on someone elses behalf over nothing.

Actually one more thing - you are aware of its gravity are you. So do you worry or even consider what all those silent lurkers think ABOUT YOU when they read your posts?

sinfull
7th February 2009, 09:25
:lol: Yes yes, let's all be very nice and sweet to each other online...all the time eh? Like we are in real life...cos of course people aren't thoughtless and cruel offline now are they?

Do find this thread, the topic and who started it quite ironic. Like I mean...you set a fine example don't you Dan? :rolleyes:

BTW - I could select examples of your 'civility' from many many posts but this one gave me a really good feel for just what a 'good civil guy' you are :niceone:

In this instance the boys were being very emotional. As the lady in question was not referring to anyone. That thread was so effing long I doubt she even bothered to read it all OR notice there were a few pictures attached around the place. She was not inferring that men of KB are unattractive but instead was trying to prompt the posting of some pics thus proving that they aren't.

Bloody drama queens are everywhere and a lot of them seem to have COCKS! :rolleyes:

On a side note - I have noticed that all is well while guys dish out the shitty comments and rude personal attacks but if the girls do it - well that's just not on! THEN the guys responses become more bitchy then any REAL bitch I have ever had the privelage to see in full flight attack. So girls are supposed to just be pretty and polite eye candy that nod and smile and say ooo you boys are all so great all the time? fragile egos are so easily bruised :rolleyes: get over it! Women got over playing that role to appease men a long time ago....some of you guys could do with moving with the times and opening up your minds a little otherwise you may never find happiness with a real live 'current' woman.

Absolutely not. Remember, the words in the first post aren't mine.

Sometimes, a carefully targeted attack can make an online forum better for everybody. DangerousBastard, for instance, has shut up and disappeared after the rather exhausting coordinated assault on his sanity which I had the honour of participating in (and being bloodied by the moderators in return for - no gain is without sacrifice).

And the female I wrote to in that post you quoted, I note, has also gone rather quiet in the general forums. Perhaps it rang a few bells of truth in her mind, and she considered it wise to keep her head down for a while?

Or perhaps not; perhaps she just doesn't have much to say.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lich59xsjik&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lich59xsjik&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

jrandom
7th February 2009, 09:28
I can't ever imagine telling someone they are an overweight cum dumpster to their face...no really not for even a second

I guess it takes all sorts, then, doesn't it?

So do you worry or even consider what all those silent lurkers think ABOUT YOU when they read your posts?

I wouldn't say 'worry'. 'Consider'? Certainly.

Now, you may have difficulty with this concept, but my mission in life, y'see, does not include making as many people as possible want to be my friend.

Oddly enough, I don't really like people who have that mission.

Number One
7th February 2009, 09:36
Now, you may have difficulty with this concept, but my mission in life, y'see, does not include making as many people as possible want to be my friend.

Oddly enough, I don't really like people who have that mission.

There you go with your 'well informed' assumptions again :rolleyes: Making people want to be friends :lol: god you do overestimate the power one person can have over others..especially strangers.

As for that last bit - I would say it seems that you actually DON'T LIKE PEOPLE full stop :lol:

jrandom
7th February 2009, 09:57
There you go with your 'well informed' assumptions again :rolleyes: Making people want to be friends :lol: god you do overestimate the power one person can have over others..especially strangers.

Hmmm? Not quite sure what you're getting at there. Surely you've met people who are like that, y'know, they just have to be loved by everyone, and their world falls apart when they're not?

And, of course, those people tend to be rather unreliable in their affections. Prone to turning on others, etc. Not a very nice personality type.

I would say it seems that you actually DON'T LIKE PEOPLE full stop

I suppose that, given a certain mindset, it's easy to generalise into the conclusion that if I don't like you, the semen dumpster or DangerousBastard, I must not like anyone at all.

But I don't actually dislike you, y'know. I just think you're a little bit... bothered about things.

I hope that won't trigger the "You don't know me!" tirade.

Number One
7th February 2009, 09:58
No tirade triggered - we just don't get each other but we BOTH THINK WE DO.

Gorgeous day here - time for a ride :headbang: