7th February 2009, 00:20
6/10 for me.... must be good at guessing :laugh:

tri boy
7th February 2009, 07:43
5/10.:weep:
Going to the puke classics to swat up:2thumbsup

Ixion
7th February 2009, 09:38
8/10. I disagree with the answer to #10. The plunger Norton frame was colloquially called the Garden Gate , not the Golden Gate.

Paul in NZ
7th February 2009, 10:09
10/10

Garden gate - jeeze louise.... Golden Gate?

xwhatsit
7th February 2009, 10:13
8/10. That Manx question is mean, everybody knows every Norton had a featherbed frame :rolleyes:

Motu
7th February 2009, 11:38
10/10 - to be expected of course...I didn't even need to think,let alone do a Google.

Who is going to admit to the Golden Gate Dave? They need the Golden Rivet award.I nearly clicked 1690 for the Bonnie,because they are pretty old eh?

Big Dave
7th February 2009, 15:48
Who is going to admit to the Golden Gate Dave?

The books says garden - read it on some site.

I'll change it.

taa.

Big Dave
7th February 2009, 15:52
10/10

Garden gate - jeeze louise.... Golden Gate?

Why I ask you guys first.

taa.

Big Dave
7th February 2009, 15:55
We'll use Chadwick for the Triumph one.

Excellent source.

http://www.ianchadwick.com/motorcycles/triumph/

James Deuce
7th February 2009, 16:17
10/10 - Golden Gate should be Garden Gate. Oops - you clever guys saw that then?

I have to stop hanging around Paul - I've started learning stuff.

Big Dave
7th February 2009, 16:22
Fixed now - hit refresh.

Voltaire
7th February 2009, 23:05
10/10........golden gate...:2guns:
Off to Puke tomorrow :clap:

pete376403
8th February 2009, 00:18
10 out of 10 were correct.

Needs a few obscure questions. Those ones are pretty mainstream

Big Dave
8th February 2009, 09:27
Good idea.

We'll do an obscure one too. Like:

Name the engineering and design firm that has supplied to Coventry, Meriden and Hinckley Trimphs?

What model was named after them?

Ixion
8th February 2009, 09:37
Weslake? Pure guess, don't think they were around in Coventry days.

Big Dave
8th February 2009, 15:25
The Riccy was named after Riccardo Engineering.

Ixion
8th February 2009, 16:31
Ah. Him. Of course. But isn't it one c ?

Big Dave
8th February 2009, 21:06
Ah. Him. Of course. But isn't it one c ?

I'll have to check.

pete376403
8th February 2009, 21:15
Which British company was the first to introduce a five speed gearbox on production road bikes?

Big Dave
8th February 2009, 22:03
Nah - I'd have to guess or google.

In the spirit I'll guess:

Triumph Bonneville.

Although something like Brough Superior would not surprise.

pete376403
8th February 2009, 23:06
Royal Enfield 250 Super 5 around 1960

Bullitt
8th February 2009, 23:08
6/10 though it was only questions 9 & 10 I knew as opposed to guesses be they random or slightly educated

Brian d marge
9th February 2009, 00:57
Wasn't the nickname given to the single backbone frame design , a garden gate , because it handled like one??

Therefore the answer to question 10 is single backbone. ???????????

The answer to what was the nickname given to the 1949?? Norton ( single backbone ) frame ??

Answer A garden gate

Stephen

Big Dave
9th February 2009, 08:20
It's referred to in all my library as the garden gate. added 'nickname'.

pritch
9th February 2009, 09:09
8/10 bugger! The memory ain't what it was - if it ever was. :whistle:

I didn't have any trouble with the Garden Gate, might have been different were it not multiple choice, but Lord H and the first Commando got me.

Does this mean I passed NCEA Brit bikes?

Ixion
9th February 2009, 09:37
Wasn't the nickname given to the single backbone frame design , a garden gate , because it handled like one??

Therefore the answer to question 10 is single backbone. ???????????

The answer to what was the nickname given to the 1949?? Norton ( single backbone ) frame ??

Answer A garden gate

Stephen

That was my logic also. Who would call a frame a 'golden' gate? They weren't yellow, and it is unlikely that any of the Brit riders of the period would have heard of the relatively obscure Yank bridge which appears to be the only other reference. Whereas all of them would have a garden gate.

Big Dave
9th February 2009, 11:13
I know the cause of gate-gate

I was looking at pictures of a luffley Triumph Scrambler in San Fran with bridge backdrop whilst researching t' questions.

koba
14th February 2009, 22:06
9/10
Im 24 so it must be to easy.

Voltaire
15th February 2009, 06:18
Heres One and no Googling.....thats cheating, only memory, books or magazines.

Who designed Triumphs first 650 twin?:sherlock:

Ixion...I can see your hand is up again...let the other boys have a turn.
" yes miss"....

twotyred
15th February 2009, 06:43
Edward Turner

Voltaire
15th February 2009, 07:57
Edward Turner

not quite.....his was second.

Ixion
15th February 2009, 07:58
And a follow up - what was the very unusual feature of that engine?

ntst8
15th February 2009, 08:16
Val Page be the designer?

PeteJ
16th February 2009, 09:31
Designer of the 6/1 = Val Page.

Unusual feature = (well, the annoying unusual feature would be its notoriously spindly crankshaft) semi unit construction.

Ixion
16th February 2009, 10:34
Nope. Something a LOT more unusual than that. Two things really. One very unusual back then , though common now. The other unusual, ever, and the combination, as far as I know unique on a production machine. Very very rare anyway, certainly from a mainstream manufacturer.

PeteJ
16th February 2009, 12:57
One very unusual back then , though common now: gear primary drive? (double helical, I think; I have a mate in the UK who has one of these, so he told me a lot of stuff about it, most of which I have forgotten...).

The other unusual, ever, and the combination, as far as I know unique on a production machine. Very very rare anyway, certainly from a mainstream manufacturer: Hmmmm: I am very interested to learn about this.

Ixion
16th February 2009, 13:10
Yes, double helical primary drive was the first part of it, the second part followed from that.

PeteJ
16th February 2009, 13:21
Yes, double helical primary drive was the first part of it, the second part followed from that.

So the engine ran "backward"....

Just not really backward or forward with equal facility (or lack of facility), like any number of old 2-strokes would eg the Villiers 197 in the Gnat.

Ixion
16th February 2009, 15:37
Yes. Because it used the conventional (then) direct drive gearbox, and the geared primary reversed the direction of rotation , either the bike had to run backwards or the engine did. Triumph elected to have the engine run backwards. Whether this was the right choice is debateable. (Jap bikes don't need to because a jappa gearbox is all indirect , which reverses it again)

I have a vague memory of reading of some Continental machine that ran backwards , but that doesn't really count , being forn an all. And there have been racers that ran backwards . And of course the rear half of a square four does. But a backwards gear primary twin, I can't think of any other. Which is a challenge in itself.

Being a four stroke it couldn't reverse itself the way a two stroke can. Ixion's disreputable cousin (who looks identical to me) and two other wayward youff, many years ago held a backwards race on three BSA Bantams, deliberately riding in reverse past the local snake. The first one, he gaped. The second one he jumped into his snakemobile and set off after us . The third one, he flipped." If I ever catch you young blank blank ". The assistant snake told us later though that he cracked up laughing about it back at the snake shop.

PeteJ
16th February 2009, 15:42
I have a vague memory of reading of some Continental machine that ran backwards , but that doesn't really count , being form an all.

The Gnat, the Noble car, and some other single-cyl 2-stroke driven (I hesitate to say "powered") cars used this reverse running to run in reverse. You turned off the ignition, turned the key the other way, started up, and surprise surprise 3 or 4 reverse speeds.

Ixion
16th February 2009, 15:45
Yith. But the reversy trick on two strokes doesn't really count. It's not the normal running mode. If two strokes reversing counts then you would need to include almost any two stroke made. (except maybe a V twin - I'd need to think about that one). Scotts made a feature of it too, very handy with a sidecar.

Bonez
16th February 2009, 16:36
Yes. Because it used the conventional (then) direct drive gearbox, and the geared primary reversed the direction of rotation , either the bike had to run backwards or the engine did. Triumph elected to have the engine run backwards. Whether this was the right choice is debateable. (Jap bikes don't need to because a jappa gearbox is all indirect , which reverses it again)There's a few jap bikes that have the engine running backwards. One was the Honda 700s Nighthawk shafty.

Voltaire
16th February 2009, 16:52
What two features set the 1923 Douglas apart from the crowd at the 1923 TT?
:sherlock:

PeteJ
20th February 2009, 08:13
1. The banking sidecar that Freddie Dixon won 2. the first sidecar TT with.

Voltaire
20th February 2009, 13:46
1. The banking sidecar that Freddie Dixon won 2. the first sidecar TT with.

no....more to do with going and stopping...

PeteJ
20th February 2009, 16:32
no....more to do with going and stopping...

Ah. Well, my first two I was sure of.

Douglas were very early with disc brakes (stopping) and hemi heads (going), so I'll guess those as the things you have in mind.

I am determined never to Google these quizzes....

Cheers

Pete

pete376403
20th February 2009, 17:09
Three cylinder inline two strokes - who had them first?

Voltaire
20th February 2009, 17:42
Ah. Well, my first two I was sure of.

Douglas were very early with disc brakes (stopping) and hemi heads (going), so I'll guess those as the things you have in mind.

I am determined never to Google these quizzes....

Cheers

Pete

disc brake and twist throttle.... I didn't know about the Hemi heads.

Voltaire
20th February 2009, 17:43
Three cylinder inline two strokes - who had them first?

Were they German?

pete376403
20th February 2009, 18:18
Nope. This is a brit bike quiz

Ixion
20th February 2009, 18:26
Got to be Scott

pete376403
20th February 2009, 18:54
Nope.

1915 Royal Enfield. Prototype, didn't make production.

http://www.oxfordshireroyalenfield.co.uk/history.htm

Big Dave
21st February 2009, 12:03
Nope.

1915 Royal Enfield. Prototype, didn't make production.

http://www.oxfordshireroyalenfield.co.uk/history.htm

I call foul on a prototype! :-)

smoky
21st February 2009, 12:30
However I was sure a friend of mine in the Uk had one of the first ever production Commandos' - a 67 or 68 model, and it was an 800?
So I googled it;
"1967: The Commando is BORN! With just three months left before the Earls Court Show, the decision is made to go with Bernard Hooper's idea to hang a rubber mounted Atlas engine in a completely new frame with a massive single top tube. Hooper and Bob Trigg finish the design and produce a machine in time for the Show. The experimental P10 800cc twin"

http://www.nortonmotorcycles.com/company/history.asp

???

pete376403
21st February 2009, 14:03
I call foul on a prototype! :-)

Well if a prototype is a test design where the feasibility and bugs are worked out, I'd say a lot of Brit (and USA) bikes have never made it past the prototype stage, despite being sold as a production machine.

And 1915 was probably not a good time to introduce a new engine, what with WWI and all

DougB
21st February 2009, 22:49
Only two right and I lived right through that period. First bike in 1953.
I should have payed more attention.

invisiblehand1
21st February 2009, 23:59
yup 10/10

did have to pause on the size of the first commando (and guess) the others were easy - God I am an anorak!

:)

ntst8
25th February 2009, 21:30
However I was sure a friend of mine in the Uk had one of the first ever production Commandos' - a 67 or 68 model, and it was an 800?
So I googled it;
"1967: The Commando is BORN! With just three months left before the Earls Court Show, the decision is made to go with Bernard Hooper's idea to hang a rubber mounted Atlas engine in a completely new frame with a massive single top tube. Hooper and Bob Trigg finish the design and produce a machine in time for the Show. The experimental P10 800cc twin"
???

Me thinks your wires are crossed, the quote about the P10 i think is the first half of a sentence which goes on to say it was abandoned pre production, in favour of the Commando. I beleive this is the P10, looks like Dominator running gear with the 800 o/h cam engine.

smoky
25th February 2009, 21:46
Me thinks your wires are crossed, the quote about the P10 i think is the first half of a sentence which goes on to say it was abandoned pre production, in favour of the Commando. I beleive this is the P10, looks like Dominator running gear with the 800 o/h cam engine.

Maybe - or maybe he had an unoriginal bike?
I had a 750 Trident and he had the Commando with an 800?
I remember the Trident was probably more than 10 years newer but struggled to beat a Commando 750 a guy in Huntly use to ride around on, until I got to the 5th gear, I had longer legs than he did - I think the Trident was one of the first 5 speeds around at the time

ntst8
25th February 2009, 22:06
Maybe - or maybe he had an unoriginal bike?
I had a 750 Trident and he had the Commando with an 800?
I remember the Trident was probably more than 10 years newer but struggled to beat a Commando 750 a guy in Huntly use to ride around on, until I got to the 5th gear, I had longer legs than he did - I think the Trident was one of the first 5 speeds around at the time

Could be on the modified Commando, Dunstall did an 810 version.

Big Dave
25th February 2009, 22:19
I still believe a 850 Commando Interstate in Black and Gold is the best looking motorcycle ever.

A Triumph T160 Trident with Red livery is the second.

A 67 Bonneville third.

Voltaire
26th February 2009, 06:28
I still believe a 850 Commando Interstate in Black and Gold is the best looking motorcycle ever.

A Triumph T160 Trident with Red livery is the second.

A 67 Bonneville third.

I'd have all three in my garage:done:

parked next to the yellow Ducati 750 sport, grey smoked R90s, and red Mk1 le Mans.....