PDA

View Full Version : Honda designs motorcycle navigation system

Bob
24th February 2005, 01:43
Honda said it will release a motorcycle navigation system towards the end of April

The system will be initially offered as an optional part on large scooters of the Forza series. Designed to be installed on the handlebars, the system was developed jointly by Honda Access and three other companies including map maker Zenrin.

If the system is a success, then there has to be potential to install the system on other two wheelers.

Pwalo
24th February 2005, 09:52
I don't mean to be a luddite but what's wrong with figuring out how to get somewhere before you leave?

Might be a bit distracting looking down at a scrolling map as well as your speedo.

jrandom
24th February 2005, 09:55
I don't mean to be a luddite but what's wrong with figuring out how to get somewhere before you leave?

Nuffin.

But there's a HUGE market for gadgets to help the people who can't be bothered...

sAsLEX
24th February 2005, 10:00

Might be a bit distracting looking down at a scrolling map as well as your speedo.

and we cant have JR losing his job due to people learning how to read maps!!

vifferman
24th February 2005, 10:05
I was reading a review of the new Triumph ST last night, and it has a plug and provision for just such a device as well, as do many BMWs.

You scoffers can scoff, but if you're trying to find your way around, a GPS unit is much easier to use than a map - you don't need to stop and find where you are, where the next turn is, etc. - it's all right there in front of you. I had the opportunity to use one of these recently (on both bike and car), and apart from directing me down one wrong street, and naming one road incorrectly, it was very, very good to use. In any case, with NagMode turned off, at least it didn't go, "You should have turned down that street we just passed!" or "Turn left down here" (pointing to the right).

Paul in NZ
24th February 2005, 10:19
Oh well... There goes the fun of breaking down in god knows where and having to figure a way out...

Why does everyone need the ability to talk to other people 24/7 and know exactly where they are all of a sudden... I'm usually quite happy lost.. But then I do spend a lot of time there.

Paul N

Biff
24th February 2005, 13:31
Oh well... There goes the fun of breaking down

You'll be ok there Paul, just as long as you don't change bike brands! :Pokey:
(sorry I couldn't resist, you teased that one out of me).

Seriously though, after driving cages for the last 6 years back in old blighty, all fitted with GPS I feel kinda naked without such a widget. They're ideal for getting up to the second location bearings, and your distance and ETA to destination. I also find them invaluable when you hit roadworks or a closed road as they can plot you another course in seconds. Besides, all the ones I've ever owned can verbally gave me directions, which minimised the amount of time spent looking at the display.

Besides - I luv widgets.

limmy
24th February 2005, 15:38
i've used one of these things for cars and i think they are great. Initially i thought the same thing "what's wrong with using the map". but pretty quickly i found that it was much more convinient to be told where and when to turn rather than having to remember a whole bunch of directions and having to keep an eye out for road names while you're driving/riding. This came exceptionally handy when u're in a big city or unfamiliar area and have no idea where u are going.

Granted sometimes you just want to go with the flow and just enjoy the act of getting lost and having a bit of an adventure....in that case there's always the OFF button :yeah:

Waylander
24th February 2005, 16:24
I prefer the "Get lost then have to figure out a way home way" better, Means you find areas you have never been to before and learn the roads better.
And it's just more fun.:niceone:

inlinefour
5th March 2005, 13:31
Honda said it will release a motorcycle navigation system towards the end of April

The system will be initially offered as an optional part on large scooters of the Forza series. Designed to be installed on the handlebars, the system was developed jointly by Honda Access and three other companies including map maker Zenrin.

If the system is a success, then there has to be potential to install the system on other two wheelers.

Well they had better not put it onto a Fireblade, or at least have it removable. Would be the first piece of shite that I'd ever had to remove from a Honda in my life. :wari:

NordieBoy
7th March 2005, 08:10
I wouldn't be without my eTrex Legend on my bike.
I use it as my speedo as well as the speedo cable broke 18 months ago :done:

Being able to see what corners are coming up and that it's a left-right-left combo and the 3rd one is a hairpin type stuff is great.

inlinefour
7th March 2005, 17:28
I wouldn't be without my eTrex Legend on my bike.
I use it as my speedo as well as the speedo cable broke 18 months ago :done:

Being able to see what corners are coming up and that it's a left-right-left combo and the 3rd one is a hairpin type stuff is great.

Its a bit of a thrill not quite knowing whats ahead and having to lean over for a courner that you might have slowed down for. Anyway if your on a main road then all slower courners are clearly marked. However some of my fav rides are not even roads with markings...
:wari: