PDA

View Full Version : Cheesecutter model...anyone have one?

Krayy
9th February 2009, 09:18
Hi guys,

It's speech competition time in Toastmasters and I'll be doing a speech on Motorcycle Safety. The aspect I'll be focusing on is how WRBs and other road obstacles or barriers reduce the effectiveness of our protective gear.

In order to illustrate this during the speech, I would like to have a model (scale or lifesize) of a WRB (wood or metal with real wire ropes) on a piece of wood or some other portable base. I am planning on using it to show how limbs are affected by the pylons and (using a candle or similar) how the wire can cut a hapless rider.

So...anyone have an existing model or want to have a crack at building one (Auckland area)?

MSTRS
9th February 2009, 10:13
Make one yourself. Ice block sticks with a lightweight cord threaded through holes in the sticks. Get a length of timber and drill a line of holes that the sticks can drop into, and then use a drawing pin to tension and pin the cord at either end. You could use birthday candles as bikers. They would break before the cord or sticks would. Ensure you give balance by showing the difference with a pretend car (a cheap plastic thing from the warehouse?). If you get it right, you can show how the car's bonnet can go under the wire and KA-CHOP!!!

MIXONE
9th February 2009, 10:29
What a great subject you picked.You will be educating people who normally wouldn't hear about the dangers for us riders.
Good luck there mate.