PDA

View Full Version : NTSC - PAL TV Conversion

FzerozeroT
24th February 2005, 06:41
I managed to score an in-dash TV for my van but have no idea whats needed to convert it from Japan to NZ, or even if it can be done?

It's a Sharp 6E-GP3

XTC
24th February 2005, 06:53
Honestly officer I was driving along watching shortland street and I didn't see him honest.......

ManDownUnder
24th February 2005, 07:10
Just look out for J1 and J2 watching Charli... I mean Hi-Five on the way to work...

"5 in the air let's do it together..." **THUMP** :doctor: :rolleyes:

not good... not good at all...

Marmoot
24th February 2005, 09:09
U gonna use it for playing DVD/devices/etc or are you gonna use it for capturing TVNZ broadcast?

If it is for device, better get device that can play NTSC. Of course the problem is that NZ DVD/playstation/etc discs are in PAL format.....

You can get one of those cable-like thingy that converts PAL to NTSC.
Call Driving Sound, Mad Sound, etc and they'll sort you out.

MikeL
24th February 2005, 13:27
I think you'll find that converting the TV is tricky. If the TV was designed for Jap domestic market only and has a built-in TV tuner it's unlikely that it will have PAL TV channel capability so you would need a whole new tuner if you want to receive broadcasts. You may have more success using it just as a monitor for DVD, video playback etc. but only if it has multi-standard (NTSC/PAL) capability throught the AV input.
I've never heard of a "cable thingy" that will convert an NTSC signal to PAL or vice versa...

FzerozeroT
24th February 2005, 17:11
It's all internal, so I guess it's just a fancy paperweight then :(

Paul in NZ
24th February 2005, 17:52
I've never heard of a "cable thingy" that will convert an NTSC signal to PAL or vice versa...

Yeah I could use one if you did find one ;-)

Biff
24th February 2005, 17:55
I've seen lenty of widgets around (albeit in the UK) for PAL<>NTSC converters.
You could always look for a compact video recorder, many of thost have in built converters. You'd run the RF signal from the antenna into it, and then the RF signal from the video into your TV.

I haven't seen many small ones around here though.

As an aside - haven't I read something on here recently stating that if the TV works the vehicle may fail its warrant? :spudwhat:

MOTU - what say you?

Kickaha
24th February 2005, 18:04
As an aside - haven't I read something on here recently stating that if the TV works the vehicle may fail its warrant? :spudwhat:

MOTU - what say you?

Yep,ask Manuboy as his car failed for that reason even though the TV didn't work properly

Motu
24th February 2005, 19:16

MOTU - what say you?

The TV isn't allowd to pick up and display broadcasts,or show a DVD for that matter - Text only,or a picture to the rear in reverse.

I was in a car yesterday with an incar TV,it wasn't until I saw the aerials on the rear screen that I twigged - so I extened the aerials and had a fiddle...I could get some voice I could tune in and out of,but no picture - bugger,that was a pass then.But in my fiddling I found maps of Japan,I could pick a city and zoom down to street level,like TUMONZ,I suppose in Japan it was GPS capable too.

MikeL
24th February 2005, 20:08
You could always look for a compact video recorder, many of thost have in built converters. You'd run the RF signal from the antenna into it, and then the RF signal from the video into your TV.

Unlikely. VCRs that offer PAL/NTSC playback are almost always PAL units that convert an off-tape NTSC signal into a PAL-compatible signal. They don't output an NTSC signal, and certainly not an RF signal compatible with Jap/USA NTSC frequencies. And then you need to find one that runs on 12 V DC...

sAsLEX
24th February 2005, 20:38
The TV isn't allowd to pick up and display broadcasts,or show a DVD for that matter - Text only,or a picture to the rear in reverse.

I thought that was only while moving? Half these new boy race cars have tvs in them and playstations and god konws(sorry zed) what else in them, they must have a hard time getting a WOF.

Biff
28th February 2005, 12:32
Unlikely. VCRs that offer PAL/NTSC playback are almost always PAL units that convert an off-tape NTSC signal into a PAL-compatible signal. They don't output an NTSC signal, and certainly not an RF signal compatible with Jap/USA NTSC frequencies. And then you need to find one that runs on 12 V DC...

I have one. It'll play PAL or NTSC videos and it'll also provides a composite video NTSC output. There's a switch at the back that enables this function. You select whether you want an NTSC or PAL (or even PAL +) output. It was bought in the UK and I had a choice of 3 or 4 models to choose from in the particular shop I bought it from.

As for being powered by 12VDC, not necessarily, you can install a step up transformer capable of providing a 240VAC output from a 12VDC. These things do a great job and I've installed loads over the years. The problem is that people then try to run power thirsty devices from then like heaters that just suck the battery dry.

MikeL
2nd March 2005, 20:41
[QUOTE=Biff Baff]I have one. It'll play PAL or NTSC videos and it'll also provides a composite video NTSC output. There's a switch at the back that enables this function. You select whether you want an NTSC or PAL (or even PAL +) output. It was bought in the UK and I had a choice of 3 or 4 models to choose from in the particular shop I bought it from.
/QUOTE]

Fair enough - a proper multi-standard VCR will do the trick provided the monitor has a composite input. Mounting a full-size VHS deck in the car dashboard would be a challenge though...