PDA

View Full Version : Has riding made you super?

bugjuice
24th February 2005, 21:10
Just pottering around, got me thinking - would I have seen that oil patch, or pot hole, or old lady crossing the road, if I was driving a cage and never been on a bike? Well, may be not the old lady bit (well, hope not..), but it got me wondering - all the years I've been driving a car, I kinda settled into it all. A road was a road, a corner was a corner, the tar is black. Some basic day to day stuff, like don't go to fast, and all the normal, but since I've been riding heaps (for the past couple of years hard now), I've noticed the smallest of things while riding, and not a 'bored' thing either, I've been concentrating on the ride, and found myself acknowledging the smallest of things, which I wouldn't have picked up on, if I hadn't have been riding. Also the same goes for reflexes and instinctive actions.. Not superman here, but they've definitely got sharper.

Just wondered if there were others who found the same. Riding is so much more involved than caging..

Think it'd benefit some boi racers to do the odd ride, make them realise what dicks they can be..?

Gixxer 4 ever
24th February 2005, 21:19
[QUOTE=bugjuice]Just wondered if there were others who found the same. Riding is so much more involved than caging..

QUOTE]
Yep you got it. :banana: That's why I ride. :2thumbsup Riding is not just getting from one place to another it is an experience. All you say is true. :niceone: Keeps you young and aware of what's around you. When I take new pillion that's the sort of comment you get back. Did you see that.........Did you smell that hay...............

Sparky Bills
24th February 2005, 21:21
You can always tell when a motorcyclist is in a car during a skid. They dont panic, and you can see them pump the brakes.
Most cage drivers just hold it full on and panic alot more.

We are a very switched on bunch us motorcycle riders!!
God bless us all!!
(the biking gods that is :2thumbsup )

jrandom
24th February 2005, 21:23
Mmm, it's like that.

You know that thing that happens when you drive a cage somewhere and you know the way, where you arrive and can't remember actually doing the driving, or what happened along the way, because you were on autopilot?

Never happens on a bike. Not even on a commute you do every day on the same route for years.

bugjuice
Did you smell that hay...............
or smell that cattle truck we got stuck behind...
yeah, the smells you sometimes come across are often different.. I like riding past wood yards.. don't know what it is, just wierd. And bakeries..

Dutchee
What gets me is coming up behind a cage (you can smell it's in front somewhere) where someone is smoking. I'm hanging for a cig & start laughing at myself even noticing it.

That's a much more pleasant experience than the dead animals somewhere along the road - you can smell them, but not always see them.

SuperDave
HA HA, yep, just look at my username ;)

But more seriously, I would agree with you on that, since riding I have certainly become more aware of my surroundings and have learnt to anticipate what could happen next. Even when I drive the car, it crosses my mind that the cage next to me might just decide to pull into my lane despite me being there, something which comes from riding.

But then again, if one doesn't improve their reflexes and analysis of the situations then you will be selling hello to the tarmac, or a cars bumper pretty soon enough.

FEINT
24th February 2005, 21:24
I have only been riding for 2 days, and I realised that I have to keep an eye out for every single car! They don't indicate, they do what they want, whenever they want, however they want. I think motorbikes have made me more aware.

I think everyone should be on a bike before they hop in to a car, then we hopefully would have more aware drivers out there!

Instead of the government handing out speeding fines, I think failing to indicate or failing to give way is just as important.

Drunken Monkey
24th February 2005, 21:26
You can always tell when a motorcyclist is in a car during a skid. They dont panic, and you can see them pump the brakes.

God bless us all!!

I know plenty of cage drivers who can drive like that. Hell, I could do that before I learned to ride a bike. Being road aware and having mechanical affinity isn't just exclusive to motorcycle riders.

Waylander
24th February 2005, 21:26
Cought myself looking over my shoulder in the cage today. Something I never did before I started riding. And we already know that bikers are more observant, you have to be else its your arse sliding on the road. Get so used to doing in on the bike that it becomes habit even when in a cage.

jrandom
24th February 2005, 21:37
Cought myself looking over my shoulder in the cage today...

You know, theoretically, people shouldn't pass a full car licence test here if they don't do head checks (instead of just using their mirrors) when changing lanes and turning into traffic.

Based on the number of times I need to brake and swerve for half-asleep cagers while filtering each day, though, I don't think the habit sticks.

Waylander
24th February 2005, 21:41
You know, theoretically, people shouldn't pass a full car licence test here if they don't do head checks (instead of just using their mirrors) when changing lanes and turning into traffic.

Based on the number of times I need to brake and swerve for half-asleep cagers while filtering each day, though, I don't think the habit sticks.
It's like folowing speed limits, you do it for the test then most of the rest of the time you just do what you feel comfortable with. Most drivers just get complacentand its the same with bikers, the longer a person goes before your first wreck the more complacent they get it seems. They get that "it'll never happen to me" attitude. Had the same sense of invulnerability till I had my first wreck on the rebel.

justsomeguy
24th February 2005, 21:42
I've come from India........ have to be super observant if you don't want to get run over by something bigger than you........

Apply the same principles here whether in a cage or on a bike....... and the way the JAFFA's keep disobeying the road rules looks like we'll be heading no where pretty, pretty quickly.

After riding a bike and having to keep all your senses alert, I find it hard staying awake while driving a cage...... matter of fact I feel as though I'm sitting on my couch playing a VERY BORING video game...........

I don't fall asleep ..... but do feel rather detached from it all...... any of you'll feel likewise????

bugjuice
24th February 2005, 21:43

in the UK when I was taking my test, my instructor told me I'd fail my license if I wasn't seen to be looking over my shoulder to check my blindspot. I thought it'd be the same here..

Waylander
24th February 2005, 21:46
I've come from India........ have to be super observant if you don't want to get run over by something bigger than you........

Apply the same principles here whether in a cage or on a bike....... and the way the JAFFA's keep disobeying the road rules looks like we'll be heading no where pretty, pretty quickly.

After riding a bike and having to keep all your senses alert, I find it hard staying awake while driving a cage...... matter of fact I feel as though I'm sitting on my couch playing a VERY BORING video game...........

I don't fall asleep ..... but do feel rather detached from it all...... any of you'll feel likewise????

Compared to riding, driving a cage is pretty boring but I'm still a fair bit more observant than other cagers, also a bit more relaxed and less inclined to get upset when someone does something stupid infront of me when I'm in the cage. Anybody else that way aswell?

Motu
I enjoy driving...not as much as riding,but I don't mind driving a car,4X4,truck,whatever....I just love it all.I dunno - is it an alpha rythum thing? Y'know,you brain goes into a different state,I take in so much information,riding or driving...in the car I'm pointing things I see out to my passengers,there are a million things a minute going on - but at the same time I am totaly relaxed,in a totaly different state,sort of observing from afar....dunno,can't describe it.If I can't ride I drive,does the same job for me.

bugjuice

I can understand what you're saying and can vaguely relate, but I try my hardest not to fall into that 'auto-pilot' state, cos minor things go unoticed, and some of those minor things might be more than you know! I often think of what the car is doing, wind the window down, go kareoke with the radio.. anything to keep the levels up..

sAsLEX
24th February 2005, 21:47
I know plenty of cage drivers who can drive like that. Hell, I could do that before I learned to ride a bike. Being road aware and having mechanical affinity isn't just exclusive to motorcycle riders.

its more important in staying alive on a bike though!! I had done advanced driving and stuff through some courses well before I got my 2 wheel license

jrandom
24th February 2005, 21:48
in the UK when I was taking my test, my instructor told me I'd fail my license if I wasn't seen to be looking over my shoulder to check my blindspot. I thought it'd be the same here..

It is, or at least it should be. I suspect that there will be some testers who aren't too strict about marking people down for failing to perform head checks before maneuvering, though.

Waylander
24th February 2005, 21:51
Funny how the news is talking about how the government or some such is trying to get more peaple to go cycling and when they interveiw some drivers they say that cyclists are dangerous and kick the side of your doors and such.Have they thought that maybe it's becouse of something the cager is doing?

Not sure if this should be in this thread but ohwell.

jrandom
24th February 2005, 21:54
go kareoke with the radio...

Funny you should mention that. I never really have the urge to sing in the car, radio or not. Except when travelling with the kids in the back and playing the Evil Tape of Doom, of course, where singing along to the 'Bob the Builder' version of 'Mambo Number Five' is obligatory. Until the chittering green demons of insanity take my brain away and put my body on Daddy Autopilot, which usually happens about two hours into any drive anywhere.

But I often sing into my helmet on the bike. Not while filtering, I don't have enough spare attention. But while cruising along the motorway - there's just something about the sheer joy of the drone of the engine and the wind in my chest that forces me to bust out with "You'll Never Walk Alone", "Moon River", "Yesterday", et al...

bugjuice
24th February 2005, 21:55
Funny how the news is talking about how the government or some such is trying to get more peaple to go cycling and when they interveiw some drivers they say that cyclists are dangerous and kick the side of your doors and such.Have they thought that maybe it's becouse of something the cager is doing?

Not sure if this should be in this thread but ohwell.
well kinda.. similar rules apply. They have to be even more alert in some cases, cos they can't accelerate out of danger, and rarely have more protection than a helmet, so they're further up shit creek than we can get.. And it's still 2 wheels, and it's relating to what cagers aren't aware off.. So yeah, can see your point. Also having and biking for many many many years, I can relate to it too..

Plus, when has a thread ever stayed on the topic it started off as?

justsomeguy
24th February 2005, 21:56
Compared to riding, driving a cage is pretty boring but I'm still a fair bit more observant than other cagers, also a bit more relaxed and less inclined to get upset when someone does something stupid infront of me when I'm in the cage. Anybody else that way aswell?

Come spend sometime in Auckland rush hour traffic.... You'll begin to lose that peaceful easy feeling the Eagles sing about.

As for me not getting upset...... it depends on what mood I am in.... though I try my best to think of the bigger picture and not let idiotic on-road behaviour get to me.

bugjuice
24th February 2005, 21:59
Funny you should mention that. I never really have the urge to sing in the car, radio or not. Except when travelling with the kids in the back and playing the Evil Tape of Doom, of course, where singing along to the 'Bob the Builder' version of 'Mambo Number Five' is obligatory. Until the chittering green demons of insanity take my brain away and put my body on Daddy Autopilot, which usually happens about two hours into any drive anywhere.

But I often sing into my helmet on the bike. Not while filtering, I don't have enough spare attention. But while cruising along the motorway - there's just something about the sheer joy of the drone of the engine and the wind in my chest that forces me to bust out with "You'll Never Walk Alone", "Moon River", "Yesterday", et al...
lmao.. I wasn't going to mention about singing in the helmet, but yeah, guilty.. Sometimes a radio would be good, but putting earphones in is seldom practical. I even think of funny stuff (cos I'm a funny bugger) and find myself laughing.. do you know how much louder you sound when you sign/laugh out loud? helmets really echo sometimes!
chitty chitty bang bang... b-i-ngo b-i-ngo... ahh all the classics of the SH1

oh well, since we've started that bit of 'stupid stuff we do while driving/riding', what about dancin too? In the car, I often do, and sometimes on the bike.. not huge stuff, but the bob of the head, wig of the shoulders.. etc.

my god, I've gone too far, haven't I? :confused:

Waylander
24th February 2005, 21:59
Plus, when has a thread ever stayed on the topic it started off as?

When it's one of the ones that me or Slipstream start that really dont have a topic to begin with, kinda hard to go offtopic when there isn't one aye:niceone: :done: :whocares:

Back ontopic Isn'tthe whole "super senses" thing the reason why most of us believe that everyone should ride before they get thier cage license?

jrandom
24th February 2005, 22:01
As for me not getting upset...... it depends on what mood I am in.... though I try my best to think of the bigger picture and not let idiotic on-road behaviour get to me.

Hmm.

On the very, very rare occasions when I have to do my 25km rush-hour commute in a cage, I find it necessary to exert continuous effort, particularly in the evening, to maintain an appropriately Zen-like attitude to the situation.

Otherwise, I find myself with an almost overwhelming desire to scream obscenities and pound my fists on things.

bugjuice
24th February 2005, 22:01
yup.. hopefully make peeps more aware..
least, I reckon..

Waylander
24th February 2005, 22:02
Come spend sometime in Auckland rush hour traffic.... You'll begin to lose that peaceful easy feeling the Eagles sing about.

Go for a drive in Dallas, LA, Boston, Detroit, New York City, Miami, ect, ect, and you'll see Auckland traffic as nice open road.:2thumbsup Did notice that there are also certain cars I feel more relaxed in like put me in a little shyte-box honda and I'm as stressed as I get but put me in my dad's old Jag and I dont even turn the radio up loud. Go figure:spudwhat: .

bugjuice
24th February 2005, 22:04
Hmm.

On the very, very rare occasions when I have to do my 25km rush-hour commute in a cage, I find it necessary to exert continuous effort, particularly in the evening, to maintain an appropriately Zen-like attitude to the situation.

Otherwise, I find myself with an almost overwhelming desire to scream obscenities and pound my fists on things.
you sound like a barrel of laughs on a bad day! :wari:

SPman
24th February 2005, 22:06
Mmm, it's like that.

You know that thing that happens when you drive a cage somewhere and you know the way, where you arrive and can't remember actually doing the driving, or what happened along the way, because you were on autopilot?

Never happens on a bike. Not even on a commute you do every day on the same route for years.

Speak for yourself mate. Last time up the Paraparas I sort of "lost" most of them as I thought of other things and looked at the scenery!........just...suddenly...I was in Raetahi!

Waylander
24th February 2005, 22:20
Just giving this thread that extra boost to become a "hot thread" and uping my post count:niceone:

avgas
24th February 2005, 22:21

God bless us all!!
Yeh i notice that alot of bike riders also know more potential in their cars too. Like i dont drive fast, but i accelrate hard and corner more accurate cos i learnt that way (riding bikes and racing cars), before i got my car licence.
Also in response to what bugjuice said, yeh, by learing to ride you do have better skill to those that just drive, this i because when riding - more is at risk. So therefore i think bikers take more care, and precision to the way they use the road. No shit here folk, straight up.
Anyone notice that it is actually harder to maintain a good, clear, focused mind while driving in heavy traffic? yet it is easier to do exactly the same on a bike?

justsomeguy
25th February 2005, 00:00
Go for a drive in Dallas, LA, Boston, Detroit, New York City, Miami, ect, ect, and you'll see Auckland traffic as nice open road.:2thumbsup Did notice that there are also certain cars I feel more relaxed in like put me in a little shyte-box honda and I'm as stressed as I get but put me in my dad's old Jag and I dont even turn the radio up loud. Go figure:spudwhat: .

I know what you mean, I can manage driving in Bombay - India not Auckland. But I can't drive in delhi...

I'm the opposite to you...... when I'm in my old corolla I'm care free as I only need to make sure I don't make mistakes and I take a few more calculated risks....... where as in my MR2 which is a little more flash, I feel a bit more nervous and hope no one takes me out.... so drive a lot more cautiously until I reach some open road ......

pyrocam
25th February 2005, 07:39
I dont need bikes to make me super, they just enhance my superness

Sniper
25th February 2005, 07:43
You learn more, notice more, smell more, ect when you are on a bike because if you are not aware???

PhilBilly
25th February 2005, 07:46
I found i was more observant when i started to ride bikes. Love it, wouldnt give it up for anything. To me its like a drug, cant go 2 days without a ride or i get grumpy lol. Cars are so easy to be far too relaxed in as ya sitting inside and cars aint as fun. :banana:

bugjuice
25th February 2005, 07:58
also, not intending to offend those on our smaller cuz's amongst us, but you think the bigger the bike, the more aware? I found I was imensely aware on my CBR250RR, but then when I got the 636, it seemed like I had only just started! with the extra speed on tap, and power etc..

My instinctive reactions are sharper too. I remember riding from Takapuna over the bridge after work once (well, more than once, every week day..) and I saw a pile up happen right next to me. I could see the first car hit the brakes hard and stop, so I thought 'ere we go..' and sure enuff 4 or 5 cars went end to end. Normally, I love to watch that sort of stuff (when I'm not involved) cos crashes are cool. Yeah, shit they happen, but no one was hurt, and it's not my insurance, and it was happening, so why not. Anyhoo, as I saw the first car knock on, all of a sudden, I was accelerating hard and had turned my body away from the crash. Didn't even know I was doing it until I looked again and it was all gone.. awwwww.. and I wanted to see the bangs.. Anyway, the long winded point is, I didn't even know I had done it until it was all over. Thought that was pretty cool. A few things like that have happened that's made me think too. Not so many crashes, but various other stuff..

vifferman
25th February 2005, 08:00
Yeah, Super Duper.
Superdupervifferman!

:cool:

Yeah, it makes me more observant, more aware, blah blah blah. I notice things like the little patches of oil when the road's wet, and potholes, and all the rest. Freaks my wife out (and me) when I'm driving in the car, because I'm just cruising through the traffic, noticing everything, making allowances, interpreting what people are going to do by the little nuances you pick up when commuting by bike, and she's sitting there going "Watch out!" and getting more and more tense, because she commutes by bus.
Of course, because she's going "WaaH!!", I'm thinking it's summat I haven't already noticed, and getting ready to swerve, brake, abandon ship, or whatever.

You just have to be more aware when riding a bike, or you're in big trouble. And like someone elses (or several someone elses) said, it's what makes biking better than car-ing. The concentration required makes taking the bike a really invigorating experience in the morning, whereas in the car (particularly stuck in traffic), it's a real yawn.

I enjoy driving...not as much as riding,but I don't mind driving a car,4X4,truck,whatever....I just love it all.I dunno - is it an alpha rythum thing? Y'know,you brain goes into a different state,I take in so much information,riding or driving...in the car I'm pointing things I see out to my passengers,there are a million things a minute going on - but at the same time I am totaly relaxed,in a totaly different state,sort of observing from afar....dunno,can't describe it.If I can't ride I drive,does the same job for me.
That's a right brain thing, Motu. Any time you're doing anything where your brain "goes into a different state", that's your right hemisphere doing the driving, as it were.
Are you left-handed?

pyrocam
25th February 2005, 08:24
also, not intending to offend those on our smaller cuz's amongst us, but you think the bigger the bike, the more aware? I found I was imensely aware on my CBR250RR, but then when I got the 636, it seemed like I had only just started! with the extra speed on tap, and power etc..

My instinctive reactions are sharper too. I remember riding from Takapuna over the bridge after work once (well, more than once, every week day..) and I saw a pile up happen right next to me. I could see the first car hit the brakes hard and stop, so I thought 'ere we go..' and sure enuff 4 or 5 cars went end to end. Normally, I love to watch that sort of stuff (when I'm not involved) cos crashes are cool. Yeah, shit they happen, but no one was hurt, and it's not my insurance, and it was happening, so why not. Anyhoo, as I saw the first car knock on, all of a sudden, I was accelerating hard and had turned my body away from the crash. Didn't even know I was doing it until I looked again and it was all gone.. awwwww.. and I wanted to see the bangs.. Anyway, the long winded point is, I didn't even know I had done it until it was all over. Thought that was pretty cool. A few things like that have happened that's made me think too. Not so many crashes, but various other stuff..

Ive noticed an almost instintual effect in close calls sometimes. also time seems to slow down.

When I had my crash I knew what was going to happen before I crashed. my bike flipped over to the left and my subconcious took over and made me roll down the road, it took ages for me but was only 1-2secs on the road. automatically got up swore and got my bike of the road before I knew what was happening.

I learnt the lesson of 'looking where you want to be going not at the curb / object you are about to hit' very well that day.

Wolf
25th February 2005, 08:43
I find that I go into "autopilot" on routes that I know well but I'm still subconsciously very aware of my surroundings and can snap out of autopilot at a split second's notice - have done so on a number of occasions - to respond to sudden threats.

I also slip out of autopilot when complications arise - decreased visibility, increase in traffic (seldom go on autopilot in town) - and am very conscious of every little thing.

Have not had a bike accident for years - not since long before I got my car licence - but have avoided quite a few. Haven't had a car accident for years either - but obviously it was more recent than my last bike accident (which was a deliberate laying-down of the bike to avoid t-boning a van that illegally U-turned in front of me).

I am positive that my riding bikes has made me a more observant road user - I would hesitate to call myself "super" - and has improved my "reflexes".

Inverted commas used for reflexes above as it is physically impossible to have faster reflexes than anyone else - the actual nerve signal transfers are a set speed. What we call "fast reflexes" is really "improved multitasking" - you react sooner than others because you were aware sooner and began reacting before other people were even aware of the threat.

Just goes to show - it's not only women who can multitask.

Going into "autopilot" is just a higher level of multitasking - you're daydreaming as well as noting all the possible threats. Generally only happens when there are fewer distractions/potential threats to note and goes away the moment your attention is required.

Singing ito the Helmet? Oh, yeah! Quite often. At one stage I tried putting a couple of headhones into a helmet but found that mucking about with the tape deck and the wires was a bastard so I went back to a cappella singing into the helmet.

Waylander
25th February 2005, 10:05
Is it just me or is the reason alot of us are biker the fact that we get a thrill out of being so observant? Not sure if I am exspressing that right but you should be able to get what I mean. Like with the wreck you sawa BJ did you feel exilerated when you noticed what you had done and that your "reflexes" were so much better?

( quotes in there to agree with Wolf now that I think about it)

Pwalo
25th February 2005, 10:31
I'm a bloody sight more careful after my accident. Don't know if that makes me 'super'.

But as no doubt has been said already being on two wheels makes you much more aware of your surroundings. Road surface, weather conditions etc. Must help with your driving!

bugjuice
25th February 2005, 10:49
Is it just me or is the reason alot of us are biker the fact that we get a thrill out of being so observant? Not sure if I am exspressing that right but you should be able to get what I mean. Like with the wreck you sawa BJ did you feel exilerated when you noticed what you had done and that your "reflexes" were so much better?

yeah, it did actually. To think that instinct took over to make sure I was doing everything I can to avoid damage to me or my bike, was pretty cool. I didn't even think about 'ooo, if it happens, should I turn away in case there's flying glass or plastic etc?', I just did it.

Someone asked me a while ago, what do you think of while riding? I ran off a huge list that I didn't even think I was thinking half the time. A lot of 'risk management' etc which just becomes instinctive. Escape routes if things go pear-shaped etc.. I think of heaps without even thinking about it. And that's mostly on surroundings. Then you've got the road it's self. Are the tyres over-loaded? Have I got any more braking left if I need it? There's the bike to consider too, let alone you and the road and surroundings.

I guess it just boils down to survival. Hate to 'blow me own trumpet' but if you don't tune in and tune up, you quickly cop out. I just thought the whole concept of it, being 'fine-tuned' so to speak, is quite fascinating..

Wolf
25th February 2005, 10:59

Who? Me?

I remember seeing something about it on a doco about racing drivers - can't remember what doco. Someone was saying that what is really happening is that those people accustomed to having to react quickly do so because they are processing more data than average.

Signals travel through our nerves at around 200 miles per hour - more than adequate enough for us to react to danger - so differences in reaction times are based purely on perception of that danger.

As motorcyclists, more aware of how vulnerable we are than car drivers, we train ourselves to be more alert for danger - owing to the fact that the consequences are higher for us - and tend to react quicker based on more subtle cues.

This does not mean that car drivers cannot be very good at perceiving, and reacting to, danger.

It means that the average bike rider has better reaction times than the average cager - but there will always be alert cagers and oblivious bikers as well.

sAsLEX
25th February 2005, 12:00
I remember watching a doco that had stirling moss driving some head doc guy around while they talked in his BMW, and as they approached an off ramp he got the back end out in a nice drift, about that time the tape stopped so without stopping the drift he calmy reached down removed the finished tape found a new one inserted it and carried on drifting.

To most people just changing a tape while driving far exceeds their mental capability, but as driving was near second nature to him it did not phase him.

bugjuice
25th February 2005, 12:17
I remember watching a doco that had stirling moss driving some head doc guy around while they talked in his BMW, and as they approached an off ramp he got the back end out in a nice drift, about that time the tape stopped so without stopping the drift he calmy reached down removed the finished tape found a new one inserted it and carried on drifting.

To most people just changing a tape while driving far exceeds their mental capability, but as driving was near second nature to him it did not phase him.
I've done that on the 636 a few times.. whatcha on about? :shake:

sAsLEX
25th February 2005, 12:22
I've done that on the 636 a few times.. whatcha on about? :shake:

typical apple ipod crap out on you and you had to revert to the stone ages aye???

I am normally too busy reading the paper, having a coffee, a shave, fixing the hair and looking at the hot chick in the car next to me to change tapes on the viffer!

Wolf
25th February 2005, 12:31
typical apple ipod crap out on you and you had to revert to the stone ages aye???

I am normally too busy reading the paper, having a coffee, a shave, fixing the hair and looking at the hot chick in the car next to me to change tapes on the viffer!
Is that all? Bloody amateur! ;)