PDA

View Full Version : Cool looking entry-level Harley

JamesHD
11th February 2009, 18:06
2009 Harley Davidson Iron 883 - US$7,899

With a defiant attitude embracing the pure essence of riding, the new Iron 883 model is the latest Harley-Davidson® Dark Custom™ motorcycle.

Harley-Davidson Sportster motorcycles like the Iron 883 have stood against the grain since their introduction in 1957, when the modern rebel culture was being bred from restless veterans and hot rod pioneers. Sportster motorcycles became the starting point for many legendary choppers of the 1960s, while also getting pumped up for championship dirt racing and dare devil stunt riding in the 1970s.

The Iron 883 model continues that rebellious tradition with responsive handling, smooth clutch effort and durable carbon reinforced drive belt while pushing the styling of motorcycling minimalism to the edge. Decked in black from fender-to-fender, the new Harley-Davidson Iron 883 motorcycle brings the beat of an 883 Evolution® engine backed up by a combo of gritty, old-school garage features like front fork gaiters, drag style handlebar and side-mount license plate holder. A ticket to ride the Iron 883 starts at just $7,899 MSRP, leaving plenty of freedom for customization.

“The Iron 883 defies the plastic conventions of other motorcycles at this price,” said Mark-Hans Richer, Harley-Davidson Chief Marketing Officer. “It’s got old school style, a new school ride and gives the owner a platform for creative customization.”

The black powder-coated 883cc Evolution powertrain with black covers takes the Iron 883 deep into the heart of darkness. With Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI) and performance tuning with a broad torque curve, the Iron 883 delivers plenty of power for the city scene. The pipes on the straight cut shorty dual exhaust flow the distinctive Harley-Davidson V-Twin sound.

The black chopped rear fender with its combination stop/turn/tail lights shows more of the 150 mm rear tire and black, 13-spoke cast aluminum wheel, while the front tire also rides on a black wheel. The rest of the Iron 883 gets a darker-suited presence with black front forks and fender supports, fuel tank, oil tank cover, belt guard, drag style handlebar and mid mount foot controls.

A one-piece, solo classic seat with a height of 25.3 inches fits the lone rider, while a passenger seat and a backrest in complementing black finishes can be added as accessories.

As the latest of the Harley-Davidson Dark Custom motorcycles, the Iron 883 is stripped down and ripe for custom creativity. Dark Custom motorcycle riders have the youngest average age for Harley-Davidson buyers. Soul mates of the Iron 883 include the Nightster®, Night Train®, Cross Bones®, Fat Bob® and Street Bob® motorcycles. Check out more on Dark Custom motorcycles at www.harley-davidson.com/darkcustom.

The Iron 883 is available in Black Denim and Brilliant Silver Denim colors.

Iron 883 features and highlights:

Rubber-mounted Evolution 883 cc V-Twin black powder-coated engine
Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI)
Black fuel tank with unique graphics
Black front forks with gaiters
Black belt guard and front fender supports
Black, 13-spoke cast aluminum wheels, 19-inch front / 16-inch rear
Black low rise drag style handlebar
Black mid-mount foot controls
Black low profile front fender
Black chopped rear fender with combination rear stop/tail/turn lights
Chrome staggered shorty exhaust with dual mufflers
Side-mounted license plate holder
One-piece, solo Sportster classic seat
25.3-inch seat height
Optional Harley-Davidson Smart Security System
Classic 3.3-gallon fuel tank

98tls
11th February 2009, 18:08
Convert the $ and its not so attractive.

rainman
11th February 2009, 18:57
Convert the $ and its not so attractive.

Just like the bike...

98tls
11th February 2009, 19:00
Just like the bike... Actually mate i kinda like it though the 883 thing doesnt do much for me personally,just that when you convert the $ theres so much more you could buy not to mention the fact that the resale would be as bad as a Jappa so would add up to a huge loss.

sinfull
11th February 2009, 19:04
resale would be as bad as a Jappa so would add up to a huge loss.

Bad as ? Shit i seen 883's going for 6 k NZ$ poor saps paid 10 to 12 for them 3 or 4 thousand k ago

98tls
11th February 2009, 19:11
Bad as ? Shit i seen 883's going for 6 k NZ$ poor saps paid 10 to 12 for them 3 or 4 thousand k ago Yea thats my point,considering the purchase price etc.

cs363
11th February 2009, 21:44
Just like the bike...

883 = :zzzz: styling & performance wise, good learner bike though if the law allowed it - but not for that kind of money.

Bonez
22nd February 2009, 17:58
Fuck I love reading that marketing bullshit. In saying that I bet I'd have a ball on it. Would compliment the GB quite well.

Grizzo
22nd February 2009, 19:23
I reckon it's ugly as sin...even for a Harley Ferguson!:sick:

Bonez
22nd February 2009, 19:38
I reckon it's ugly as sin...even for a Harley Ferguson!:sick:Dig the riding kit man http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgtYbWUGPKk

Grizzo
22nd February 2009, 19:42
Dig the riding kit man http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgtYbWUGPKk
:rolleyes:Yep, nuff said!

Jerry74
22nd February 2009, 22:09
Sportsters are ugly.. now if it was a streetbob that would be better

scumdog
22nd February 2009, 22:15
There's a bike for everybody....for some of I guess this one is not it. How different to a Nightster is it??

And an 883 with low km for 6K?

That I gotta see.

Headbanger
22nd February 2009, 22:51
Yeah, a bike for everybody....who likes ugly bikes.

Horrible.

Bikes are meant to be shiny.

Luckily this is just a fad, won't last long. Emo's might love em.

R6_kid
22nd February 2009, 23:26
I'd rather have a reconditioned XS650.

Bonez
23rd February 2009, 03:33
There's a bike for everybody....for some of I guess this one is not it. How different to a Nightster is it??Not much really by the looks- Cast wheels, blacked out engine, different paint job, smaller capacity donk, and the belt guard doesn't have holes in it.

The clincher in the States, unsure if its a worldwide thing, I guess is the that within 12 months you can update to a larger capacity HD without loosing too much-

"Riders purchasing 2008 or 2009 model year Sportster 883 or 1200 motorcycles (excluding XR1200) at a participating Harley-Davidson dealership between Dec. 26, 2008 and Mar. 31, 2009 can trade that Sportster in within one year to receive original MSRP on trade-in for qualifying Harley-Davidson Big Twin or VRSC motorcycles."

Some US dealers a trying to get $US10,000 plus out the door looking at comments, around $US8500 seems to be the norm though. Still a heavy beast though.

Grizzo
23rd February 2009, 06:42
Yeah, a bike for everybody....who likes ugly bikes.

Horrible.

Bikes are meant to be shiny.

Luckily this is just a fad, won't last long. Emo's might love em.
Nah Emo's and bikes dont mix, they keep riding them off cliffs!

MeHigh
24th February 2009, 15:07
I like it!

popelli
24th February 2009, 18:27
Sportsters are ugly.. now if it was a streetbob that would be better

they have been making sportsters for over 50 years so they can't be that ugly

its a pretty sure bet that the streetbob will be lucky to make 10 years of production

personally I think this new sporty looks ok, but it would look better if they went back to basics lost the plastic side panels and all the excessive weight

Sportsters over the years have gained about 100lb in weight, there is no need

See pic attached of a friends custom sporty, aftermarket frame with rubber mounting that is considerably lighter than factory equivalent and yet all the standard hd parts bolt on, this bike was built years before the factory rubber mounted sporties

Metalor
26th March 2009, 18:46
Hey, backoof, I like the look of this bike! Though I'd prefer a Triumph Speedmaster or America. Could pick up a used one for around the same price.

Harleys seem over priced IMO... I'd prefer to spend the money on a jappa. Would probably last alot longer too :P

cave weta
26th March 2009, 18:57
2009 Harley Davidson Iron 883 - US$7,899

With a defiant attitude embracing the pure essence of riding, the new Iron 883 model is the latest Harley-Davidson® Dork Custom™ motorcycle.

the Iron 883 delivers plenty of power for the city scene. The pipes on the straight cut shorty dual exhaust flow the distinctive Harley-Davidson V-Twin sound.

Potato Potato Potato Potato Potato Potato Potato Potato Potato Potato Potato Potato Potato Potato Potato Potato Potato Potato Potato Potato Potato Potato Potato Potato Potato Potato Potato Potato Potato Potato Potato Potato Potato Potato Potato Potato Potato Potato Potato Potato Potato Potato Potato Potato Potato Potato Potato Potato :clap:
I just love this marketing bullshit!

cs363
7th April 2009, 21:22
Blah, Blah, the Iron 883 delivers plenty of power for the city scene. Blah, Blah etc.

So, it's a commuter bike then...... Think I'd rather have something that had enough power to go on the open road rather than just commute between coffee shops on Ponce-on-by Road..... :whistle:

p/t