PDA

View Full Version : Lack of protective gear = this youtube clip

Leyton
11th February 2009, 20:41
I found something graphicly real on youtube Re: Those scooter riders and some motorbike riders who do not where a safe level of protections on the roads..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZw2cxdGnFE&feature=related

I have never come across a scooter rider in Hamilton yet who has had full protection.

Mostly see them with jandles, shorts, t-shirt, and a helmet. This really has to change!

Do scooter indicents count towards motorbike stats ?

98tls
11th February 2009, 20:52
Worse than that theres guy out there that dont wave:angry2:Whilst i applaud the sentiment fact is that in much of that saftey gear would have been as useful as a 3rd ball on a Greyhound,good gear is...well its handy in offs but staying alive is about using your brain.

Leyton
11th February 2009, 20:55
Worse than that theres guy out there that dont wave:angry2:Whilst i applaud the sentiment fact is that in much of that saftey gear would have been as useful as a 3rd ball on a Greyhound,good gear is...well its handy in offs but staying alive is about using your brain.

absolutely :)

Brain was not used, Many arms got grazed.

davereid
12th February 2009, 07:07
absolutely :)

Brain was not used...

Yeah, motorcyclists are 27 times more likely to die on the road than car drivers.

Safety gear makes fuck all difference.

Its a no brainer - dont ride a motorbike.

unrealone
12th February 2009, 15:40
Yeah, motorcyclists are 27 times more likely to die on the road than car drivers.

You actually think Safety gear makes "fuck all difference"... what planet are you on mate. In many cases its the difference between life and death.. as I have seen with my own eyes.

Actually scrap the above..... lets just go with: 85% of all statistics are wrong.

R6_kid
12th February 2009, 16:17
Wearing full leathers and a helmet won't help you if you get run over by an 18 wheeler. It'll just make you easier to cleanup for the ambulance crew.

I think thats what they are getting at. Wearing proper safety gear decreases the chance of injury in low speed, non-impact accidents. Leather doesn't stop bones from braking, or muscles tissue from bruising.

Wearing good gear will stop you from getting gravel rash, cracking your head open, and in the case of good boots - hopefully stop you from braking your ankle/foot. But it won't stop you from dying if the hit is hard enough.

jrandom
12th February 2009, 16:21
I found something graphicly real on youtube Re: Those scooter riders and some motorbike riders who do not where a safe level of protections on the roads.

Oh, the humanity! And a YouTube video with a sequence of photos of bike crashes and ominous 'dun dun dunnn!' music, even.

Hey, here's an idea. Fuck off and let people ride however they want to.

wbks
12th February 2009, 16:26
Wearing full leathers and a helmet won't help you if you get run over by an 18 wheeler. It'll just make you easier to cleanup for the ambulance crew.

I think thats what they are getting at. Wearing proper safety gear decreases the chance of injury in low speed, non-impact accidents. Leather doesn't stop bones from braking, or muscles tissue from bruising.

Wearing good gear will stop you from getting gravel rash, cracking your head open, and in the case of good boots - hopefully stop you from braking your ankle/foot. But it won't stop you from dying if the hit is hard enough.This is like saying bomb shelters are good for a few missiles but you're toast if you get dumpted with a nuke... Good leathers have padding which I can definitely see stopping a fractured arm near the elbow for example, good helmets take a pretty large hit etc But who cares, it's their life, let them do as they will... Personally I'd like to be able to crash at 50 without bleeding to death, but everyone's different...

Usarka
12th February 2009, 16:31
You actually think Safety gear makes "fuck all difference"... what planet are you on mate. In many cases its the difference between life and death.. as I have seen with my own eyes.

Riding a bike makes a shitload of difference to the chances of dying.

Would you support a non-motorcylcist enforcing their views that we shouldn't ride bikes because we're more likely to get hurt or die than driving a car?

Leyton
12th February 2009, 16:38

Wearing good gear will stop you from getting gravel rash, cracking your head open, and in the case of good boots - hopefully stop you from braking your ankle/foot. But it won't stop you from dying if the hit is hard enough.

Yeah its why I posted it :) It is stating that protective gear does a better job then naked skin if one was to touch tarmac.

davereid
12th February 2009, 16:54
Yeah its why I posted it :) It is stating that protective gear does a better job then naked skin if one was to touch tarmac.

Yeah Leyton - I wasn't picking on you. And you are quite right, leathers and helmets are very effective at reducing gravel rash.

But lots of riders seem to think they are magik, and if enought $$ are spent invisibility oops invincibility results. The reality is, that riding a motorcycle is simply very very dangerous.

When you say "I represent the safest form of motorcycling - all others should be banned" you have a powerful argument that will be supported by the middle of the road.

But one day the question will be redefined. Someone will say "I represent the safest form of road transport - all others should be banned"

And all the safety arguments you used will be used to force you into a car. A car with seatbelts, airbags, stability control, etc etc.

In the USA right now, states are repealing helmet laws. Many say "Darwin theory - let em die etc etc". But the riders are saying - its my life. Leave me alone, its my head I'll choose.

Here in NZ, we are likely to get shiny pink jacket laws, glove laws, boots laws, and eventually, when none of it stops bikers dying, banning laws.

Who will be the "Darwin Victim" then ? You will be alive and well, wrapped up in your cotton wool, but very very safe.

unrealone
12th February 2009, 17:40
Riding a bike makes a shitload of difference to the chances of dying.

Would you support a non-motorcylcist enforcing their views that we shouldn't ride bikes because we're more likely to get hurt or die than driving a car?

Huh? What relevance does any of that have to my quote and post?

cowpoos
12th February 2009, 18:27

Here's one of the best post I've seen in ages....and Jrandom is dead fucking right!!!

I'm sick of busy bodys and self righteous cunts thinking if your not wearing safety gear your a idiot...how about you just let people be people and do what ever the hell they like!!! shit...

and a foot note....99% of people that post these posts are shit useless riders...more likely to fall off because of there own lack of ability than any other reason!! MOST motorcycle accidents happen in NZ are rider error!! so alog with quit harping on about lack of gear...shut the hell up about cars and trucks etc...the amount of whinging you here from riders is enough to drive a guy nuts!! get on with your own life...leave everyone else alone for christ sake!!

Grizzo
12th February 2009, 18:44
Well that was cheery as fuck:(

Leyton
12th February 2009, 19:08
I am being attacked, and I dont care MOAHAHAHA... Nah j/k. I take no offence and agree with all points :)

I just see lost toes when I see those jandle toating scooters hehe, Sure its there toes. But its our acc levys too :/

skidMark
12th February 2009, 19:28

*16 times i thought?

And yeah 50kph is still 50kph....

awayatc
12th February 2009, 19:53
Sure its there toes. But its our acc levys too :/

so we will have to ban rugby, skiing, horse riding, hanggliding......etc.etc.etc.

By the way, 86.23% of the world population dies in bed....
Let's making sleeping illegal as well....

awayatc
12th February 2009, 20:01
By the way, for whatever it is worth, I usualy wear full protectective goodies....
But I like to make that decision for myself.....
I've blasted plenty of miles without lid,
and even more with only cotton and denim protection....
Minimal risk compared to most other situations I find myself being exposed to...
Must be a sheltered life where riding without protective gear is such an issue...

Leyton
12th February 2009, 21:00
Back to my first question really :P So scooters count towards motorbike accident stats ?

DougB
12th February 2009, 21:15
This topic has come up several times before and going on about motorcyclists and scooter riders without gear is pointless because all people on this forum are aware of the dangers. You are preaching to the converted. I dispute that scooter riders are the main offenders most bike riders I see in Hamilton are riding without full gear also.

You cant have seen me on my maxi scooter around Hamilton, I wear protective gear.

Leyton
12th February 2009, 21:31
This topic has come up several times before and going on about motorcyclists and scooter riders without gear is pointless because all people on this forum are aware of the dangers. You are preaching to the converted. I dispute that scooter riders are the main offenders most bike riders I see in Hamilton are riding without full gear also.

You cant have seen me on my maxi scooter around Hamilton, I wear protective gear.

I might read my first post, How this thread ended up like this I dont know...

Leyton
12th February 2009, 21:33
Mostly see them with jandles, shorts, t-shirt, and a helmet. This really has to change!

Yeah I see where I went wrong. I forgot to include

IN MY OPINION!
"This really has to change!"

But the point of the post was to find out if Scooter accidents acount as Motorcyclist accidents out of pure interest.

I myself have done the odd erin in shorts and a t-shirt at my own risk, so what. I am just curious to see if there was a strong connection between claims where riders could have prevented gravel rash, and to see if its mainly those who ride jandle on scooters hehe

I see kids riding to school in the morning with there oversized schoolbags and jandles and I do wonder if they are included in Motorcyclist injury stats.

davereid
13th February 2009, 07:08
I see kids riding to school in the morning with there oversized schoolbags and jandles and I do wonder if they are included in Motorcyclist injury stats.

Yes they are. However it would appear that the death rate for scooterists is very very low. I base this on fact the Transport Agency has decided moped reg bikes have such a low accident rate that they will not be requiring them to get a WOF - a decision made in the last few months.

Leyton
13th February 2009, 20:24
Yes they are. However it would appear that the death rate for scooterists is very very low. I base this on fact the Transport Agency has decided moped reg bikes have such a low accident rate that they will not be requiring them to get a WOF - a decision made in the last few months.

Ahhh so death rate is the deciding factor :) Cheers for your responce :)

awayatc
14th February 2009, 18:56
Other point to consider maybe.....Would you end up in the statistics when you come off at low speed and end up with non lifethreatening gravelrash injuries.......
Just a thought....

ital916
15th February 2009, 14:22
Oh, the humanity! And a YouTube video with a sequence of photos of bike crashes and ominous 'dun dun dunnn!' music, even.

That idea doesnt work, group responsibilty does need to be applied otherwise everyone suffers in one form or another. What you have said is similar to saying let everyone live how they want, inevitably someone will live in a way that harms themselves or more importantly others. Taking responsibility as a group knowing full well out off say 300 cases you might actually make a difference in 1 is still paramount.

I dont know about you jrandom but I still like to to have a word with people who ride with no gear, whether they listen or not I still try.

But then even if you die an old man in bed you will not see the deteriortation of the motorcycling cutlture through people who are reckless and knowingly give us a bad rep by not taking precautions against injury, us "young uns" will.

:niceone: nice one champ.

jrandom
15th February 2009, 14:35
I dont know about you jrandom but I still like to to have a word with people who ride with no gear, whether they listen or not I still try.

Total strangers? What a cocksucker. Anyone ever tries that shit on with me, they'll get a super-tasty piece of my mind in response.

:sunny:

carver
15th February 2009, 16:33
I found something graphicly real on youtube Re: Those scooter riders and some motorbike riders who do not where a safe level of protections on the roads..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZw2cxdGnFE&feature=related

I have never come across a scooter rider in Hamilton yet who has had full protection.

i never wear gear on a scooter-most bins wins

Leyton
15th February 2009, 18:29
i never wear gear on a scooter-most bins wins

90 Mile beach does not count :P

marty
15th February 2009, 18:41
Total strangers? What a cocksucker. Anyone ever tries that shit on with me, they'll get a super-tasty piece of my mind in response.

true. the nosey fuck had better be able to run fast or be wearing safety gear if he came up to me and told me what i should be doing with my life.

i rode the bus to lunch today in sketchers, shorts and a nice button up shirt. was aware of my exposed skin, so kept the speed down to 130, and only lane split a little bit along cobham drive. nice montieths and steak at boston it was too

R6_kid
15th February 2009, 20:06
That idea doesnt work, group responsibilty does need to be applied otherwise everyone suffers in one form or another. What you have said is similar to saying let everyone live how they want, inevitably someone will live in a way that harms themselves or more importantly others.

We live in a 'free' country - that is, within the laws of the land you are free to do as you choose. In saying that, the only law relating to motorcycle safety gear is that you must wear an approved helmet. Outside of that you are free to do as you please.

Forcing your opinion onto other people is sure to get you a quickfire response from those that wish to think and act for themselves, but most of all you'll probably just get a reputation for being a cock.

carver
15th February 2009, 20:37
true. the nosey fuck had better be able to run fast or be wearing safety gear if he came up to me and told me what i should be doing with my life.

i rode the bus to lunch today in sketchers, shorts and a nice button up shirt. was aware of my exposed skin, so kept the speed down to 130, and only lane split a little bit along cobham drive. nice montieths and steak at boston it was too

We live in a 'free' country - that is, within the laws of the land you are free to do as you choose. In saying that, the only law relating to motorcycle safety gear is that you must wear an approved helmet. Outside of that you are free to do as you please.

Forcing your opinion onto other people is sure to get you a quickfire response from those that wish to think and act for themselves, but most of all you'll probably just get a reputation for being a cock.

i totally agree, bit like madbikeboy on here....

ital916
16th February 2009, 02:28

Hahahaha....hahaha....haha oooh jrandom your so tough. I love how you never got past the name calling stage of your child hood. Im waiting for that super tasty piece of your mind :msn-wink:

ital916
16th February 2009, 02:29

oh dear, I seem to be one of the only people that cares about others, hmm a trait I shall have to beat out of myself.:brick:

ital916
16th February 2009, 02:31

oh dear....I hope you havent procreated.

marty
16th February 2009, 04:37
twice. and they're both mean as mofos too.

jrandom
16th February 2009, 07:39
oooh jrandom your so tough.

Good to see you've realised that already.

Usarka
16th February 2009, 07:51

Give up motorcycling you goose - statistics show it is dangerous. Have you seen the mess crashing a bike can make, even with safety gear? Go on give it up, it's for your own good.

ital916
16th February 2009, 09:30
Give up motorcycling you goose - statistics show it is dangerous. Have you seen the mess crashing a bike can make, even with safety gear? Go on give it up, it's for your own good.

Oh I try not to think about it, I will live to be a ripe old motorcyclist....I know, I know, it is silly of me not to have tried riding without much gear on, what a rush though it must be. The wind on my leg hair and all. Ahhh to skip the era of my motorcycling in which I ride recklessly and carefree, a phase many of the "wiser" among us have gone through :msn-wink:.

ital916
16th February 2009, 09:33
Good to see you've realised that already.

I was being sarcastic but if it makes you feel better....my pleasure, wellnot really but take it anyway...go on you deserve it you big tough biker you.

ital916
16th February 2009, 09:34
twice. and they're both mean as mofos too.

Ahhh I was correct then, they are the two in your avatar. I think the red one looks a little camp.......might want to keep an eye on that one.