PDA

View Full Version : It is illegal to sell childrens motorbikes in the USA

HenryDorsetCase
11th February 2009, 20:43
No shit.

check out the link (http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2009/02/its-now-illegal-to-sell-childr.html#more) on Hell for Leather.

Basically a US government body has decreed that no product aimed at use by children may have a lead content of more than 660 parts per million.

Lead is alloyed in to aluminium, some paint, and steels used in constructing motorbikes. The concentration is between 100 and 2000 ppm depending on what the parts are, and what they do. 2000 ppm is the european standard.

The kicker is to ingest lead, your kid would have to cut chunks off his or her bike, eat them, AND DIGEST THEM. the lead used is inert in its alloyed form.

Basically this is just a giant bureaucratic fuckup.

Think it couldn't happen here? In a land where you can be forced on a whim to give a DNA sample by any pleecemin just because they feel like it. Yeah Right. It could never happen here.

zzzbang
11th February 2009, 23:01
Try rodney council for resource consent, theres a bureaucratic screw up for you.

H00dz
11th February 2009, 23:10
Try rodney council for resource consent, theres a bureaucratic screw up for you.

Try the Far North council's resource consent process for screw ups, I think the may have drafted it for the Rodney council

The Stranger
11th February 2009, 23:19
Umm, do they still permit the use of mercury amalgam fillings in the states per chance?

HenryDorsetCase
12th February 2009, 09:47
not sure. but that article points out that the standard for lead content for plumbing fittings is much higher than either 660ppm or I think 2000ppm.

firefighter
12th February 2009, 10:10
I'm surprised at that, I struggled to find a shotglass over there that didn't carry a label warning that it was painted with Lead paint!!!!! How fucked up is that?!

As for that, well yes it's pretty strange, if anything the yanks usually can get away with far more dangerous toys than what we have here (lucky buggers) (you can get some really cool shit over there - it's great it's not so much of a nanny state, they love their freedoms it's something I admire)

98tls
15th February 2009, 18:52
Jesus with all the junk food around i wouldnt think there was a need to but hey.http://www.motorcycledaily.com/28january09_salesban.htm

Lilly2w
15th February 2009, 18:56
Ah, That explains the recent headaches and mania, must stop licking the honda.

skidMark
15th February 2009, 19:06
Ah, That explains the recent headaches and mania, must stop licking the honda.

Did you say.....whati think you just said...:confused:

Lilly2w
15th February 2009, 19:10
What? its a sexy honda, i can't help it:Oops:

Sharry
15th February 2009, 19:25
Does this mean that we will be banned from leaving our steads in public car parks in case a child escapes from its parents grip and starts to chew the paint :shit:

skidMark
15th February 2009, 19:33
What? its a sexy honda, i can't help it:Oops:

I have no comeback other than...

Hav mah bebiez.

Fudmucker
21st February 2009, 14:47
Disclaimer: The following personal opinion does not imply anything pertaining to the United States of America, it's legislators, legal profession or general population. Any similarity thereto is purely coincidental.

:rolleyes:

This is yet another example of legislators passing another piece of legislation to punish manufacturers for the actions of parents. This whole problem flows from attorneys getting their fees on a contingency basis. If they lose the case, they get nothing - if they win they get 50% of the damages. So, when the legal eagles look for somebody to sue, they don't look for who is/should be held responsible (like parents who don't know/give a shit!) but rather go for somebody who has got money / litigation insurance.

If a manufacturer didn't tell you NOT to put your child in their dishwasher, then you can sue them for gazillions because you DID put the kid there...! Some people are so stupid and so arrogant that they continuously contend that someone else must be held accountable for something they did - and the legal profession in some countries is in support of that stupidity and arrogance.:argue:

Perhaps Honda could sell their products in a hermetically sealed plastic wrap (that contains less than 600 parts per million lead) with a large notice printed thereon saying that anyone removing the wrapper is modifying the product without the manufacturers permission and, by so doing, thereby assumes full legal responsibility for the display, storage and use of the product...and for the ecologically acceptable disposal of the plastic wrapper?

During a recent trip to the USA, I just had to buy a manufacturer-branded lanyard to hang my motorcycle keys around my neck. Unlike the gazillion other lanyards that are just a piece of string, this one had a fail-safe press-fit join at the back of the neck, cleverly designed to break apart to prevent it from snagging on something and possibly throttling you...and then suing them for damages.

Of course this does mean that they FAILED to inform you that, should you NOT notice snagging it on something, it will also break apart and dump your keys onto the street... :Oops: ...which was why you bought the product in the first place...:doh:...and then you can sue for damages due to losing your keys ! :devil2:

Maki
8th March 2009, 11:42
Honest, so kids can't buy a Hayabusa anymore?!?

That sucks...