PDA

View Full Version : New Donington track layout simulated

Bob
14th February 2009, 01:06
A simulation of the new Donington track layout can be seen at:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7886964.stm

On viewing this, it looks like being far more flowing than the existing layout.

lostinflyz
14th February 2009, 03:38
meh looks pretty similar. they havent changed any of the really good bits and the new bits dont add anything more than the old bits.

dissappointing that they lost the gp there. if sbk goes ill be really gutted.

Bob
14th February 2009, 04:32
meh looks pretty similar. they havent changed any of the really good bits and the new bits dont add anything more than the old bits.

The most important change is that they got rid of that stupid little set of bends that they had to bolt on years ago to make the track international length. I've seen racing without that and Donington is a lovely, flowing track without it.

The following link shows in more detail the changes:

http://www.donington-park.co.uk/files/pdf/master_plan.pdf

Bob
14th February 2009, 04:35

I think we're all gutted that Silverstone got the MotoGP - but given the loss of F1, they would have had a pile of cash to wave at Dorna.

lostinflyz
14th February 2009, 04:59
too true about silverstone and money but it kinda seemed that donnington didn't really care to much about it. it seemed a bit no effort from it.

yea the bolt on corner(s) were a bit iffy but the new stuff looks kinda looks i dunno, bland. i liked the wee bit of stop starty ness it used to have. and for f1 where the hell are you gonna over take. theres only 1 possible place i can see.

Bob
14th February 2009, 05:04
From what I read, it seemed that Jonathan Palmer (the owner of Donington among other UK tracks) wasn't given the chance to keep hold of MotoGP.

His press on the subject was very angry indeed.

Mort
15th February 2009, 13:48
The new track looks great... I'd love to ride it. It was one of my faves.... this makes it even better.

BTW - Jonathon Palmer does not own Donington. Simon Gillet does (well actually he leases it from Tom Wheatcroft). Palmer owns Motorsport Vision who own Brands Hatch, Cadwell, Oulton Park, Snetterton and Bedford Autodrome.

Bob
16th February 2009, 08:52
The new track looks great... I'd love to ride it. It was one of my faves.... this makes it even better.

BTW - Jonathan Palmer does not own Donington. Simon Gillet does (well actually he leases it from Tom Wheatcroft). Palmer owns Motorsport Vision who own Brands Hatch, Cadwell, Oulton Park, Snetterton and Bedford Autodrome.

Thanks for the correction. Much appreciated. Funny you should mention Oulton Park - that is a great circuit as well - real riders circuit. Never taken a bike round there, but I have ridden Snetterton... that is fun!