PDA

View Full Version : Battery or charging system

Stromble
14th February 2009, 12:17
Whats the easiest way to tell if the battery is shot? or whether its the charging system..?

Basically, bike runs fine, but once stopped, it wont start again without a jump from external pack..

Bike is a 98 Suzuki Freewind XF650..

Ixion
14th February 2009, 12:21
Voltmeter is best. Quick and dirty, immediately after jump starting it, turn on lights, rev engine to about 2-3000 rpm. Do lights come up good and bright when engines revs, fade away at idle? Probably battery. If they are dim all the time, probably charging.

Stromble
14th February 2009, 12:54
Voltmeter is best. Quick and dirty, immediately after jump starting it, turn on lights, rev engine to about 2-3000 rpm. Do lights come up good and bright when engines revs, fade away at idle? Probably battery. If they are dim all the time, probably charging.

Thanks..

Lights are consistently bright.. at all revs, possibly battery then?

hmmmnz
14th February 2009, 17:13
that would indicate its the charging system, if it was the battery and the charging system was ok, then the lights would increase brightness with the revs, is it fuel injected?? if not, then with the bike running pull the earth terminal off the battery, if the bike dies then its the charging system,
if it keeps running then its the battery,

chances are though that its your battery, other wise while your riding the bike it would just die when the battery became flat,

CookMySock
15th February 2009, 13:56
The proper way to test any battery is use a load tester. Charge the battery fully overnight and then take it to your bike shop, automotive garage, or auto electrician and ask them to load test it for you. Tell them you charged it overnight. Watch them do the test, and ask them how it works, and all will become clear.

Steve

steph88m
19th February 2009, 11:16
yay this thread totally answered one of my questions.

ALSO, is it hard to change the battery? Im really new to this and my battery stil goes but it definately needs replacing.

Max Preload
19th February 2009, 13:21
ALSO, is it hard to change the battery? Im really new to this and my battery stil goes but it definately needs replacing.

Nope - piece of cake. Just make sure that the negative terminal first to come off the old battery and the last to go on the new one.