PDA

View Full Version : What a hoot.... TOMCC

Paul in NZ
14th February 2009, 18:26
The TOMCC rally is on this weekend in wellie up at the Kaitoke YMCA.

I went up and did some Triumph movies last night for them after work (jeeze I was pooped after last week). Anyway, I hoofed it home in the car, got home 1am or so.. So.. Lazy old morning, got me wetsuit on and went to see if I could get a fish but jeeze the southly was cold and it was a bit windy for the kayak so I slunk home and did the lawns n picked up all the broken tree stuff... I was knacked anyway...

So - thought we would tootle over after lunch and check out the bike show... Since I do like me old Triumphs n all... Took ages to get there, everytime we stopped some one went 'nice old bike' blah blah including one guy with a T120 piston in his hand (now how odd is THAT)... I didn't mention anything - perhaps he was buying a T120 one bit at a time...

Turns out he was looking for a ring compressor and has 2 x 1970 T120's - juccky bugger - but I liked my idea better....

So anyway - we get gas and roooooommmm down the highway at a steady 100kph cos we aint in no hurry today... Mr dork boy in his poxy Astra blows past at a ridiculous speed... but we wind him in going over the Paekekareki hill (he seems to need both sides of the road for corners?) only to have him catch up to us at Haywards but - we let him wobble past, it seems important to him and like I said, we aint in no hurry....

Anyway - We drop into Upper Hutt to get some cash and a Lotto ticket.. Crazy lookin old dude LOVES the bike and guess what - he's not that crazy and knows exactly what it is - have another nice chat - he reckons it made his day! Ha - god I love this bike..

Get to the rally and Simon say 'Hi Guys, stick it over there' So we do and wander off, have a laugh, meet some mates, talk shit, have a beer, take part in the tug o war... (won 2 lost 1) and a free coffee and suddenly we need to get going as we have to be on a plane early sunday and I still have not packed or anything (damn cheap flights)...

Guess what - we parked IN the bike show... Ooops... And.. we won Best Restored Triumph.... (Best Ok - not most original or most authentic or anything, just the prize for the old shitter the judges liked the best I suppose??)

What a bloody hoot.... This was the 15th annual TOMCC rally. I won 'Best Triumph' with that bike at the First TOMCC rally 15 years ago.... It hasn't changed much and it's done a shit load of miles...

God I love that bike - you never know whats gunna happen next..

sinfull
14th February 2009, 19:43
Good stuff ! Congrats man, couldn't think of a better end to a days outing !

merv
14th February 2009, 19:50
Good on ya Paul, we all know that bike looks good :2thumbsup

Paul in NZ
14th February 2009, 20:02
Good on ya Paul, we all know that bike looks good :2thumbsup

Thanks Merv... Sadly there were much better bikes there (technically more correct) but there is just something about the green monster that makes folks go gah gah... Its odd, we have owned it so long really all we see are the things that are wrong with it...

It was pretty hilarious... I don't think we had even got our helmets off before two blokes were arguing over whether the bolts were correct (nope) and someone wanted to know about the seat... Gawd - next to no old bikes last year - more than enough this year...