PDA

View Full Version : XR400 Motard - Best tyres for it.

bimotabob
17th February 2009, 11:14
HI,

I have just purchased a set of rims for my trusty work commute XR400.
The ones I have got were off one so should fit but tyres width will be something to be careful about.

They are 3.00 front and 4.00 rear by 17.
I guess the std tyre sizes for the rims would be 110/70-17 and 140/70-17.

I want something good, are dunlops the only option?
The local bike shops don't hold stock by I would think CBR250's etc use those rim sizes.

The trail MT90 tyres currently on it are so scary they should be banned!
I got dumped onto the road last week at slow speed doing a u turn.
Perfectly dry road and the rear end just slid out and down I went!
It keeps breaking spokes, they are all seized as most old spokes are.

Cheers

GaZBur
17th February 2009, 11:56
Dunlop 501's if you are road riding GPRa10's for racing.
The 501 is a ply tyre designed for wet road use. Shreds a bit on the track though. GPR's are a radial, heaps of grip on the track - hopefully will last OK for commuting. I use 110 front and 150 rear on the DR but have also found a Pirelli Sport Demon in 140 was good for grip but didn't last well.

bimotabob
24th March 2009, 17:42
Cheers for the Info - Just went out and got the Dunlop GPR A10's for it.
Bike handles way better than with the square trail MT40's it had, fitted a fork brace too as these flex a bit.

Anyone have the later firmer springs they will sell or a rear shock for the old girl?

Cheers

GaZBur
25th March 2009, 07:48
Cheers for the Info - Just went out and got the Dunlop GPR A10's for it....
Cheers

Great choice, I just changed to those too. What a difference they made to my confidence in corners. They are a big improvement to the 501's. Surprisingly they will slide when you push them too far and still recover the slide and I believe they saved me twice from what would have been a fall at the last practice session. I am now sold on these!