PDA

View Full Version : Warm starting DRZ400SM

Willdat?
17th February 2009, 15:13
Was wondering what sort of techniques people use for warm starting their bikes. It's definitely a downside of the electric start that I look like a teenis cranking it for up to 3 lots of 5 seconds.

Handbook recommends no choke and starter, or 1/8-1/4 throttle if no joy. I hate that my kick start 1988 Honda GL145 always started first kick, cold, warm or hot. Where as my 1200km old (just serviced) DRZ400SM takes longer...any advice?

Morcs
17th February 2009, 15:16
Never really had any issues with mine, just hit the starter and keep it pinned, and work the throttle until it goes?

buggsubique
20th February 2009, 18:57
Never really had any issues with mine, just hit the starter and keep it pinned, and work the throttle until it goes?

neither, just give it a slight crack of the throttle.

Silage
23rd February 2009, 13:17
Mine always starts easy warm or cold. Like the others, no choke slight throttle, stab of the starter and brrrm.

Cold also never has been an issue. If it has been a cool night then choke on first click and starts about first cylinder. If not too cold or during the day then it usually starts no choke.

I have only had the bike 5 months and done 3000km however.

What fuel are you using (me, 91) and does the bike sit unused for weeks with old fuel accumulated? I find with the 10L tank, I refuel every 1-2 weeks.

Willdat?
23rd February 2009, 13:30
I've been using 95, should I be using 91? The user manual suggests 91 or higher.

The bikes only done 1300km, the whole reason I'd like to get this sorted is starting it outside shops, I'm riding what I consider a 'showy' bike, the excessive cranking makes me look like I can't ride it...

Will have a play with slight throttle no choke as that sounds like a winner.

Will be riding over Blenheim when I get my full in 6 weeks to visit you buggsubique. :yes:

kezzafish
23rd February 2009, 22:36
ha haaaa,
Starting your showy bike outside shops is an important part of motorcycling. You best put avgas in it

Tony W
24th February 2009, 20:07
Your SM should start with no throttle, hot or cold.( cold with choke on full)

Use a higher octane fuel, it will "pink" under load on 91.

Take it back to the shop if you keep having the problem with starting.
It should start easily.

Cheers.

Bulldog
25th February 2009, 23:29
Can't remember....is there a hot start knob on the drs? Certainly is on every other motard with carbs....you pull that puppy out crank it and turn it off quickly. Look for another choke looking knob near the choke.

MyGSXF
25th February 2009, 23:40
Pics of said new vehicular are required plez!! :2thumbsup

Silage
28th February 2009, 20:07
Use a higher octane fuel, it will "pink" under load on 91.Cheers.

I only have 3000km on mine and haven't "tested" it in all conditions yet but the only sign I have had of it pinking on 91 is winding the throttle open from dead idle (not a good idea). At 11.3 compression, I would expect it to be a bit intollerant of 91 but to me it seems OK and I prefer to run the "cleanest" gas possible.

Agree though that Wildat should take it in for the dealer to have a look at.

Tony W
1st March 2009, 09:18
I only have 3000km on mine and haven't "tested" it in all conditions yet but the only sign I have had of it pinking on 91 is winding the throttle open from dead idle (not a good idea). At 11.3 compression, I would expect it to be a bit intollerant of 91 but to me it seems OK and I prefer to run the "cleanest" gas possible.

Agree though that Wildat should take it in for the dealer to have a look at.

Yeah, I guess we'd need some sort of expert to tell us if 91 is "cleanest" !
I know it's "cheapest"..... :D

Think of your bike... :weep:

I've done 39,000 km on mine . Needed only 1 exhaust valve done on its 1st clearance adjustment yesterday, .1mm, still on original spark plug. Will shout it a new one soon !

Willdat?
6th March 2009, 10:37
No choke, no throttle (ever, hot or cold) seems to be the key. Still not as eager to start as a bike of this age should be. But usually ready to go in 5 seconds. Maybe it just knows I don't get my full for another 5 weeks...