PDA

View Full Version : New road rules

Redstar
25th February 2005, 21:21
Is it OK to use the bus lanes from feb 27th?

http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/road-user-safety/new-road-rules/

well according to the most recent offering from the LTSA if its a Bus lane it is
???? what do you think they mean? check it out? :niceone:

Skunk
25th February 2005, 21:33

well according to the most recent offering from the LTSA if its a Bus lane it is
That will be interesting. They don't say whether that law over-rides local council bylaws or not do they? Anyone *know*?

Da Bird
25th February 2005, 21:39
That will be interesting. They don't say whether that law over-rides local council bylaws or not do they? Anyone *know*?

As far as I know, the new law allowing cyclists, motorcyclists and buses to use bus lanes is nationwide, regardless of any council's bylaw's. It is designed to make it standard throughout the country whereas up til now, some councils imposed fines anywhere from $150 to $750 for illegally using a bus lane. If I get any more info, I'll let you know.

BC.

Skunk
25th February 2005, 21:47
As far as I know, the new law allowing cyclists, motorcyclists and buses to use bus lanes is nationwide, regardless of any council's bylaw's. It is designed to make it standard throughout the country whereas up til now, some councils imposed fines anywhere from $150 to $750 for illegally using a bus lane. If I get any more info, I'll let you know.

BC.Cheers mate. It'll be good to know.
Don't like the look of them in Wellington - they're painted green and I don't really want to find out how slippery they are in the wet just yet.

Redstar
25th February 2005, 21:51
I have e mailed the LTSA for clarification as I suspect they forgot that some motorways have designated the emergency sholder as a bus lane and marked it clearly as such. there are some other legislations governing the use of a sholder as a bus lane that prohibit the use of Motor vechicles other than buses I think the new road rules have not clearly stated this and thus by default we have a valid defence from Feb 27th for zipping up the sholder? until they verify this fact publically in the media you have said defence?
I suggest you print and carry the new rule as insurance againts infringement I know I will!

thehollowmen
25th February 2005, 22:51
Only cyclists, motorcyclists and buses are allowed to use bus lanes.

Mwahahhaha they left out scooters and mopeds :-D

Redstar
25th February 2005, 23:03
theres a reason for that! while there is a school of thought that all bikers are created equal its not so. persons who ride mopeds and vespa thingies are a subversive group who either evolve or die! sorry but its true its all about size!

bugjuice
25th February 2005, 23:57
I thought we could always use bus lanes...? Didn't think this was anything new..

limmy
26th February 2005, 07:17
I thought we could always use bus lanes...? Didn't think this was anything new..

me too. thought that was always the rule. but some one told me apparently it depends on the local councils. Well....I've been riding in the bus lane everyday on my way to work and nobody seems to mind so i guess its ok in my local council.

bugjuice
26th February 2005, 08:04
me too. thought that was always the rule. but some one told me apparently it depends on the local councils. Well....I've been riding in the bus lane everyday on my way to work and nobody seems to mind so i guess its ok in my local council.
I've been doing it for years, even past cops etc, and no one has ever said anything. Red Baron in Grey Lynn has a bloody big poster/sign in their shop, which seems to have been there forever, saying that bikes can use the bus lane.. Just doesn't make sense..

Ricamortise
26th February 2005, 08:40
nzherald (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?c_id=1&ObjectID=10112759)

A lot of scope for latitude in interpretation of the rules
unsafe passing (35 points) < Looks a nasty one for bikers

Have any guide lines been issued to "The Farce"? [sp?]

MikeL
26th February 2005, 08:53
Can someone (preferably connected with the enforcement of the relevant regulations) please justify the decision to allocate 35 demerit points for entering a pedestrian crossing when the passage is blocked compared to 20 for failing to give way when entering a roundabout??
Can anyone suggest other anomalies in the new regulations?
If as is by no means unlikely these new penalties are enthusiastically enforced(as with speeding offences) it will at least have the advantage of reducing traffic congestion, even though it does nothing for the road toll, as all the minor traffic offenders are removed from the roads...

I also note John Roughan's column in the Herald. Resident KB cops will dismiss him as another whinger just venting his spleen because he got a speeding ticket...

jrandom
26th February 2005, 09:06
Can someone (preferably connected with the enforcement of the relevant regulations) please justify the decision to allocate 35 demerit points for entering a pedestrian crossing when the passage is blocked compared to 20 for failing to give way when entering a roundabout??

The new regs appear to heavily weight offenses that jeopardise pedestrians, which I think is laudable.

I support the apparent general philosophy behind the descriptions and penalties for these new offenses. When used by a police officer with appropriate discretion, they should be excellent tools for landing heavy thwacks on the bad drivers we always moan about while ranting on the pointlessness of persnickety speed enforcement.

You might see people who commit these offenses as 'minor traffic offenders'; is nobody a 'major' traffic offender until they actually kill someone, then? The single offense of 'unsafe passing', with 35 points, covers a whole multitude of naughtiness, and is much more likely to be applied and have a deterrent effect than the old point-free $150 'passing where prohibited' or a charge of dangerous driving with the accompanied delays and stuffing around in Court.

Note that these offenses are not expensive. They just put you in danger of losing your licence which, IMHO, is the way traffic enforcement *should* work. In fact, Mr Disingenuity, I do believe you have made similar comments yourself in previous speed-enforcement criticisms...

MikeL
26th February 2005, 09:24
In fact, Mr Disingenuity, I do believe you have made similar comments yourself in previous speed-enforcement criticisms...

Too-shay...

But when you're sitting on 95 points perhaps you might have a different perspective...

MacD
26th February 2005, 09:32

This was an Auckland City bylaw. There are a bunch of old threads on this and I think riders weren't allowed to use the bus lanes on the North Shore? Motorway buslanes were certainly excluded.

MacD
26th February 2005, 09:38
Offences that carry demerit points:

Failing to drive as near as practicable to the left of the roadway: 20

Interesting to see how this one is enforced? It uses the term roadway rather than lane, so could it be applied to people who block the right-hand lane on multi-lane roads?

On the other hand it could be used to ticket motorcyclists who ride in the right-hand tyre track...

crashe
26th February 2005, 09:40
Ok I took note early today when travelling home...
On the Nor-western motorway between Royal Rd to Te Atatu Rd exit, that on the bus lane it has a sign up "BUSES ONLY". So unless they are going to haul them down tomorrow, I shall not venture out onto that lane. Until I get it in writing from LSTA and then I will carry that paper with me at all times. As to the rest of the motorways, I havent taken much note... but will do so over the next day or so.

I sure hope that they allow us to use it....

alastabesta
26th February 2005, 09:59

just checked the ltsa site and sounds like its a proper sub-delegated legislation (http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/road-user-safety/new-road-rules/rur-qas.html#general)
by my understanding this legislation cannot be challenged therefore should in theory override the by-laws which can be challenged by courts. Having said that I don't see anything unreasonable in the "new rules"

with regards to roundabout, I thought its what we had to do at the first place...? yet I kept on hearing all those fusses about how the "new rules for roundabout is so confusing..."etc
correct me if i'm wrong... :confused:

MacD
26th February 2005, 10:49
with regards to roundabout, I thought its what we had to do at the first place...? yet I kept on hearing all those fusses about how the "new rules for roundabout is so confusing..."etc
correct me if i'm wrong... :confused:

The Road Code has "suggested" indicating left as you leave a roundabout for quite a while, or right as you pass around, but evidently there was no legislation that specifically required it until now. :spudwhat:

TwoSeven
26th February 2005, 15:00
Dont forget the new set of Demerit points also start today.

crashe
26th February 2005, 15:53
Dont forget the new set of Demerit points also start today.

Huh what you talking about...?
Did I miss something.... I must of... dang it..

Please, tell me what you talking about...

MikeL
26th February 2005, 16:18
Huh what you talking about...?
Did I miss something.... I must of... dang it..

Please, tell me what you talking about...

How could you have possibly missed the extensive education and publicity campaign that the LTSA and Police Farce have responsibly undertaken over the last 3 months to ensure that all road users are fully aware of the new regulations?

Da Bird
26th February 2005, 16:26
nzherald (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?c_id=1&ObjectID=10112759)

A lot of scope for latitude in interpretation of the rules
unsafe passing (35 points) < Looks a nasty one for bikers

Have any guide lines been issued to "The Farce"? [sp?]

In a word, "no". There has been no training as such, just found a book on the boss' desk this morning about all the new rules. I would predict the first month or so, most cops will give warnings for most new offences, such as indicating when exiting a roundabout. And that will give us time to read up about it all too!

Da Bird
26th February 2005, 16:29
Can anyone suggest other anomalies in the new regulations?
If as is by no means unlikely these new penalties are enthusiastically enforced(as with speeding offences) it will at least have the advantage of reducing traffic congestion, even though it does nothing for the road toll, as all the minor traffic offenders are removed from the roads...

I also note John Roughan's column in the Herald. Resident KB cops will dismiss him as another whinger just venting his spleen because he got a speeding ticket...

Sorry, can't do any justifying for you - I don't make the rules. However, I see from the Herald article there are still no demerits for Failing to Comply With a Red Traffic Light - that is one offence there should definitely be demerits for in my opinion. Haven't had a chance to read the article you mention yet but will have a look.

avgas
26th February 2005, 16:36
Cant say i didnt warn you all, please people, act like assholes of the road so that people see you, get a big bore muffler etc etc
i would hate for anyones legs to have the same fate as mine just cos of a bus lane law.
Titanium seems cool, but it hurts every fucken day. And you go from being a relatively good rider, to a timid one.

crashe
26th February 2005, 16:45
How could you have possibly missed the extensive education and publicity campaign that the LTSA and Police Farce have responsibly undertaken over the last 3 months to ensure that all road users are fully aware of the new regulations?

Oh shit..... where the hell was I when this was all happening... and not watching the news.... Oh yeah I was on here.... and looking after my grandaughter.

Seriously I havent heard a thing about the demerits points at all...
Just know about the roundabouts and pedestrian crossings...
And hopefully we can eventually use ALL "Bus lanes".

So can you or someone else fill me in on the demerit points stuff.
Thanks in advance.

Ricamortise
26th February 2005, 16:49
In a word, "no". There has been no training as such, just found a book on the boss' desk this morning about all the new rules. I would predict the first month or so, most cops will give warnings for most new offences, such as indicating when exiting a roundabout. And that will give us time to read up about it all too!

Any info you could share on "interpretation" would be helpful to all in here.

Bit concerned about the overtaking one, coz of my own riding style, in as
much as indicating is a waste of time since the maneuver is over before
the lights have flashed a couple of times.

Da Bird
26th February 2005, 17:58
Any info you could share on "interpretation" would be helpful to all in here.

Bit concerned about the overtaking one, coz of my own riding style, in as
much as indicating is a waste of time since the maneuver is over before
the lights have flashed a couple of times.

Have to have a decent look at it all next week but I would say your "style" would easily come under the current "Failing to indicate move to the right" offence... dunno about any demerits for that one.

MikeL
26th February 2005, 19:53
Seriously, though...
To get through the Royal Oak roundabout when there is heavy traffic (i.e. any time between 7 a.m. and 7 pm) you have to be quick. This afternoon I went through, from Manukau Rd (sth) straight ahead to Manukau Rd (nth).
From the time I cancelled the right blinker and flicked on the left to exit, until I was through, was no more than 2 blinks of the indicator. And of course the flicking on and off had to be done while scanning both left and right for careless cagers, and covering the brake ready to scream to a halt because Mrs Brainless "didn't see me"... and quite possibly changing gears as well...
Piece of cake.

Only someone should keep a tally of the accidents at this intersection and see whether the new rules result in fewer or more...

spudchucka
26th February 2005, 21:11
You sound like the new Lou. I never buy the Herald because of the off chance that some of Lou's rants are likely to be published in it so I have no idea who that John bloke is.

MikeL
26th February 2005, 21:13
I never buy the Herald because of the off chance that some of Lou's rants are likely to be published in it

Has he really got to you that much...?

BTW John Roughan is assistant editor of the Herald or some such...
A nonentity, obviously.

moko
27th February 2005, 13:54

Why dont they make it nice and simple like in the U.K? It goes like this,some places you can,someplaces you cant,some places bicycles can but motorcycles cant.In Plymouth we have "24 hour bus-lanes",which you`d think would imply a 24-hour bus service unless you were wise to the ways of local councils in Britain when you wouldn`t be suprised to learn that the buses are off the road by 11p.m. every night.This from the same council that reduced the main road through the city-centre to a single-lane,"to improve traffic flow" and put a pedestrian crossing in "to make crossing safer for pedestrians",though they`ve yet to explain the logic of filling in the underpass where the crossing is now for no apparent reason.oh yeah,they recently voted themselves a 100% increase in expenses while blaming the government for local taxes going up.This is the kind of stuff that keeps the good folk of the N.Z. immigration service busy.

spudchucka
27th February 2005, 15:57
Has he really got to you that much...?
I'm not the one convalescing in the south island!

thehollowmen
27th February 2005, 16:40

Easy - I don't watch the news because I work evenings and I can't be bothered with being forced to recycle newspapers...

I miss out on a lot of NZ news this way

ZorsT
27th February 2005, 16:43
Easy - I don't watch the news because I work evenings and I can't be bothered with being forced to recycle newspapers...

I miss out on a lot of NZ news this way

I think MikeL was taking the piss, cos i didn't notice

the extensive education and publicity campaign that the LTSA and Police Farce have responsibly undertaken over the last 3 months to ensure that all road users are fully aware of the new regulations

Krayy
28th February 2005, 08:09
After reading through the LTSA pages on these "new" rules, it seems that they have either missed out (or revoked) the part that says that cage drivers can use bus lanes for up to 50 metres when turning from an adjoining street and merging into normal traffic. Wish they'd make that clear so the dickheads at the end of my road don't make a line 15 cars long all waiting for that very elusive gap in the traffic on Gt North Rd of a morning.