PDA

View Full Version : a tricky question

fillup
25th February 2005, 23:09
hi all, my first post :) :spudwave:

i was wondering what the laws views on the cc restriction on restricted licence is. if, say, i had a 400cc sitting outside, and have had my restricted for 9.5 months with no incidents, and full car for 4 years with no incidents (and done defensive driving course), would it be wise to use the 400? or let it sit 2.5 months, tempting me through the window?

fillup
25th February 2005, 23:32
the main problem being that i've sold my 250, and am really starting to get sick of cycling everywhere...not quite the same horsepower!

but yes, it is only 10 weeks...how long can bikes sit without oil jamming up stuff?

thehollowmen
25th February 2005, 23:37
Welcome to the mad house!

depending on your area you might be able to get an exemption... go in to the AA and ask for an application... costs $25 or so and is worth it if you get it.
Write a nice letter, post it here and get everybody to proof-read it for you.
I have an exemption so I can travel late to / from work.

some areas have really anal people in charge (eg Taranaki)

Edit: I thought that was 12.5 months, not 2.5... might not be worth it but I'm sure someone could take you out to a track day somewhere... I get mine in a few months too...

Lee Rusty
25th February 2005, 23:50
an exemption so dont waste your money
the exemption for work or school CAN NOT be refused - the police never used to charge but the AA do

I have been in the instruction/ testing field for 20 years and have never heard of a successful exemption to cc rating. you can still do a DDC course which cuts time down, It must be done while you are on restricted, so if you did it prior to that it does not count. On completion of course it will wipe out the rest of your 10 weeks, depends how long it takes you to do DDC as to wether or not you consider it worth it

fillup
25th February 2005, 23:59
does the defensive driving course i did while i had my car restricted not count? i remember it being a total waste of time, it would be painful to have to repeat it!

thehollowmen
26th February 2005, 00:56
does the defensive driving course i did while i had my car restricted not count? i remember it being a total waste of time, it would be painful to have to repeat it!

I think they expire after 2 years, (or six months for license purposes - I can't rmember)

I'll look on the LTSA site for ya

DEATH_INC.
26th February 2005, 06:14
Tough choice.
I'd ride and risk it if it was me,but remember in this day and age the coppers are out there to make as much cash as possible,so the chances of getting let off are super slim.Having said that the chances of getting stopped are pretty slim too,unless you do some thing stupid.
Your choice,wait another 10 weeks or maybe 6 months and 10 weeks.....

Dodgyiti
26th February 2005, 06:21
Been riding 20 years + and still only have my restricted, read into that what you will

thehollowmen
26th February 2005, 06:42
roadside suspension now

Can't find it on the LTSA website, so give them a ring or pop in and see if you can still use it.. you never know and might hit paydirt

Suney
26th February 2005, 07:39
Is this optom phillip?

fillup
26th February 2005, 08:05
small world

hi suney

Suney
26th February 2005, 08:21
hey dude
i ride to uni as well now
so where is the free bike parking at uni? someone told me its by caltex?

fillup
26th February 2005, 08:25
i used to just park up on the footpath opposite the caltex, close to the stairs. asked a couple of parking officers and they said its fine as long asa mobility scooter can get past, and there's heaps of space. when did you get your bike?

not sure if im going to be riding in on Monday..the general consenus is that i should wait...though theres a zxr on TM at the moment in Welly that looks pretty sweet.

Suney
26th February 2005, 08:32
hmm that's a really weird place to park, never seen anyone park there before
do you know if there are lockers for hire or anything so i can store my jacket and helmet
i got my zxr250 2 weeks ago
my schedule sucks this year 8am starts, 5pm finishes argh

fillup
26th February 2005, 08:50
there's lockers available in the basement, for free, on a first in basis. i just carried mine around with me, as most of the time i was sitting down anyway.

sometimes theres a few bikes there, there was a CBR250 last year and a couple of scooters.

sounds like a bummer timetable, ours is pretty sweet 1st sem, though weds are 9-7. lots of breaks though.

jrandom
26th February 2005, 09:10
Me, I'd ride the 400, but with caution to avoid attracting attention. It's an easy risk to calculate, and the same one we all take when we spend six months on a learner licence with no L-plate (you KNOW you all did it).

$400 and 25 points on your licence. You pays your money and you takes your chances...

fillup
26th February 2005, 09:12
i'd certainly *try* not to attract attention ;)

what would happen if you get stopped though? abandon the bike on the road side and walk home?

fillup
26th February 2005, 09:27
i made of the ltsa site, if you get caught a second time its licence suspension? maybe if i don't use it for everyday commuting, just take it for a quick blast after work ;)

FROSTY
26th February 2005, 09:29
yea Fillup--don't listen to Leerusty-what does he know? -He's only been teaching people to ride for 20 Years?
Go right ahead - Itll only put the points on ya licence and extend ya 250 time by 6 months.
For those too thick to understand me--Im being sarcastic. !!!!!
Dude I know how tempting it is but it just ain't worht the risk.
Do as lee said and take the course to shorten ya restricted time down
Just a suggestion from WAAY out left feild. Do ya have a mate with a full licence and still riding a two fiddy?
Maybee ya could swap bikes with him/her for the ten weeks so ya don't get tempted.
Yea Im on a friggin high horse but a very bitter high horse--I rode my bike 2 days from getting my licence back a few years ago. Got pinged at a random stop and had to do another 6 months with no licence.

fillup
26th February 2005, 09:37
good idea about the swap, i'll start checking around

FROSTY
26th February 2005, 09:48
good onya dude. :niceone: If its any help I'm missing out on racing the nationals by docrors orders--believe me I know how ya feel

fillup
26th February 2005, 10:23
i suppose here's a good place to start! anyone on their full with a 250 wanting to try a FZR for a couple of months?

spudchucka
26th February 2005, 19:04
i'd certainly *try* not to attract attention ;)

what would happen if you get stopped though? abandon the bike on the road side and walk home?
Depends on the cop. Some might refuse to allow you to ride away as doing so would be to allow you to continue breaching your licence conditions. Others might be prepared to turn a blind eye or suggest that if you wait 5 minutes and then drive home the cop would be none the wiser.

spudchucka
26th February 2005, 19:18
i made of the ltsa site, if you get caught a second time its licence suspension? maybe if i don't use it for everyday commuting, just take it for a quick blast after work ;)
Driver licence breaches are fined $400 each offence and have 25 demerit points. If you receive 4 licence breach tickets within 2 years you will have acquired sufficient demerit points to be suspended for 3 months.

Your licence is only suspended at the roadside for serious offences, 51+kph over posted speed limit, double legal breath / blood alcohol limit or refusing to supply a blood sample.

Police can also suspend a persons licence at the roadside when they are wanted for service of a suspension letter. This situation arises when the agent engaged by LTSA to serve suspension letters has been unable to locate the person. They are then listed as being "wanted for service of a suspension letter" and if they have contact with a police officer for any reason then the police can serve a notice of suspension.

fillup
26th February 2005, 21:58
thanks for that spudchucka!

i'm going to try to sit it out anyhow, back to uni on Monday so hopefully will be a bit of a distraction :)

Lee Rusty
27th February 2005, 10:06
only counts if done while you hold the class of licence you are trying to shorten - old ones dont count.

Syphon_Life
27th February 2005, 22:54

yeah it will count as long as its less than two years old :)
go book your full licence and take that in with you!

Lee Rusty
28th February 2005, 19:13
yeah it will count as long as its less than two years old :)
go book your full licence and take that in with you!

Read your road code - It only counts if you began the course no less than 6 months after recieving your restricted licence.

syphon life check your facts before you get people to waste their time.

sels1
28th February 2005, 20:33
welcome aboard the site fillup.
Dont get tempted. The swap idea sounds like a good option.

nodrog
28th February 2005, 20:57
nah dude it doesnt count, it has to be quite recent, i tried to use one from 12 years ago and they just laughed at me, if you have only got 10 weeks to go just wait, it is so bloody boring, and if you have already done one before you will know it doesnt have stuff all to do with bikes, whoever designs these things must think everbodies ambition is to drive a shit brown toyota corolla! i only did it because to demons were getting sick of pulling me over at "go straight to jail speeds" and finding out i only had a learners!

SlashWylde
28th February 2005, 21:45
Fillup,

There is a pilot programme being run by PassRite whereby riders over the age of 25 who have held a full car licence for over 2 years can do a one day theory and practical training course and if they pass the 45 min assesment ride at the end of the day will receive a letter of exemption from LTNZ enabling you to get a restricted or full licence in less than the six months one would normally. You take the letter along to a licencing agent with your regular application form and two forms of ID, they will then issue you a licence :2thumbsup

Another bonus: For all you 250cc+ riders you can get an exemption for the day of the course so that you can do the course on your bigger-than-legal bike

I just got my restricted through this scheme and I can say the course is very good. It is however pricy: $285 for the day.

I'll be doing the restricted to full course next on the 30th of April, another $285.

by comparison one of my mates just got his restricted today and he said the test was a joke. Less that a 7 minute run around the Mt Wellington/Panama Rd area.

Give Jarrah at PassRite a call and find out when the next course is, maybe you can get on one before the 2.5 months is up?