PDA

View Full Version : State of NZ?

toymachine
18th February 2009, 04:58
Right so, haven't been here in a while though some may remember me from various group rides..

Basically, I left NZ just over a year ago and headed to Ireland, but things have just gone so bad over here economically (i'm currently out of work) that i'm mulling returning home. Most everyone in their 20s over here is heading to Australia for job reasons.

I'm aware that things are pretty awful across the globe at the moment but i'm pretty out of touch with things in NZ, how are things fairing there at the moment? I'd be ideally looking to do general labouring type work till I found my feet again, quite happy with minimum wage sorta crap and am fairly attachment free so any of the major centres really is as good as another.

Just trying to get a feel for what the story is as it's not looking like it's worth sticking around up here, which kind of does away with the advantages of being here in the first place (travel is SO easy and cheap up here :o)

candor
18th February 2009, 09:52
A negative perspective from shocked immigrants (even refugees!) that have a trend for getting the hell out of here ASAP is to be found here;

http://www.expatexposed.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19
Navigation of this warning site at page bottom in window.

http://www.expatexposed.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=33&sid=216386669b05159abaf5c94aa811206d
A collection of news about ludicrous mismanagement of the ghetto in specific categories - the lively road crime section spares nothing.

Fub@r
18th February 2009, 18:45
Heya Toy long time no see..........

NZ is the same as everywhere else facing a downturn. Construction and development over here has hit the wall..........banks won't lend money so projects are going on hold.

As for Aussie the mining sector was the place to head to for jobs and money but I think they are even being hit by the world slow down.

Sorry to hear Ireland/UK hasn't worked out for you. Don't think any country is immune to all this...........but NZ roads are more fun to ride :P

As for those web links above what a load of crap. Yes real stories in the news area but no worse than any other country.........hopefully a National government can undo the Labour social engineering

Skyryder
18th February 2009, 20:51
Right so, haven't been here in a while though some may remember me from various group rides..

Basically, I left NZ just over a year ago and headed to Ireland, but things have just gone so bad over here economically (i'm currently out of work) that i'm mulling returning home. Most everyone in their 20s over here is heading to Australia for job reasons.

I'm aware that things are pretty awful across the globe at the moment but i'm pretty out of touch with things in NZ, how are things fairing there at the moment? I'd be ideally looking to do general labouring type work till I found my feet again, quite happy with minimum wage sorta crap and am fairly attachment free so any of the major centres really is as good as another.

Just trying to get a feel for what the story is as it's not looking like it's worth sticking around up here, which kind of does away with the advantages of being here in the first place (travel is SO easy and cheap up here :o)

Well just remember with this new Govt the Boss can toss ya out within 90 days after starting a new job and 70.000 workers are predicted to lose their jobs in the next eighteen months.

Skyryder

toymachine
18th February 2009, 20:57
Toss ya out no questions asked?

70,000 predicted? Ouch. As much as i miss the roads and Mrs Macs pies its definately food for thought. Suppose i'd nearly want work lined up before leaving..

MadDuck
18th February 2009, 21:01
Well just remember with this new Govt the Boss can toss ya out within 90 days after starting a new job and 70.000 workers are predicted to lose their jobs in the next eighteen months.

I didnt realise this had been passed by gummit. Thank God it has.

Worse is that the labour gummit has left us with NAP (No Asset Procedure). Yes folks you can stack up a debt if $40,000 and walk away. I had my first one a couple of weeks ago. I dont work for a finance company but have to do Credit Control with a ledger of 800 customers.

So lets say 10 of these people decide to take a NAP. Its not rocket science to see a lot of medium sized companies are going to fall over.

Fub@r
18th February 2009, 23:43

70,000 predicted? Ouch. As much as i miss the roads and Mrs Macs pies its definately food for thought. Suppose i'd nearly want work lined up before leaving..

Think they expecting 6% unemployment maybe go a bit higher..........saying 70,000 to scare you (ah but then the unemployment rate will be National's fault?). All countries looking at similar levels of unemployment.

Why is it people post stuff that makes it as those NZ will be the worst hit country in the world from the economic downturn?

Besides have a mate from the US over here at the moment............can find jobs all over the place but he's leaving. Reason: Immigration won't give him a work permit unless he gets sponsored. There are always jobs around if you are not picky

toymachine
19th February 2009, 07:39
Well it is all food for thought, and i'm not too picky but there is NOTHING where i currently am, and I'm not eligible for welfare so i'm really trying to get some decisions made.

Do sorta miss the place. You busy these days fubar?

Quasievil
19th February 2009, 07:46
Well it is all food for thought, and i'm not too picky but there is NOTHING where i currently am, and I'm not eligible for welfare so i'm really trying to get some decisions made.

Mate dont read to much into the negative crap above (a few sour labour loosers at work) , if you want to work and will do anything you will get a job in a week here, get on a plane and come home.

Fub@r
19th February 2009, 07:58

We expanded quite a bit last year but have to let the new guys go. Construction has dried up. Last October we were looking good then November it was like someone had pulled the handbrake

SPman
19th February 2009, 13:14

Mrs Macs pies?

They're from Perth, WA, mate!