PDA

View Full Version : Following the Coast-To-Coast Race, 2009

longwayfromhome
20th February 2009, 07:15
Having been away for 11 years, last weekend was the first long-ish ride I've done since being back. Lately I've done a fair bit around Auckland and north, but real distance, no. So, I went to support a competitor in the Coast-2-Coast, the 1 Day event. Route was:
. Friday: Auckland to Greymouth.
. Saturday: followed the race from Greymouth to Sumner Beach in Chch, then after dinner, to Cheviot.
. Sunday: Cheviot to Auckland.
Overall, it was a great ride, just on 2400km. NZ is very beautiful.

Some observations:
1. I may be imagining things, but roads are marked with curve signs and speeds much better south of Auckland than north. Most of the speed signs were correct - relative to each other - though obviously for nervous drivers. North of Auckland I have found the signs were often relatively incorrect and you have to be a lot more on your game (which is no bad thing).
2. In the NI I sat just under 110kph most of the time. This seemed to be OK with the NI cops...I passed 4 on the way down and several on the way back...they just looked at me as I went by. Cruise control makes living with strict speed limits much easier. SI, only saw one cop who was busy. My working policy on “getting on” is: Main roads – except for overtaking, ride at max allowable/acceptable without being stopped and don’t bother with the radar detector, overtake at every opportunity to keep average speed up; good backroads and/or curvey sections….- ride at appropriate speeds with radar detector. Main thing is I don’t want to waste/risk my points on busy main roads, which are often nice rides themselves, but usually not places to try and carve it up.
3. Auckland's North Shore to the InterIslander Terminal in Wellington via SH1 and SH1b is almost exactly 7 hours riding time. Both directions were almost identical timewise. Friday a weekday which was wet/damp/dry, Sunday was dry, traffic pretty light on both occasions. One fuel stop south, at Mangaweka.
4. Ferry proved to be pretty good, a good time for a sleep. Tie down was easy, though it would be a hell of a lot better if they had the front wheel clamps which are getting popular on trailers now. It would all be done in a couple of minutes, they could fit more bikes in, the bikes would be safer/more_secure...pity really.
5. Best bit about the ferry was the people I met...great bunch on the way down and again on the way back. I met a rider from Wanganui who works in Westport...he knew the way to the West Coast like the back of his hand, rides it every week or so, so we gave it a right caning on the way over. Roads were wet and the last hour was dark so that slowed things a little, but we certainly pushed on.
6. Kinda disappointed in the SI roads I experienced...was looking for/hoping for some of that coarse, grippy SI surface I remembered...it was there OK but patchy...some good, some bad....didn't get long stretches where you could build up a rhythm and get right into it....this was the road via St Arnaud, Murchison to Greymouth. Are the roads better further south? Damp corners were really slippery, the back came out on the Bridgestones (020’s) several times which is pretty unusual. I have used these for 200k now so know them well.
7. Apart from obvious roadworks, the corners were clear of gravel which was great, distinctly better than the Californian backroads I've been riding for the last year. I am looking forward to a dedicated ride of all the roads in the Nelson, Greymouth, Kaikoura triangle. If its dry it should be pretty good stuff.
8. Following the race is very easy and I would think an easy ride for anyone in the SI. It obviously helps if you know a competitor. The atmosphere was good, its pretty well organized and as long as you can handle the waits at each transition, enjoyable in a laid-back sort of way. I had the good fortune to be involved as well (help carry the kayak etc) which was an added fillup.
9. Accommodation: very happy with the two places I stayed: Revington's Hotel for $75 (Greymouth) and Cheviot Hotel & Motor Lodge for $50.

Oh, and the race results….the bloke I was supporting, Luke Chapman came in 3rd…pretty good. It would have been 2nd but he was directed off the course by a policeman in suburban Chch and by the time he realized this was wrong, the guy in 3rd had nicked by. He took it in good stead so that’s another win for him. It was quite a treat to see someone you have known from birth like a close nephew emerge from a pack of international and professional competitors and rock on up to the front. What a guy! Go 22.