PDA

View Full Version : 1st Time to Paeroa...general advice pls...

longwayfromhome
21st February 2009, 08:16
Can't seem to find much on the web...so I have a few questions for a first-timer like:
1. Best viewing locations;
2. How early do you have to get there to get a good spot at these locations;
3. Parking;
4. Suggestions on making a "good" day of it...if out/back to Auckland in the same day.

TIA.

Big Dave
21st February 2009, 08:22
Ride down and make it up as you go. It's all good.

Maha
21st February 2009, 08:25
Best viewing for me is at the RSA on the main straight, 3/4's of the way down the back straight on the pit side, end of the main straight by the Tavern.
Dont worry about getting a good spot, they open the track every three races or so, you can cross the track at the allocated points and go somewhere else.
Parking for bikes is easy and not a problem, huge area at the end of the back straight (you'll see all the bikes) if you're in a car? yeah dunno.
Spend some time in the pits, buy a T-Shirt, you'll have a blast.

Chooky
21st February 2009, 08:52
Yer....take earplugs, sunnies, and a hat.
It'll be stinkin hot, pubs all be open, plenty of parking for bikes.

Mom
21st February 2009, 08:58
Car parking is behind the main street (front straight) on the sports grounds. Road blocks and detours make it easy to find.

Dont forget sunblock and a drink of water either, it really does get hot during the day.

Have a wander through the pits too.

wbks
21st February 2009, 09:46
Everything the others said and this: Don't fuck around getting to places. If you wait for the race to end before moving you won't get far without taking a nice smell sample of everyone and sundry's BO, and you won't get a good spot. Don't join in climbing on roofs with the others, the cops just kick you out. Go through the pits and have a good look at all the bikes, and probably buy a few t-shirts and get them all signed like I'm going to. Just pick any place to watch that you can see more than one corner from. Personally, the spot I like best is at the end of the main straight on the inside of the corner they go around at the end. Besides from it being a good viewpoint, the non riders (ie the people that cheer more if someone crashes badly than a good pass and like the straight because "they go fast as down there aye man") usually stick elsewhere so you aren't fighting to keep a place on the fence haha

saltydog
21st February 2009, 10:28
The front straight, down near that 90degree right hander somewhere is the spot. A walk around the back and its "spot the bike", every type you can imagine and more.....worth the ride just to have so many bikers in one place. The pits, the smell of exotic fuel, dirty old hotdogs, shinaggians at the pub and you've got a bloody good day out.
This is the first time i've been in about 7 years....I'm usually down on the Auckland Islands trawling for SQU at this time.
Looking forward to it....:clap:

Murray
21st February 2009, 10:52
The pub on the corner near the entry will store your gear for you. They put them in big black rubbish bags and number them and give you a ticket with the number. Can't remember how much, either $2 or $4. so take some shorts and jandels and get changed. It will be warm and you don't want to carry bike gear around with you all day.

Squid69
21st February 2009, 11:09
Can't seem to find much on the web...so I have a few questions for a first-timer like:
1. Best viewing locations;
2. How early do you have to get there to get a good spot at these locations;
3. Parking;
4. Suggestions on making a "good" day of it...if out/back to Auckland in the same day.

TIA.

There is a pub on the outside of the hairpin.
it has an upstairs...
i will be there, come say hi.

ill probably be drunk too...

Ixion
21st February 2009, 12:34
Rugby club behind the ambo station do a 'store your gear' and parking . Wee bit of a walk but. There's several 'store y' gears', just find one and dump everything y can.

Walk around the pits (just take care not to get in the way!). I prefer the hilltop at the end of the main straight to watch from, but there are lots of good places depends what you like seeing. I usually wander around a fair bit, somehow or other always seem to end up at the pub. Must be some sort of gravitational anomaly, can't help it, laws of physics.

Loads and loads of food places you'll have no problem getting a feed. Parking, everywhere for bikes, dunno about cars, try Thames.