PDA

View Full Version : South or North?

Ozz
22nd February 2009, 04:37
Hi there, my girl friend and I are planning to come to the New Zealand between March 15th and March 25th. Since we will not have enough time to visit both islands which one can you suggest us? North or South? What we are looking for is a little bit swimming, a little bit camping, and enjoy the nature. Thanks!

JacksColdSweat
22nd February 2009, 06:38
Go South! Fly into Queenstown (if you can) and do a figure 8 loop

Down to Te Anau - and then do a day trip thru the Sounds (Milford or Doubtful - if you go to Doubtful you can also see Manapouri power station under the mountain)

Down to Invercargill and over to Stewart Island for a night or two (Ulva Island is a great day trip from here and at night you can go out looking for Kiwi - easiest place in NZ to see them)

Stop along the Caitlins coast (between Invercargill and Dunedin) - heaps to do and see here

Round thru Dunedin (go out to see the Albatross) and up to Wanaka for a stay by the lake

Head through the pass and up to the glaciers for a look before heading to Nelson. Swim and camp around nelson, marlborough and abel tasman

Around to Kaikoura - recommend ordering a crayfish from the caravan at Kaikoura - washed down with a Monteiths Pilsner at sunset on the beach is about as good as life gets

Hamner Springs from there for a soak in the hot pools

back thru to CHCH and then on to Queenstown - take a trip out to Glenorchy from there. If you've got time - ride thru Arthurs pass and back for the hell of it - just stunning

Heaps of backpackers everywhere if you're on a budget - or very nice B&Bs if you're not

You're from Canada? Order seafood everywhere you go (I hope you eat it) - South Island Seafood is the shizzle

There's your itinerary... you don't need to thank me for the best holiday you ever had...

;o)

Grizzo
22nd February 2009, 06:42
Yep go to the South Island. Far more scenic, and wicked roads!:sunny:

awayatc
22nd February 2009, 06:57
We got 2 islands... ?

Jantar
22nd February 2009, 07:44
Most of the South Island is getting a bit chilly for swimming when you arrive, but has the better roads and scenery. The Nelson beaches are probably still OK.

Generally the South Island is the better motorcycling Island, but the north does some great areas too. Particularly around Taranaki, Taupo and East Cape.

awayatc
22nd February 2009, 08:19
Bring more money when going North.....plenty more tax collectors

puddytat
22nd February 2009, 14:32
Definitely the South Island, if you go north you'll need more money as awayatc said, but also because people steal youre shit more often up there...

klingon
22nd February 2009, 15:28
Yep, definitely go South! But as Jantar said, it is likely to be too cold for swimming. Definitely visit the hot pools as recommended by Jack! hmmm.... excellent itinerary... I think I might do that myself...

Monamie
22nd February 2009, 15:37
Hey..I can't say about the South Island (going there soon to find out and then I can comment on it), but it sounds awesome. Either Island and you going to have the best time.

I have spent a great weekend in the North Island swimming in lakes and even skinny dipping on the Gentle Annie!! It's absolutly amazing to be riding along a fantastic NZ road in leathers in the stinking hot-spot a glacial pool (friggin cold but soooo nice:drool:)-stop the bike, doff ya tweeds and cool off with not a soul in sight (I hope:lol:).
Enjoy your trip:2thumbsup

SixPackBack
22nd February 2009, 15:41
North is where its at. Warm and interesting, most of the population live there and you get a good feel of NZ, its people and its culture. Some fantastic roads...<East coast, Coromandel, Whangamomona Rd, Waipua forrest [featuring Tane Mahuta], the Mangamuka's..........>

South is a cold hole full of rabid red necks. Being a Canadian they will ignore you completely and if your dark-burn you at the stake. Its not all bad as the population is below 100 and all related so you should have no problem fighting them off.

awayatc
22nd February 2009, 15:47
This wisdom from Somebody with a sexual identity crisis (sexy bitch for a male) who rides a dog (labrador) and lives at his Mum's place.......(Jackie) and thinks Toronto is in Australia.....

Swoop
22nd February 2009, 15:49
South is a cold hole full of rabid red necks. Being an Ozzie they will ignore you completely and if your dark-burn you at the stake.
When was Toronto incorporated into part of our Western Island???

SixPackBack
22nd February 2009, 16:07
This wisdom from Somebody with a sexual identity crisis (sexy bitch for a male) who rides a dog (labrador) and lives at his Mum's place.......(Jackie) and thinks Toronto is in Australia.....

Can you buggers read?

Swoop
22nd February 2009, 16:15
Being a Canadian...

Check the quote.

Can you buggers read?

Yes I can. Changing your post, after the fact???

awayatc
22nd February 2009, 16:53
could somebody put some chlorine into the genepool please?.......
Something about "buggers" may explain sixpacks origian maybe?....

FJRider
22nd February 2009, 16:56
We got 2 islands... ?

Wot he said...

JacksColdSweat
23rd February 2009, 06:43

Actually there is a Toronto in Australia....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto,_New_South_Wales

Grizzo
23rd February 2009, 06:47
North is where its at. Warm and interesting, most of the population live there and you get a good feel of NZ, its people and its culture. Some fantastic roads...<East coast, Coromandel, Whangamomona Rd, Waipua forrest [featuring Tane Mahuta], the Mangamuka's..........>

South is a cold hole full of rabid red necks. Being a Canadian they will ignore you completely and if your dark-burn you at the stake. Its not all bad as the population is below 100 and all related so you should have no problem fighting them off.
But you gotta watch what beaches you go to in the North....wouldnt want those native police comin after ya!:chase:

NighthawkNZ
23rd February 2009, 06:52
Go north we have enough bloody tourist down here...