PDA

View Full Version : Got an interview in Christchurch

lv929
22nd February 2009, 21:23
Hi

We are from the UK and I posted here once or twice a while back when I was planning a bike trip in NZ. The holiday didn't come off, but you were all very helpful and friendly.

SO I thought, why not ask for opinions again, now I may actually be MOVING to NZ :eek: Much to my surprise I have reached the final interview stage for a job I really want, and the company is flying me and my husband-to-be out from the UK in 4 weeks for the interview, and so we can find our feet if I get the job.

Please may I ask some basic questions:

If we live there how long (in terms of years?)can we use our UK driving licences for? Is there an easy transfer to the NZ licence? Would we need to do it?

Do you have any bhp restrictions on bikes like France and some parts of the USA?

Should we think about bringing our bikes with us (we have 4 between us), or buying over there. E.g. I have a tuned up gsxr1000 with full system, and don't want to be attracting unwelcome attention on the road from the :Police: ;-) if its not appropriate :lol:

Where is the nearest track to Christchurch? Can you point me in the direction of track day regulations? I used to race in the UK and would love to at least get on track sometimes.

And finally: if, just if, we should be so lucky, I might get back to you for advice on places to live round Christchurch: we have a reasonable sized house to sell in the UK and want a bit of garden/space as we'll be bringing our 3 dogs :2thumbsup

Thanks for your comments :niceone:

Slyer
22nd February 2009, 21:25
Hey good luck with the interview!
With the amount of stuff you have it sounds like you could use a whole container. :)

lv929
22nd February 2009, 21:28
Hey good luck with the interview!
With the amount of stuff you have it sounds like you could use a whole container. :)

erm yes that's what we thought actually :Oops: cos we were also wondering whether to bring the car over (where's the blush smiley when you need one)

The dogs won't go in the container though :lol:

Slyer
22nd February 2009, 21:32
:o - There you go.

And yes, them being living does make it a bit harder to ship them.
But I can direct you to an excellent taxidermist! :innocent:

3umph
22nd February 2009, 21:35
Good luck on the interview...

there are a lot of good places around the Christchurch area... proberley depends where your job is based... but then travelling to you around Christchurch would not be a problem...
I personally like the sea side of town...

as for bringing bikes and cars best would be see what it will cost to get it here and vined or cheaper to sell and buy the same here...

I think its 12 months before having to get a NZ licence but could be wrong on that

lv929
22nd February 2009, 21:36
Hmmm just read this (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=89108) about importing vehicles. Might need to have a re-think....

lv929
22nd February 2009, 21:38
Good luck on the interview...

there are a lot of good places around the Christchurch area... proberley depends where your job is based... but then travelling to you around Christchurch would not be a problem...
I personally like the sea side of town...

We currently both commute up to 120 miles per day to get to work. I'm imagining that if we end up in/near Christchurch, my life would be easier on that front....

Kickaha
22nd February 2009, 21:39
Where is the nearest track to Christchurch? Can you point me in the direction of track day regulations? I used to race in the UK and would love to at least get on track sometimes.
:

The track is about 20 minutes from Chch central, Tuesdays and Fridays its $50 for 1/2 a day, alternating 20-30 min sessions if there's any cars out there

3umph
22nd February 2009, 21:45
We currently both commute up to 120 miles per day to get to work. I'm imagining that if we end up in/near Christchurch, my life would be easier on that front....

ummm.... yeah a lot better...

When are you due to come over for the interview???

fireliv
22nd February 2009, 21:52
Hi

We are from the UK and I posted here once or twice a while back when I was planning a bike trip in NZ. The holiday didn't come off, but you were all very helpful and friendly.

SO I thought, why not ask for opinions again, now I may actually be MOVING to NZ :eek: Much to my surprise I have reached the final interview stage for a job I really want, and the company is flying me and my husband-to-be out from the UK in 4 weeks for the interview, and so we can find our feet if I get the job.

If we live there how long (in terms of years?)can we use our UK driving licences for? Is there an easy transfer to the NZ licence? Would we need to do it?

Do you have any bhp restrictions on bikes like France and some parts of the USA?

Should we think about bringing our bikes with us (we have 4 between us), or buying over there. E.g. I have a tuned up gsxr1000 with full system, and don't want to be attracting unwelcome attention on the road from the :Police: ;-) if its not appropriate :lol:

And finally: if, just if, we should be so lucky, I might get back to you for advice on places to live round Christchurch: we have a reasonable sized house to sell in the UK and want a bit of garden/space as we'll be bringing our 3 dogs :2thumbsup

Hey hope the job and possible move goes well!. Ruapuna is the local track. Like has been stated there are regular tues track days and there are also have a go days. Just google it you should find heaps, main restrictions, zip together leathers (sure thats no probs) and making sure your bike is taped up and wired up. But the info is out there.

Not sure on the licence thing but again check out LTSA (http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/) adn I'm sure it will say there somewhere!!

Might be seeing you sooner rather than later! Good luck

NighthawkNZ
22nd February 2009, 21:55
12months... you you must have a NZ licences, but I believe you just have to sit the final (what we call full)

not to my knowledge. Unless you are on a learners or restricted then you are not allowed anything greater than a 250cc

See above... the one thing that has just come into law is the exhaust noise level which is not allowed to be over 100db

Where is the nearest track to Christchurch? Can you point me in the direction of track day regulations? I used to race in the UK and would love to at least get on track sometimes.[/QUOTE]

There is a track within 20 minutes of ChCh and another about 2 hours south.

Canterbury plains.... very straight roads...

Jerry74
22nd February 2009, 21:55
You would be better off to get bikes here as your pound is worth $3 New zealand..

E.g 10,000 quid is $30,000 which is a lot of play money for new bikes.

lv929
22nd February 2009, 21:58
looks like we might not bring over some of the bikes, not worth the hassle/GST, especially for my rather loud gsxr :o The sterling/dollar exchange rate also seems to work quite well for us at the moment, making me think that buying in NZ is the best option..

We come over round about 24th March for about a week.

Straight roads? rather have some twisties please :lol:

3umph
22nd February 2009, 22:02
Straight roads? rather have some twisties please :lol:

we have them as well....

lv929
22nd February 2009, 22:05
we have them as well....

OK good :lol: we'll come then

if I get the job of course :o

NighthawkNZ
22nd February 2009, 22:19
we have them as well....

only just ;)

puddytat
22nd February 2009, 22:41
Theres awesome riding all around the peninsular,commonly known as the Akaroa GP,plus as Kickaha said, theres Ruapuna racetrack near Chch & Levels near Timaru....2 of N.Z's best tracks.:woohoo:
Its just an hour or 2's ride over to the West Coast on some of N.Z's primo bike roads & in fact its a great area in general apart from the odd boring straight bit in Canterbury....which in an hour or two brings you to Biker Nirvana....in any direction.:yes:

MaxB
23rd February 2009, 00:31
AFAIK the UK to NZ full licence change is the multiple choice scratch and win card from the local AA centre. You can buy examples of the questions from the website.

As for costs bike rego (your road tax) is $267 p.a. per bike. A W.O.F. (your MOT check) costs about $40 every 6 months. Insurance is not compulsory.

One thing you may notice is that most bikes here are bigger bikes unlike the UK. Have a look at the dealer websites. It does not cost much more to run a GSXR1000 than the 600. The exception is where the bike itself is interesting eg BMW F650, KTM 690, Daytona 675 etc. $20K would get you a blade or gixer 1000.

As for vehicles I would be tempted to buy here. Unless you car is powerful and European (and not a diesel). At a car yard in Auckland yesterday I saw a spotless Legacy B4 and a Ford Falcon for $10k cash. That is 250hp in a family car.

When you come down for the interview why not hire a couple of bikes and go on a tiki tour? Then you can find out what the fuss is about.

lv929
23rd February 2009, 02:22
AFAIK the UK to NZ full licence change is the multiple choice scratch and win card from the local AA centre. You can buy examples of the questions from the website.

As for costs bike rego (your road tax) is $267 p.a. per bike. A W.O.F. (your MOT check) costs about $40 every 6 months. Insurance is not compulsory.

One thing you may notice is that most bikes here are bigger bikes unlike the UK. Have a look at the dealer websites. It does not cost much more to run a GSXR1000 than the 600. The exception is where the bike itself is interesting eg BMW F650, KTM 690, Daytona 675 etc. $20K would get you a blade or gixer 1000.

As for vehicles I would be tempted to buy here. Unless you car is powerful and European (and not a diesel). At a car yard in Auckland yesterday I saw a spotless Legacy B4 and a Ford Falcon for $10k cash. That is 250hp in a family car.

When you come down for the interview why not hire a couple of bikes and go on a tiki tour? Then you can find out what the fuss is about.

thankyou for the helpful comments!! The car is a BMW 330d so I guess tis not worth bringing....anyway, I did some digging around and found my dream car costs quite a bit less than it would cost me in the UK....

not sure we'll have time to get a ride in, but there's a VFR shop in Christchurch that hires bikes out, I remember from my previous attempts to organsie a trip here, so maybe we should factor that in..

EDIT: Ps how does the non-compulsory insurance work?? It's a MAJOR crime in the UK not to be insured.....

Warr
23rd February 2009, 03:39
EDIT: Ps how does the non-compulsory insurance work?? It's a MAJOR crime in the UK not to be insured.....
The yearly "Registration" contains with an ACC levee that covers Personal injury insurance.
NOT property or vehicle insurance (3rd party).
Hence if you damage someones vehicle and have no insurance and are liable, you pay
... perhaps for some time if it was something expensive.
3rd party insurance is easy and affordable but sadly alot of people take the risk.
There is sometimes talk of this becoming compulsory.. bring it on is all I can say.

As for what to bring and what not, If your GSXR1000 is all tricked up, why not just bring the trick bits.
I'm pretty sure there is no GST payable on used bike parts.
This website is widely used in NZ and a good place to compare prices
http://www.trademe.co.nz
All the best for the interview & u'r travels :)

portokiwi
23rd February 2009, 06:53
http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/factsheets/56.html
This is what you need to know.
Questions and answers
What happens if I don't apply for a New Zealand driver licence?
If you do not apply for a New Zealand driver licence within one year of arriving, you'll be considered unlicensed and you must not drive. You could be charged by the Police if you are caught driving and you may not be able to get car insurance.

If you are unlicensed, are told by the Police not to drive and are then caught driving by the Police, the vehicle you are driving will be seized at the roadside and impounded for 28 days.

Do I have to sit any tests?
All drivers must know the road rules, what the road signs mean and how to drive safely. Learning the road rules is particularly important because of New Zealand's unique Give Way rule (when you are turning left, you must give way to vehicles that are coming from the opposite direction and turning right). You can find out more about this rule and others in The official New Zealand road code.

Some countries require similar driving skills and have similar licensing systems to New Zealand's. Depending on the country you have come from and the class of licence you are converting, you may not have to sit theory and/or practical tests. Other countries may have driver licensing systems that are very different from New Zealand's. People from these countries do have to sit both theory and practical tests.

Theory test?
You do not have to sit the theory test if:

you have a licence from Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom or the United States of America, and
your licence is current (or has expired less than 12 months), and
you are converting a car or a motorcycle licence.
You do have to sit a theory test if:

you have a licence from a country not listed above; or
you are converting a heavy vehicle licence from any country.
Practical test
You do not have to sit the practical test if:

you have a licence from Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom or the United States of America, and
your licence is current (or has expired less than 12 months), and
you have held that licence for more than two years.
You do have to sit the practical test if:

you have a licence from a country not listed above, or
you have a licence from a country which is listed above but you have held that licence for less than two years.

Its quite good My wife is from Portugal she changed to a New Zealand one paid I think $64.00 and that was it.
No tests at all.

BM-GS
23rd February 2009, 07:10
UK lics good for 12 months from first entry - if you came here before it'll be 12 months from then. People have ben pulled for this, unexpected & not nice. You need to do tests for car & bike, but only the multiple-guess theory, no practical. Any AA shop will do it. For a fee...

Chch has lots of flat & boring, but twisties out towards Akaroa. Not the safest, mind. Also stunning roads across the Southern Alps only 1hr away.

Bring the bikes. You have them, if they fit in the container they're effectively free to ship. You'll need to de-register them in the UK & re-register them here. Also ship each vehicle as a seperate consignment in the container or delay & aggro will be your daily companions. Your shiper should know this, but mine (Pickfords) didnt. Copy all vehicle docs in case of SNAFU and call the local agents a week before it arrives to confirm all is well and give yourself a week to un-fuck it all before delay & aggro appear. Bikes will need a WoF (MOT) and the first one will be a bit more detailed as VINs need recording, etc. Clean them well, as NZ Customs & MAF hot on dirt/seeds/bugs.

Vehicles free from GST on import if owned by you for 12 months or more before date of entry (not ship from UK date) when I shipped in 03. Dunno about now, best check (sorry, didn't follow yr link, in a rush).

portokiwi
23rd February 2009, 07:20
[QUOTE=BM-GS;1948596]UK lics good for 12 months from first entry - if you came here before it'll be 12 months from then. People have ben pulled for this, unexpected & not nice. You need to do tests for car & bike, but only the multiple-guess theory, no practical. Any AA shop will do it. For a fee...

That Changed Aug last year. Now you just pay get a temp licence till your new one arrives in the mail.
Yes this is done at AA.
You still keep your UK licence.

426crasher
26th February 2009, 18:58
I made the big move about 6 years ago and have never regreted it once. Nearly all roads in the south island are blessed with one great feature beautiful scenery each side. I brought my blade over with me. You will have to get a permanent export document from your local vehicle licensing office. Once here your bike will to be checked for compliance so it will have to have things like standard indicators etc. I had to put my standard pipe back on aswell. Once you have compliance you go to the AA and register it then go for a ride! There are plenty of nice areas to live around CHCH. No problem with giving us a yell when your here. The exchange rate is probably a bit more like 2.65 to the pommie pound which makes a big difference if you have 100k to exchange.

Cheers Tony.

triple-bee
27th February 2009, 14:15
Hello guys/girls

My names Neil and i,m Jans (lv929,s) other half thanks for all the helpfull info i,m kinda hoping she gets the job as it just seems like a really nice place to live :Punk:

if any one in christchurch wants to say hello and have a beer on me let me know

Cheers Neil

SDU
27th February 2009, 14:38
Hello guys/girls

My names Neil and i,m Jans (lv929,s) other half thanks for all the helpfull info i,m kinda hoping she gets the job as it just seems like a really nice place to live :Punk:

if any one in christchurch wants to say hello and have a beer on me let me know

Cheers Neil

Start a thread in meetings & events, to meet the locals with a night when you are free for drinks & pick a bar handy to where you are. You never know how many you'll get turn up.
It's a varied but good bunch here:soon:

There is a rat group here too! (other half is one)
http://www.streetandsport.co.nz/

cheshirecat
28th February 2009, 08:25
OK good :lol: we'll come then

if I get the job of course :o

12 months for a licence and then I had to take a 'theory' test which involved ticking a multichoice. A friend got mainly trailer questions for her's so be careful on what is swated up.

Good luck

triple-bee
1st March 2009, 05:07
Hello all,

Just a quick question i have just started looking for a job for myself, just in case the wife gets it and was wondering what kind of money i should be looking for i mean what is a good average wage in NZ. I,m involved in heavy plant machines dozers, excavators ect and most of my work is on the railways wich is very well paid in the UK.

I,m not going to be the main wage earner as my misses has a very good job (here and there if she gets it) when i,m not on the railways i drive a cab as we have 3 of our own that we rent out.

Any info greatly appreciated, beer still on me when we are there

cheers Neil

That rat group looks promising as will prob bring me speed trip

Bikernereid
2nd March 2009, 10:58
Hi

I have just moved here from the UK and I can tell you that you can use your UK license for up to 1 year but if you want to keep using it you have to leave the country before the year is up. I am driving on my UK license at the mo but as I am getting my bike licence here I will need to pay the $40 ish to convert my UK license to an NZ one.

As for Christchurch it looks like a nice city. I am moving there next week for work. If you want any advice or have any questions once I am there just feel free to pm me and I will try and help out or let you know what I have found out.

I know that there is a track near Christchurch and we will be hitting it asap. We have heard there are some amazing roads down there. As soon as we have explored the roads we will let you know where is good.

Good luck, Lily

triple-bee
2nd March 2009, 23:58
Thanx Lilly we will, where abouts in the UK where u and what made u make the decision to leave ??

Can nobody answer the salary question :rolleyes:

Slyer
3rd March 2009, 00:33
It will be LESS, considerably.
Just fyi.

triple-bee
3rd March 2009, 03:45
I realise that what i,m getting at is that i dont just want to take the first job offered what kind of money should i be holding out for :msn-wink:

IE i aint going to work for 10 an hour if the average for my job is 20

SDU
3rd March 2009, 11:38
Hey Lily make yourself known to us when you are here. we are not all scarey the rumours aren't true.<_<

Molly
4th March 2009, 03:29
And finally: if, just if, we should be so lucky, I might get back to you for advice on places to live round Christchurch: we have a reasonable sized house to sell in the UK and want a bit of garden/space

'Moving to NZ' threads come up all the time so it's worth searching around for advice. We've been here four years and have a good sense now of the up and down sides of leaving the UK for NZ.

Finding a place with space isn't difficult but my advice would be to rent for a year whilst you get a sense of things. We've moved twice. Started in Rangiora (a small town north of the city) which was nice enough but the drive to work became a pain in the arse. We then moved to the city but the area suffered from boy-racer cocks driving like wankers and leaving rubber all over the road (not to mention f'kin' tagging everywhere). Finally shifted up into the hills to an area with a slow turn-over of houses (most of my neighbours have been here 30+ years), and nice views to the coast.

One small tip: The pounds you used to take home will soon be dollars you're taking home and I can bloody assure you it won't be 2.8 times as many. However, though you'll actually be earning less, ON BALANCE it'll go further. Some prices are so much higher you'll be in shock (mostly food) but housing is cheaper, car insurance is cheaper, there are less 'stealth' taxes etc. etc.

I love living here. I love my job (teaching). The people I work with are just very friendly, dedicated, positive, and supportive. We have a nicer home than we'd ever have had in the UK and a better work / life balance. Finally, though it's not fair to generalise about a people, we've found the Kiwis to be a very friendly lot indeed (can't drive for toffee though.... ;-)

It won't suit everyone and if it's not for you at least you've had an adventure.

dangerous
4th March 2009, 05:07
though you'll actually be earning less, ON BALANCE it'll go further. Some prices are so much higher you'll be in shock (mostly food) but housing is cheaper, car insurance is cheaper, there are less 'stealth' taxes etc. etc.

I love living here. I love my job (teaching). The people I work with are just very friendly, dedicated, positive, and supportive. We have a nicer home than we'd ever have had in the UK and a better work / life balance. Finally, though it's not fair to generalise about a people, we've found the Kiwis to be a very friendly lot indeed (can't drive for toffee though.... ;-)

It won't suit everyone and if it's not for you at least you've had an adventure.

Ha, I sent her a p/m with your profile as a person to contact... now its funny what you say about getting used to NZ, most poms love it as its more a quality of life style change than anything, but I do know some that couldnt handle it and went back home, the thing with them is they expected to much mainely in the job side of things.

Mikkel
4th March 2009, 11:09

I assume that the UK is under the same agreement with NZ that Denmark is. If so you can use your overseas license for a year following your latest arrival into NZ. Any trip outside NZ and re-entry is going to reset this period - weekend in Sydney included.

This is good since you can not accumulate demerit points on an overseas license I believe ;)

However, some insurance companies will either not insure you or charge a higher premium if you haven't got an NZ license.

Getting an NZ license has become even easier than it used to. You now just have to show up at the AA and pay ~$70 to get a transfer - no test... at least if you are from Denmark (and we drive on the right mind).

In NZ the police is only concerned with speed - because speed kills :tugger:

Given the current, for you very favourable, exchange rate I'd say sell any bike that does not hold sentimental value to you and then buy a newer model of the same when you get here :yes:

NZ has a very diverse choice of roads, not all sealed, which may tempt you to buy a non-faired bike with decent suspension travel.

It's lovely on the hills - however getting a big section there for your dogs is going to be rather tricky (and expensive). Plenty of lovely rural areas surrounding the city - still with ridiculously short commuting times compared to anything in Europe - where you could find your own little slice of heaven.

It doesn't really. And it should be here too...

Best of luck with the interview. I saw your occupation in your profile, may I ask what the job is? My partner and I came here from Denmark just over 2 years ago - and we really don't want to go back!

Bikernereid
4th March 2009, 11:20
thankyou for the helpful comments!! The car is a BMW 330d so I guess tis not worth bringing....anyway, I did some digging around and found my dream car costs quite a bit less than it would cost me in the UK....

not sure we'll have time to get a ride in, but there's a VFR shop in Christchurch that hires bikes out, I remember from my previous attempts to organsie a trip here, so maybe we should factor that in..

I have just moved here and I must admit that the non-comulpsory insurance issue really is a little unnerving. The one good things about it is that it has made me more aware of my driving as I do not want to have to pay out for someone elses car. I will be getting insurance for my bike for sure though. I think it is an individual preference whether you insure or not and you have to go with what you feel confortable with.

madbikeboy
4th March 2009, 19:55
The money here isn't as good as the UK for professional services or IT, but you'll find that your dollar goes further here. NZ is a great place to live, I've lived in the UK (Scotland), and while it's a pretty place, this is a better place to live in my opinion.

Cars and bikes are cheaper. Housing (especially in CHCH) is cheaper. Plus, this is the adventure capital of the world...

Oh, the cops aren't tolerant of speeding - in the UK, 80mph is fine if you're behaving yourself - in NZ, that gets you a big ticket. But, less cops, less gatso's, and no big brother (CCTV is relatively unused here).

Bring the GSXR.

426crasher
4th March 2009, 21:21
Hello all,

.... was wondering what kind of money i should be looking for i mean what is a good average wage in NZ. I,m involved in heavy plant machines dozers, excavators ect and most of my work is on the railways wich is very well paid in the UK.

Don't really know what you will be paid in this area of work. Theres more rail track in a shunters sidings in the UK than the entire south island. You might have to look out side the box so to speak. I earn half what i earnt in the UK but have twice the life so it's really down to what you want. I have not been back to the UK in the 6 years we have been here and have no intention to do so. My wife has been back twice and hates the place and it was her that was unsure about our move.This is now my home. But i have met plenty of pommies who don't like it here and are going back and to be truthful they are usually whinging pomms who expected to much and came here with insuficient funds and didn't do any homework on the place. We were told the official statistics for pomms moving here were - out of every 100 that get visas only 50 get on the plane out of that 50 only 25 make it past 12 months and out of the remaining 25 only 15 are still here after 5 years. It's not easy getting the "wage" issue out of your brain but i worked 6 days a week for 22 years and thought that there was more to life than money and i found it here. I have heaps more spare time here and do 4 times the mileage i managed in pomgolia. If the money thing is a big issue for you then it increases your chances of not sticking it out. I was told to look after the wife when we moved here as it's the women that wobble and it's pretty much good advice. Kiwi's are great people and it's a GREAT place to live.

Cheers Tony

triple-bee
4th March 2009, 23:46
Thanks Tony that,s what i was after, i have no problem with less money and will do any job i,m just as happy driving a cab as earning the big money on the railways. We are very fortunate as we should be mortgage free so my wage will just be for a few extras as i,m gonna put my feet up and steal money from the wife when she aint looking

Mikel we can,t say what the job is just yet as it,s a quite a senior position and we wouldnt want her new bosses reading all about it on the tinterweb, will happily tell all when we know whats going on

We have a date of the 19th and would be interested in meeting up with any one so we can pick your brains on housing, medical, cars, ect

usuall rules apply, Free beer for the duration

Cheers really helpfull

Neil

Molly
5th March 2009, 17:16
Don't really know what you will be paid in this area of work. Theres more rail track in a shunters sidings in the UK than the entire south island. You might have to look out side the box so to speak. I earn half what i earnt in the UK but have twice the life so it's really down to what you want. I have not been back to the UK in the 6 years we have been here and have no intention to do so. My wife has been back twice and hates the place and it was her that was unsure about our move.This is now my home. But i have met plenty of pommies who don't like it here and are going back and to be truthful they are usually whinging pomms who expected to much and came here with insuficient funds and didn't do any homework on the place. We were told the official statistics for pomms moving here were - out of every 100 that get visas only 50 get on the plane out of that 50 only 25 make it past 12 months and out of the remaining 25 only 15 are still here after 5 years. It's not easy getting the "wage" issue out of your brain but i worked 6 days a week for 22 years and thought that there was more to life than money and i found it here. I have heaps more spare time here and do 4 times the mileage i managed in pomgolia. If the money thing is a big issue for you then it increases your chances of not sticking it out. I was told to look after the wife when we moved here as it's the women that wobble and it's pretty much good advice. Kiwi's are great people and it's a GREAT place to live.

Cheers Tony

Well put Tony.

By the way, are you the Tuono rider who never waves back at me on the ChCh / Akaroa road??? I'm the portly chap on either a puke green Guzzi or a twin headlight Harley.

:-)

laRIKin
5th March 2009, 17:40
We were told the official statistics for pomms moving here were - out of every 100 that get visas only 50 get on the plane out of that 50 only 25 make it past 12 months and out of the remaining 25 only 15 are still here after 5 years.

I would just like to add that an old Pommy guy I know that has been here for over thirty years once told me that some have to go back to England to wake up to the point that it is not perfect here, but is still better in the long run.

I know of two couples that went back home with their kids and now, low and behold they are back here in NZ.
And this is what prompted his above comment.
He reckoned he could pick the ones that would stay or go home and the ones that would come back.

Wagers are the big sticking point.
And the price of some things.
Trust me, it has got better with the Internet.

Molly
5th March 2009, 19:25
some have to go back to England to wake up to the point that it is not perfect here, but is still better in the long run.

After three years we thought the adventure might be over. A holiday back and catching up with mates, a decent summer (ish) and an Isle of Man TT had us packing and heading back. It took two miserable f'kin' months to realise what a mistake it'd been. We were happily back in NZ within the year. Sometimes you do have to go back though so it was worth it really.

lv929
5th March 2009, 20:42
In my job, there would be no "going back" as I would have to quit and lose a very good job indeed.

Erm, if I get it!!!!!! :blink:

These are all really helpful comments, thankyou!!!!!!!!!!!

Shadows
5th March 2009, 23:50
Hello all,

Just a quick question i have just started looking for a job for myself, just in case the wife gets it and was wondering what kind of money i should be looking for i mean what is a good average wage in NZ. I,m involved in heavy plant machines dozers, excavators ect and most of my work is on the railways wich is very well paid in the UK.

I,m not going to be the main wage earner as my misses has a very good job (here and there if she gets it) when i,m not on the railways i drive a cab as we have 3 of our own that we rent out.

Any info greatly appreciated, beer still on me when we are there

cheers Neil

That rat group looks promising as will prob bring me speed trip

About $60k for an average qualified Joe Blow digger driver type to start. You'd probably get a bit more. Hours are long though.

triple-bee
6th March 2009, 01:23
Cheers fella :2thumbsup

How would that compare with the average wage, could we live on it if the wife wasn,t working ??

Jantar
6th March 2009, 01:34
The average wage/salary over here is around $50k. So $60k is adequate to live on, and provide a little extra, providing you aren't paying a mortgage. If you have a mortgage and want to really enjoy life you need around $100k between you.

triple-bee
6th March 2009, 04:19
Thank u i am done with the salary questions i have every thing i need to know, just cant wait to get over there two weeks today we fly over :Punk:

dangerous
6th March 2009, 05:28
Thank u i am done with the salary questions i have every thing i need to know, just cant wait to get over there two weeks today we fly over :Punk:

were ya landing over here?

triple-bee
6th March 2009, 07:12
Christchurch as far as i know the wifes sorted it out, gonna hire a car for the week as i will also be job hunting and i think if she gets offered the job we may extend a week to look at housing, areas to live ect

We will be staying at a hotel in Christchurch can any one recomend a decent rock bar we are a pair of ageing hippys :headbang: If any body fancies a night out let me know my pommie pound goes a long way so pints of champagne all round :beer:

Once again thanks for the info

Neil n Jan :2thumbsup

426crasher
6th March 2009, 11:04
By the way, are you the Tuono rider who never waves back at me on the ChCh / Akaroa road??? I'm the portly chap on either a puke green Guzzi or a twin headlight Harley.

:-)

Hi there Molly
Nope thats not me i usually give a wave although i'm just getting over a badly broken shoulder and did have a couple of weeks keeping boths hands on the bars. Was i with a guy on a Buell?

Cheers Tony.

Molly
6th March 2009, 17:28
No Tony. This bloke's on his billy.

Re. the salary questions here. Don't use the exchange rate to calculate and compare pay between NZ and the UK. It's too simplistic and way, way wrong.

I used to take home just over 500 quid in the UK. Well, I do the same job here and don't take home $1,400 per week here I can assure you. Not even close. Even so, we live better here than we ever did in the UK. Bring your pounds, set yourself up well in a nice home. Buy all the toys. Then live a nice life on a more modest salary.

By the way, Kiwis, in Christchurch at least, don't seem to give a rat's arse what you wear, drive, or how big your house is. It's one of the nicest things about them. None of that 'keeping up with the Jones' bollocks you might encounter in the UK.

426crasher
6th March 2009, 19:21
We will be staying at a hotel in Christchurch can any one recomend a decent rock bar we are a pair of ageing hippys

The blues bar has some good nights. Worth checking the Press when your over.

MaxCannon
6th March 2009, 21:45
Average wage is around $35K

http://www.stats.govt.nz/products-and-services/info-releases/nzis-info-releases.htm

You might have already seen this

http://www.emigratenz.org/Work.html

Shadows
6th March 2009, 22:06
Average wage is around $35K

No we just tell the JAFAs that to keep them away

triple-bee
7th March 2009, 02:37
Many many thanks for all your replies but i,m absolutley gutted to say that it,s not happening :(

Jan has been offered an incredible job in the UK and she accepted it this morning, I know we will be missing out on a hell of a life style in NZ but she has to follow her career path and at he moment that is in the UK

quite depressed at the mo, but also happy it was a job that she really wanted

once again thanks Neil and Jan :niceone:

Molly
7th March 2009, 16:44
That's OK. She can treat you to a holiday down here.

cheshirecat
8th March 2009, 19:34
Just to mention I had to sit a theory test even with a valid UK licence. A friend with a US license got a scratchy full of trailer questions as well as having to sit a practical. If you are from the UK the theory is full of strange things with 'gaps' - just study and apply the official Code without thinking too hard!!

SDU
9th March 2009, 14:49
That's OK. She can treat you to a holiday down here.

Ditto that! Make it a nice long biking holiday in feb/march to catch the better weather & lots off rallies. Hope it works out for you

triple-bee
10th March 2009, 00:43
Well what can i say, its back on !!!!!!!

After telling about the job offer in the UK the NZ job rang her and to cut a long story short we are coming over a week on thursday for a 2nd interview and i cannot wait

really interested in a meet especially with any ex pats

Once again many thanks Neil n Jan :sunny:

Jaxi
10th March 2009, 10:03
So, it's back on....

We're Kiwi's in London and have happily advised several of our English friends who were keen to emigrate to NZ and now the buggers have, and were still here!! so feel free to get in touch if you'd like our perspective on things.... We are keen to move back to NZ ourselves asap, just have a few issues to sort out first!!

Cheers
Jac

Mikkel
10th March 2009, 15:39
How would that compare with the average wage, could we live on it if the wife wasn,t working ??

If you don't have kids living at home you would be able to live of it yes. Not having a mortgage would make things even better again...

We will be staying at a hotel in Christchurch can any one recomend a decent rock bar we are a pair of ageing hippys :headbang: If any body fancies a night out let me know my pommie pound goes a long way so pints of champagne all round :beer:

Yep - Al's Bar (http://www.zoomin.co.nz/map/nz/christchurch/christchurch+central/dundas+street/31/-als+bar/), 31 Dundas Street would be my pick. They make a very decent Long Island Icetea for only $10 - you can't really complain about that...

After telling about the job offer in the UK the NZ job rang her and to cut a long story short we are coming over a week on thursday for a 2nd interview and i cannot wait

Good to hear. If you manage to drag her down here and spend a couple of weeks poking around and she gets the job I'd be prepared to put money on her never thinking twice about the British Connection.

lv929
10th March 2009, 21:29
It's been a dreadfully difficult few days, decision-wise, but I'm thrilled the opportunity to visit and have the interview is back on.

We seriously would like to meet up with any of you, as well as meeting the people my potential future employers are going to introduce me to. Should we post this invitation in a different section?

McJim
10th March 2009, 21:55
I don't have time to read the whole thread but it didn't look like your question "How long can I drive on a UK licence" was getting answered on the first page anyway.

You can use your UK licence for a year and then convert for not a lot of money and a written test only.

the tests over here at first appear to be the same as the UK (duration, manoeuvres etc) however they are nowhere near as stringent with the applicaton of the rules as British examiners.

triple-bee
11th March 2009, 06:29
Jac, if u PM me a phone no and the best time to ring i will be in touch, cheers Neil

426crasher
11th March 2009, 08:03

really interested in a meet especially with any ex pats

Once again many thanks Neil n Jan :sunny:

Sounds good, i recon i could have my arm twisted to have a night out. Will PM you my details.

Cheers Tony

SDU
11th March 2009, 11:38
It's been a dreadfully difficult few days, decision-wise, but I'm thrilled the opportunity to visit and have the interview is back on.

We seriously would like to meet up with any of you, as well as meeting the people my potential future employers are going to introduce me to. Should we post this invitation in a different section?

Put a post up with date & time in the meetings & events forum under Canterbury, we can always sort a place local to where you are staying if we know the area. Als bar is in town, otherwise check out a Speight Ale house to see if near where you are staying. http://www.speights-alehouse.co.nz/
& there is one at tower junction they are popular meeting spots
http://yellow.co.nz/companies/Restaurants/Speights-Ale-House-(Chch)-Ltd-Tower-Junction/101413379_1403.html

triple-bee
15th March 2009, 04:53
Sat 21st (next w end) would love to meet up have a pint i realise it,s short notice so wont be offended if nobody turns up I will still get pissed :2thumbsup

we are staying here

http://www.chateau-park.co.nz/

any suggestions on where to meet, pref a decent rock bar

Cheers Neil n Jan

SDU
17th March 2009, 20:52

Sat 21st (next w end) would love to meet up have a pint i realise it,s short notice so wont be offended if nobody turns up I will still get pissed :2thumbsup

we are staying here

http://www.chateau-park.co.nz/

any suggestions on where to meet, pref a decent rock bar

Cheers Neil n Jan

Hi guys start a new thread here
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3
under canterbury.
Keep in mind that there are a couple of things on this sat & there is a rally an hour out off town this weekend.
You are staying close to town pubs & round corner from here-check map (you're staying on deans ave) Speights don't have bands. Someone will have a suggestion my locals are out off town after a :scooter:
http://yellow.co.nz/companies/Restau...3379_1403.html

jim.cox
18th March 2009, 12:40
If its music you are after I suggest you try

The Bog

Southern Blues Bar

Dux DeLuxe

or Als Bar

All of which have live music most nights

But are on the other side of the Park from the Chateau

Mikkel
18th March 2009, 16:02

You guys sure have got a move on. How long are you staying around for and when do you arrive?

Unfortunately I'll be out of town for the weekend...

lv929
19th March 2009, 00:13
We leave on 28th, not a very long visit sadly.

We fly out tomorrow morning :rockon:. Interviews next week, and some opportunities for Triple-bee too, maybe :niceone:

Maddmaxs
19th March 2009, 01:26
I'm a newbie to the forum but we've gone thru the long process of getting our Permanent Residency before we arrive. A fantastic forum is the 'ENZ forum' which is linked to the Immigration service. Everyone on there has been fabulously helpful. Good luck with the interview..... we will be out as soon as our flat sells............................ roll on the 'sold' date!
Maddmaxs (Aberdeen, Scotland).

triple-bee
19th March 2009, 06:34
Am getting quite exited fly out in the morning :clap:

Wont have any internet untill we get there on Sat, what are the events that are on i dont mind travelling a bit we have a car for the week failing that it,s the nearest bar to the hotel :2thumbsup

Hope to see some of u during the week i will be taking my UK moby

07979 860644

or just let me know on here we are not there for long so i would like to see as much as poss especially housing ect

cheers Neil

SDU
20th March 2009, 15:02
Sorry in we have a bit on this weekend & probably won't make it Sat nite.
Will try to meet up sometime during week. will PM one off you two.

triple-bee
27th March 2009, 07:43
It,s our last day here today and i would just like to say a big thank you to everybody that answered my questions and being totally honest, especially Tony (426 crasher) and his misses who really went out of there way for us, thanks mate

I,m sat in the hotel and Jan is on her final interview after a 4 day process so we will know by this afternoon, if she gets it we are definatly coming we will be leaving a really good lifestyle behind in the UK but i can tell u that this place is better, i would be very happy to live here

Will let u know if ur interested but whatever happens thanks for having us

Neil n Jan xx:niceone:

triple-bee
27th March 2009, 15:17
She got it :done::Punk::Punk::Punk::apint::apint::apint::clap ::clap:

Mikkel
27th March 2009, 19:06
Congratulations. Have a good bottle of wine and good luck with the Immigration NZ process. (You'll need both.) Hopefully for your wife the UK is on the OK list and she won't have to deal with NZQA (New Zealand Qualifications Authority) which will make things quite a bit less painful.

SDU
30th March 2009, 10:57
Congrats:drinkup:

Hope you aren't too stressed out by the move

When does the moveover roughly happen?

triple-bee
30th March 2009, 16:46
her start date 27th of july for the job, we are gonna rent a house for 3 months so we can have a really good look round for our own house we think we know what we want

Shadows
30th March 2009, 18:24
her start date 27th of july for the job, we are gonna rent a house for 3 months so we can have a really good look round for our own house we think we know what we want

Good luck finding a short term rental. We had a shit of a time. None of the property managers around here are the slightest bit helpful - and don't even think about trying to get hold of any of them on a weekend.

I did eventually succeed in making an appointment to meet one who was going to show me a few options. I flew down, called her on landing, as arranged, but the maggot wouldn't answer her phone. She knew I was flying down specifically to see her too. Nobody in the office either, so it was a complete waste of airfares and car rental, not to mention my time.

I decided that I will never deal with those wankers again so we stayed in hotels for a few months while we did the sell/buy thing. It cost a bit more but at least the hoteliers were deserving of my money. If you go that way I know of a nice private chalet type deal with pretty good rates and a top bloke as a manager.

triple-bee
31st March 2009, 01:11
Cheers, i was thinking of the hotel route but our only problem is that we have 3 dogs and wanted to bring them over sooner rather than later. If i have to i can leave them here for a few months but they are like our babies (sad i know) and i can,t see the wife going for it

Any landlords round the christchurch area on here ?????

3 to 6 month lease willing to accept dogs dont mind paying a bit more for the hassle feel free to mail me

cheers Neil n Jan

JimO
31st March 2009, 06:51
doubt you will find a landlord prepared to accept dogs especially 3 of them

mdnzz
31st March 2009, 07:01
Cheers, i was thinking of the hotel route but our only problem is that we have 3 dogs and wanted to bring them over sooner rather than later. If i have to i can leave them here for a few months but they are like our babies (sad i know) and i can,t see the wife going for it

Any landlords round the christchurch area on here ?????

3 to 6 month lease willing to accept dogs dont mind paying a bit more for the hassle feel free to mail me

cheers Neil n Jan

Your best bet would be to find a boarding kennel for the dogs while you locate a house for yourself.
We have just one dog and finding a landlord that accepts them is very tough these days.

SDU
31st March 2009, 15:22
So you are coming over for winter- poor thing.
Nb our houses (unless you can afford newish) are not as well insulated as they are your way. Bring warm gear- stock up now.

Organise for your babes to stay at this kennel until you find a rental/house if they don't need to be quarantined.

http://topnotch.net.nz/home/

they are near Lincoln but only 15/20mins from town, I use them for our three dogs. They are well looked after there & have a ball. The new area is finished now & the rooms are great size. I am a bit bias as I have worked from time to time there to help out Gaye & Rodney. Gaye vet nursed for years & is great animal handler. Wonderful,ethical caring people & bikers too--when they can find the time.

Good luck for rentals you might have to slum it to get a place for dogs. If I hear off anything will let you know

triple-bee
31st March 2009, 22:59
cheers flower any help recieved gratefully, sorry we didnt catch up, did u get my PM ?

mujambee
1st April 2009, 06:40
Just to congrat you on this, I hope we are so lucky . . .

SDU
1st April 2009, 11:57
cheers flower any help recieved gratefully, sorry we didnt catch up, did u get my PM ?

No worries, shame as it was a good night but it looks like you two are going to get plenty of time here to catch up.
I only got the one pm was there another?

426crasher
4th April 2009, 18:57

cheers Neil n Jan

Hi there Neil n Jan
Could be a bit of a problem. I have done quite a bit of work for a rental management company so i will have a word with them a bit nearer the date. They have over 200 houses on thier books. I wouldn't have a problem renting you mine round the corner from my place but the tenant looks like she's going to die in that place before she moves out. Hows things over in pomgolia. Went for a ride over to fox on the west coast the other day. The weather was brill and the scenery better.

Cheers Tony.

triple-bee
4th April 2009, 20:19
well if she does die we could move in as long as she dont decay to much and stink up the place, i think we are gonna have to leave them behind for a month or 2 and buy straight away, or maybee i will come over a month before and start searching for a rental. Either way we are gonna get there so it,s all good if your mate can come up with something that would be brilliant we will take any thing that is travelling disance from the uni and has the room for the dogs

cheers tony

Neil n Jan

Torgo
10th August 2009, 12:33
Good luck finding a place to rent. Your best bet might be looking for properties online and speaking directly with the landlord, rather than through a rental agency.

triple-bee
11th August 2009, 05:34
Cheers fella, there does seem to be quite a few dog freindly ones, the good news is that we sold a house so will be in a position to buy pretty quick gonna try and get a 3 month rental we arrive in just over 2 weeks and the dogs are gonna be a week behind us

it,s getting close cant wait to get over there and buy another bike :2thumbsup

Shadows
11th August 2009, 11:55
Heaps of Brits live in Rangiora for some reason.

triple-bee
11th August 2009, 19:12
I know that,s why we are looking at Selwyn :sunny:

SDU
12th August 2009, 12:55
I know that,s why we are looking at Selwyn :sunny:

Just to be different eh!

If you haven't found a dog friendly place straight off
Top Notch Kennels are fab, & will look after your babies while you sort something

triple-bee
12th August 2009, 23:10
There staying at a place called "the bunny lodge"

I picked it because it,s obviosly where all the ded hard dogs stay :niceone: