PDA

View Full Version : North Is. Tour

Racey Rider
28th September 2003, 10:40
I've been thinking about organising, (read: Helping to organise), a round the North Is. tour for us KB?ers for later in the summer. I was thinking a four day ride with overnight?s In New Plymouth, Wellington, Rotorua, Auckland. This is how it might work:
KB'ers in Auckland might start it off with a ride to New Plymouth, were I would organise a overnight stay as a group. The next day Auck riders would be joined by Taranaki riders for the trip down to Wellington. Someone in Wellington would organise a overnight stay there. The group would then be joined by Wellington riders and head for Rotorua, Gisborne or Whakatane for a night. Wherever someone would organise a stay.
Then on too Auckland. where we would stay as a group. Then the Auckland riders would stop, and the rest of the group would ride to New Plymouth for another overnight stay. and so on till all riders got back to their start destinations. This plan would require a lot of help, and two group stays, in NP and Wellington.
I'm thinking a cost of $10/night?, get your own fish 'n' chips? Maybe a fundraiser?
Anyone interested?
Anyone interested in Helping?
What other issues do I need to think about?
Racey.:rockon:

georgedubyabush
28th September 2003, 10:51
Interested.

Antallica
28th September 2003, 11:23
Interested, I'll have to get my mates FZR250 for that though.

Firefight
28th September 2003, 15:19
assuming that when in Wellington, a bit of a blat over the rimitakas was all part of the deal,:D I"d be keen.

firefight:rockon:

bikerboy
28th September 2003, 16:45
Sounds fun but so far no volunteers ?:o

georgedubyabush
28th September 2003, 19:58
I'd volunteer, but I'm a little out of the way

MikeL
28th September 2003, 20:09
Count me in. Any time in January would suit.

Dave
29th September 2003, 10:05
Sorry, My bike only does 300km to a piston, so I'm out.

aff-man
29th September 2003, 11:19
I'm keen depending on timing

SPman
29th September 2003, 18:06
Originally posted by Dave
Sorry, My bike only does 300km to a piston, so I'm out.

I'm sure everyone would be more than happy to wait on the roadside while you did a quick rebuild. (or 2...or 3....) :D

Marmoot
29th September 2003, 18:44
Call me if you need any routes.

Being someone who avoids highways 90% of the time, I know lots of backroads around Auckland, Waikato, Rotorua, Taupo and Turangi

Andrew
29th September 2003, 20:44
I'm pretty interested. I used to live in Gisborne and have a few mates down there which could be willing to put us up, depending on the number crashing there.

Coldkiwi
30th September 2003, 17:55
hehe, hopefully no crashing would be involved in the tour!

sounds like a damn good idea Racey! Are you thinking we'd stay at various peoples houses or get some cheapish motel accommodation? Motels could be easier so to lighten the load of sleeping bags etc. I'd think camping is out unless we have a sap-I mean volunteer- to carry all our crap with us in a van!

Racey Rider
30th September 2003, 19:33
Thanks for the reposes so far. I'll keep that in mind Andrew.
I was thinking about cheap accomodation. At my end in the form of a hall or large room with mattresses supplied, but bring your own sleeping bag. All bunk down together type thing. Obviously I need people in the other stop-over centres to organize the same, or it's a non-starter. But then, we could go the Motel way if people prefer. That would make it easyer for me, (on my own), to organize.
Maybe if we paid their petrol money, someone might like to do the "follow behind, carrying the gear & pick up broken down bikes in their van" thing? But at the moment, the response probably doesn't warrant it.
I'm thinking maybe, 3rd week of January sometime??
Other ideas are most welcome.
Alternatively, I could just organize a "Ride Taranaki" weekend, where whoever, could come to NP for a night or two, and I'ld put them up, & show them around the good "naki" roads.
:sunny:

Nouseforaname
30th September 2003, 20:00
I know im a selfish bugger but any time after Dec 23rd would be super.........licence comes back then:D

Andrew
30th September 2003, 21:59
How about try for backpacker type accomodation, its super cheap - $10 or $15 per night. I don't have any complaints about getting a sleeping bag and clothes on the back of my 250.

If I'm unfortuante enough to have a breakdown then I'll let that become AA's problem. Which reminds me that I should get my complimentary maps from the AA.

georgedubyabush
1st October 2003, 10:52
Originally posted by Andrew
How about try for backpacker type accomodation, its super cheap - $10 or $15 per night. I don't have any complaints about getting a sleeping bag and clothes on the back of my 250. 

No worries about bike security???

Marmoot
1st October 2003, 11:50
Have a chat with Greg in Boyd Honda (Hamilton) if you're around there. They are experienced in this things as they do annual 2-week South Island tour for $750-ish per person.

Andrew
1st October 2003, 20:34
Originally posted by Marmoot
Have a chat with Greg in Boyd Honda (Hamilton) if you're around there. They are experienced in this things as they do annual 2-week South Island tour for $750-ish per person.

Bugga that, I'd rather fly over to oz and hire a bike there for that price:argh: But then again $750 seems a lot of money to a poor student :(

Marmoot
1st October 2003, 22:35
or is it $400?
or is it including petrol?

I forgot the details.

But, hey, ferry cost is quite high. That was South Island, man.
I'm sure N.I will be much much cheaper.

igor
8th October 2003, 20:42
hers a real route, me and the mighty AG100 doing it november

Day 1
- Hamilton

- Rotorua

- Murapara

- Waikeremoana

- Tuau

- Frasertown

- via Tiniroto to Gisborne.

Day 2

- Gisborne

- Tolaga Bay

- Te Araroha

- East Cape

- Waihau Bay

- Opape turn left up the Motu Road

- Matawai

- Gisborne

- Mahia Pennisula. whats the good camp with the seafood ???

Day 3

- Mahia Pennisula

- Wairoa

- Bayview, Napier

- inland to Rissington

- Puketiteri (visit NZ best private Museum)

- then wind way back to sth towards Waiwhare

- onto Hastings - Taihape Road

- Taihape

Day 4

- Taihape

- sth on back roads on western side of Ruahine ranges

- Ashurst

- Paihiatua

- Alfredon

- Castlepoint

- toards Masterton (theres a car museum ??????? and Gladstone pub hair)

- Martinborough Lake Ferry.

Back through Waiarapa to Paihatua

or

- Rimutakas

- Brown Owl

- Waikanae (Southwards)

- Waitaere (motorbike museum hair somewhere ????)

Day 5

- Palmerston North

- via back roads to Marton

- Mangamahu

- back roads to Ohakune

- National Park

- turn left into back roads Taumaranui

- Whangamomona

- head east again for 15kms to Mt Dampier Road

- Kotare

- turn left and head west to Kiwi Road

- up Kiwi Road towards Uriti

- Mokai

- Awakino

- turn left to Marakopa

- Te Anga

- Oparau

- Hamilton

these are just a rough guideline as will see what happens each day

if this ant enuf may chuck in Coromandel to Top to see if can break his ass 500kms

MikeL
9th October 2003, 07:55
Looks like a great trip. I did some of those roads a couple of weeks ago (Akl to Wlg via Wanganui, return via Hawkes Bay and Taupo) but had some bad weather (gale force winds over the Rimutakas, pouring rain on Napier-Taupo-Hamilton) so would be keen to try it again in good conditions.
Especially looking forward to doing the East Cape.
BTW that road from Waikanae to Upper Hutt (Brown Owl) is interesting!!

:niceone:

Motu
9th October 2003, 11:29
That's a hell of a good lookin ride igor - maybe you'll get lost and never come back.You can sleep in the panniers.:p

Firefight
10th October 2003, 10:59
Yeah sounds good, Glad you mentioned Murapara (H/way38)
often forgotton road, not many people I ride with have done it, a must if your down that way, Rotomahana via kainagaroa forest to Murupara, fuc*#@g fast, only cop I ever saw on those road was a CVIU ( truckie cop) in a 4 door king cab, no radar, and not a shit show of catching us, yeah nice long straight, plenty of vis.
done it a few times now, and would go out of my way to ride it anytime I was near there.:D :D

firefight.

Coldkiwi
13th October 2003, 12:06
hehe, that ride sounds like it would cost me at least $400 in tyres!! I'll have to look at getting some sport touring Pirelli GTS rubber on before i leave. Probably not a bad I idea to just drop my stickies at the store, get the harder ones for the miles and switch back to stickies on my return.

Anyone else do that for long tours? I fair flattened out my rear tyre riding with all my excessive gear to the cold kiwi rally this year.

Racey Rider
12th January 2004, 20:58
Sorry this idea hasn't come together.
Needed a bit more support in other centers.
And now I've sold my road bike.
Thanks to those who offered input and were interested.
Maybe some other time.
Racey. :rockon:

vladi
13th January 2004, 07:59
I am keen too. :2thumbsup

Hitcher
13th January 2004, 08:20
Igor

These are big riding days! Good roads and scenery but.
Hawke's Bay is littered with great riding roads. Suggestions include the run down the eastern side of the Tukituki river through Ellsthorpe to Patangata, then back out to Waipukurau. From there take the back road to Wimbledon, Pongaroa, Alfredton and back to "civilisation" at Masteron.
The Vinegar Hill run from Feilding to SHI via Kimbolton is a ripper -- good both ways but my favourite is southbound -- I just love those up-down straights after the run up the windy bits to the top of the hill. Largely law free too for those who like to honk it a bit.
:sly: