PDA

View Full Version : The Sound Of Thunder Thread 05

dangerous
27th February 2005, 19:00
Ok then... I'll pass the rains over for this thread after my we contrbution.
Well 1st up I have to fess up.... my point for being out there was to be Kickaha's pit bitch, you know the usual water and feed the rider aswell as get oil under the finger nails..... but I got that carried away with things I forgot he was even out there...opps.
I found a Aermacchi 350 a flat single (like guzzi) with DOHC then of course I had to find every guzzi owner and chat with them.
moving on I found the Inidian hang out and marveled at them including the Burt Munro Scout see both of the links below for more on them. Meet up with a few KBers K14,TonyB, Gav, SuzyQ and HerB4 of which I had to check out the 748... very nice indead.
So racing begain with a roar and the odd Duc being rather lazy and liying down on the job. At the end of a warm up lap a Norton pulled up to the grid doing the usual zig zag warming the tyres up.... but for some strange reason the triple head decided to depart the rest of the bike, now a Norton with no end dosent go very far.
So I'll pass things over now for others to post but 1st see the imp powered Trimuph, did some one not produce a bike with those engines in them?

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=9319

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=9317

dangerous
27th February 2005, 19:04
and the rest...........

Sparky Bills
27th February 2005, 19:18
Do you know how the MotoMart 748 went??
Number 33.

Her_B4 was with him.

Kickaha
27th February 2005, 19:45
Do you know how the MotoMart 748 went??
Number 33.

Her_B4 was with him.

Not very well on Sunday he pulled out of the race I saw and I think a 6th and 7th on Saturday

Sparky Bills
27th February 2005, 19:48
bloody unfit no good for anything!! blah blah blah!!!
(just kidding Freebie!)

Bugger.
The bike looks good though aye!?

gav
27th February 2005, 21:01
In case your wondering that Ducati lying down, isnt from a crash, it died on the start line and the rider pushed it off to side then just laid it on its side. Even more bizarre was when the trailer came to pick him up, he just lay it on the trailer as well......oh well, guess its only a Ducati....... :niceone:
Good to meet everyone too!

pete376403
27th February 2005, 23:01
Imp motors were popular for a while as a race sidecar motor, at a time when bike motors were a twin at the most. The only thing comparable was the URS built by Helmut Fath. Then UJMs came along and the Imp was passed over. Incidentally new Imp motors can still be purchased, now 930 rather than 875, they were used in a later Chrysler UK Talbot

Blakamin
27th February 2005, 23:37
In case your wondering that Ducati lying down, isnt from a crash, it died on the start line and the rider pushed it off to side then just laid it on its side. Even more bizarre was when the trailer came to pick him up, he just lay it on the trailer as well......oh well, guess its only a Ducati....... :niceone:
:angry2: .....

Kickaha
28th February 2005, 00:01
Sound of Thunder and Dodgy Pieces of Italian shit
1989 Ducati F3 400

Practice day was Friday and at $10 for a full days practice was the cheapest day at the track you could have,I didn’t make it out until the afternoon as I left home at 6.30am with Biffbaff and rode up to Kaikoura to meet Her_B4 who was riding down from Wellington for the event, arrived back about lunchtime and having loaded up the night before head straight out to the track

Arriving at the track I paid my money and unloaded the bike, out on to the track and it’s running like a dog, I pull back in and rip off the air filters as a dyno run showed a 4hp gain without them and it fills in the flatspot, back out and it’s still missing I put some smaller jets in but can’t obtain the needles I need to run with them so have to put up with it running a bit crappy

Diesel Pig is having a few problems of his own after a few laps finding a cracked top triple clamp on the Aermacchi 350 he’s been lent for the meeting so they load up and head off to get it repaired and I stay out circulating to get some laps in

Coming down pitlane to head out I notice Her_B4 just about to head out on the Motomart 748 Ducati and I head off in front of her after about 4-5 laps I’m coming up behind her and thinking about giving her a smack on the arse as I go past when she pulls off back into the pits about the same time I notice Diesel Pig back out on the Aermacchi and follow him into the hairpin and pass him down the short straight and promptly run off the track as as I go in a bit hot and find the rear brake has gone on strike

I also manage to run off at the fast kink over the back and the right hander after the infield sweeper all due to rider error and trying a bit to hard, not to happy with the way its running but able to circulate ok after starting at 2.27 the lap times have come down to 2.11

Saturday 26th

After another frustrating practice with the Dodgy Italian piece of shit (DIPOS for short)K14 shoots away to buy me some new plugs to go with the new plug caps and I’ve sourced the needles that I want, all the practices are over but I get lucky with them calling a last minute 5minute practice and find now the bike pulls cleanly through the whole rev range peaking just on the 10,000rpm redline off the end of the straight

Race 1 Lightweight

Saturday grids are first come best dressed and I get up on row 3 with 26 bikes in 3 classes combined I get nailed by just about everyone into the turn 1 and slowly start picking them off I get past Russell (the bikes owner) at the hairpin and pick up another couple of places before running off at the kink as I go in to hot and get out on the grass and lose one place, I rejoin the track and manage to get it back and finish 11/26

Race 1 Superstock Ltd

36 bikes on the grid and it’s a bit of a jam into turn 1 being 4-5 wide and trying to zigzag through the traffic,I get past AJ on the Ducati 750 and get onto the back of Sue and Tony, I get good drive out of turn 5 and shoot up the inside of Sue on the Ducati 600 and start chasing down Tony I’m closing him down around the infield but he’s better under brakes off the end of the straight and hairpin and although I'm right on his back wheel he beats me to the flag by a bike length finish 23/34

Best of Italian

This is an “enter on the day” class open to all Italian bikes any size
The DPOIS dies on the start line and I push it off to the side,I wiggle the tether switch and it fires up but as soon as I let it go it dies again the flag drops and everyone is off they’ve gone about 50 metres before I’ve got the bike fired up and I ride the whole race holding it down taking my hand off it to change down for the corners and then pressing it back on to drive out of the corners, despite giving the 50+ metres away on the start I manage to catch and pass about 3 bikes, as soon as the race finishes I cut the tether switch off and join up the wires and eliminate another problem

Race 1 F2

Another grid of 30+ bikes and this time I get my start right and hook straight in behind another 400, off the end of the straight and it’s the usual crowd all over the place as everyone tries to pick up some places, lap 2 and I slipstream Tony’s Gilera 500 down the straight and pass him off the end on the next lap AJ passes us both at the same place and as he’s a bit slower through the kink I pull him back in, Tony takes both of us at the hairpin and I follow AJ and pass him up the inside into the infield sweeper and go after Tony on the next lap I get better drive through the infield sweeper and pass him around the outside on the next right hander he gets back in front and I pass him up the inside at the same place on the next lap, he’s trying to go down the inside of me into the dipper on the last lap and then the yellow flag comes out as someone has high sided exiting the dipper, past the incident and Tony’s on the gas a fraction earlier and beats me into the sweeper I’m right on his back wheel and draft him to the line but can’t make it past in time, that race alone being worth the price of entry finish 18/39 and go after Tony on the next lap

Sunday 27th

I leave the bike on the ute overnight and after a nights rain I get to the track and drain the float bowls just to make sure there’s no water in them

Race 2 Lightweight
Todays first two rows are decided on the previous days placings and I end up on row 2 grid 13 1 lap in and I’ve got Mark,Tony and Lew in front of me, I push up the inside of Tony into the infield sweeper and set off after Mark (Bultaco 350) a lap later and I go up the inside of him into turn 7 we’re running pretty close together and I’m thinking it’s going to turn to custard when he runs out a bit wider and I go through and after Lew I’m gaining on him down the straight and right on his back wheel and gassing it up as early as I dare going around the outside on the run down to the flag, he’s runing out wider and I’m getting closer to the edge of the track and thinking I’ll be on the grass soon but stuffed if I’m going to back off and beat him by half a bike finish 7/15 with 26 bikes on the track in three classes

Race 2 Superstock

I get a good start and get past the guys I usually dice with in the first corner and pass another 3 before the fast kink,a lap later and Tony goes past me at the same place I stick to his back wheel AJ passes us both down the straight and I get Tony off the front straight as well,he comes back at us and takes us both under brakes into the hairpin and I follow him past AJ and chase him for the next lap but can’t make the pass before the flag finish 14/34

Race 2 F2
I end up off row two even though it’s not my grid position and make a very average start, Tony puts 3 bikes between us at the first corner and I end up in a race long battle with Pete on a Ducati 400SS we trade places five times in three laps I pass him down the straight and he passes me at the hairpin I pass him going into the infield sweeper and he passes me on the way out, we’re gaining on the next two bikes as we carry on, we’re right on the back of them into the last corner and everyone’s on the gas hard and early in the dash to the line and we all cross within a bike length of each other finish 15/39

Race 1 C Grade Bracket Race

Another average start but I pick up 3 places into turn 1 and another couple into the hairpin lap 2 and I pass Russell (Montessa 350) off the front straight, Pete passes me and we run nose to tail for another lap, AJ decides to join in and gets amongst us, Sue and AJ run wide at the hairpin and Petes passes Sue and I get past AJ and close down Sue we pull in another guy on a Norton, Sue puts him betweens us and starts to pull away I chase him for a lap and he beats me to the line

Conti Cup
Another “enter on the day” class open to any bike on treaded tyres
My start is bloody shocking and I can’t even stay with Sue I ride around lacking concentration and making dumb mistakes to finish 26/26 this is my 7th race for the weekend and after a ½ day practice on Friday as well I’m getting really tired and about ready to pack up and there’s still two races to go

Race 2 C Grade
I end up on the front row and get a good launch I change into second and the bike starts missing and dies I get my hand up as I’m shit scared of getting hit from behind with 30 bikes coming through I limp back to the pits and park it up,I can’t be bothered trying to sort it with one race to go so strip my gear off and pack it all up

Despite the problems I had an awesome weekend with this being the best meeting I attend with heaps of racing for the $90 entry and a bloody good feed included, I might have to see if I can scrounge a bike for next year.

Kickaha
28th February 2005, 00:02
.oh well, guess its only a Ducati....... :niceone:

After my experiences with the Ducati I think he should have set the bastard on fire as well :shake:

Kickaha
28th February 2005, 00:06
Well 1st up I have to fess up.... my point for being out there was to be Kickaha's pit bitch, you know the usual water and feed the rider aswell as get oil under the finger nails..... but I got that carried away with things I forgot he was even out there...opps.

yeah as a pit bitch I'd rate him errrrrrr fucking hopeless

Blakamin
28th February 2005, 00:06
friggin 'ell!!!!

bar stard, Kickaha!!

(cant think of anything more than swearing.... bastard...)
glad you had fun

and I'll ignore the bullshit you all make up about Ducs :niceone:

dangerous
28th February 2005, 04:50
:angry2: .....
LMAO...... ya know I was told to put that pic in so as to get your attention.... well stuff me it did, wish I took a pic just after he removed his lid... when he was sitting on it :apint:

diesel pig
28th February 2005, 16:19
The Aermacchi in the photo as pushrods and rockers :shake:

dangerous
28th February 2005, 17:29
The Aermacchi in the photo as pushrods and rockers :shake:
LMAO...... call my bluff, ya 5 poster in a year zookie riding 2 pot bucket country boy (thats just under a Yamaha riding sidecar freak Duc busting prick in a red ute :done:
Wasent expecting you to notice that, the pic shows clearly that it dosent have cams in the head...LOL, what was I thinking :niceone: 4 valve head tho aye?

gav
28th February 2005, 18:13
Shame the SoT this year clashed with Rd3 of the Nationals, pretty poorly organised....