PDA

View Full Version : HD Down on H/W 50

Gixxer 4 ever
27th February 2005, 21:51
You got to feel for this guy. We were outside the Pub on H/W 50 ( Hawkes Bay ) and 2 HD's went past. We waved but no wave back. Anyway we headed off after them and it only took a few minutes to catch up. We had a car between us and the two bikes as we went in to a dip in the road followed by a right hand corner. I was surprised to see one HD come in to view and then a cloud of dust and that was it. Yep he dismounted and parked it here. He was ok No damage to the rider, but we left them trying to salvage half a tonne of HD from down a bank. I thought about the attitude they had towards us as they went past the pub and here I was helping to salvage the bike. Not hard to wave people as you just might want a hand at sometime. Hence I wave all the time. It could very well be me tomorrow.

Motu
27th February 2005, 21:58
Oops,I better not go down your way...

RiderInBlack
27th February 2005, 22:06
Glad You stopped for him and did not act like the "wave" police. Please read this (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=173635&postcount=10) and be greatful of the waves you get and not upset by the ones you did not (OK:spudwave: ).

Gixxer 4 ever
27th February 2005, 22:27
Glad You stopped for him and did not act like the "wave" police. Please read this (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=173635&postcount=10) and be greatful of the waves you get and not upset by the ones you did not (OK:spudwave: ).
Hmmm Well said. And yes I think you have a good point. Though I would stop and help anyone who needed it, it is nice to acknowledge other bike riders, as we are in a minority and need to stick together. All be it not to close as you point out not all personalities are compatible but from a distance it is good. But I take your point.

Gixxer 4 ever
27th February 2005, 22:32
Oops,I better not go down your way...
Ummmm why? We stoped and help and did all we could.

Motu
28th February 2005, 06:28
Just your attitude on waving - I've had so many rebuffs from sports bike riders I no longer wave to them.

Rainbow Wizard
28th February 2005, 07:08
nice to acknowledge other bike riders, as we are in a minority and need to stick together.

As I walked through the pits at Paeroa I spied the dudes working on their old Trumpy sidecar, nothing too mentally challenging. A bolt holding the platform to the frame needed replacing, and I crouched down beside the roughi holding the bolt and said a few words of appreciation for the show they put on (regular drifts and all crossed up at the corner at the end of the main straight). He didn't acknowledge my presence at all. Arrogant bastard.

OK, I know it was my choice to offer the appreciation and that in itself is a gift and therefor doesn't really require any response, but it sure is disappointing to not even be acknowledged. A nod would have been enough.

I walked away from there totally amazed at his arrogance or total absence of basic social skills and wondering if I'd ever bother complimenting a racer in the future.

Gixxer 4 ever
28th February 2005, 22:07
Just your attitude on waving - I've had so many rebuffs from sports bike riders I no longer wave to them.Well there you go. See the other side and I guess we are all a bit one eyed. I would still wave. :spudwave:

Gixxer 4 ever
28th February 2005, 22:08
disappointing to not even be acknowledged. A nod would have been enough.
Yep I agree but don't they put on a great show :yeah: :yeah:

Krusti
1st March 2005, 04:30
Flying (for me anyway) through gorge towards Giborne. Had the bike laid over into a tight corner. Bike coming toward me. Gave a big wave! Other guy could just manage a nod. It felt good:banana:

Ms Piggy
1st March 2005, 07:13
Good on ya for stopping and helping :niceone:

White trash
1st March 2005, 07:20
As I walked through the pits at Paeroa I spied the dudes working on their old Trumpy sidecar, nothing too mentally challenging. A bolt holding the platform to the frame needed replacing, and I crouched down beside the roughi holding the bolt and said a few words of appreciation for the show they put on (regular drifts and all crossed up at the corner at the end of the main straight). He didn't acknowledge my presence at all. Arrogant bastard.

OK, I know it was my choice to offer the appreciation and that in itself is a gift and therefor doesn't really require any response, but it sure is disappointing to not even be acknowledged. A nod would have been enough.

I walked away from there totally amazed at his arrogance or total absence of basic social skills and wondering if I'd ever bother complimenting a racer in the future.

It aint arrogance mate, don't flatter yourself.

You'll get used to racers ignoring people during a meeting. It's a fucken stressfull time and they mostly don't have alot of time. Trick is, congratulate quickly, move on. And don't take it personal like.

RiderInBlack
1st March 2005, 07:31
It aint arrogance mate, don't flatter yourself.

You'll get used to racers ignoring people during a meeting. It's a fucken stressfull time and they mostly don't have alot of time. Trick is, congratulate quickly, move on. And don't take it personal like.Yep, that's what I thought. It's like someone trying to talk to you when your real busy trying to do your job and you have a deadline to meet. Give the racer a fu*ken brake, he needs to be totally focus (mentally) on the racing. Don't distract them (it could lose them a race).

Motu
1st March 2005, 07:31
Yep,even guys I know well will ignore me in the pits,it's not my place,it's theirs and I leave them to it.

Biff
1st March 2005, 07:45
As I've previously posted, I use the two second wave rule. I wave at you, you have two seconds before my wave turns into a one finger salute. Childish I know, but bugger it. I couldn't give a shit about anyones past experience with certain individuals. I'm an individual and I deserve respect. If I wave at you acknowledge me or fuck you. But I'd always stop for a fellow biker, irrespective of whether or not you waved back at me or ride a bike I'd never entertain of riding myself.

But - I can honestly say, that in all the months of living here not one single HD or cruiser type has ever waved back or acknowledged me, and at this rate I'll have arthritis in my middle finger within six months.

Well done for stopping Gixxer. Hopefully you taught them a lesson to quit generalising about sporty bike rider types.

Dodgyiti
1st March 2005, 08:00
But you can't wave all the time, especially if you have wee clipon 'bars and are concentrating. I feel guilty when I can't wave in time, thinking that nice waving rider thinks I'm an arse. But spotting other bikes on the road comes AFTER spotting other cars/ road conditions/ traffic/ weather etc...

As for the Triumph crew, that wonderful piece of NZ history is LOUD!
If you didn't speak loudly and clearly, perhaps the bloke never heard you?
Also the adrenilin was probably still rushing through the veins, talk to me after a bungy jump and all you will get is jibberish for a while.

moko
1st March 2005, 08:29
Couple of points here,I wave if someone waves to me but more often in this country it`s a nod,usually exagerated just to let the other guy you`ve seen him.In Winter it`s the diehards out there and just about everyone will acknowledge you,it`s the posey-pillock summer "look at my wallet" crew that stick their noses up as a rule,type of bike is pretty-much irrelavent to this observation.
I`d stop for anyone if they looked like they needed help,only exception was the wanker on a Harley who gave me finger when nodded to him a couple of years back,had the full bike-gang rig-out.Trouble is there are no local gangs here wear that stuff anymore so I`d love to have got a look at his "patch",if I`d seen him at the side of the road he`d have got his finger back,probably would have crapped himself if I stopped anyway,his sort are usually all wind and piss.
Lastly,you see a Harley at the side of the road,how do you know whether it`s been dropped?Dont they come out of the factory looking like that?

Biff
1st March 2005, 09:03
Couple of points here,I wave if someone waves to me but more often in this country it`s a nod,usually exagerated just to let the other guy you`ve seen him.

Back in the Uk far more people nod or wave than they do here. Granted if you're mid corner and concentrating on the road ahead, or even in the city when other road traffic takes up your concentration you've far more important things to be worried about that other bikers feelings. But Kiwi's don't appear to be into the nodding and waving the way Brit's are. Which surprised me, as Kiwi's are generaly far friendlier and more sociable than Brits.

Anyway - I hope the HD rider had one of those new HD Airbag systems fitted....

igor
1st March 2005, 10:39
You got to feel for this guy. We were outside the Pub on H/W 50 ( Hawkes Bay ) and 2 HD's went past. We waved but no wave back. Anyway we headed off after them and it only took a few minutes to catch up. We had a car between us and the two bikes as we went in to a dip in the road followed by a right hand corner. I was surprised to see one HD come in to view and then a cloud of dust and that was it. Yep he dismounted and parked it here. He was ok No damage to the rider, but we left them trying to salvage half a tonne of HD from down a bank. I thought about the attitude they had towards us as they went past the pub and here I was helping to salvage the bike. Not hard to wave people as you just might want a hand at sometime. Hence I wave all the time. It could very well be me tomorrow.

its plan to c u have nearly ridden a hardley chafmeister. Ya can't wave as it is dangerous. the right hand on the throttle and controlling the bars. The left hand on ones crutch rubbing ya dick chanting "harleys are the best, harleys are the best". It clear he met his peak on the corner and blew it all over the road and crashed.

marty
1st March 2005, 10:47
its plan to c u have nearly ridden a hardley chafmeister. Ya can't wave as it is dangerous. the right hand on the throttle and controlling the bars. The left hand on ones crutch rubbing ya dick chanting "harleys are the best, harleys are the best". It clear he met his peak on the corner and blew it all over the road and crashed.

welcome back igor. in fine form, we are :shake: :shake: :shake:

igor
1st March 2005, 11:00
welcome back igor. in fine form, we are :shake: :shake: :shake:

thats 7 we had die in our little patch in the last 2 weeks

and went to the one in the city on sunday as well as the cyclist

another one this morning, lucky i'm on late shift

Gixxer 4 ever
1st March 2005, 18:11
Lastly,you see a Harley at the side of the road,how do you know whether it`s been dropped?Dont they come out of the factory looking like that?
Cos it ain't suppose to be down there in the blackberries and it ain't suppose to have that bend in it's tail and ........

Grumpy
1st March 2005, 18:17

Hey Gixxer. Did this happen after you left the pub at Tikokino on Sunday?

Gixxer 4 ever
1st March 2005, 18:33
Hopefully you taught them a lesson to quit generalising about sporty bike rider types.
I think the shock of it lying down in the bushes was too much to comprehend. I would have felt the same if it was mine. I felt bad for the owner and when you see a nice bike damaged it ain't nice. When he dismounted his road speed would only have been 60-70kmh but the weight of the bike just carried it on and on. Side swiped the tree ouch. The rider was left well behind it and a long way from the tree. All credit to the cow skin jacket. Despite rolling around in the shingle the jacket was undamaged. Just very dusty. He had no gloves on and lost some skin but a very lucky rider I would say. I understand all the comments people have made are good and I guess we should not judge people. I would have liked a wave back when all was going well and I would have felt better as I pulled on the rope up to my knees in blackberry that was pulling at my leathers and stuck in my hands. I am over it and a wiser person for the comments people have made. Live and let live. :spudwave: :yeah: :yeah:

Gixxer 4 ever
1st March 2005, 18:37
Hey Gixxer. Did this happen after you left the pub at Tikokino on Sunday?
Yep. While you were having a break I was pulling on the rope. They passed us as we mounted up to leave. I think you were still outside so would have seen them. Thanks for a great ride on Sunday. :2thumbsup :yeah: PM me with your Email if you want the pic's from the ride.

Waylander
1st March 2005, 19:43
Wonder how that tree felt when he hit it. Think that may be the reason for the bend in the tail and such. Did he appoligize to the tree by the way?

Gixxer 4 ever
1st March 2005, 21:03
Wonder how that tree felt when he hit it. Think that may be the reason for the bend in the tail and such. Did he appoligize to the tree by the way?
Such compassion. Mind you it was only a side swipe so it probably doesn't need to much time spent on it. But I will ask next time I am down there. I will pass on your concerns. :2thumbsup :yeah:

Gixxer 4 ever
1st March 2005, 21:18
hahahah very good. But that's not very nice. :ar15: :confused:
I have ridden one. I had a ride on a mates 1989 Springer about 10 years ago. Hence I ride a sports bike. The bars were so high I could hardly reach them and I am six feet tall. The riding position was great for long straight roads but when I got to the first corner f*ck me it just would not go around it. At 130 kmh the vibration was unpleasant ( unless your a female :wari: ). Hmmmmm maybe that's the problem. HD riders are distracted. :cool:

Waylander
1st March 2005, 21:21
hahahah very good. But that's not very nice. :ar15: :confused:
I have ridden one. I had a ride on a mates 1989 Springer about 10 years ago. Hence I ride a sports bike. The bars were so high I could hardly reach them and I am six feet tall. The riding position was great for long straight roads but when I got to the first corner f*ck me it just would not go around it. At 130 kmh the vibration was unpleasant ( unless your a female :wari: ). Hmmmmm maybe that's the problem. HD riders are distracted. :cool:
Ape-hangers.... not sure why they were invented. They certainly don't improve handeling and, in my opinion, don't look all that great. Plus my shoulders whould get tired from hangin off those things. Might help me sit up straight though.:niceone:

Gixxer 4 ever
1st March 2005, 21:24
Anyway - I hope the HD rider had one of those new HD Airbag systems fitted....
F*ck those air bags are scary. They would have saved the bark on the tree and the fence and probably the blackberry but not the bike.

murhf3
4th March 2005, 17:52
:ar15: TELL ME PLEASE ARE HARLEY RIDERS TOO COOL OR TO POSH TO WAVE AS YOU RIDE PAST THEM, OR CAN THEY NOT TAKE THERE HAND OFF THE APE HANGERS FOR APES :banana:

Waylander
4th March 2005, 18:24
:ar15: TELL ME PLEASE ARE HARLEY RIDERS TOO COOL OR TO POSH TO WAVE AS YOU RIDE PAST THEM, OR CAN THEY NOT TAKE THERE HAND OFF THE APE HANGERS FOR APES :banana:

They never work out at the gym so thier shoulder muscles can't lift thier arms above the hieght of thier handle bars.