PDA

View Full Version : UK National Association of Supertwins

Supertwin Don
23rd February 2009, 21:20
Hi, all,
Any KBers out there who are in / going to be in UK this year who would like to attend a Drag race meeting at either Santa Pod or Shakespeare County Raceway as a helpful crew member - cheap entry, start line access, good bunch of people - check out the www.supertwins.co.uk and www.lesharrisracing.co.uk sites for dates.
When we enter a meeting, we get 4 gate entry passes each - rider and 3 crew - a lot of us don't have 3 crew, so there are usually some crew tickets available which it would be nice to get some return on.
If anyone's interested, drop me a message with contact details and I'll see what can be done.

Richard
24th February 2009, 19:40
Hi
Does Ric Naylor race his bike in the Supertwin class ?
Richard

Supertwin Don
24th February 2009, 20:13
Hello, Richard,
Yes Ric does race with us - I think that you might be the chap I spoke to at Tokoroa drags on the last weekend of November. Me - leather waistcoat, beard and beret!
I haven't heard from Ric for a while - probably won't do now until the start of the season.
Ric runs in Top Gas class - he's one of the last of the two strokes!

Richard
25th February 2009, 11:10
Hi
Yes I think your correct about the Tokaroa Drags.
Say Hello to Ric from Richard with the RD400.
I believe that he is busy putting together a 580cc motor right now but he has plans for a 1146cc twin in the future.
That would be great fun to see and hear.
Have fun with your Drag racing season.
Richard

Supertwin Don
1st March 2009, 09:06
Richard,
A quick question about drag bikes in NZ - my Top gas Bike has braided hoses on the brakes and clutch, I've noticed that NZ road bikes have to have swaged fittings - I have screw type fittings on the race bike - is this permissable?

Richard
2nd March 2009, 11:22
Hi
I'm sure that they would be fine. Our rule book doesn't specify the type of fitting if my memory serves me right.
But all our competition bikes are tech inspected at the start of the season by one of the NZDRA Tech inspectors...who also races a comp bike...and he would put you right on the fine print.
You thinking of racing over here ?
Richard

Supertwin Don
2nd March 2009, 20:25
Thanks, Richard.
Yes, if all goes according to plan I will bring my race bike with me - but probably won't get out on it until the 2011 season.

Richard
3rd March 2009, 09:26
Hi
Martin Peck brought his 1900cc Puma engined bike over and he raced a couple of times. His bike was sold and the new owner became the NZ Points Champ using that bike.
It is now back up for sale I believe.
We can use all the new blood we can get over here and it would be great to have another comp bike in the field.
Richard

Supertwin Don
14th March 2009, 20:05
Another question - race licenses - I have just renewed my ACU license for 2009, I have a National Drag and Clubman Sprint & Hillclimb rating, would that transfer to NZ? or will I have to go through an "observed runs"assessment in NZ?

Richard
15th March 2009, 18:58
Hi
I have had a look in the rule book and it say..."Providing the vehicle is the same one used ....A.C.U. license holder's need only complete one run before a full license is issued."
I have shorted it a bit so that it reads as I think they intended.
But here is a link to our controlling body...http://www.nzdra.co.nz/
Plus here is the email of Chris Tynan....nzdra@xtra.co.nz
He is the CEO of NZDRA and he can answer your licensing or any other question correctly.
Thanks
Richard

Supertwin Don
1st May 2009, 21:34
Just finished loading up the van to head off to Shakespeare County Raceway (Long Marston / Avon Park to ancient Brits) for the first round of 2009 season.
Weather forecast is reasonable, we've got 8 bikes entered for Top Gas class, out of a total vehicle entry of 206.:clap:
Programmed for 3 qualifiers Saturday, possibly 2 more Sunday, and Eliminations on Monday.
Have a look at www.eurodragster.com if you are interested.

This year I'm going to try VP Fuels 109 Racing fuel - are racing fuels available/allowed in NZ competition?

Will report back when I get home Monday evening.

Supertwin Don
7th May 2009, 07:52
Okay, I know it's not Monday, but I was tired!
Unfortunately my best was only 10.606@122.58 - the winner ran 9.3@135!:doh:
Had a good couple of days though.:beer:
Race fuel has cleaned up my plugs nicely, but I didn't get a chance to try any mixture changes.
The winner was a turbo charged Harley V-Rod - approx 186bhp on the dyno!
second by about .2 of a second was 480cc two stroke twin!

Richard
7th May 2009, 10:11
Hi
Yes those race fules are used over here...I think a few of the guys use VP116
So who's twostroke came second?
Richard

Supertwin Don
7th May 2009, 19:20
Hello, Richard,
Who do you think? - yes it was Ric.

Supertwin Don
15th May 2009, 19:38
About to finish off loading up the van for Supertwins Round 2 at Shakespeare County Raceway - and it's started raining:angry2:

Hope to try out the mixture changes we didn't get to last meeting.

National Sprint Association are at this meeting - should be some interesting machinery around.:drool:

Supertwin Don
18th May 2009, 08:27
Now back from Round 2 - only two runs for the whole weekend! - RAIN!!!

First one, no time/speed as the starter mucked up - second run 10.88@124 - felt better at the top end, so hopefully heading in the right direction.
Top qualifier 9.7@134, so I need to get a move on!

No eliminations run, so qualifying points only.

Supertwin Don
12th June 2009, 21:22
Just finished loading up the van for Round 3 at Santa Pod - got to pick up a fellow racer's bike en-route, hope to get down there, set up and scrutineered this evening.
Currently wall-to-wall blue sky - let's hope it continues:niceone:

Anyone interested can follow coverage on www.eurodragster.com