PDA

View Full Version : Considering a move into NZ

mujambee
24th February 2009, 00:11
Hi,

We are a spanish familiy considering a move form Madrid to Auckland (me, wife, a 4yrs and a newborn). We chose Auckland because of the mild weather and good job opportunities; I'm IT (I assume no problem anywere), but my wife is a Laboratory Analyst, maybe there are more labs any other place in North Island (South Island is out of the question, we are used to 40º summers)

We have no end of questions about NZ, some that come to mind are:

- How much can you expect to pay for a good school.

- What mortgage rates do you usually pay (I've found something ranging from 6 to 12% on the internet, but couldn't believe that)

- Can we transfer our driving licenses or have to take new exams? I've an unrestricted here, wouldn't want to go on a 250 for two years.

- Are hobbits allowed out of their reservation?

CookMySock
24th February 2009, 06:40
Hi Mujambee

Actually, Auckland can be a little rainy. But then, Wellington will be a little windy, and Christchurch a little cold. So you roll your dice on that.

Public schools are free in NZ, and mostly they are very good. Everyone will have a bad story to tell you, but you can safely ignore that and you should have a good experience overall. If your kids are extra bright, or you would like to put extra work in, there are schools and agencies that will help get your kids ahead. They are not expensive, and the government will pay for some of it for you, since you are doing a good thing for your kids.

Well it is much cooler here. 30 degree summers perhaps, but not every day, and soon it is back to 15 degree days and a warm jacket and hat.

You will find Kiwis are very welcoming of immigrant families. They are curious to hear about your culture, food, and reasons why you came here, and what you see about NZ that is good for you. You can safely ignore the very very small number of people who do not value your contribution.

Yes you can easily transfer your full drivers license here. There is a small fee to pay.

Welcome to NZ. You will have fun here.

regards,
Steve

We chose Auckland because of the mild weather and good job opportunities; I'm IT (I assume no problem anywere), but my wife is a Laboratory Analyst, maybe there are more labs any other place in North Island (South Island is out of the question, we are used to 40º summers)

- What mortgage rates do you usually pay (I've found something ranging from 6 to 12% on the internet, but couldn't believe that)

- Can we transfer our driving licenses or have to take new exams? I've an unrestricted here, wouldn't want to go on a 250 for two years.

awayatc
24th February 2009, 06:53
Used to live in Spain....
(And a few other countries...)
Live in New zealand now....
I would suggest to come over for a holiday first.....
Mortgage of only 6%? that is very low.....for NZ.
NZ is a beautifull country, but NOT an easy country to settle into....

portokiwi
24th February 2009, 07:00
As for your licence it costs $8 nz to change it over as the wife reminded me last night. (Portuguese)
here is the site.
http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/factsheets/56.html

Maki
24th February 2009, 07:23
Think carefully before you decide on Auckland. In my opinion there are nicer places around if you can get work there...

The thing most people struggle the most to adjust to is the standard of housing here. It is rubbish, built for a tropical climate and NZ is NOT tropical. Of course it varies but many houses that look impressive from the outside are no more substantial than a movie set, with almost non existent insulation and the cold wind blows through. If you are really unfortunate you could end up buying a so called leaky home. These are houses that are only fit for condemnation because they are built with untreated timber that rots in the NZ climate. Avoid at all costs.

nallac
24th February 2009, 08:44
[QUOTE=Maki;1950407]Think carefully before you decide on Auckland. In my opinion there areLOTS of nicer places around if you can get work there...QUOTE

+1....

MIXONE
24th February 2009, 09:06
In the South Island there are places such as Central Otago that regularly have temps. in the 30's.However they also have regular snow,hoar frosts and frozen pipes in winter.:cold:

Finn
24th February 2009, 09:22
While looking at NZ, it is also worth considering Australia. 800 kiwi's are leaving NZ each week for Australia so you need to ask yourself why. In return, 3 Australians immigrated here last year. Two of them had some weird relationship fetish for kiwi's and the other one got on the wrong plane.

Worth taking a look.

vtec
24th February 2009, 09:26
I personally like Auckland better than Welly and Chch, it's close to so much cool coastline, and there's a fair bit going on here. But there are some wonderful smaller towns like Gisborne, and Napier, that are beautiful and not yet overpopulated. I agree with the idea of taking a holiday first. Maybe you could ship your stuff, and decide on which city you wanted it delivered to after travelling around a bit. Property prices should keep falling for some time I'd say.

In IT, Auckland's the easiest place to find work, probably the same for Lab work.

mujambee
24th February 2009, 10:10
Thanks everyone for your info. Most people say "Don't go to Auckland", but no one tells why. I live in Madrid, it can't be worst than that.

And how about crime. Do they ussually asault homes over there. Not so usual here, but lots of bikes dissapear every year.

Well it is much cooler here. 30 degree summers perhaps, but not every day, and soon it is back to 15 degree days and a warm jacket and hat.

In fact, we have hot summers (30º~40º) but also really cold winters here (easy to get below 0); we are tired of both, that's what we find quite good of Auckland. Good thing here is that we have very few rains, so you can ride almost all year round.

Mortgage of only 6%? that is very low.....for NZ.

You've been in Spain. Do you know if they use the same calculations here and there? We hit a peak of 6% last summer and are down to 2.5% right now, so if you tell me that 6% is low for NZ I may need to find a good bridge to live under.

As for your licence it costs $8 nz to change it over as the wife reminded me last night. (Portuguese)

Could you (or your wife) please compare living in Auckand to Lisbon?

While looking at NZ, it is also worth considering Australia. 800 kiwi's are leaving NZ each week for Australia so you need to ask yourself why. In return, 3 Australians immigrated here last year. Two of them had some weird relationship fetish for kiwi's and the other one got on the wrong plane.

I have the impression that NZ is more "british oriented" while Aussies tend to side in the USAish way of life. I definitely like it better the European way.

oldrider
24th February 2009, 10:19
Used to live in Spain....
(And a few other countries...)
Live in New zealand now....

NZ is a beautifull country, but NOT an easy country to settle into....

How so? :confused: Care to elaborate briefly! :shifty: Cheers, John.

Tank
24th February 2009, 10:43
Thanks everyone for your info. Most people say "Don't go to Auckland", but no one tells why. I live in Madrid, it can't be worst than that.

Its not (Having been to Madrid a few times).

Its the largest city and a lot of people here just dont like 'the big smoke'.

It is a nice city (if you are in the right areas - but there there are also not so great areas).

Auckland does have the most jobs - esp when it comes to IT.

Its not that bad - in the Mercer ranking it scored in the top 1/2 dozen cities in the world to live in.

Tank
24th February 2009, 10:46
On the crime front - of course there is some - but generally (as long as you arnt living in the really crap areas) - there isnt a hell of a lot. Things that make the headlines here often dont get a second mention in other cities (London etc).

Its not as good as it used to be - but its still a shitload better than most countries.

People here complain - but they forget to keep it in perspective with the rest of the world.

BM-GS
24th February 2009, 10:58
People here complain - but they forget to keep it in perspective with the rest of the world.

What he said.

If it's so bad here, why don't they go elsewhere? Human nature, I guess.

I like it when Poms complain about Auckland traffic... I can remember being in England and watching a London-bound Pom moaning on telly about the traffic being stopped on the motorway again one morning. The camera was on his passenger seat and over his shoulder you could see a bike going past every few secs... This fact was missed by the narrator, the bloke in the video, and anyone else to do with the filming.

Mully
24th February 2009, 19:43
Mortgage rates - 2 years approx 6%
http://www.interest.co.nz/mortgages.asp?mm10

Of course, all our property is now worth about as much as a book of stamps.

Auckland tends to be the most mild of the cities with regard to weather. Nothing usually too extreme one way or the other.

Oh, and please bring us some foreign currency.

Tank
24th February 2009, 20:18
Of course, all our property is now worth about as much as a book of stamps.

Oh, and please bring us some foreign currency.

You know he's coming from Spain right?

Their housing market makes ours look awesome.

jonbuoy
24th February 2009, 21:15
I have the impression that NZ is more "british oriented" while Aussies tend to side in the USAish way of life. I definitely like it better the European way.

Australian cities like Melbourne and Sydney are more "European" by comparison. Coming from a Spanish city Auckland will feel more like a big town than a city.

mujambee
24th February 2009, 21:16

True enough. In fact, that was one of the first things that came to mind.

Obviously I don't expect to earn there what I do here, but I don't have to go if I don't want to, so if I don't get the offer I'm looking for I can just stay here.

mujambee
24th February 2009, 21:18
Coming from a Spanish city Auckland will feel more like a big town than a city.

That's even better. You live in Spain, so you may know Las Rozas here in Madrid. That's where I do live now.

Mully
25th February 2009, 07:54

Well, that's not very bueno.

jonbuoy
25th February 2009, 09:56
That's even better. You live in Spain, so you may know Las Rozas here in Madrid. That's where I do live now.

Yeah for me Auckland is a better place to live than Sydney and Melbourne - Brisbane is another story... I don't know Madrid - one thing I can say you'll love how easy it is to get things done in NZ - no more dealing with traffico/horrendous paperwork bureaucracy - walk into your nearest post shop and register a bike in your name in about 10 minutes.

varminter
25th February 2009, 16:22
I came here from the UK 29 years ago, if I like it I might decide to stay:done:

MikeL
26th February 2009, 07:33

Public schools are free BUT you need to remember that this applies only to the children of NZ citizens or those who have permanent residency. If you have a temporary visa you can be charged a fee that can amount to $10,000 per child per year.

Laava
9th March 2009, 21:24

They are allowed out but unfortunately a large proportion are just like gollum!
Quite a dilemma you face in moving here or not. Only one way to find out really! One mans swamp is another mans paradise! Good luck!

Blatman
14th March 2009, 22:04
Good luck in dealing with our immigration dept - they're an arrogant, ignorant bunch of minimum wage earners.

scumdog
14th March 2009, 22:12
Don't come here.

This place is full of pre-pubescent lack-witted cretins whining their arses off on Kiwi Biker about binning/cops/registration fees/insurance costs/asians/Maoris/sprotsbike riders/car drivers......and how they are a better rider than people realise......and don't even need a job.

But if you DO get here you'll probably improve things...

want-a-harley
17th April 2009, 19:03
Have you been to Auckland? It's not so much a city as a collection of large spread out suburbs.

Lab jobs: http://www.seek.co.nz/science-technology-jobs

mujambee
17th April 2009, 21:12
Have you been to Auckland? It's not so much a city as a collection of large spread out suburbs.

That's what we are looking for. We live and work in suburbs near Madrid, and try to avoid the city as much as we can. First visit to Auckland will be next august to verify in-situ what we've been told.

Lab jobs: http://www.seek.co.nz/science-technology-jobs

Thanks for that; that's exactly what we need.

Ojai
17th April 2009, 23:02
http://www.emigratenz.org/

That is what we used for a lot of research and question asking before we moved here. It was very helpful.

Finn
17th April 2009, 23:10

A good school will cost you about $10,000+ a year. A bad school (public) is free (funny that).

Currently, mortgage rates are around 6% but don't buy. Rent first. NZ will probably get to you very quickly and you may want to leave. Your wife will be the first to want to get out, trust me.

Buy any motorcycle you like. If you get caught, just speak Spanish and you'll be sent on your way with a free English dictionary.

The hobbits are harmless, it's the Maori's you've gotta watch.

Laxi
17th April 2009, 23:15
it's the Maori's you've gotta watch.

please expect a visit from the race relations ofice for some quick "reprograming":rofl:

Finn
17th April 2009, 23:18
please expect a visit from the race relations ofice for some quick "reprograming":rofl:

What do Indians know about NZ?

Laxi
17th April 2009, 23:20

you been smoking the wacky backy again??

Finn
17th April 2009, 23:24
you been smoking the wacky backy again??

No. I didn't mean "wo wo" Indians. I meant "get out of my shop, come again" Indians.

Laxi
17th April 2009, 23:37
No. I didn't mean "wo wo" Indians. I meant "get out of my shop, come again" Indians.

ok so not smoking then.
injecting somthing you shouldn't?

mujambee
18th April 2009, 00:20
A good school will cost you about $10,000+ a year. A bad school (public) is free (funny that).

Not bad, I'm paying around 20000$/yr here so...

Currently, mortgage rates are around 6% but don't buy. Rent first. NZ will probably get to you very quickly and you may want to leave. Your wife will be the first to want to get out, trust me.

Spain's a sinking ship, we hope to be among the first rats to flee it.

Buy any motorcycle you like. If you get caught, just speak Spanish and you'll be sent on your way with a free English dictionary.

I'll earn my living selling dictionarys at the airport, then.

The hobbits are harmless, it's the Maori's you've gotta watch.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Beeza
28th April 2009, 15:13
Avoid ANYWHERE in South Auckland (Manukau, Mangere, Manurewa, Otara, Papatoetoe etc) and you'll be okay. Crime, violence and urban decay is very high there.

Dave Lobster
6th May 2009, 20:38
Avoid ANYWHERE in South Auckland (Manukau, Mangere, Manurewa, Otara, Papatoetoe etc) and you'll be okay. Crime, violence and urban decay is very high there.

Wise words..

And the eastern suburbs of full of chinese drug importers.

The north shore is heaving with the fucking english and south africans.

Out west full of bogans and V8 drivers.

Is there anywhere nice in Auckland??

They know how to make Telecom's wireless routers work.. ;)

R6Genesis
9th May 2009, 08:13
Hi,

We are a spanish familiy considering a move form Madrid to Auckland (me, wife, a 4yrs and a newborn). We chose Auckland because of the mild weather and good job opportunities; I'm IT (I assume no problem anywere), but my wife is a Laboratory Analyst, maybe there are more labs any other place in North Island (South Island is out of the question, we are used to 40º summers)

I am also considering moving to NZ and found KB through this forumhttp://www.emigratenz.org/forum/ (http://http://www.emigratenz.org/forum/) It has a ton of useful information.

Guzza
27th May 2009, 22:54
Wise words..

And the eastern suburbs of full of chinese drug importers.

The north shore is heaving with the fucking english and south africans.

Out west full of bogans and V8 drivers.

Is there anywhere nice in Auckland??

Yup, Christchurch ;)