PDA

View Full Version : Someone tried to steal my bike

chocobo_ff
24th February 2009, 13:55
Went to my bike just then to find that someone had shoved a screwdriver or something similar to try and break my steering lock... they didn't succeed but the keyhole is kinda f*cked. Good thing I have a huge chain on my bike too ><

It was parked in the architecture carpark, top layer of the two level carpark. Have just called security and they are coming to talk to me now-ish. I'm relieved that the bike wasn't stolen, but obviously very unhappy about it. Should I contact the police regarding this to or would they just ignore me??

Anyway... more update once I talked to the security guys at the UoA.

Have attached photo of my keyhole. Sorry about the quality, but was obviously in a bit of a rush to get the photo then onto the phone with the security people...

Edit: ok the title is maybe not the best - not really a break-in but rather someone trying to steal my bike @@

bomma
24th February 2009, 14:00
fuckin bs man, hope they got cameras around the area. from experience cops dont really do much. blessed be he who locks his bike with a big fuck-off chain :)

PirateJafa
24th February 2009, 14:04
That's bloody worrying, particularly as I now have a shiny bike. What's security say?

chocobo_ff
24th February 2009, 14:04
I only tried my key once, and it seemed to work ok (not as smooth as it was before though :( ), is it worth getting the lock changed before it gets to the point that my key is useless? Guess what I'm asking is how much would it cost to get that thing replaced??

Still waiting for security to come - will give an update once I've talked to them.

Duke girl
24th February 2009, 14:20
Its a never ending sarga of bikes being stolen or some bloody low life trying to steal 1. It must be such a worry to all of you out there who ride your motorcycles to work and do the right thing in locking them up the best way you know how and yet find out once you have returned to your machine that it has either been stolen or some turd has tried their best to try stealing it without succeeding.
About reporting it to the cops, you wont know what they will do about it until you go to them and report it as it was an attempt to having your bike stolen. I hope there is footage of the low life who didn't succeed in stealing your bike and that he gets his well deserves.

motorbyclist
24th February 2009, 14:23
report it to the cops anyway

and make sure the lock still works as it should - these bastards might have another go

Waxxa
24th February 2009, 14:32
Shows you the type of dickwads this chump was...trying to break the lock barrel and the bike has a chain on it :stupid: The more locks you put on the bike the more chance these thieving scum will go for more insecure bike :no: unfortunately

Paulo
24th February 2009, 14:36
Good on ya for having a decent chain, some fucker tried to steal my GB500 in Wellington city over the weekend (jealous harley guy me thinks ;) ) anyway bloody glad I took TWO fuckoff chains with me into town, They weigh a ton but well worth it. Fixing your locks a lot cheaper than getting a new bike !

chocobo_ff
24th February 2009, 15:19
That's bloody worrying, particularly as I now have a shiny bike. What's security say?
A guy came to take my details, we went to have a look at the bike, where it was parked (carpark 7, behind the architecture building, top level, under cover area next to the entrance into the architecture building), took some photos of the ignition keyhole, the chain that I have, and said he'll talk to the guy who did the morning shift to see if they saw anyone suspicious... bit doubtful they'll catch anyone though but oh well. Bike still here and fully functional.

report it to the cops anyway

and make sure the lock still works as it should - these bastards might have another go
Just rode the bike home, and checked the key a few times, seems to be a lot smoother now that I'm actually thinking straight and hands not shaking when I try to turn the key... :)

Good on ya for having a decent chain, some fucker tried to steal my GB500 in Wellington city over the weekend (jealous harley guy me thinks ;) ) anyway bloody glad I took TWO fuckoff chains with me into town, They weigh a ton but well worth it. Fixing your locks a lot cheaper than getting a new bike !
Yeah I thought about having two chains after what happened today. But for now I think instead of the chain going just my rear wheel, I'll have it going through the actual frame of the bike, that way they can't take off the wheel and take the bike even if they someone managed to break the steering lock AND the chain...

chocobo_ff
24th February 2009, 15:25
Oh and thanks to whoever it was that edited the title! :) Wasn't thinking when I posted because it was right after I found out someone tried to steal my bike :Oi:

Right now I'm trying to think positive and not ruin the rest of my week because of it, so just glad that the bike is ok, key works fine and it didn't get stolen. I am VERY glad that my gf convinced me that I should hold off getting a new bike until after I'm done with uni, and I agreed because of the number of bikes that got stolen last year. A couple of weeks ago I actually forgot my chain, so I thought I'd just use the steering lock and the disc lock that I have stored under my seat, but was so paranoid that I left work after about 2 hours (yes I only worked for 2 hours that day :P). Imagine what would've happened if I didn't have my chain today ><

Oh and I did call the police after talking to security, and filed a report with them. Guess that's the best they can do given it wasn't stolen, which is a good thing anyway :2thumbsup

Anyway, going to get away from the computer for a while, calm myself down, and make sure nothing else is wrong with the bike, make sure security for the bike is still tight as ever (check the chain's not damaged, steering lock works properly), then move on :D

Squiggles
24th February 2009, 15:32
Is that the carpark at the very back of architecture? Access off grafton road?

chocobo_ff
24th February 2009, 15:48
Is that the carpark at the very back of architecture? Access off grafton road?

Yes it is. I park there because it's under cover and I often see security walking around when I go get my bike... obviously they aren't there patrolling 24-7 :doh:

Squiggles
24th February 2009, 15:53
No camera's? They were looking at putting a security bar there too (if im thinking of the same spot)

chocobo_ff
24th February 2009, 16:08
No camera's? They were looking at putting a security bar there too (if im thinking of the same spot)

The spot I'm talking about is under the ducts, next to the entrance into the architecture building (top level of the 2-level carpark).

The security guy said there's only cameras by the entrance apparently. There are bars there that I can chain my bike to (which I did and am I glad I did), and I think there are bars on the left hand side of the top level now too, just before the ramp going down (think those are new?)

Going to give security a call on Thursday (not going to be in tomorrow after what happened... -_-) to see if those who were on the morning shift saw anything, but not getting my hopes up on that...

CookMySock
24th February 2009, 16:10
Thats nasty, bro. Maybe park it where theres some security cameras and get a video of the cunt and then get organised to go have a wee speak with them. Forget the cops, they are completely uninterested in this, even if you got a video of the person - maybe if the crim parked illegally they will be keen to come down and write him a ticket.

Steve

BM-GS
24th February 2009, 16:22
Check the bike over thoroughly. Some dickhead did my ignition with a screwdriver (FB chain lock over the seat not big enough for him to see, I guess) and caused minor agg getting started.

Everything else seemed fine until 500m down the road when I had to stop for a red light. I then found that the whole ignition barrel had dropped down and was trapped between forks & frame, so no left-turn possible. I'm still glad of that red light, consequences don't bear thinking about if it had been green...

Good luck.

Real_Wolf
24th February 2009, 17:33
at least they didn't manage to take it away. Security camera's at uni are a joke though, the ones underneath physics courtyard are just dummy camera's and aren't actually recording.

Two things to check with that ignition. My old bike had a damaged ignition like that, and it had two quirks. Firstly, with anything, you could turn the lock, as long as you could apply the force (Had done it with a ring, with the opposite side of key, etc). Secondly, the key could come out (though it wouldn't wobble out) while in the on position.

CB ARGH
24th February 2009, 17:38
Try putting the chain through the rear wheel and over the seat, that works well with my bike, may not with yours though.

Glad to hear that they weren't successful, the bastards deserve a knuckle sandwhich, and a big kick up the ass. :2guns:

chocobo_ff
24th February 2009, 17:50
Check the bike over thoroughly. Some dickhead did my ignition with a screwdriver (FB chain lock over the seat not big enough for him to see, I guess) and caused minor agg getting started.

Everything else seemed fine until 500m down the road when I had to stop for a red light. I then found that the whole ignition barrel had dropped down and was trapped between forks & frame, so no left-turn possible. I'm still glad of that red light, consequences don't bear thinking about if it had been green...

Good luck.

at least they didn't manage to take it away. Security camera's at uni are a joke though, the ones underneath physics courtyard are just dummy camera's and aren't actually recording.

Two things to check with that ignition. My old bike had a damaged ignition like that, and it had two quirks. Firstly, with anything, you could turn the lock, as long as you could apply the force (Had done it with a ring, with the opposite side of key, etc). Secondly, the key could come out (though it wouldn't wobble out) while in the on position.
Very good suggestions, thanks for that! Will do that sometime tomorrow, I think I'm going to stay away from the bike tonight just to try and keep my cool about what happened. Had a quick check and the ignition seemed ok, and I rode home without problems, but will definitely go over it again tomorrow to be sure.

Try putting the chain through the rear wheel and over the seat, that works well with my bike, may not with yours though.

Glad to hear that they weren't successful, the bastards deserve a knuckle sandwhich, and a big kick up the ass. :2guns:
I put the chain through the rear wheel then to a security bar thingy (bit like those for bikes, but much thicker and they are bolted to the ground). Are you referring to putting it through the rear wheel and then the seat when there's nothing to chain the bike to? That's what I do if I go somewhere without a bar or post or tree or something to chain my bike to (and then put the disc lock - which I normally don't use if I chain my bike to a bar because honestly I don't see the point - on my front wheel just as an extra layer or protection) :yes:

mozzee
7th March 2009, 21:57
Someone did exactly the same to mine last week. I was parked by Freedom Furniture on Lincoln Road out west for all of 5 mins. Came back and some ass had screwed with the lock. It was a hot sunny day and lots of people were in the carpark. It took me about 30mins of getting frustrated with the lock to finally get the key to turn (was just on the phone to the insurance company getting some onroad assistance). But I finally have it pretty much down to a technique now of pulling the key out slightly before turning it - therefore avoiding the huge dent from the screwdriver. I was pretty pissed - I had a disk lock on too - so they wouldn't have got very far. Pointless crime!! But I feel for ya buddy - not a nice thing to go through.

Slyer
7th March 2009, 23:04
Man they are onto it eh, impressed that you bothered to put the disc lock on even though you were only going to be gone for 5 minutes. Was worth it obviously!

mozzee
8th March 2009, 09:31
Unfortunately I have lived in west auckland too long! I know what they're like. Have had enough cars stolen and damaged over the years. Not gonna let anyone steal my baby - well not gonna make it easy for them anyway!!

zzzbang
9th March 2009, 23:50
Seems to happen quite often lately, maybe its some new vandal past time..something like keying cars. Had some douche carve his initials on my car door the other day....

The Pastor
10th March 2009, 08:45
Thats nasty, bro. Maybe park it where theres some security cameras and get a video of the cunt and then get organised to go have a wee speak with them. Forget the cops, they are completely uninterested in this, even if you got a video of the person - maybe if the crim parked illegally they will be keen to come down and write him a ticket.

Steve
you flipping muppet. pissoff already.

chocobo, DO report this to the police. they wont do anything, but it will be on file, and could be usefull if they get heaps of reports of simerlar crimes in the same area. and will help with insurance etc etc.

nothing will happen if no one reports the crime.

chocobo_ff
10th March 2009, 08:55
Have reported the incident to the university security and the police, obviously they can't do much since nothing was stolen and it was a relatively minor issue (compared to say the whole lock being broken).

It's really unfortunate this sort of things happens, especially at the university, where the majority of us are poor students who have trouble getting by as it is without these crooks ruining our bikes :angry2:

bigfoot
10th March 2009, 15:46
Sons of bitches ! Well I wasnt as lucky as you when I had my gsx250 lifted, but thats coz I was a bigger retard that relied on the steering lock. report it to the police despite the fact that they wont do shit anyways coz they need to have these incidents on file just for stats if nothing else.

Also, should we be discussing what cameras are dummys and what carparks dont have cameras in front of theiving thugs......only making their job EASIER

shafty
10th March 2009, 18:17
Sons of bitches ! Well I wasnt as lucky as you when I had my gsx250 lifted, but thats coz I was a bigger retard that relied on the steering lock. report it to the police despite the fact that they wont do shit anyways coz they need to have these incidents on file just for stats if nothing else.

Also, should we be discussing what cameras are dummys and what carparks dont have cameras in front of theiving thugs......only making their job EASIER

Dummy cameras ARE for dummies. If they are dumb enough to steal in view of actual CCTV cameras, they would do the same in front of dummy cameras.

I have heard of a Supermarket in Ak with signwriting "This carpark is under camera surveillance". Someone had their car nicked. "Bugger, but at least it will be on camera" . Turns out they were dummies (both meanings) .

Depending on which story ending you believe, the Supermarket had to pay out the car theft victim....

Rant over.

Sorry to hear about your bike Dude :sunny:

motorbyclist
10th March 2009, 23:41
Dummy cameras ARE for dummies. If they are dumb enough to steal in view of actual CCTV cameras, they would do the same in front of dummy cameras.

cameras, in theory, will deter thieves - they generally don't know if they're live or dummies

LIVE cameras, may give vital evidence as to who the thief is, or atleast what to expect in the future.

considering how little the cost of a basic CCTV system is in proportion to that of ongoing vehicle theft, especially when you already have an existing system, a dummy camera really IS for dummies.

the fact that UNisafe has live cameras monitoring things like major walkways into and out of some buildings, but dummies on the entries/exits to their staff parking is ridiculous. i'd call it downright irresponsible. shit, if i knew what exit MY bike took from CP36 i could possibly get further footage from auckland city's cameras situated on nearby intersections/motorways - or not seeing as they don't actually keep the footage for any length of time and the police don't actually have direct access (or so the cop told me upon my enquiry)