PDA

View Full Version : Some questions about NZ driving regulations

mujambee
25th February 2009, 05:25
Hi,

In my search of info about NZ, while browsing through the forums, I've came up with some more questions:

1. What are the generic upper/lower speed limits on different road types?
2. Can you go to jail for a driving offense?
3. Can you be accused of Excessive speeding without the use of a radar/laser?
4. How is drunkenness treated over there? (Not that I'm planning on riding drunk, but a friend of mine got caught here last week and I'm curious)

Nasty
25th February 2009, 05:50
50 Residential/local .. 100 motorway .... that is in wellington auckland is different

get enough of them yup

yup - doesn't mean they get ya though

4. How is drunkenness treated over there? (Not that I'm planning on riding drunk, but a friend of mine got caught here last week and I'm curious)

Don't is the easiest way ... it is really frowned upon and costs dearly.

awayatc
25th February 2009, 07:08
Hi,

we don't treat it....it usualy goes away after a good night sleep....:yes:

James Deuce
25th February 2009, 07:14
Hi,

In my search of info about NZ, while browsing through the forums, I've came up with some more questions:

1. You guys use Arabic numerals. You'll figure it out from the road signs.
2. Yes.
3. Yes.
4. NZ has no problem allowing drunk and disqualified drivers on the road, and road deaths caused by other drivers are treated as minor non-criminal offences. You have to take a vehicle into a shopping mall and head for a children's clothing shop and squash a 6 year old to get into touble for killing someone with a vehicle.

Mikkel
25th February 2009, 07:21
4. NZ has no problem allowing drunk and disqualified drivers on the road, and road deaths caused by other drivers are treated as minor non-criminal offences. You have to take a vehicle into a shopping mall and head for a children's clothing shop and squash a 6 year old to get into touble for killing someone with a vehicle.

Nice and cynical, I like it. Would bling you, but have to share the love first...

Waxxa
25th February 2009, 09:58
We do drive on the LEFT hand side of the road...in case you dont in Spain

Ixion
25th February 2009, 10:05
Hi,

1. Blanket upper limit is 100kph (ie you can't legally go faster than that anywhere). Lower limits are signposted. Urban areas (ie places with houses) are generally 50kph, but can be lower or higher. Signposts tell you. Speed limits are not usually related to the type of road (ie there is not a "motorway speed limit" as such)
2. Yes, though it would be unlikely for a first offence. There are a number of offences that *can* carry a prison sentence. Causing death by dangerous driving is usually the big one.
3. Yes. You can be accused of excessive speed just on the estimation of a police officer (indeed, any member of the public, though that would be very rare). Of course you have a better chance of of successfully denying the charge in the absence of radar evidence. Police will regularly (and successfully) charge drivers on the basis of their speedometer reading (ie they follow you and look at their own speedo).
4. Driving with excessive alcohol in the blood (ie drunk) is a serious offence. Note that the limits are MUCH lower for under 20s. For a first offence *in theory* you can go to jail, but in practice the usual for a first offence is a heavy fine (around the $1000 mark), and mandatory disqualification for six months. Repeat offences , can be dearer, and longer. Note that if you are disqualified for more than 12 months, you have to resit all your licence tests again, from the learner stage. Ouch. Drink driving compounded with other offences (eg dangerous driving) is a more serious matter.

Ixion
25th February 2009, 10:06
We do drive on the LEFT hand side of the road...in case you dont in Spain

well , some of us do !

peasea
25th February 2009, 13:42
Hi,

Not only can you be accused of it, I've been convicted of it.

The copper wrote "Excessive speed" across the ticket at 45 degrees and put about four exclamation marks at the end. I don't think that me laughing at the ticket helped but it WAS pretty funny at the time. He didn't even care to guess at my speed and I can't recall what it cost me but I didn't lose my license coz there was no speed quoted. Co-incidentally, the fuckwit got stabbed a wee while after that and he was put on court duties.

oldrider
25th February 2009, 13:56
well , some of us do !

Probably about 50/50 so just go with what you feel comfortable with!

Everyone else here does but give way to those in front, on the left, on the right and especially those behind you and you might be OK!

Might even pay to speak nicely to the big guy directly above you as well.

New Zealand is just chock full of choices, aint it. :niceone: Enjoy your stay, if you do come over! John.

enigma51
25th February 2009, 14:03
Hi,

1. What roads? its all bush
2. We send you to australia
3. whats a radar and this laser thing
4. We dont get drunk you might just be mistaken for a sheep

YellowDog
25th February 2009, 14:08
Compared with Europe, the drink drive limit is unusually high in NZ. I don't drink and drive however the one time I did (not out of choice), I got stopped and breathalised. I was in a car. I'd had 4 bottles of 5% beer and 2 glasses of red wine. I felt quite tipsy so I was driving slowly. I got stopped for "suspiciouly slow driving" (50kph in a 50kph zone). I passed the test with a green light, no problem. I won't be taking such a risk again.

oldrider
25th February 2009, 16:37
Compared with Europe, the drink drive limit is unusually high in NZ. I don't drink and drive however the one time I did (not out of choice), I got stopped and breathalised. I was in a car. I'd had 4 bottles of 5% beer and 2 glasses of red wine. I felt quite tipsy so I was driving slowly. I got stopped for "suspiciouly slow driving" (50kph in a 50kph zone). I passed the test with a green light, no problem. I won't be taking such a risk again.

Triumph riders are such discerning people. :spanking: You "almost" let the side down! :argue: but:

All is forgiven, moving right along. :ride: :killingme. Cheers John.

Madness
25th February 2009, 16:46
The Police don't need evidence to accuse you of anything in this cuntry. They fund their campaign of false accusations through the use of a quota system for the issuing of speeding tickets. Cops have a minimum number of tickets they have to issue every hour, you just have to hope they've had a good days catch if you happen to come into their sights.

Disco Dan
25th February 2009, 16:59
Hi,

You will have to excuse the rest, they seem to have skipped their meds today.

This man Ixion quoted below... is an actual serious response. Sad when you actually ask a question but you can count on Ixion to be serious.

1. Blanket upper limit is 100kph (ie you can't legally go faster than that anywhere). Lower limits are signposted. Urban areas (ie places with houses) are generally 50kph, but can be lower or higher. Signposts tell you. Speed limits are not usually related to the type of road (ie there is not a "motorway speed limit" as such)
2. Yes, though it would be unlikely for a first offence. There are a number of offences that *can* carry a prison sentence. Causing death by dangerous driving is usually the big one.
3. Yes. You can be accused of excessive speed just on the estimation of a police officer (indeed, any member of the public, though that would be very rare). Of course you have a better chance of of successfully denying the charge is the absence of radar evidence. Police will regularly (and successfully) charge drivers on the basis of their speedometer reading 9ie they follow you and look at their own speedo).
4. Driving with excessive alcohol in the blood (ie drunk) is a serious offence. Note that the limits are MUCH lower for under 25s. For a first offence *in theory* you can go to jail, but in practice the usual for a first offence is a heavy fine (around the $1000 mark), and mandatory disqualification for six months. Repeat offences , can be dearer, and longer. Note that if you are disqualified for more than 12 months, you have to resit all your licence tests again, from the learner stage. Ouch. Drink driving compounded with other offences (eg dangerous driving) is a more serious matter.

mujambee
25th February 2009, 18:33
You will have to excuse the rest, they seem to have skipped their meds today.

I bet we bikers get much more than our alotted head concussions :lol:

Anyhow, I think I get the picture. Thanks.

mujambee
25th February 2009, 18:38
1. You guys use Arabic numerals. You'll figure it out from the road signs.

Spent the whole day looking out the window but still couldnīt spot any of your road signs from here.

I understand there is no minimum speed limit over there. Right? (i.e.: Here you have to ride/drive at least at half the maximum speed limit on non urban areas)

You'd probably ended in jail here.

Winston001
25th February 2009, 19:10
I understand there is no minimum speed limit over there. Right? (i.e.: Here you have to ride/drive at least at half the maximum speed limit on non urban areas)

Noooo.......but you can be charged for going too slow if you are obstructing traffic. Pretty rare charge but it can happen.

Patrick
26th February 2009, 10:48
.......4. Driving with excessive alcohol in the blood (ie drunk) is a serious offence. Note that the limits are MUCH lower for under 25s. .....

Accurate post Ixion...:niceone::Police:

The age limit for the lower levels is actually 20, not 25.

Repeat offenders can, and will, have their car impounded and the courts can order their forfeiture, so it can be an extremely expensive game.

Ixion
26th February 2009, 11:20
Ah, my bad. I get really confused about when youffs is youffs and not youffs. Everything seems to have a different age.

OP corrected.

Patrick
27th February 2009, 10:34
Ah, my bad. I get really confused about when youffs is youffs and not youffs. Everything seems to have a different age.

OP corrected.

Fink of youffs as teens.... age 19 and 364 days or less = youff...

20th birfday, no youff......

James Deuce
27th February 2009, 11:07
Accurate post Ixion...:niceone::Police:

The age limit for the lower levels is actually 20, not 25.

Repeat offenders can, and will, have their car impounded and the courts can order their forfeiture, so it can be an extremely expensive game.
They'll just "borrow" someone else's and kill people with that instead.

Patrick
27th February 2009, 11:24
They'll just "borrow" someone else's and kill people with that instead.

True... should shoot them in the face when stopped then.:Oops:

Swoop
27th February 2009, 11:32
I got stopped for "suspiciouly slow driving" (50kph in a 50kph zone).
Something like that should be framed and hung on the wall.

"Keeping to the posted speed limit" is suspicious...:scratch:

Ixion
27th February 2009, 12:08
Fink of youffs as teens.... age 19 and 364 days or less = youff...

20th birfday, no youff......

Ah, but that's only for this particular law. For other things it's different. Voting is one age. Buying booze is another. Insurance is another . Drivers licence, how long you have to stay on each stage, is another (I think that's where I got the 25 from).

Was much simpler when it was 21 for everything.

Patrick
27th February 2009, 12:15
Ah, but that's only for this particular law. For other things it's different. Voting is one age. Buying booze is another. Insurance is another . Drivers licence, how long you have to stay on each stage, is another (I think that's where I got the 25 from).

Was much simpler when it was 21 for everything.

Voting and booze buying is the same, ya know.....

Insurance = dunno.

Licence = 15. 6 months on learners, 18 months on restricted (shortened to 9 if ya do the defensive driving course).

Used to be if over 25, you could go straight from learner to full.... but that is long gone, as the licencing places saw they were missing out on easy cash, cutting out that restricted part.....

James Deuce
27th February 2009, 14:42
True... should shoot them in the face when stopped then.:Oops:

I will pay for your ammunition with money that should be used to feed my children.

MarkH
27th February 2009, 16:26
Licence = 15. 6 months on learners, 18 months on restricted (shortened to 9 if ya do the defensive driving course).

Used to be if over 25, you could go straight from learner to full.... but that is long gone,

Actually it used to be over 15 you could go straight from no license to full. I had a full car license at exactly 15 years & 1 Month old. But that was over a couple of decades ago.

Ixion
27th February 2009, 16:28
Voting and booze buying is the same, ya know.....

Maybe that explains the bozos that get elected.

James Deuce
27th February 2009, 16:30
Maybe that explains the bozos that get elected.
Pregnant too.

Ixion
27th February 2009, 16:34
No, if its voting involved it's us who get fucked.

James Deuce
27th February 2009, 16:36
Some of us will end up pregnant. I guarantee it.

Patrick
2nd March 2009, 10:19
Actually it used to be over 15 you could go straight from no license to full. I had a full car license at exactly 15 years & 1 Month old. But that was over a couple of decades ago.

We are showing our age. I think it was like this up until the 1983 ish years....

samgab
2nd March 2009, 10:29
FYI:
New residents and visitors – driving in New Zealand
http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/factsheets/56.html

Driving offences and their penalties
http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/factsheets/55.html

Also try:
http://tinyurl.com/c8tl4o

Winston001
6th March 2009, 22:50
Hi Mujambe, just remembered that there is a good forum for people interested in moving to NZ. Lots of useful stuff.....if only I can find it. ;) Try this one, might be what I was thinking of: http://www.movetonz.org/forum/

And another http://www.emigratenz.org/forum/archive/index.php/f-7.html

Yes this could be the right one http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=83

mujambee
7th March 2009, 06:05
Wow, thanks.

There are loads of info there, I'll probably never need to ask anything again about NZ :)