PDA

View Full Version : 4/5 October Racing Weekend

bluninja
28th September 2003, 17:08
So who's coming to play...who's coming to watch?

Saturday 4th at Manfeild. Final round of the Vic winter series.

KK makes his long awaited (:D) racing debut. Mitch, Greg(?) are in F3, Bluninja is lurking in Clubmans. Is Racey going to be there on his 150?

Sunday 5th at Pukekohe

The next morning the clocks go forward and it's the start of the Auckland championships at Pukekohe. Is Dave going to be contesting at his 'home' track in 125, will KK stay in clubmans or go straight in at F3? Mitch, Ho-Hoon, bluninja, Greg in F3. Will CK make it onto the racetrack?

This is where we sort the men and Mitch's from the boys...and the creative excuses are forged.

TTFN

Racey Rider
28th September 2003, 17:35
Sorry to say I didn't have the cashflow before the cut off date to join in on this race day. If I can get things sorted I may come down on the RGV for a laugh/ I mean LOOK at the "New Competition". :p
Go KK!
:niceone:

Slim
29th September 2003, 08:33
I'm planning to be there on Sunday at Pukekohe, despite the fact that it's my Dads birthday! :Oops:

Just to watch, of course. :)

AND sporting my new Kiwibiker T-shirt too. :D

Kwaka-Kid
29th September 2003, 09:25
ahaha! sweet, we are gunna do this! no pulling out now!

and yeah, manfield i think for sure ill enter clubmans, well i already have, but pukekohe most likly F3 as i have ridin @ puke like 5times now.

Dave
29th September 2003, 09:40
Yeah, I'm gearing up to win all my races- no more playing.

What?
29th September 2003, 11:20
I hope to be at Puke to watch. (Does that make me sound like a pervert??)

Let's hope it is t-shirt weather...It sure is crap today:argh:

Antallica
29th September 2003, 11:26
Yeah I might come down to watch.

w00t

Coldkiwi
29th September 2003, 12:58
I'll be keen to come watch! not organised enough with the bike and licence to get on the track but I'll be there to see KK and Si win all their races :)

good on ya KK for making good on your many promises!

babyB
29th September 2003, 13:47
*holds hand up* me too 4 puke .wanna see if i can improve me lap times :rolleyes:

that is the amount of times i get lapped not the lap time ROTFLMAO

bluninja
29th September 2003, 14:17
Sorry BabyB, didn't mean to miss you out. Will you be doing clubmans? If so I'll be able to watch and cheer you on.

As for you ColdKiwi....there's another  weeks to the second round:D

TTFN

babyB
29th September 2003, 14:25
aww thats ok blu. yep to clubmans

wkid_one
29th September 2003, 15:25
I'll be at Manfield - but not on the R! :( :( :( :( :((

Now just gotta con someone to get me up there!!!!

Kwaka-Kid
29th September 2003, 23:51
Wkid, 'nuf excuses, lets get this show on the road, you just better make sure your there boy.

Hoon
30th September 2003, 10:15
Good on ya KK!  Best of luck for Manfeild guys, sorry I can't be there - maybe next time!

Didn't realise daylight savings ends this weekend?  Damn you guys are already pressed for time getting back to AKL without being robbed of an hour!

Hey Dave, you practicing at Puke on Sat?  Migth come over and pick your brains a bit!! :)

Coldkiwi
30th September 2003, 12:33
Originally posted by bluninja

As for you ColdKiwi....there's another  weeks to the second round:D

TTFN

how many weeks??? I should be ready to go bikewise within 3 weeks (fingers crossed)

bluninja
30th September 2003, 13:08
CK next round after this is 16/11. Entry forms are here (http://www.amcc.co.nz/entry_forms/club_series_2003-2004.doc)

So that's 7 weeks! Just enough time to get sorted:)

TTFN

Dave
30th September 2003, 13:23
Hey Dave, you practicing at Puke on Sat? Migth come over and pick your brains a bit!!

No-need the time off, be there sunday though.

wkid_one
30th September 2003, 13:29
I'll be there to watch KK - but considering this time tomorrow I will be lying in the theatre recovery room after surgery - I think I have a plausible excuse not to be racing

bluninja
30th September 2003, 14:59
What a feeble excuse:D I would have thought that with the superb handling of the R1 you'd only need one arm to control it! LMAO

All the best for a good trip through surgery tomorrow.

TTFN

SPman
30th September 2003, 18:32
And now, the weather report for the weekend.....:gob:

Rain, hail, high wind and snow anyone? :eek:

Kwaka-Kid
1st October 2003, 01:11
i have to say BETTER F-ING NOT BE! shite.. that would suck... i have little track exp at all in rain and i must admit thats one thing that does worry me a bit.. dont know how hard to push it... loose it way too easy :S

good luck Wkid, all the best man, will be thinking of ya.

gpercivl
1st October 2003, 16:34
Yep, I'll be doing both Manfeild and Pukekohe this weekend...got to protect my top 10 placing in F3...got down to 1:20's last time :D And, haven't had my old 400 out at Puke before so that should be fun too...see how good my patented ram air will work down the back straight...into the head wind...and probably rain...but it's till gonna be AAAWWWEEESSSSOOOOOMMMMEEE fun!!!

see y'all there.

Greg #9 (#79 for Nats)

Coldkiwi
1st October 2003, 17:42
geez guys.. she's looking more like a swimming race for the weekend! hope you've all got wet weather gears and tyres ready to go!

Kwaka-Kid
2nd October 2003, 01:02
hey guys,   FUCK 1:20's? i thoguht manfield was longer then pukekohe? or at least took longer? SHITE thats my TIMES AROUND PUKEKOHE! god help me... im gunna be hiding behind my helmet when i come into the pits in last place lapped10x... and nah stuf fwet weather stuff, im just gunna take it REAAALLY easy.. like you dont know how easy/slow. well you prolly do if you came on the KB rides that i been on :o

wkid_one
2nd October 2003, 10:44
well - maybe able to drive by Sat - will bethere - shoulder is fecken sore but

gpercivl
2nd October 2003, 13:55
Originally posted by Kwaka-Kid
hey guys,   FUCK 1:20's? i thoguht manfield was longer then pukekohe? or at least took longer? SHITE thats my TIMES AROUND PUKEKOHE! god help me... im gunna be hiding behind my helmet when i come into the pits in last place lapped10x... and nah stuf fwet weather stuff, im just gunna take it REAAALLY easy.. like you dont know how easy/slow. well you prolly do if you came on the KB rides that i been on :o

Get a spare set of wheels, whack some super sticky wet weather racing tyres on 'em and you'll never worry about the rain again...I usually gain 3+ places in the wet :D

See photo...almost a stoppie in the rain!!

wkid_one
3rd October 2003, 19:57
WHat time does it kick off tomorrow?

SPman
3rd October 2003, 21:02
When the rain slows down to heavy?

Racey Rider
4th October 2003, 08:04
Originally posted by wkid_one
WHat time does it kick off tomorrow? Riders briefing at 9am. Pratice starts soon after that. First race, around 10:30.

marty
4th October 2003, 12:19
hope it's not raining

Slim
6th October 2003, 08:24
How was the racing at Pukekohe yesterday???

I'm not ashamed to admit that the heavy bursts of raining & the strong, gusty winds were enough to keep me indoors yesterday. :)

marty
6th October 2003, 10:54
it was about 8am, the rain coming horizontal, and the wind shaking the house that made me wimp out. at least i got to watch the 250 and motogp racing on sky.......i see the 250's only run about 6km/h average slower than the big bikes on the twisty tracks....and they highside just as spectacular!

gpercivl
6th October 2003, 13:43
Manfeild was wet all day with showers and occasional patches when some dry lines opened up. I managed to get down to a 1:29 but the top guys in F3 were doing 1:25's, got a 4th then a 6th then round 3 was cancelled due to hail.

Pukekohe was much better with the track dry enough to run proddy tyres. Bill Ven Dehoven and Ross King got down to 1:11's in Race 1, I managed a 4th doing 1:15's but the winds were pretty gusty and water was running across the track in 3 streams at the hair pin (Malcolm Bell on a Ducati high sided in the warm up lap in the BEARS class big time unfortunately).

In Race 2 there was a bit of oil on the track and I dropped to 1:17's finishing 5th, but Bill VDH and Ross dropped to 1:10's...they've got super-nice lines going into turns 2 & 3.

Looking forward to the next round in November :niceone:

Cheers, Greg #79 (now)

Coldkiwi
6th October 2003, 13:52
1:10's you say? was there much of a headwind down the back straight at Puke?

can 600's get into F3?

*CK entertains dreams of granduer*

bluninja
6th October 2003, 14:16
CK, you can have up to 900 cc in F3 if you drop to 2 cylinders, 2 valves and air cooling:D

TTFN

gpercivl
6th October 2003, 15:04
Originally posted by Coldkiwi
1:10's you say? was there much of a headwind down the back straight at Puke?

can 600's get into F3?

*CK entertains dreams of granduer*

Yep, quite strong and gusty I managed to get 13,600rpm in 6th which calculates out to 226km/h on the 400 which is a lot slower than the 600 motor in the same frame...I used to regularly get 260+ (max 270.3 with tail wind) kph.

Top F3 times are in the order of 1:07's and top 600 prod are 1:00 flat. My best on the 600 was 1:08...if I can get 1:11's on the 400 on a dry day I'd be happy...maybe in the Nationals :D

SPman
6th October 2003, 15:04
That was you on the FZR was, gpercival? Malcom crashed because he was going like a mad barstard on the warmup lap with cold tyres.

From a Marshalls perspective at turn 3, there was enough of the usual drama to keep things interesting - particularly in post classics when ? on a Ducati Pantah blew his motor half way through turn 3,locked up and came down, then the pack, 5 secs behind came through and another bike came down on the oil! The race was stopped.Then, with we erstwhile marshalls and helpers picking up bikes and dealing to the oil, what do we hear but the roar of the field coming at us in full flight! - someone had waved the field off again!:argh:

Never seen BestFun wave a flag quite so agitatedly.:D Just the thought of trying to avoid those mad buggers on their GS1000's etc fare sends shivers up me spine!

Dave was going well in 125's, starting slow then picking of a bike a lap getting a couple of 3rds - the races werent long enough - a couple of laps more in the last race would have seen a 2nd perhaps? KK was also going well, circulating middle 2nd bunch in the F3's and having some good duelling practice,but ahead of Simon. Even had Mitch on KK's bike in 1 race!

Was that BabyB we saw out there as well? :niceone:

Not the best weather, but at least the track seemed to dry quite quckly between squalls.

Kwaka-Kid
6th October 2003, 15:17
wow greg... thats a nice top speed you have achieved previously!... sounds like my bike needs a fair bit of tweaking... with that wind i hit 6th just at the end of kink and it wouldnt pull.. which is approx 200kmph, which saw me loose alot of ground to Keith on the GSXR400 (41) as his bike just kept pulling...

gpercivl
6th October 2003, 15:17
Yep, that was me on #79, used to be #9 but have changed for the Nationals (hopefully will do 'em all this year). I had a couple of slides putting on power at the hairpin thru the water but nothing uncontrollable, but was backing off a lot to be on the safe side.

Thanks to all the marshalls working out there, really appreciate you putting in the time to watch out for us :niceone:

Cheers, Greg

gpercivl
6th October 2003, 15:26
Originally posted by Kwaka-Kid
wow greg... thats a nice top speed you have achieved previously!... sounds like my bike needs a fair bit of tweaking... with that wind i hit 6th just at the end of kink and it wouldnt pull.. which is approx 200kmph, which saw me loose alot of ground to Keith on the GSXR400 (41) as his bike just kept pulling...

Hi KK, you looked to be having heaps of fun out there :D My 400 is pretty much stock standard 1987 with 30K on the clock which my wife swapped for a cow worth about $400. Then I added the Arrow exhaust, RGV-250 forks and Ohlins rear off my old F2 bike. Then finished off with a ram air system which works well at Puke.

You can get a lot more top end out of most std production motors by putting on a good quality exhaust system then rejetting. The 400 std jets were 0.875mm which I've richened up to 1.17mm which makes those little motors go hard.

So, for a few dollars you can probably get a lot more out of the VFR...all though mine sems to be a little quicker than Lyndsey Ross's one...he's just wwaaayyyy quicker than me thru the corners!!!

Kwaka-Kid
6th October 2003, 20:19
wow dude.. thanks for that.. shite i thought ur system must be something trick as.. yet sounds simple... well atm i just lengthend my exhaust and did a homemade can on the end with straight thru 44mm perf pipe... cant afford the $1200 Tyga Performance exhaust system unfortunatly.. however i am soon going to cut out the paper element of air filter and replace with some twinair foam to help it breathe.. and will prolly also make some sort of home bodged ram-air system, but have heard all sorts of bad things about this with CV carbs which are not designed for it?..

babyB
6th October 2003, 20:44
yep i was out there. laffs ridin with me self thinkin im soo slow.:(  realized in R2 that the other 3 biks are bloody big ones lol i had no show . still loved the racin . and the guys on hairpin and castrol corners..aww gee ya keept me going.:niceone:

Coldkiwi
7th October 2003, 11:41
KK is thinking about using NEW PARTS!? NO WAY! he really is a changed man!

Well, I managed to cut 1:11's last time at puke and that was with a reasonable headwind (only 230kmhr instead of 250 previously) so maybe I wouldn't be so embarrased if I did compete in F3's? Taupo would be a different storey tho because I'm starting to learn puke and the closest I've got to the Centennial track was riding past on the way home from the Cold Kiwi rally this year

Good on SPman and Bestfun for risking life and limb to prevent others loosing theirs! Sounds like the race officials owe you two a beer!

Hoon
7th October 2003, 15:44
CK keep in mind that this was on a wet windy track with 3 rivers running across the hairpin and oil on turn 3 exit.  I could only manage 1m23s, 8 secs off my dry times but I'm not very confident in the wet (especially after last weekends wipeout).  More experienced riders were probably only a couple of secs or less off their dry times!  I still can't believe Bill Ven Dehoven and Ross King improved a sec in the 2nd race considering the conditions were a lot worse!!!

Kwaka-Kid
7th October 2003, 18:55
yeah hoon, i held my same time of 1:21 in the 2nd.. yet i thought i was taking it easier.. it seems every race i get out there, both with pukekohe and manfield i got faster and faster, each lap faster then the one before it, but not more hten 0.8sec.. unless another race, where between races i changed by 6secs @ manfield.. from 1:45wet qualtime and best lap in 2nd race of 1:35wet   but wow @ 8 seconds, id get a friggin ass whoopin!

Kwaka-Kid
7th October 2003, 18:55
yeah hoon, i held my same time of 1:21 in the 2nd.. yet i thought i was taking it easier.. it seems every race i get out there, both with pukekohe and manfield i got faster and faster, each lap faster then the one before it, but not more hten 0.8sec.. unless another race, where between races i changed by 6secs @ manfield.. from 1:45wet qualtime and best lap in 2nd race of 1:35wet   but wow @ 8 seconds, id get a friggin ass whoopin!

SPman
7th October 2003, 21:39
<DIV id=0></DIV>

<SPAN id=hbblock><LABEL id=HbSession SessionId="2796326674"></LABEL>
Originally posted by HO-Hoon
I still can't believe Bill Ven Dehoven and Ross King improved a sec in the 2nd race considering&nbsp;the conditions&nbsp;were a lot&nbsp;worse!!! </SPAN>

<SPAN>They seemed to be going at it a lot harder in the 2nd race - prob because Ross lost his gear shift linkage in the 1st race and wanted to make up for it!</SPAN>

Dave
8th October 2003, 08:32
I was running 1.14's in the first race and i think it was low 12's in the second, Not sure exactly but i do know i was gaining on the leaders. 6 laps is just too short for any kind of race.Specially for a fat boy like me!

Coldkiwi
13th October 2003, 12:01
yeah, I figured the times might be down a bit Ho-hoon Still, news like that is really encouraging as it means I can kid myself I might be vaguely competitive in the middle of the field! Well maybe in clubmans as I suspect F3 is a bit more dedicated. We'll see. Heck, if KK can get out there I have no excuse!

&nbsp;

&nbsp;

Mitch
13th October 2003, 13:38
CK.................. KK didn't just get out there, he did it with some SERIOUS style mate!!!!&nbsp; I wish I had been even half that good at my first meeting.&nbsp; :niceone:&nbsp;&nbsp; All I can hope is that he doesn't kick my ass in the toooo near future :o HEHE

Kwaka-Kid
13th October 2003, 15:02
:o shucks...couldnt have done any of it without all hte help and advice i have recived, even mitch's mates who we shared the garage with... good advice all, thanks:D

SPman
13th October 2003, 18:24
Hey Mitch - got your "new" bike yet? :)

duke
13th October 2003, 19:11
Hey SPman :niceone: thanks for&nbsp;helping me after I crashed the Pantah last week.&nbsp; Fortunately the engine is in one piece.&nbsp; An oil pipe blew and sprayed oil all over the exahust and rear wheel.&nbsp; That's why there was so much&nbsp;smoke and I went down.&nbsp; Apologies to the rest of you who had to dodge the oil.&nbsp; With the recent weather&nbsp;it should be all washed off by the next meeting :)

&nbsp;

the duke

wkid_one
13th October 2003, 19:31
When is the next round at Manfield?

SPman
13th October 2003, 21:54
Hi Duke. Thought it was you but wasnt sure.Glad theres not to much damage to you or bike mechanicals.:D Was quite spectacular though and gave us a bit of excitement for the day. :eek:

Mitch
14th October 2003, 07:51
Heya SPman, I sure do thanks&nbsp;:p picked her up on Saturday.......... YEHA she needs some work before I get her on the track but at least I have abit of time to play with before the next meeting.&nbsp; Will try and get a pic on today :p

Wkid_one the Winter series is all over now, I think the next meeting down there will be the Nationals.

gpercivl
14th October 2003, 10:12
Vic Club are having a fun day at Manfeild on October 26th, it's supposed to be no racing with classes graded based on times and I think MNZ license not needed...

Email Daryl New at: nzmcnews@paradise.net.nz for further details, seem to remember cost is $50...should be fun as not too serious.

I won't be able to make it but should be down for the nationals in Dec (13-14).

Cheers, Greg

gpercivl
14th October 2003, 10:14
Also check out Manfeild's event page.... http://www.manfeild.co.nz/events.asp

Mitch
14th October 2003, 14:06
Well it's not a great pic but you get the idea...........&nbsp; I have TWINS :banana: :banana:

bluninja
14th October 2003, 14:31
Nice bike Mitch......maybe you should have posted a rear view so that I can get used to it before the next race:p

Here's a pic of KK in the wet going for his first race at Manfeild..

Kwaka-Kid
14th October 2003, 14:55
hey thanks for that pic Si!!

and mitch - shit she looks sexy!.. and aint u lucky, twins... i got sisters, but not quite twins..

Dave
15th October 2003, 16:53
Hey Blue, You didn't happen to find my tyre pump in your gear after your tyre changing marathon at Puke, Did you?

bluninja
16th October 2003, 10:31
Dave, thanks so much for the use of the levers, compressed air, and the valve tool. I didn't use a tyre pump as I just overinflated and dropped the pressure then left them alone for the rest of the day. I'll have a look in my race toolbox and make sure I have nothing extra anyway....the only extras on the last look where KKs spare boots, spare helmet, spare visor, engine oil.....that guy is so forgetful.

TTFN