PDA

View Full Version : Tail light question

Tubbsy
25th February 2009, 07:27
Hi KB'ers

First post here with what I hope is not too dumb a question.
Is the bikes tail light supposed to be on when the lights are on? It seems obvious to me that it should, just like a cars right so drivers behind you can see. But neither mines, nor my girlfriends are onwhen the front lights are on (which they always are). The brake lights come on no worries, but no tail light.

Apologies if this has been covered, but I did a search and didn't find it.

Cheers

greminn
25th February 2009, 07:30
Hi KB'ers

First post here with what I hope is not too dumb a question.
Is the bikes tail light supposed to be on when the lights are on? It seems obvious to me that it should, just like a cars right so drivers behind you can see. But neither mines, nor my girlfriends are onwhen the front lights are on (which they always are). The brake lights come on no worries, but no tail light.

Apologies if this has been covered, but I did a search and didn't find it.

Cheers

I would have thought that the back light is on all the time.. i know with my 07 honda VTR250 they are.

gammaguy
there is no legal requirement to have any lights on outside the hours of darkness

when the front lights are illuminated,the taiillight should also .

never assume that having lights on at any time at either end of your machine means anyone else on the road will register your presence or right to be there

RIDE AS IF YOU ARE INVISIBLE:yes:

fatzx10r
yeah they should be on. you might want to have a look at that or get some one to check it for you

nallac
25th February 2009, 07:33
check your bulbs, they might have blown the tail light filament but the brake filament could still be OK.

Tubbsy
25th February 2009, 07:46
Ok, thanks for the replies. I'll check those asap.

Duc
25th February 2009, 13:37
If you had really thought about it you could have answered this yourself.

You must have front and rear lights at night ...

:stupid:

Tubbsy
25th February 2009, 16:29
I did think about it. Re-read my first post. :first:

Just wanted to make sure.....never hurts to check.

Got a new one at lunchtime today and is now all good. Only thing is, front brake doesn't trigger the brake light, so I'm guessing maybe a switch?

BASS-TREBLE
25th February 2009, 16:55
Make sure that the bulb is in correctly. It has 2 pins and one is further from the base than the other so that the brighter light is the brake.

CookMySock
25th February 2009, 16:56
Only thing is, front brake doesn't trigger the brake light, so I'm guessing maybe a switch?Yes. By the brake lever somewhere.

Steve

jtzzr
25th February 2009, 18:02
Yes. By the brake lever somewhere.

Steve

Yeah the micro-switch , it sometimes gets gummed up and wo`nt work, you could try and fix it ( if that`s the problem) or you can but a new one for $10.
Join the 2 wires that are connected to it and see if the brake light turns on if so , it`s the switch that`s had it.

Duc
26th February 2009, 08:08
[QUOTE=Tubbsy;1952944]I did think about it. Re-read my first post. :first:

Just wanted to make sure.....never hurts to check.

QUOTE]

Did you think that maybe the tail light turned on magically when it got dark and was saving power during daylight hours. :Pokey:

Does never hurts to check ...and I am only winding you up mate.

Mikkel
26th February 2009, 09:15
check your bulbs, they might have blown the tail light filament but the brake filament could still be OK.

+1

This man almost certainly correct. Check your bulbs before anything else.

Tubbsy
27th February 2009, 07:10
"Did you think that maybe the tail light turned on magically when it got dark and was saving power during daylight hours"

Ha ha, touche'. Nah, all good now thanks everyone. Just need to check those two wires for the front brake now.

As a noob biker in NZ, reading these threads about the state of NZ road conditions.....it's making me wanna ride at 20km/h everywhere (but I won't :2thumbsup )