PDA

View Full Version : New Honda DN-01

Burtha
25th February 2009, 11:17
Its officially arrived in NZ - an auto bike. Pretty damn expensive for a 650cc though at $23k. Pretty space-aged lookin. Thoughts? And will Aprilia bring the mana to town now?

BMWST?
25th February 2009, 14:04
looks like something very heavy has been dropped on it!

oldrider
25th February 2009, 14:12
Its officially arrived in NZ - an auto bike. Pretty damn expensive for a 650cc though at $23k. Pretty space-aged lookin. Thoughts? And will Aprilia bring the mana to town now?

Minor detail but I think you will find that it's 700cc!

Big Dave did a ride report on same and found it to be surprisingly good to ride! :niceone: John. (if I remember correctly)

NighthawkNZ
25th February 2009, 14:33

Is Fugly...

Big Dave
25th February 2009, 15:05
Big Dave did a ride report on same and found it to be surprisingly good to ride! :niceone: John. (if I remember correctly)

I rate it as an important vehicle for a number of reasons.

My report and a large discussion are on advrider.com in the road warriors section.

Burtha
26th February 2009, 16:49
My report ... on advrider.com in the road warriors section.

Urm, could you be a little more specific? :)

AllanB
26th February 2009, 16:54
I quite like it, maybe. A dam site better looking than a Burgman (pass the bucket).

But at $23k I'd be off to see Mr Triumph for a Speed Triple or even Mr Honda for the Predator. But then I'd be missing the point of the thing as its not designed to compete with either of those two.

I bet a fall off the side stand would write it off!

Elysium
26th February 2009, 17:45
Its been in this country for a while. They have one at City Honda thats been sitting there for quite a while now, don't think many people are interested in it.

AllanB
26th February 2009, 19:11
don't think many people are interested in it.

Yeah - I wonder why they opt for something like this but bypass the beautiful CB400 Super Four (available in Aus). If they could get these in a keen price I believe that attract a lot moving from 250's. I see the 09 model even gets VTEC - good for 54 hp.

Hitcher
26th February 2009, 19:25
The DN-01 isn't the only overpriced Honda model. Clearly the distributors must think they can move them at that price. Time will tell.

Pogo2
26th February 2009, 19:37
A dam site better looking than a Burgman (pass the bucket).

You maybe right but then I am biased. This ones a real hybrid that crosses a number of genres.

Also at $23K I think I'll stick with my Burger and still have $14K in the bank. However I'm sure the Honda would "perform" well.

Yet to see one on the tarmac tho'

325rocket
26th February 2009, 19:47
looks like something very heavy has been dropped on it!

and if not it should be

Mort
28th February 2009, 11:22
What are Honda thinking of with this bike ?

A 680cc aint going to interested most bikers
Especially when it weighs 270 kg FFS
with a 15 litre tank
and foot boards !!!
and it costs $25,000
and it looks like a joke

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle-news/2008-honda-motorcycles/honda-dn-01-final-white.jpg

OK so it has the fancy transmission but why not put that on a proper bike and let people make their minds up instead of this....THING.

Big Dave
28th February 2009, 11:48
What are Honda thinking of with this bike ?

Someone who is the opposite of a fireblade rider. there are a lot of them.

Big Dave
28th February 2009, 11:50
Urm, could you be a little more specific? :)

www.advrider.com

search: DN-01

Yes old boy - I found it very good to ride.

Bonez
28th February 2009, 17:35
Yeah - I wonder why they opt for something like this but bypass the beautiful CB400 Super Four (available in Aus). If they could get these in a keen price I believe that attract a lot moving from 250's. I see the 09 model even gets VTEC - good for 54 hp.Don't bring the air/oil cooled CB750 either. Thank goodness grey market fills the gaps ah?

The DN looks better in the flesh though. Comment from a City Honda salesman was it's targeted to the fairer sex.

Grizzo
28th February 2009, 17:41
It looks aquatic:mellow:

Hitcher
28th February 2009, 20:50
Comment from a City Honda salesman was it's targeted to the fairer sex.

As long as they don't have to pick it up after it's been dropped.

Big Dave
28th February 2009, 20:53
As long as they don't have to pick it up after it's been dropped.

There are plenty of punters on Bandits that can't do that.

Big Dave
28th February 2009, 20:54
It looks aquatic:mellow:

Indeed - I had it shark-like at some angles

Hitcher
28th February 2009, 20:55
There are plenty of punters on Bandits that can't do that.

That be true.

7mmWSM
1st March 2009, 20:56
I see most members commenting on here are already riding sports orientated bikes. What makes me smile is that this particular bike is never really going to be aimed at a sports bike rider.
The person who will buy this bike is someone after an 'easy to ride' cruiser riding position and also after a lowish seat height.
I would decribe the bike as a cruiser that actually handles and stops remarkably well for its size - (its actually not that heavy but tends to heavier than it is).
Most of you probably need ride the bike if your serious about one and I bet most would change their minds somewhat compared with most comments here...and yes, it looks way nicer in the flesh!

pritch
2nd March 2009, 14:30
I saw one in Melbourne, not my cup of tea but whatever turns your crank...

BIKE magazine didn't really know what to make of it, they entered one in a hill climb, it didn't finish last either . It beat a 600 KTM which leads me to believe that the KTM owner might have been experiencing trouble of some sort. Still, second to last is better than last :clap:

The Pastor
2nd March 2009, 15:33
canit wheelies?

NZsarge
2nd March 2009, 15:42
$23,000... Hmmm, a DN-01 or a new limited addition Kawasaki ZX14.....? You know, I just can't make up my mind.

Yeah right. :killingme

Maha
2nd March 2009, 16:34
$23,000... Hmmm, a DN-01 or a new limited addition Kawasaki ZX14.....? You know, I just can't make up my mind.

Yeah right. :killingme

Sure is one ugly mother fucker.....what were they thinkin'???
Yeah I'd go with the DN also....:lol:

howdamnhard
2nd March 2009, 16:55
Looks good but is way to expensive.The automatic drive is supposed to be very good,uses a variable hydraulic pump.

Big Dave
2nd March 2009, 18:40
canit wheelies?

Accelerates like a large scooter.

Mort
5th March 2009, 22:29
Someone who is the opposite of a fireblade rider. there are a lot of them.

Fair do's Dave.... not everyone like sports bikes I know that.... but does this really tick anyones boxes ?.... its all a bit wierd.

They could do wonders with that gearbox though..... :)

McJim
5th March 2009, 22:43
Cruiser position with aerodynamic and modern styling. I wouldn't buy one but then I can't sit on a cruiser for more'n 5 minutes without excruciating lower back pain and an urge to put my feet on the headers instead of the pegs.......