PDA

View Full Version : Update car driving lessons!

kunoichi
25th February 2009, 16:02
Story: I was over at my friend's place the other day and her mum comes into the room and picks up the usual conversation of how i'm throwing my life away kuz i'm on a bike etc. My usual reply is simply that I'm aware of the dangers, and the greatest dangers are other drivers, both to us and themselves. This time she had a go at how dangerous it was to lanesplit in the traffic. "you can never see them coming", which is true if you don't look in your mirrors. However, i stumbled across a point of cars having blindspots, to which she remarked "Your rear view mirror and side mirrors cause you not to have a blindspot in a car". I was astounded by this statement, as a woman of 50 odd years, who had driven a car for the better of those 50 years, was completly oblivious to the fact that her car has a blind spot!!

I blame this on the licensing system! I have both a motorbike and car license, and I learnt ALOT more about road rules, road safety and vehicle glitches wen i went for my motorbike license than wen i got my car license. It's absurd i think that they teach motorcyclists these safety information, and not car driver, then they have the nerve to go on about how dangerous it is to ride a motorbike, wen the car drivers in their blissful ignorance r the danger!!!:Oi:

Duke girl
25th February 2009, 16:11
I think the main reason why alot or cage drivers will tell you that riding a bike is dangerous is because you dont have anything around you protecting you if involved in an accident.
If we all stopped and thought about that then none of us who ride motorcycles today would.
They to me are no more dangerous than what cars are and the feeling you get whilst riding you would never get driving a motor vehicle.
Each to their own when it comes to having an opinion about what we drive or ride but i can truely say that when the sun is shining I know what i prefer to be on and no doubt there are alot of you out there who would feel the same way.

Mully
25th February 2009, 17:01
Part of the road problem in NZ is a licencing system which wouldn't tax the abilities of a mildly retarded chimp. Partly because licences are seen as a right, not a priviledge.

PirateJafa
25th February 2009, 17:34
Partly because licences are seen as a right, not a priviledge.

No, they're seen as a another store-bought item. You want one, you just throw money at the AA until they relent and give you one.

Slyer
26th February 2009, 08:29
I don't know about you guys but I always see bikes coming in my mirrors. People who change lane without turning the head need to be shot too.

Burtha
26th February 2009, 10:05
I agree with Slyer. But to be ignorant of blind spots is pathetic to say the least. Dukegirl is right - we are only protected by our clothing when we are on a bike and its little competition to the frame of a car when in an accident. Car drivers are more lax so we have to be more aware. Its sucks. No doubts there! But when I'm in my car - I'm as considerate to all others on the road as I possibly can be, and a right bitch to others who deserve it :devil2:

kunoichi
26th February 2009, 17:29
People who change lane without turning the head need to be shot too.

:clap: Would be cool to go out with an air rifle and pin point these guys! :devil2:

That being said, licenses shouldn't be a right and they certainly shouldn't be given carelessly as soon as the green stuff comes into view. I think it's safe to say that money is the root of all coruption!

Squiggles
26th February 2009, 22:08
I think the main reason why alot or cage drivers will tell you that riding a bike is dangerous is because you dont have anything around you protecting you if involved in an accident.

Hard to hit your head on the steering wheel if you dont have one :confused:

retro asian
26th February 2009, 22:30
I don't know about you guys but I always see bikes coming in my mirrors. People who change lane without turning the head need to be shot too.

I tooted at a car which changed lanes right in front of me, maybe seeing me-maybe not. Driver must have been scared when she saw my tough looking 250cc chopper (:laugh:), so she waved a few times and turned on her emergency lights.

Incident forgiven. But I nearly fell off my bike when she did the same thing to another car 5 mins later down the same stretch of motorway....

The Pastor
26th February 2009, 23:08
Part of the road problem in NZ is a licencing system which wouldn't tax the abilities of a mildly retarded chimp. Partly because licences are seen as a right, not a priviledge.
sigh, wrong use of words. they ARE a right not a privilege.

cant be bothered explaining it to you tho.

CookMySock
27th February 2009, 07:33
The woman is just trolling you, bro. Don't waste your breath with trolls. Her daughter will be next, you watch. Soon it will be nearly non-stop, so get used to it.

Steve

vifferman
27th February 2009, 08:35
I can understand the thing about car's blind spots. My wife's car seems to have a brilliant view to the rear, whereas that on the bike is obviously not panoramic. However, on the bike, I *know* to look because of the obvious gaps in rear-view sight. In the car, I've nearly side-swiped cars at least half a dozen times because I get suckered into thinking I can see everything behind me. However, there's a black hole just to the right rear of the car, where other vehicles totally disappear for a moment or two. If there's a speed differential they reappear, otherwise if you're traveling at the same speed they can sit there indefinitely and you'd never know they were there.