PDA

View Full Version : F'n helmet hair! Is there NO relief?

Burtha
25th February 2009, 16:25
I have curly hair and look like a melon when I take off my helmet even after a short ride. I've just been down to the shops and do NOT feel like I have just stepped out of a salon ... :mad:

Del Fuego
25th February 2009, 16:39
Purchase a hat?

yungatart
25th February 2009, 16:44
Be proud of it, you earned it, so why not?
Just thumb your nose at the rest of the world as you walk by tossing your curly hair that has been individually styled by (insert helmet brand of choice here)

MadDuck
25th February 2009, 16:48
Keystone had a t-shirt that summed it up:

"Hair by Shoei"

...as for curly hair. Never had a problem myself :laugh:

Mom
25th February 2009, 17:56
Keystone had a t-shirt that summed it up:

"Hair by Shoei"

...as for curly hair. Never had a problem myself :laugh:

Curly hair is my all time favourite thing. Of course I got handed the straight as "get fucked if you want me to bend even a little bit" stuff.

Helmet hair is seriously in the eye of the beholder, ie YOU. We all (well us girls do anyway) suffer to some degree from it. Have yet to meet a bloke out riding that says......"Fuck your hair looks disgusting!"

Ignore it is my advice.

If you are really concerned about riding to work and arriving with HH just give yourself a few extra mins when you arive. Keep your hair contained while riding, either in a pony or wrap, brush it out and give it a "gee I look fab" tickle up, and hey presto, you are done.

PS: Product is your friend :yes:

Grizzo
25th February 2009, 18:06
I have curly hair and look like a melon when I take off my helmet even after a short ride. I've just been down to the shops and do NOT feel like I have just stepped out of a salon ... :mad:
Yep, just go with the shaggas nest look!:msn-wink:

Mom
25th February 2009, 18:09

Is that like GBF hair?

Number One
25th February 2009, 19:03
I get terrible helmet hair and it sucks. Doesn't matter how well dressed I am for work my mop ends up in a twist or ponytail which totally ruins the look :rolleyes:

Just hanging out for disposable income again. I had my hair chemically straightened (relaxed) a few years ago - it was FUCKING BRILLIANT! Took nothing to look like I had just stepped out of a salon...no really NOTHING! It was white girl straight and glossy and gorgeously light and well dammit perfect. Naturally I have a wave and my hair is far too thick so hanging out the bottom of my helmet I arrive places looking like I have a birdsnest stuck to the back of my neck :pinch: Thank god for good strong elastics!

prettybillie
25th February 2009, 19:08

Then at least people will be jealous 'cause they think you're getting some and not even think you've got helmet hair :laugh:

P38
25th February 2009, 19:33
I believe a Number Two will fix your helmet hair problem Burtha :eek:

Number One
25th February 2009, 19:36
What you suggesting she takes a crap to ease her helmet hair?! ;)

P38
25th February 2009, 19:54

Hahahaha.....

Well now that you mention it......

WasPhantom
25th February 2009, 20:08
Shave it off, problem solved :)

elle-f
25th February 2009, 20:22

:clap: you are bloody hilarious.

My hair is crap after the helmet but I have learned not to give a toss. I just evil eye the people back who are staring at me! Ya know, give em that hardened biker look....

mangell6
25th February 2009, 20:39
The real question for helmet hair is how tight are your leathers? :whistle:

The real distraction.

McWild
25th February 2009, 20:57
Man, I have longish curly hair, and I find the worst part is that little tail of hair sticking out the back of the helmet, and when you take the helmet off the top of your hair is flattened but that little tail is all curly and wind-weathered.

... but I'm still real manly, honest.

MadDuck
25th February 2009, 21:01
... but I'm still real manly, honest.

Yeah right! You are posting in Biker Angels about your long curly hair :buggerd:

Burtha
26th February 2009, 08:14
Purchase a hat?
I do have a habit of swapping between helmet and hat, but not every hat goes with what ya wearing. Doesnt bring back the curls much either unfortunately. :crybaby:

Burtha
26th February 2009, 08:38
Just thumb your nose at the rest of the world as you walk by tossing your curly hair that has been individually styled by (insert helmet brand of choice here)

Definite confidence booster there - thanx! :D

Yes, I do have a bottle of curl-up spray stuff and thought about using it, but when your going to a few places it builds up and doesnt work the same after the 3rd or so time you use it.

the shaggas look ... Then at least people will be jealous 'cause they think you're getting some and not even think you've got helmet hair

This is quite a nice idea - am sure I can muster up the grin to match!
:Punk:

I got close to it when I lived in Oz, my head went numb for a few days as it wasn't used to being so short after having such long hair, and I was f**kin FREEZING! :cold:
And going to the loo didn't make any difference :laugh:

I just evil eye the people back who are staring at me! Ya know, give em that hardened biker look....

Dunno if I've got that in me - I'm just too sweet and pure for that though :innocent::whistle:

The real question for helmet hair is how tight are your leathers? :whistle:

The real distraction.

If they were tight in any shape or form, at my size, tis true, no one would give a shyte about my hair, they would be worried about going blind !!! :doctor:

vifferman
26th February 2009, 08:59
This topic has come up very many times before - mostly in the Gurrrrlly Bikers forum, but also in the general raverings one. Just search for "helmet hair".

My wife used to use a product called "Sexy Big Hair", or "Big Sexy Hair" or summat, that supposedly fixed that.
I use a product that's much more effective - takes only 5 minutes, as opposed to the 20 or so that the Sexy of Hairiness takes.
It's called Remington. (Well... it was until last weekend, now it's called Wahl). It's not very sexy, but terrifically effective.

Waxxa
26th February 2009, 10:24
be proud you have Helmet hair...most of the population drive cages and are unlikely to have Helmet hair. makes us bikers unique :scooter:

jim.cox
26th February 2009, 10:40
The only solution I have ever found was a buzz cut with a #2 or less...

And it saves heaps on shampoo, conditioner and care time

No more tangles - ever

Well it works for me :)

McWild
26th February 2009, 19:10
Yeah right! You are posting in Biker Angels about your long curly hair :buggerd:

Well it's not going to post about itself!:love:

Danae
14th March 2009, 20:59
I've cut my hair into a bob and I don't think I've had any trouble with helmet hair. I sorta shake it out when I take my helmet off and sneak a peek in the visor at my reflection. LOL.

BuFfY
15th March 2009, 17:15
Helmet hair is the biggest pain. I tend to plait mine when we go for a ride and stuff it down the back of my shirt. Then when we arrive I chuck a few clips in it and it looks fairly decent.
My biggest problem is the bed mark on my forehead after wearing my helmet! Takes awhile for that to go down :o

thehollowmen
15th March 2009, 21:12
I, and people around me that I ride with have often found short cuts, and cuts styled backwards are easier to maintain with a helmet.

One of the sexiest sights I saw was when I gave a friend a ride and she had a light halo of sunset in her long straight hair as it was being patted down after a ride. :drool: Pity I wasn't single at the time :blank:

PrincessBandit
29th March 2009, 13:11
Have to say that removing my helmet is one of the very few times I'm actually thankful I have straight boring hair. When I was young and single my hair was permed and I always dreaded removing my helmet after riding with my boyfriend. Have to say though (as someone else mentioned earlier in the thread) he never once commented on my "clown look" as I called it.
Just practice the sexy head shake while raking your fingers through your hair and that'll be all the distraction necessary!

BuFfY
29th March 2009, 15:29
Have to say that removing my helmet is one of the very few times I'm actually thankful I have straight boring hair. When I was young and single my hair was permed and I always dreaded removing my helmet after riding with my boyfriend. Have to say though (as someone else mentioned earlier in the thread) he never once commented on my "clown look" as I called it.
Just practice the sexy head shake while raking your fingers through your hair and that'll be all the distraction necessary!

Or wear a really low top so that they don't even think of looking up! Not until you have had time to tame it just a little bit!

slydesigns
29th March 2009, 16:32
Buy an ICON Airframe helmet.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/Video.aspx?I=13175-Airframe-Team-Helmet&V=08_Icon_Air_Frame_Helmet.flv

Flick to just before the halfway mark of the vid and the guy mentions the reduction in helmet hair mess with the Airframe.

Ms Piggy
29th March 2009, 16:49

Hey Burtha - short answer: sadly no.

But! Don't despair! Remember you got horrid hair doin something you enjoy (a small price to pay I reckon).

I too have suffered helmet hair and so I re-do my hair when I get to work, I've also adopted a hair style that works a lot better (not that you need to do that of course!).

idb
30th March 2009, 08:26
Ha!
You chicks have it easy!
Try helmet 'burns.
A problem that all South Island (mostly male) bikers have.
It isn't easy to fluff up the mutton chops again after a long day in the saddle, especially if one springs out more than the other.

smoky
30th March 2009, 09:20
My biggest problem is the bed mark on my forehead after wearing my helmet!

So...... just what do you do with your helmet on in bed? Sounds sexy!!

terbang
30th March 2009, 09:23
Shave it off, problem solved :)

I like it when they do that...

Brooke
30th March 2009, 09:24
Curly hair is my all time favourite thing. Of course I got handed the straight as "get fucked if you want me to bend even a little bit" stuff.

Helmet hair is seriously in the eye of the beholder, ie YOU. We all (well us girls do anyway) suffer to some degree from it. Have yet to meet a bloke out riding that says......"Fuck your hair looks disgusting!"

Ignore it is my advice.

If you are really concerned about riding to work and arriving with HH just give yourself a few extra mins when you arive. Keep your hair contained while riding, either in a pony or wrap, brush it out and give it a "gee I look fab" tickle up, and hey presto, you are done.

I agree with Mum, if your hair is long enough nothing a hair tie won't fix. Unless you chop it all off like I did and now I stuffed. Nothing a bit of product doesn't fix though

A_Mans_Ruin
30th March 2009, 11:12
I agree with Mum, if your hair is long enough nothing a hair tie won't fix. Unless you chop it all off like I did and now I stuffed. Nothing a bit of product doesn't fix though

Amen to product!!! I found this awesome spiking shit, and honest my hair is still spikey after I remove the helmet....
I learnt the hard way bobby pins and helmets dont mix so that dusted that idea.....

hmmmm and I also learnt its a waste of half n hour straightning ya dam hair if ya gona be riding!
All the same, amen to product!

Her_C4
30th March 2009, 11:22
hmmmm and I also learnt its a waste of half n hour straightning ya dam hair if ya gona be riding!
All the same, amen to product!

yeah - I found this out the hard way too! I have naturally curly/wavy hair, and when it was a shorter style and I removed my helmet, I always looked like I had been dragged through gorse bush backwards :blank: No amount of product helped at all and the cap was an instant winner (off with the helmet, on with the cap).

Then I got older and my hair got longer I didn't worry about it so much, tying it back with two twisties (one at the top and one at the bottom) and tucking it inside my jacket at the neck, to combat the 'birds nest' look. Now when I straighten my hair and remove my helmet, I am left with indentations all around my head from where the helmet pads and inner have been :laugh:

Everyones hair is different and behaves differently but it's kind of a 'no win' situation really... :doh:

thecharmed01
14th April 2009, 12:25
Hehe being new to biking I havent had to worry about helmet hair but now I have thought about it I am wondering whether a haircut is going to be in order.....
Not sure hair to my waist is such a good idea now, although I guess at least I can tie it up!

Mojito21
14th April 2009, 13:53
Hehe being new to biking I havent had to worry about helmet hair but now I have thought about it I am wondering whether a haircut is going to be in order.....
Not sure hair to my waist is such a good idea now, although I guess at least I can tie it up!

Yeah i used to ride with hair that long... the best way to stop it from becoming a bird nest was to plait it! and then tuck the ends into my jacket otherwise it was all over the show!

thecharmed01
14th April 2009, 13:55
Yeah i used to ride with hair that long... the best way to stop it from becoming a bird nest was to plait it! and then tuck the ends into my jacket otherwise it was all over the show!

Ahhh good idea!!!!!
Gosh I used to plait my hair as a kid hahaha going to feel very weird but sounds like a sensible option or I'll be in the same boat!!!
I found out yesterday on my first ride that I cant tie up in a ponytail cause helmet + ponytail = very sore head.......

Thanks for the tip!!

slofox
14th April 2009, 13:57
My partner is the only one who whinges about my helmet hair...cow

-JT-
14th April 2009, 14:11
My wifes hair looks better after a ride. Easier and a lot more fun than 20 minutes with the straightener.

= shoulder length, slightly wavey

Don't be scared of the clippers though ... can look hot on a girl

allycatz
14th April 2009, 17:59
Do the pony tail at the nape of the neck....I have long hair and it works okay in a low pony

gatch
14th April 2009, 21:23
helmet hair.. is that what you call it when the helmet nibbles away at the hair in the corners of your forehead :innocent:

Solly
14th April 2009, 21:41
I have curly hair .....

Yeah, I have curly hair too.....never quite got it anywhere near a "helmet".....:gob:OMG, maybe I have :innocent:

Burtha
15th April 2009, 10:05
Yeah, I have curly hair too.....never quite got it anywhere near a "helmet".....:gob:OMG, maybe I have :innocent:

american pie gone wrong ?!

perhaps this close ...

buellbabe
20th April 2009, 12:11
Oh Burtha I hear ya loud and clear! I admit to being vain enough to hate having crap hair when the helmet comes off but can offer YOU no advice as my hair is straight.
I got sick of my long hair and got it all chopped off, it looked really cute and sassy when I wasn't on the bike...but the helmet killed it so I bit the bullet and have grown it again.
The problem with long straight hair is that it can just look really lank and lifeless even in a pony-tail but my hairdresser gave me a tip that actually works.
Listen up all you gals with fine straight hair! While your hair is wet hang ya head upside down and spray it with hairspray especially the roots. Then dry as per normal. It gives your hair body AND stops that 2nd day greasy look!

Honestly it works! I arrive on the bike, pull my hairtie out, toss my head or comb with my hands and my hair is full of body ...seriously it works!!!!

FYI: I wash it Monday, Wed and fri, on the days inbetween I rinse it in the shower so as not to get a buildup of product and then I spray it again while its wet... Hope this is helpful :-)

Actually it probably would work on curly hair as well...worth a crack eh?

Burtha
20th April 2009, 14:11
Actually it probably would work on curly hair as well...worth a crack eh?

Just after reading ye blurb was thinking it might be worth having a go. I also have some heat volumiser treatment that does the same sort of thing - gives it boof, but the curls all get squished still.

Its always going to be helmet/bike OR curls I'm afraid.
:crybaby:

1wheel riot
12th August 2009, 22:12
just let it hang

marioc
13th August 2009, 08:45
I'm hearing ya its a bitch alright.
I have now given up the hassle and got the clippers out for a number one all over again

ready4whatever
13th August 2009, 08:47
Ghd .