PDA

View Full Version : Want a V-Twin

Elysium
25th February 2009, 17:07
Well I've decided I want a v-twin to replace the CB900 I currently ride. At this stage I'm weighing up between a Honda VTR1000 or Suzuki SV1000 to replace my current ride. I haven't decided if I want to do a trade-in at a dealer towards a bike or to sell my bike on Trademe and find a bike I like and buy it.

Now since both bikes I'm looking at aint being made anymore I will most likely be looking at used bikes. Now I wouldn't mind some advise on what to look for when looking and trying out these bikes as my knowlege on V-Twins is poor. I have had one test ride on a VTR but wasn't long enough to get a real feel of th bike and at this stage there is no dealer here in Palmy that stock SV1000 so I haven't had the chance to ride one yet.

Cheers.

Crasherfromwayback
25th February 2009, 17:08
Well I've decided I want a v-twin to replace the CB900 I currently ride. At this stage I'm weighing up between a Honda VTR1000 or Suzuki SV1000 to replace my current ride. I haven't decided if I want to do a trade-in at a dealer towards a bike or to sell my bike on Trademe and find a bike I like and buy it.

Now since both bikes I'm looking at aint being made anymore I will most likely be looking at used bikes. Now I wouldn't some advise on what to look for when looking and trying out these bikes as my knowlege on V-Twins is poor.

Cheers.

We still have Black or Blue new SV1000's at $11995.00 + orc mate!

saul
25th February 2009, 17:13

Now since both bikes I'm looking at aint being made anymore I will most likely be looking at used bikes. Now I wouldn't some advise on what to look for when looking and trying out these bikes as my knowlege on V-Twins is poor.

Cheers.

That would be a big list mate.

Could put the Aprillia into that mix and the TLs as well.

I have had two 97 Tl1000s and loved them both, in fact I was fortunate enough to get a ride on one again last Thursday and though it felt quite long the power delivery was yummyyyyyyyyy:clap:

AllanB
25th February 2009, 17:17
Traitor.
May the rear cyliner of your new V-twin launch itself up ya butt. :doh:

But seriously - SV's are still to be found new and NZ is a small country.

Trademe is a bit sad looking for bikes at the moment - there appears to be lots of people desperate to get rid of their rides. Pricing is weird - from wayyyy tooo cheap to very high.

See what you'll get as a trade, on the bright side with new bikes going up so much in price there is a big hole for $10-12k bikes in the dealers, so trades may improve.

As per usual both as good bikes, ride both and take your pick. Search here also as there is a very good post asking your question with lots of honest answers.

AllanB
25th February 2009, 17:22
Found it - heres all ya need to read.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=72776&highlight=sv1000

Also try this one
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=85800&highlight=sv1000

plus a search on KB for SV1000 finds discussions on tyres etc.

Elysium
25th February 2009, 17:30
Traitor.

But seriously - SV's are still to be found new and NZ is a small country.

Trademe is a bit sad looking for bikes at the moment - there appears to be lots of people desperate to get rid of their rides. Pricing is weird - from wayyyy tooo cheap to very high.

That's the thought I had when browsing Trademe, though not many CB900s on there for some reason, and saw a couple of decent year SV1000 going cheap with Yoshi pipes etc... and wondered why they are so cheap?

Traitor.

Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with the Hornet. :) Hasn't given me any grief whats so ever but just decided I wanted a V-Twin now.

Morcs
25th February 2009, 17:37
Theres a black TL1000S on trademe for 9k at the moment. Its mint, black, 10k on the clock, and has a hyperpro rear shock and steering dampener.
at 9k far better value than the very average VTR and SV.

limbimtimwim
25th February 2009, 17:39
++ On the Aprilias.

They are good times, if a little feral.

How much $$s do you want to spend? The new Harley XR1200 is an excellent motorcycle if you want to think outside the square a bit. The KTM SuperDuke may also be worth considering, though I didn't like it much.

Elysium
25th February 2009, 17:49
My dollar range is around $9000 max. Kinda depends how much I get for my bike if I sell it on Trademe or trade it up. I had my bike valued at around $7000 as a trade-in by City Honda but seem to be selling high on Trademe at the moment.

On the TL"Widowmaker" I think I'll skip those as I read up on their history and way too much power then I need.

NighthawkNZ
25th February 2009, 18:09
If you decide on the VTR, get one later than a 02, as it has the bigger tank, better suspesion and a few otther bits and pieces. I personally found the VTR way more comfortable than the SV... others will say that the SV is more comfortable... only you can tell with your riding style position and height and how the bikes are set up...

Dealer
25th February 2009, 18:11
I would recommend the SV1000 over the VTR1000.
Having ridden both, the SV was more comfortable by far. And fuel injected.
I know of 2 guys who went from VTR's to Hornets, not sure why you would want to go the other way.
But at the end of the day it's personal choice, test ride them both, preferably back to back.

Winston001
25th February 2009, 18:12
I'm no expert but like V-twins too. Not too hard at $9000 to find a good bike which will make you happy.

Personally I like Ducati and suggest you look at an ST4 or ST2. Eg http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports/auction-172551940.htm They are not difficult or expensive to maintain and widely enough owned that mechanics are familiar with them.

The Aprilias and SuperDukes are certainly desirable but much rarer and thus experienced mechanics harder to find. Buell are nice too.

SARGE
25th February 2009, 18:16

Cheers.
either bike is a brilliant Vtwin.. i personally would chuck your old one on Tardme.. dealers prolly arent paying much on trades right now.. plus you walk into the dealer with a better bargaining position.. they are most likely strapped for cash and need to roll some folding through the bank.

go in with cash man..

AllanB
25th February 2009, 18:32
Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with the Hornet. :) Hasn't given me any grief whats so ever but just decided I wanted a V-Twin now.

It's that sound eh?

One think I was surprised at on the SV, and I'll be interested in your comment after testing one as a direct comparison with the Hornet. I was surprised at how much I needed to rev it, given its a 'big-twin'. I'd expected to be able to short shift and lug it around a bit but found under 4k pretty uninspiring. Give the engine a bit of head and they respond with ticket inducing enthusiasm. :shit: I wonder if a tooth down on the front sprocket is a common mod?

banditrider
25th February 2009, 18:43

Catch up with me on the Friday night ride dude.

Winston001
25th February 2009, 19:01
It's that sound eh?

One think I was surprised at on the SV, and I'll be interested in your comment after testing one as a direct comparison with the Hornet. I was surprised at how much I needed to rev it, given its a 'big-twin'. I'd expected to be able to short shift and lug it around a bit but found under 4k pretty uninspiring. Give the engine a bit of head and they respond with ticket inducing enthusiasm. :shit: I wonder if a tooth down on the front sprocket is a common mod?

Wouldn't surprise me, it's a standard mod on the superbike Ducatis. And the ST4 (916) also isn't very interested below 4k revs. However it doesn't matter - you just adjust and use the torque from that rev point without noticing.

Morcs
26th February 2009, 10:14
My dollar range is around $9000 max. Kinda depends how much I get for my bike if I sell it on Trademe or trade it up. I had my bike valued at around $7000 as a trade-in by City Honda but seem to be selling high on Trademe at the moment.

On the TL"Widowmaker" I think I'll skip those as I read up on their history and way too much power then I need.

TL is pure grin factor.
With a steering dampener and good suspension, they are very nice and fun to ride.
I did a fair bit to mine, including +4 teeth on the rear, and holy shit then it became a monster - was geared to a genuine 250kph, rather than geared for africa (once saw 280 on the speedo still not tapped out)

test ride the one on tardme. seriously.

pritch
26th February 2009, 14:10
I haven't checked but you may find a Cagiva in your price range...

nudemetalz
26th February 2009, 14:24
I'm suggesting Moto Guzzi's...but then I would 'cause I love my one.

Fatjim
26th February 2009, 15:54
++ On the Aprilias.

They are good times, if a little feral.

Feral? Feral? right thats it, you ain't beating me to the top of the hill tonight laddy!

If you decide on the VTR, get one later than a 02, as it has the bigger tank, better suspesion and a few otther bits and pieces. I personally found the VTR way more comfortable than the SV... others will say that the SV is more comfortable... only you can tell with your riding style position and height and how the bikes are set up...

+1. Ride them both for over 1/2 an hour without stopping. See which one hurts the least! I've had both bikes, and for me the SV was painful after 30 minutes and after 1 hour all I wanted to do was get off the thing. But you may prefer the SV.

Stop mucking around and put your bike on trademe.

Elysium
26th February 2009, 16:02
Feral? Feral? right thats it, you ain't beating me to the top of the hill tonight laddy!

+1. Ride them both for over 1/2 an hour without stopping. See which one hurts the least! I've had both bikes, and for me the SV was painful after 30 minutes and after 1 hour all I wanted to do was get off the thing. But you may prefer the SV.

Stop mucking around and put your bike on trademe.
I will proberly put it on Trademe soon. The bike just needs its third service but gonna wait till next week or the week after as I already spent money getting a new rear tyre and WOF this week, and the fact I'm trying to get rid of my Toyota Celica I don't use anymore as well.

JimO
26th February 2009, 16:51
I haven't checked but you may find a Cagiva in your price range...

nothing wrong with the old TL powered cagiva

Squiggles
26th February 2009, 18:18
TL is pure grin factor.
With a steering dampener and good suspension, they are very nice and fun to ride.
I did a fair bit to mine, including +4 teeth on the rear, and holy shit then it became a monster - was geared to a genuine 250kph, rather than geared for africa (once saw 280 on the speedo still not tapped out)

test ride the one on tardme. seriously.

TL's are pure grin, mines got the ohlins in the rear and handles mint... She's up for sale but at this rate ill end up keeping her (and the other 5? bikes) Scarily easy to reach 200 on though :eek:

piston broke
26th February 2009, 18:39
if you're lookin at a v-twin,
get the real one.:msn-wink::msn-wink:
biased as all hell,
ducati all the way.:first:

mikeey01
26th February 2009, 19:14
Here is four to choose from, let your ears guide you :)

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=1944225&postcount=27

Four V-twins cooling down from the Cherohala Skyway.
First bike is a Monster S2R1000 with Arrows
Second an RC51
Third a Monster S4R with Arrows
Last a Honda Superhawk.

Fatjim
27th February 2009, 07:53
You forgot the clack clack clack of the dry clutch and the $200 extra you have to pay at each service for all the little bits that have broken, and the constant need to put the bloody thing on a battery tender if you don't run it for a couple of weeks otherwise it might not start. Other than that, they look ghey.

Hitcher
27th February 2009, 09:58
Could put the Aprillia into that mix

Particularly the Shiver. It's not a thou, not that that matters.

Woot! 10,000.

Dave C
27th February 2009, 11:07
"+1. Ride them both for over 1/2 an hour without stopping. See which one hurts the least! I've had both bikes, and for me the SV was painful after 30 minutes and after 1 hour all I wanted to do was get off the thing. But you may prefer the SV.".[/QUOTE]

Hmmm - I'm 6'2", weigh about 84kg, and a good day on my SV means a 500k+ blast into the countryside.I've never found the bike even remotely 'painful'. A couple of weeks ago I rode from Auckland to the Whangamomona pub for an overnight stay, and rode back to the smoke the next day. The only pain involved was parking the bike in the garage and going to work the next day....

Dazza
27th February 2009, 13:33
If $9K is your max check out an Aprilia Falco SL1000 or an early RSV or Tuono, but if the budget could stetch a wee bit a 2000-2003 RSVR would be the dogs bollocks :2thumbsup not that there's anything wrong with the Jap twins but I know which one I'd rather have :bleh:

Fatjim
27th February 2009, 13:54
Hmmm - I'm 6'2", weigh about 84kg, and a good day on my SV means a 500k+ blast into the countryside.I've never found the bike even remotely 'painful'. A couple of weeks ago I rode from Auckland to the Whangamomona pub for an overnight stay, and rode back to the smoke the next day. The only pain involved was parking the bike in the garage and going to work the next day....

My point exactly, horses for courses.

boman
27th February 2009, 14:17
I bought an SV put an aftermarket gel seat on her nice and comfy now. You could also throw in a Buell for that matter. When I was looking you could get an XB9r for around $8500.00.

:Punk:

Elysium
27th February 2009, 14:44
Now I see some people here a rabid TL1000 fans and I'm sure it is a fast bike, but after checking one out for sale at AFC motorcycles it has too much of a racing position while the SV have a better riding positon and I aint after top speed.

geoffm
28th February 2009, 09:23
I got a SV a few months back. The new price is hard to beat.
Replacing the bars with the higher ones from F1 Engineering in Hamilton made a huge difference for comfort.
The seat is firm and (some say) a bit narrow towards the front. I thought it was Ok. THere are gel seats on eaby for them.
Have a look on the sv-portal.com board

ynot slow
2nd March 2009, 08:34
Agree with the Honda vs Suzuki 1000twins,they are a different feel,the honda to me felt cramped,the suzuki felt good,and if ya chuck a pillion on she wanted the sv as she felt it was a better pillion position.

Also I was looking at them new at $12000 but non available to try,was offered a vtr to try,but not the same,sure the power etc similar,but we wanted to try comfort wise and for us they were different,even just sitting on them,let alone buying one and finding after a 200km ride it isn't what I(we) wanted due to position,pretty sure the consumers guarantee act states if you change your mind the shop doesn't have to refund,and that could be where it could get sticky.

mashman
12th March 2009, 15:31
Have a look a a Tuono then... same engine as the RSV (albeit about 2 years behind i.e. 2006 > Tuono has 2004 > RSV)... have always been tempted to try one out... but just don't get on with the looks...

LBD
12th March 2009, 16:39
Its the sound and the torque and the narrow motor and the lower engine gyroscopic effects on handling and the better rear end traction and and and ....

And get a 90degree L twin instead of V twin. The L twin is the most naturally balanced configuration...

CookMySock
12th March 2009, 21:10
The L twin is the most naturally balanced configuration...Not that that means much. My v(l)twin shakes itself stupid. Mirrors completely shake into a blur around 5,000rpm. Aint nothin "smooth" about vtwins. Its awesome! LOL.

Steve

LBD
12th March 2009, 21:47
Naturally balanced is not smooth as you know, naturally balance means no need for counter balance shafts and minimal crankshaft balancing....less critical vibes

Gizzit
15th March 2009, 19:51
V Twins ..... are ..... Booooootyfullll !!!!! :first: :niceone: .... and I came off a CB900 ..... to get one !!! Literally !!! lol :eek: :laugh:

98tls
15th March 2009, 19:57
Now I see some people here a rabid TL1000 fans and I'm sure it is a fast bike, but after checking one out for sale at AFC motorcycles it has too much of a racing position while the SV have a better riding positon and I aint after top speed. Ive done plenty of 8/9 hour days on a TL with no problem,i can honestly say that a mates SV is the most uncomfortable bike i have ever had the dis-pleasure to put my arse on.If you were after top speed you would buy neither.

98tls
15th March 2009, 19:59
Naturally balanced is not smooth as you know, naturally balance means no need for counter balance shafts and minimal crankshaft balancing....less critical vibes :niceone:only a Ducati rider could come up with that load of shite.

AllanB
15th March 2009, 20:07
Yep - I must say that I too found the SVs a uncomfortable beast - the bars are too low, seat high and slanted forward. It did not suit my physics at all. The rarer naked version was a lot better.

I still think the rounder lines of the TL and earlier SV650 are more pleasing.

LBD
15th March 2009, 22:54
:niceone:only a Ducati rider could come up with that load of shite.

And as the owner of a 90 degree tewin....would you disagree?

98tls
15th March 2009, 23:07
And as the owner of a 90 degree tewin....would you disagree?
Nope never owned a tewin in my life,bevel drive ducs (read as real Ducatis) a couple of later models (both pieces of characterless shit) but ney never a tewin.Possibly thats why ive missed out on this late model D fondess you lot speak of..note to self next time i am looking for a real one get a tewin.:whistle:

LBD
16th March 2009, 03:21
Nope never owned a tewin in my life,bevel drive ducs (read as real Ducatis) a couple of later models (both pieces of characterless shit) but ney never a tewin.Possibly thats why ive missed out on this late model D fondess you lot speak of..note to self next time i am looking for a real one get a tewin.:whistle:

Yes mate, got that, fat fingers, small keys and rushed typing a tewin make...

Sorry to disapoint with my lack of a real bike, happy with the TL?, just bought an SV 650 K9 for the daughter, I think she will be happy with it.

BTW the pat on the back was for 90 degree twins in general...take a bow

Gizzit
16th March 2009, 09:08
Just as another idea ...... What about the new Gladius ??? around the price ... ?? Just an idea. They look nice. They are an updated SV650 I suppose, but there's

nothing wrong with an SV650 .... especially if the top speed thing isn't an issue .. I reckon they would be a really nice mid size bike ...

98tls
16th March 2009, 09:44
Yes mate, got that, fat fingers, small keys and rushed typing a tewin make...

Sorry to disapoint with my lack of a real bike, happy with the TL?, just bought an SV 650 K9 for the daughter, I think she will be happy with it.

BTW the pat on the back was for 90 degree twins in general...take a bow Not at all mate,course you have a real bike.I reckon your daughter will love the SV,fantastic little bike jesus i wish someone would buy me one.:niceone:

LBD
16th March 2009, 17:05
Not at all mate,course you have a real bike.I reckon your daughter will love the SV,fantastic little bike jesus i wish someone would buy me one.:niceone:

Thats what Daddys are for....She will be needing it soon enough too, some one nicked her car yesterday, a red mazda sport wagon from west harbour...bastards.

She was moving house, car was way up the drive, keys in it...of course, carrying stuff into the house. She came out for another load and....

mikeey01
16th March 2009, 22:54
bevel drive ducs (read as real Ducatis) a couple of later models (both pieces of characterless shit)

Bevel drive dukes as real Ducatis?
Granted the Bevels have character and shall we say attitude? perhaps a lot of heritage too.

Me I prefer something in the early ninties as a daily rider.
For No. 2 I'm erring on the side of a Bevel as a keeper, recommend anyone in particular that's not worth it's weight in gold?

Gizzit
16th March 2009, 23:04
LBD & Mikeyoo1 ...

Off topic/thread takeover !!

The author wanted input into a Honda or Suzuki V twin as a replacement for a CB900 .... nothing to do with the merits, or lack of, ..... of a bevel drive Duc ? or stolen cars ......

:Offtopic: :eek:

Radar
17th March 2009, 07:36
Not that that means much. My v(l)twin shakes itself stupid. Mirrors completely shake into a blur around 5,000rpm. Aint nothin "smooth" about vtwins. Its awesome! LOL.

Steve

My VStrom is smooth enough so that the mirrors are clear at all rpm's.

I do prefer v-twins. Never been a fan of 4's as they sound like blenders, and usually don't have good fuel economy.

The SV650 is made by Hyosung, under license of course. Compare SV's and Hyo 650's - there is a close similarity. Hyo has been making parts for Suzuki for around 30 years. It would be interesting to see if SV's vibrate as much as Hyo's

pritch
17th March 2009, 18:45
Never been a fan of 4's as they sound like blenders,

Mine doesn't! :whistle:

and usually don't have good fuel economy.

Well you have to burn gas to make power, and a V Twin may be only making two thirds the power of an inline four so hopefully it should burn less gas. Generally though most of the inline four owners would probably rather have the performance than the economy.

Until the oil starts to run out anyway...

LBD
18th March 2009, 01:31
Well you have to burn gas to make power, and a V Twin may be only making two thirds the power of an inline four ..

5/6 according to WSBK

davebullet
18th March 2009, 07:03
Twins are for torque. Who wants to be on an unfaired bike at 250kph+? - not me.

pritch
18th March 2009, 09:31
5/6 according to WSBK

I don't think they've got it quite right.

The comparison I used was the BIKE article which wasn't entirely appropriate. The Ducati makes just over two thirds of the power of the 600 Hornet, but then the Duc is a 696.

Close enough for government work.

Winston001
19th March 2009, 14:00
Well you have to burn gas to make power, and a V Twin may be only making two thirds the power of an inline four so hopefully it should burn less gas. Generally though most of the inline four owners would probably rather have the performance than the economy.

Until the oil starts to run out anyway...

If you are only looking at hp figures, that is highly misleading. The more accurate ratio is hp:mass. Two cylinders weigh less than four = less weight to propel your beast down the road.

At the heart of it the only figures which matter (regarding power) are the published quarter mile and 0 - 100kph times. And V-twins do just fine. My mates 1200 Bandit had 125hp and slightly slower quarter mile than my Duke with its 105hp.

Beyond that, the torque curve interests some of us and again, V-Twins excell. Having said that, I acknowledge my 916 motor likes the revs and the torque comes in much higher than I originally expected. No 2000rpm tootling.

vifferman
19th March 2009, 14:42
Never been a fan of 4's as they sound like blenders, and usually don't have good fuel economy.

Mine doesn't! :whistle:
Neither does mine!
It sounds nothing like a blender - more like a V8 cakemixer! :Pokey:
As for fuel economy - it consistently gets around 40-45mpg (5.4-5.2 litres/100km) and that's with fairly thrashy communtering. In comparison, the FahrtSturm (which sounded nothing like a kitchen appliance) could only manage around 30mpg (~8 litres/100km)if I was lucky.

N.E. Weigh, the sound has little to do with the V4ness - it's about the cam drive. The early V4s had camchains, then they went to gear-driven quad cams, with the drive gear in the centre of the camshaft, which was kewl, because they were symmetrical, so you could rotate them lengthways and end up with a twin-twin. In 1998-2001, the VFRs had new engines, with the cam drive gear on the right-hand end of the camshaft, to make the engine block more compact. This also made the engine much noisier, so in 2002, Honda went back to camchains to meet EC noise regulations (same with the VTec: made less intake noise and lower emissions at the rev range testing was done at).

I can't speak for other V4 engines like the Desmosedici or the VMax, coz I dunno.

Radar
19th March 2009, 15:01
As for fuel economy - it consistently gets around 40-45mpg (5.4-5.2 litres/100km) and that's with fairly thrashy communtering.

:niceone: Looks like my next bike may well be a VFR800. Honest - I have had 5 bikes but never a Honda and never a 4 cyl, and I like to try something new. Not that I am keen on changing bikes now, but if I see a VFR at a dealers I will try for a test ride.

vifferman
19th March 2009, 15:09
:niceone: Looks like my next bike may well be a VFR800. Honest - I have had 5 bikes but never a Honda and never a 4 cyl, and I like to try something new. Not that I am keen on changing bikes now, but if I see a VFR at a dealers I will try for a test ride.
:eek5:

Don't doo eeet!! :crazy:

Dave C
19th March 2009, 16:20
Ive done plenty of 8/9 hour days on a TL with no problem,i can honestly say that a mates SV is the most uncomfortable bike i have ever had the dis-pleasure to put my arse on.If you were after top speed you would buy neither.

My theory is that your mate really didn't want a TL rider messing with his SV, so hid a couple of rocks under the seat :shifty::shifty: I recently rode just over 2000k on my SV over three and a bit days, had a ball, and comfy as a sofa. You're right about top end being the forte of the multi's, but the big v-twins are not real sluggish either, and when it comes to winding along roads like the long way from Opotiki to Gisborne, or over Mt Messenger, or Highway 43, they are just sublime.

Elysium
19th March 2009, 16:26

Haven't ridden one yet, but know someone who owns one and from what people have told me they're bloody good bikes. They're very good for touring and at the same time have street appeal, down to the "Ducati" like single swingarm.

But anyway all this talk of Ducati is sure heating up! I aint going to buy a Ducati because a. too expensive to buy (for me that is) b. you have to go to a official Ducati dealer to have work done and there aint many Ducati dealers around, none here in Palmy and closest is Lower Hutt.

No, no I'm going to wait patiently for my bike to either sell on trademe or find a bike locally and trade up. At the moment seems every man and his dog are trying to flog off their bike but no one bidding.

pritch
20th March 2009, 07:10
N.E. Weigh, the sound has little to do with the V4ness - it's about the cam drive.

Eh?

I don't think the cam chain is what's making the music that escapes the Arrow cans...:innocent:

vifferman
20th March 2009, 08:32
They're very good for touring and at the same time have street appeal, down to the "Ducati" like single swingarm.
Say what?!?
Didja know that the VFR had a single-sided swingarm well before Ducati copied it? Unfortunately, because Elf Racing developed it for Honda, Honda was tied in to some sort of licencing contract forever, so the swingarms are almost universally UGLY compared to the much prettier versions made by Triumph, MV, Ducati, and anyone else that can cobble one together.

Eh?

I don't think the cam chain is what's making the music that escapes the Arrow cans...:innocent:
I was saying this in reference to Radar saying he didn't like the sounds of V4s - that they sounded like a blender. Obviously, he was referring to the horrendously loud cam drive noise of the 1998-2001 VFR800s, rather than the sound of a V4 sans mufflers, or fitted with Arrows, Remus, Termignonis, Leo Vinces, or any of the other mufflers that give it that lovely flat drone that everyone seems to think Yamaha invented with the new R1. :rolleyes:

Elysium
20th March 2009, 10:50
Say what?!?
Didja know that the VFR had a single-sided swingarm well before Ducati copied it? Unfortunately, because Elf Racing developed it for Honda, Honda was tied in to some sort of licencing contract forever, so the swingarms are almost universally UGLY compared to the much prettier versions made by Triumph, MV, Ducati, and anyone else that can cobble one together.

I was saying this in reference to Radar saying he didn't like the sounds of V4s - that they sounded like a blender. Obviously, he was referring to the horrendously loud cam drive noise of the 1998-2001 VFR800s, rather than the sound of a V4 sans mufflers, or fitted with Arrows, Remus, Termignonis, Leo Vinces, or any of the other mufflers that give it that lovely flat drone that everyone seems to think Yamaha invented with the new R1. :rolleyes:

Funny enough I was in City Honda today talking to the workshop and some guy was testing out the latest VFR with, Micron pipes I think, and boy you almost think it's a V-Twin from a distance when at good speed but quiet like a inline 4 and at speeds. Not hard to see why they'e very popular.

Hitcher
25th March 2009, 21:38
Obviously, he was referring to the horrendously loud cam drive noise of the 1998-2001 VFR800s

And the ST1300.