PDA

View Full Version : Slow/sluggish tacho - SRX250

jleahy23
25th February 2009, 19:49
Hey All,

Finally got my bike roadworthied and rego'd.

Now, this might not be related to electrical, as its a cable Tacho, sorry if its in the wrong section.

Just noticed something while riding it, the Tacho seems really slow and sluggish to move around. Mostly between 0 - 5k RPM, from 5k - 10k it seems a lot better (not perfect, but better).

Any Ideas???

pete376403
25th February 2009, 20:05
Thats the sort of thing that happens when oil gets up the tacho (or speedo, they are all basically the same inside). The seal at the bottom of the cable fails and oil makes its way up.

You could try pulling the tacho head out and flushing it with solvent (something that doesn't disolve plastic) or take it to an instrument repairer.
Fix the problem with the cable while you're at it

White trash
25th February 2009, 20:22
Or, it could be that a 4 stroke single cyl 250 revs slow and sluggishly :I

Ixion
25th February 2009, 20:58
Compared to what? The SRX instruments were fairly heavily damped, on account of a single cylinder four stroke vibrates a bit. Otherwise, either oil or wtaer has gotten in. Or the cable is rooted.

jleahy23
26th February 2009, 07:05
Compared to what? The SRX instruments were fairly heavily damped, on account of a single cylinder four stroke vibrates a bit. Otherwise, either oil or wtaer has gotten in. Or the cable is rooted.

I have two SRX's. One has no engine and is mostly buggered. The tacho works, but the needle is broken. It revs up fine. If you're really keen to see how slow it is I can record and put on You Tube.

How do I open the tacho up I thought they were a sealed unit.

pete376403
26th February 2009, 16:26
If you have a damaged speedo or tach, practice on that first. You may have to peel back a chrome strip around the front cover, undo screws, look for plastic clips. Just undo things until it comes to bits. Try and remember how it goes back together - if its really complicated make notes.

notme
26th February 2009, 17:20
if you have 2 bikes available, swap the cables and see if that fixes it. If it does, there's your fix right there. If not, swap the tachos - if THAT fixes it, at least you know where the issue is, and if you can't open the tacho yourself at least all you need an instrument shop to do is put a new needle on the tacho.