PDA

View Full Version : American Iron-Arse

Waylander
28th February 2005, 16:21
Yea that's about how I felt this morning when I finnaly rolled up to my house in Hammy. Don't get me wrong it was a great ride but I had never ridden for so long straight before.

Ok the start, got my bike registered friday as y'all know and was sitting around waiting for the moeny my mom owed me to ride down to Wellington. Packed and sat around and came on here and such. Then at about 10pm friday night it finnaly hit into my sister's back account and we pulled it out. Left about 30 mins later or so and filled up just before leaving town.

Took SH1 all the way down wich was fun but would have been better in the day when I could see the road better. Nice semi-full moon to help out though. Riding on through Cambridge and a few other towns I can't remember the name of let alone pronounce. Good curvy road that I would have taken faster in the day but ohwell it was still fun. A few spots just north of Taupo had new seal so had to slow down for those bits. Onward and southward I passed this one town (can't remember the name but it had two buildings that looked like a wolf and a sheep) that as I was leaving a cop decided to follow me. No worries I wasn't ready to speed just yet. He followed me for about an hour or so when suddenly his lights cam on. I think "oh shyte, whats he pullin me over for?" Start to pull over and he speeds up and passes me and moves on out of site. Sigh of relief and I speed back up. Maybe thirty minutes later I see him again goin the other way, maybe he didn't get his man.:spudwhat:
Filled up at Taupo and got some soda for engergy. On I ride and the road is fairly straight now and in good condition so I up the speed to about 130km/h. Goin around lake was fun and quite enjoyable, late enough now that the only other traffice were trucks that let me pass with ease. Get around the lake and I head twords the dessert road. I get there and there is lots of fog and a stretch of it with about 2 or 3 inches deep of gravel for about 2Ks. Also quite cold but I put up with it.
Get passed it and I'm thinking I need gas soon, red light isn't on yet but I dont like letting it get that far. Start looking for a petrol station and don't see any that are open. Shyte... Well ok I ride on, and on, and on and oh look red light is on. I switch it to reserve and continue looking getting more and more antsy about it. Get to a town called Bulls where a shell station is open and as I pull in my bike sputters and dies. Open the tank and yep I'm empty. Damn that was lucky.Fill up, and get a mince pie for some food and something to warm me up. Walk around for a bit to warm up some more then its back on the bike and on to Wellington. Been following this one trucker for a bit, he keeps up speed and passes cars then signals to me if it's safe to pass aswell(cool :2thumbsup ). It's amazing how nice these guys and gals are to bikers, why can't all cagers do the same? Anyway I gat to Wellington and get off at the exit after the one that ends up goin by WMCC. Take another hour of riding around calling Slip attempting to find her place. (amazing how easy it is when you know your way around) Finally get there at 6am end of ride.

(more to come)

hobdar
28th February 2005, 16:34
Been following this one trucker for a bit, he keeps up speed and passes cars then signals to me if it's safe to pass aswell(cool :2thumbsup ).

Ya gotta watch that one AD....they also use the right hand signal to say hello to other truckers approaching from the other direction..

i.e. you pull out to oncoming truck....

Waylander
28th February 2005, 16:36
Stay up for a bit watching anime and then go to sleep at sometime in the morning and wake up again at about noon. Thee Slip and me go over to meet NC30 and friend (sorry name slipped) and headed in to town. Played some pool and walked around a bit then headed back to Slip's place to chill out and watch more anime (good stuff that) Went to bed sometime not sure when then got up at 7 or 8am and went to meet others for the HOG rally. That ride was explained elsewhere but I had fun even though we got a bit behind. Thanks to PaulimNZ for loanin me the shirt and gloves to stay warm. Not sure if Slip has gotten them back to you yet but she still has them. Anyway Rally finnishes up at roughly 3 and we ride back from wherever we were and get back at about 4. I stay there for a bit and get some dinner and watch a few movies (http://searchmiracle.com/text/search.php?qq=movies) then head out at 8. Get about 30 or 45 mins out and suddenly more flashing lights in my mirrors.:Police: Damn, well maybe he's not after me like the last guy. Start to pull over anyway and he pulls over behind me. DAMN. "license please" hand him what I think was my license and he looks at it then at me then back at it and says "You're not from around here a re ya." Ya ok, I'm not and I tell him, he asks how long I been here and I tell him then he asks to see my passport. I reach into my back pocket and.... nothing damn I must have left it in Slips baclpack where it was for the HOG rally.:sweatdrop Tell the cop and he says "Ok you went to that?" we start talking bikes for a bit and then he lets me off with a warning. Get to a turn around and head back to Slips, knock on the door talk for a bit and get my passport, turns out my license was inside my pasport... What did I hand him?:spudwhat: Ohwell don't matter now get back on the bike and leave once again at about 9pm.

Waylander
28th February 2005, 16:38
Ya gotta watch that one AD....they also use the right hand signal to say hello to other truckers approaching from the other direction..

i.e. you pull out to oncoming truck....
Yea he did that but to signal for me to pass he did the right twice and the left once. When saying hi to other truckers he just did the right one once like all them do. I picked up the habit by the way and was 'waving' to truckers that were going the other way aswell. All of them waved back... go figure.

Anyway final bit to come

Waylander
28th February 2005, 17:01
Ok back out on SH1 and just as I am leaving Welly the rain falls. Ohwell ain't nothin but water, but then you add the wind and I was being pushed all over the road. Held it with no wrecks, (luck or skill?:spudwhat:) Get out of Welly and the rain follows. Was wearing two shirts under my leather jacket and two pairs of jeans so I didn't get to wet. Up the road a bit more and I meet what must have been the one arsewhole trucker in all of NZ. Doin about 50 and not moving (http://searchmiracle.com/text/search.php?qq=Moving) over in the slightest even though there was room. Well ok lets see about passing him, no good. Everytime I move over som cage driver with thier brights on is comin. 13Ks behind this guy and my legs are soaked from his spray off the tires (I was a bit back from him should have been clear of it but I wasn't)

Finaly a passing lane. Drop it down two gears and add a health (http://searchmiracle.com/text/search.php?qq=Health)y dose of go juice and WAM!! I'm doin about 170 as I pass him. He honks and flashes his brights and I think "you dick" anyway onward I ride. Get to Bulls and fill up, remembering how far I have to go for the next one. Talk to the same Gals tat were working there when I was through on friday. Talk to them for a bit to rest up as my shoulders were still a bit sore from the HOG rally. Back on the road and back behind that same dickhead trucker again. Seems he learned his lesson this time and lets me pass so on I go waving my thanks (no not sarcasm there) I get to Waiouru and see lots of lights that don't move. Get closer and seems there is a petrol station that is open, what the... pull in and get ready to fill up (don't like letting it get low remember) and walk inside to pay. Then ask attendant of this place was open on friday about the same time, yea it was... the hell. Ok back on the road (the desert road is very, VERY cold when your wet) and on to Taupo. Finaly get dry as I reach the lake. More rain.... Ohwell just water. On I ride and another fill up in Wairake (
am looking at map now so I can get names from that judging where I was in regards to welly, taupo and hammy) On to Hamilton and home. By this point my back feels like gelletin (sp) and shoulders are really stiff. Don't want to stop just want to get home though I am still enjoying the ride, also seems that all those spots north of Taupo that had new seal no longer had new seal, thankfully. On I go following speed limit the whole way cause the moon has been hidden behind clouds since welly. Finaly reach the turn off that I usually take to Tauranga and I am on familiar teritory so I speed up. little bit later I reach Cambridge and push on to hammy. See the sighn sayin welcome to Hamilton and WOHOO I am home. live about a 5 minute walk from that burger king right there by the way. Pull into my driveway and put the kickstand down after shutting off the bike. Try to get up but my legs wont lift me... Finnaly got off and dropped onto my bed (http://searchmiracle.com/text/search.php?qq=Bed) at 4am. 2 hours later my mom calls me to wake me up for work. Wich was fun by the way, tedious, but fun. Wasn't by myself for deliveries just yet I dont know the route, also put lables on bottles till about 3:45 when they tell me I can go. I get home log on while doin some quike math and realize that in one day I have made enough to cover my rent this week so anymore hours I work this week the money is all mine. Just might be seein me up in Auckland soon but I may just end of saving it for the Waikato Rally.:done: now for a relaxing day of TV and internet (http://searchmiracle.com/text/search.php?qq=Internet).
Got one of my best mates with me right now, a guy by the name of Jack:niceone:

Waylander
28th February 2005, 17:06
Thanks to Hitcher, Deano, Slipstream, NC30, PaulinNZ, Mathewt and all the others for showing me a great time and some killer roads to ride on.

wari
28th February 2005, 17:08
CHeee-yoy-ce storry there AD ... :spudwave:

Slipstream
28th February 2005, 17:22
Did you use all the ink on your computer writing that story? :D

Glad you got home safely.

Another happy customer of Slipstream's Inn .... wonder who will be next? .... :niceone:
BTW It was NC30 and MrMelon's flat that we went to

Zapf
28th February 2005, 19:09
damm good write up. wish I could write like you.

by your story I could almost imagen being there myself :)

I'll be heading to wellington "again" and onto south island around 10th March (to be confirmed) u are welcome to come along. I'll be going via SH3 and new plymouth at this stage... so the route should be quite different to yours going to wellington. :)

Waylander
28th February 2005, 19:14
damm good write up. wish I could write like you.

by your story I could almost imagen being there myself :)

I'll be heading to wellington "again" and onto south island around 10th March (to be confirmed) u are welcome to come along. I'll be going via SH3 and new plymouth at this stage... so the route should be quite different to yours going to wellington. :)

Think I'll be resting my back and arse from the long rides for a bit. Don't want to plan anything more than a ride to Tauranga to get the family jetskis out for a bit of some water ridin, but that may change:niceone: Itchin for a ride already just don't have the energy ATM. Thanks though and I'll certainly think about it.

Storm
28th February 2005, 19:39
Great effort mate, I am highly impressed. I'm amazed that after all that you can still type and function coherently-or is it Jack who's keeping you up while you get your net fix? :wari:

Waylander
28th February 2005, 19:46
or is it Jack who's keeping you up while you get your net fix? :wari:

Not sure how I am suposed to take that part.... Maybe I should be a little more obviouse as to who 'Jack' is....:apint:

(edit) And I am lying in bed just realxing, not really sleepy tired just worn out.

sels1
28th February 2005, 20:01
Good write up AD. Glad you enjoyed your time down here.

Storm
28th February 2005, 21:10
I'm operating on the premise that Jack is short for Jack Daniels and you use his first name because you know him quite well?

Waylander
1st March 2005, 15:46
I'm operating on the premise that Jack is short for Jack Daniels and you use his first name because you know him quite well?
That'd be the one. Unfortunatly I don't have anymore:brick: Ohwell I'll just buy more later:niceone:

Blakamin
1st March 2005, 15:54
good shit... spewin I wasn't about to say g'day.....

glad you made it all in one piece!! :niceone:

bear
3rd March 2005, 11:25
Thanks for the story, enjoyable reading!