PDA

View Full Version : What exactly is "eligible to work in NZ"?

mujambee
28th February 2009, 08:42
I've seen a lot of job offers that end with a disclaimer that goes like:

You must be eligible to work in NZ to apply for this role.

Does that mean that I need to have a resident's visa or just that I could qualify if need be?

I ask this because unless I get a job offer I can only claim 115 points on my EOI, so I'll need to be extremely lucky to get past the pool.

P.S.: Yes, I know this fits better in a migration forum, but I feel much more confortable among bikers. ;)

Slyer
28th February 2009, 08:44
We're much better looking too.
No answer to your question though. :D

mujambee
28th February 2009, 08:47
We're much better looking too.

all that tight-fitting leather . . .

Okey Dokey
28th February 2009, 08:53
I don't know the governmental answer, but it seems to me that if you applied and explained that you would be eligible were they to offer you the job then that would be fine.

Mom
28th February 2009, 08:57
It is always worth applying for these jobs mate. If they can not be filled from NZ applicants there is a good chance you will be allowed to apply for a work permit and come to NZ to work. I have seen this work really well for a Hungarian fella who came to work in a joinery factory. We could not find a suitable applicant from NZ, he applied and fit the bill. We endoresed his application for a work permit and heypresto he was in. It took him a bit over 2 years and a heap of money but was granted residency late last year.

You would have to be in NZ though for this to work.

mujambee
28th February 2009, 09:14
It is always worth applying for these jobs mate. If they can not be filled from NZ applicants there is a good chance you will be allowed to apply for a work permit and come to NZ to work. I have seen this work really well for a Hungarian fella who came to work in a joinery factory. We could not find a suitable applicant from NZ, he applied and fit the bill. We endoresed his application for a work permit and heypresto he was in. It took him a bit over 2 years and a heap of money but was granted residency late last year.

You would have to be in NZ though for this to work.

Did he fit in the "skilled professionals"? I'm a mechanical engineer working on IT, so I know I readily fill in the "skilled professionals" category. I understand that it takes from 3 to 6 months to get a permit when you have experience in a shortage area, but my problem is that I got my degree in a Spanish university, and Sp and NZ don't directly accept each other's degrees.

rainman
28th February 2009, 10:11
I don't know the governmental answer

Wouldn't think it's an official "governmental" thing, just shorthand for employers/agents saying "we don't want to have to go through the hassle of helping you through your work permit".

There's a lot of reluctance among many employers about taking on overseas staff. It's harder to assess qualifications, hard to get references for language and cultural reasons, the employee will take longer to adjust to NZ work habits and may need more time to settle in generally... so some people just opt out of all that. Employers aren't that motivated to employ at the moment either, what with the recession on. Why make it harder? And if the candidate is overseas, even worse. I've done lots of overseas recruiting, and had more than my share of time-wasters.

I'm trying to interview a guy based in Kuwait at the moment and I have to admit it is a PITA. Although I'm in the process of working with another guy who, although he isn't here yet, has local phone numbers, is current with the local news, and is making the process easy. Guess which one I want to hire?

mujambee
28th February 2009, 10:25
Wouldn't think it's an official "governmental" thing, just shorthand for employers/agents saying "we don't want to have to go through the hassle of helping you through your work permit".

There's a lot of reluctance among many employers about taking on overseas staff. It's harder to assess qualifications, hard to get references for language and cultural reasons, the employee will take longer to adjust to NZ work habits and may need more time to settle in generally... so some people just opt out of all that. Employers aren't that motivated to employ at the moment either, what with the recession on. Why make it harder? And if the candidate is overseas, even worse. I've done lots of overseas recruiting, and had more than my share of time-wasters.

I'm trying to interview a guy based in Kuwait at the moment and I have to admit it is a PITA. Although I'm in the process of working with another guy who, although he isn't here yet, has local phone numbers, is current with the local news, and is making the process easy. Guess which one I want to hire?

So if I read you correctly, your advice would be no to apply unless I'm pretty sure I'll overkill three times over. Right?

Currently I'm just trying to get the feel of the country, learning as much as I can of it and figuring out how much I'd need to earn there just to make the move possible. I'm planning on a trip there on June/July to see it firsthand, so as you can see this is going to take time. But if just from the beggining I deem it impossible I may just start looking elsewhere.

BTW, what kind of applicants are you looking for ;)

rainman
28th February 2009, 10:34
So if I read you correctly, your advice would be no to apply unless I'm pretty sure I'll overkill three times over. Right?

Currently I'm just trying to get the feel of the country, learning as much as I can of it and figuring out how much I'd need to earn there just to make the move possible. I'm planning on a trip there on June/July to see it firsthand, so as you can see this is going to take time. But if just from the beggining I deem it impossible I may just start looking elsewhere.

Depends on your skills and the specifics of the job sector you're looking for - I only really know the part of the market I'm looking at - but generally if the employer is saying "NZ ready only" it's for a reason. Feel free to apply - you have to be in to win - but be realistic about your chances.

BTW, what kind of applicants are you looking for ;)

Very, very, very, senior Unix/Storage infrastructure wizards. Maybe.

mujambee
28th February 2009, 10:43
Depends on your skills and the specifics of the job sector you're looking for - I only really know the part of the market I'm looking at - but generally if the employer is saying "NZ ready only" it's for a reason. Feel free to apply - you have to be in to win - but be realistic about your chances.

Fact is that many of those offers state that they are happy to recruit overseas, but you have to blah blah blah

Very, very, very, senior Unix/Storage infrastructure wizards. Maybe.

Had to try ;)

mujambee
28th February 2009, 11:00
I believe that, despite my expertise (and I am an expert), my best bet would be languages, Spanish is my native language and I can also use Portugese, and am able to read French and Italian.

Tank
28th February 2009, 11:16
If you currently dont have the 'rights' to work in NZ already then applying directly to roles may not work out - as employers may think it too hard and too much work (unless you really are filling a niche role).

I would recommend good agencies depending on what kind of work you are looking for.

We often hire skilled folk from o/seas and 90% of them we get via agencies as it does help make the process easier.

Jiminy
28th February 2009, 11:41
It's generally there to discourage non-serious applications. Feel free to apply, but you won't have much chance to get the job, especially if you are not in the country. And know the procedures for getting a permit to show that a-it's easy and b- the company won't have much to do.

Keyword-skills here work best (Java, Unix, etc). Titles or general skills won't help, neither will languages (unless you are really really lucky).

Also, in my experience, a lot of job agencies post ads for jobs that are not confirmed yet in the odd chance that the position gets created at the right time. So contacting companies either directly or through friends/conferences/etc. works better.

If you have a Spanish university degree, you should be able to get it rated by NZQA to the equivalent NZ university. I don't know the process, though.

Good luck

YellowDog
28th February 2009, 12:04
mujambee - The advice you have been given about talking to agencies is an excellent one. I came to NZ on a six week holiday. I wasn't looking for a job. My wife got a job so I thought I would look also. The agency presented me as someone able to work in NZ. I got the job and they then sorted out a 2 year work visa for me in a matter of 3 days. I was amazed how much influence they have with the relevant government bodies. We had already applied for PR and understood that you could not apply for a work visa whilst your PR application was being assessed. This was not the case at all. It may not now be as easy as it was 2 years ago. The other option to consider is a 'Work to Residency Visa'. Provided you find a job this is a lot easier and you don't have to worry about being 'fished out of a pool' with less points than you would like.

You are doing the right thing by coming out here as you will get a chance to get a good look and feel for the place. Perhaps you will also be able to attend some job interviews. Regarding your English, it appears to be better than 90% of the posters on this board, so no worries there :-)

The only problem I see is that you are coming to NZ at the worst time of the year and may get put off. The standard comforts Europeans take for granted are not so common out here. In saying that, everything you would need to be comfortable is available so noone is going to stop you living with the comforts you are used to.

Good luck.

firefighter
28th February 2009, 12:12
you need to be black, and /or from the islands, with no real intent on working, just bludging from the dole. If your white and with a trade-sorry N.Z does'nt want you.....(I have real examples of this should anyone out there doubt it)

Mom
28th February 2009, 12:24
Did he fit in the "skilled professionals"? I'm a mechanical engineer working on IT, so I know I readily fill in the "skilled professionals" category. I understand that it takes from 3 to 6 months to get a permit when you have experience in a shortage area, but my problem is that I got my degree in a Spanish university, and Sp and NZ don't directly accept each other's degrees.

No, he did not come in as a skilled professional, although he did have a non recognised Trade. He put nose down bum up and completed a NZQA diploma course while he worked for us. I dont actually remember all the ins and outs, but do remember it was a lengthy process for him.

mujambee
28th February 2009, 19:51
Also, in my experience, a lot of job agencies post ads for jobs that are not confirmed yet in the odd chance that the position gets created at the right time. So contacting companies either directly or through friends/conferences/etc. works better.

I've experienced that here, a company got me around for three months, no end of interviews and tests, and in the end the only answer I got was "Thank you for your time, if we gather the money to start the project we will call you".

If you have a Spanish university degree, you should be able to get it rated by NZQA to the equivalent NZ university. I don't know the process, though.

My only concern there is that my degree should give me the 15 extra pts on my EOI that could put me trough, I don't expect any trouble with employers.

The advice you have been given about talking to agencies is an excellent one. I came to NZ on a six week holiday. I wasn't looking for a job. My wife got a job so I thought I would look also. The agency presented me as someone able to work in NZ. I got the job and they then sorted out a 2 year work visa for me in a matter of 3 days. I was amazed how much influence they have with the relevant government bodies. We had already applied for PR and understood that you could not apply for a work visa whilst your PR application was being assessed. This was not the case at all. It may not now be as easy as it was 2 years ago. The other option to consider is a 'Work to Residency Visa'. Provided you find a job this is a lot easier and you don't have to worry about being 'fished out of a pool' with less points than you would like.

It looks the way to go, if they are able to do that they may be able to sort out any problem.

Regarding your English, it appears to be better than 90% of the posters on this board, so no worries there :-)

Well, thanks. I try to keep it as correct as I can. I have some english friends and know how it sounds in spanish, so I try not to make their same errors when using english.

The only problem I see is that you are coming to NZ at the worst time of the year and may get put off.

We are doing it on purpose. I'd rather get put off before I start than leave job here and spend a truckload of money just to find out that I don't like it there.

No, he did not come in as a skilled professional, although he did have a non recognised Trade. He put nose down bum up and completed a NZQA diploma course while he worked for us. I dont actually remember all the ins and outs, but do remember it was a lengthy process for him.

That's exactly the problem I foresee here, not having my degree accepted and being demerited for that.

AD345
28th February 2009, 20:48
I've seen a lot of job offers that end with a disclaimer that goes like:

You must be eligible to work in NZ to apply for this role.

Does that mean that I need to have a resident's visa or just that I could qualify if need be?

I ask this because unless I get a job offer I can only claim 115 points on my EOI, so I'll need to be extremely lucky to get past the pool.

P.S.: Yes, I know this fits better in a migration forum, but I feel much more confortable among bikers. ;)

I use it all the time.

It means that if you don't have a work permit or visa that allows you to work in NZ then please don't apply as I don't have the time to help you out

AD345
28th February 2009, 20:52
Whups - forgot a bit

I generally use it for ads placed on the net cos there's replies from all over the world

portokiwi
1st March 2009, 10:15
Just remember if you apply for a work permit... if you fly out of the country you will have to reaply all over again.
Best bet it to apply stright for a work visa that way you have the freedom to come and go.
Look up where your nearest NZ embersey is in the E.U. Apply from there it could stop any problems later on.
When you are here and you apply for residence it can take at least 18 months.
Makes it harder after you have been here 15 months and you are looking for a new job.... (my fault getting job in Wellington) when you only have 8-9 months left on your visa, other firms are not that keen.
Easy to renew just the waiting process.
Yes like you my wife speeks Portuguese, Spanish, French and Italian.
Did not help her in anyway.
She was educated in the UK and finished in Portugal.

Jiminy
1st March 2009, 12:00
My only concern there is that my degree should give me the 15 extra pts on my EOI that could put me trough, I don't expect any trouble with employers.

Check with NZQA, you should be able to get your degree assessed and get the extra points. It's a bit of paperwork, but it shouldn't be too hard.

mjvduc
1st March 2009, 15:35
done it back in 2004 and the procedure has not changed much…..

work visa is the best and quickest way to get in the country, downside you need to have a job before you can apply for a work visa. It takes up to 6 weeks but keep in mind you have to have a signed contract in your hands, passport and if you have kids and a wife, birth certificates as well. It is not much hassle for both parties if the contract is limited to 2 years and the employer has the right to employ you (proving no kiwi is available for the time being).

Once the work visa is issued you have 3 months time to enter NZ and permit is granted on the spot, just tell your embassy you have to do oversea trips regularly and they will grant you a multiply entry permit (come and go anytime you want without any additional paperwork).
Your wife will be granted a visitor visa for the length of your stay, kids the same, if the kids are in school age go for a study visa.

That's the best and quickest as you don't have any hassles finding a panel doctor or any other hassle with getting a permanent job. You may have to visit NZ and run through a couple of interviews before someone will take you on board; economy has changed and will go worse during the next 1 to 2 years.

If you want to apply for the residence right away you will struggle if you don't have enough points and everything has to be sorted before you enter NZ including health reports, translation of all your documents and you have to have your overseas diploma approved by NZQA. You can submit your application once you are gained 95 points but to be realistic you need at least 145 points to have the residency granted (without job offer) and 135 with an offer in your hand. The process will take up to 6 months and once issued you have up to 1 year if I remember correct to enter NZ and take up work.

Some stuff on the private side, you will have a culture shock no matter how you're doing or going. Your wife will suffer more than you and it will be not easy to adjust, we are struggled a lot especially as I was joining a very old fashion company and they gave me a hard time, pay was comparable sh^it, working hrs long as everything was not up to date and the weather isn't always that good. You need to stay at least one year to appreciate this beautiful country, we made the mistake to pack everything after 2 years and I binned the residence one week after we have been given the go from the immigration officer.

Good luck

mjv

mujambee
3rd March 2009, 12:15
Problem with visas is that there is a time limit. I know that there is ample time to get a permanent residence before any of those expires, but there is the risk that something goes wrong and we may find ourselves beached in NZ, with no option to work there and no job back in Europe. I would gladly accept that risk if it were for myself, but we have to small children and can't afford the risk.

We believe it must be PR from the beggining, anything short of that would be an inacceptable risk for our family.

So if we finally decide to go ahead with this, we will try to find a way to secure that PR before we apply for a job.

Anyhow, contacting agencies looks a sound advice, we will contact some on our visit to Auckland.

Thanks people.

mjvduc
4th March 2009, 01:20
Point taken, but having work and being in the country will boost you points rocket high and you will get the residency easily. We made the same move and our youngest was just 3 months old, once in the country and established it is easy to change the job if needed (all depending on your skills) as most Europeans are very welcome.

Just go for it brother………we would

mjvduc

Argyle
1st June 2009, 18:00
To get residency in the country you need qualifications, there's no other way mates.
You need a job on the short/long term list to just get a 2year work visa.

Lucky my fiance is a radiographer and I'm sponsored, but i got a shit job anyway. Working as a stud groom and the hours are relay bad and the payment compared to the hours are shit.

But I'm going to study to a nurse soon so things will get better after that's done. Sweden pays my education :bleh:

popelli
1st June 2009, 18:07
forget abour the "eligible to work in NZ"

most adverts also state "must have 3 years nz work experience" to effectively lock out foreigners

your best bet is to head for europe where there are far more open attitudes and the money is over double what you can make in NZ

I have thought about returning to NZ many times but the prospect of a 50% cut in income coupled with a 6 month stint on the dole whilst trying to find work in nz (been there done that twice) put me off

fredie
6th June 2009, 21:36
whats the story regarding an aussie comming over the ditch . my belief is i can just land and start working .is this right??

Beeza
13th June 2009, 22:45
If you have a "firm job offer" from a NZ firm, NZ Immigration will issue you with a restricted work permit allowing you to work ONLY for that company. You can't come in, decide it's a pretty crap job and resign to look around for a better one. After 3 months on your restricted work permit, you can apply for a Permanent Resident's Permit. Once you've got that piece of paper, you CAN switch jobs anytime you like, and your whole family immediately automatically qualifies for permanent residence too. And you all are even able to vote in the next local and national elections. Five years later you can apply to become a NZ citizen and bear a NZ passport.

Jantar
13th June 2009, 22:51
whats the story regarding an aussie comming over the ditch . my belief is i can just land and start working .is this right??
Pretty much right. An aussie has automatic rights to live and work in New Zealand unless you have serious criminal convictions.