PDA

View Full Version : Adding RAM to computer? Help.

Taz
1st March 2009, 17:01
Hi I have jammed another 128MB SDRAM stick in the kids computer (using a spare slot) It still only registers that there is only 128MB RAM. What am I doing wrong?? Is there some setting or jumper that needs to be changed??
Thanks in advance
Andy.

discotex
1st March 2009, 17:20
RAM often has to be added in pairs.

Or the MB can't handle it.

Or it's fried from static.

And to answer your question there's generally no jumpers etc involved in a RAM upgrade.

awayatc
1st March 2009, 17:43
also it needs to be same speed ram.....

GOONR
1st March 2009, 17:46
Hi I have jammed another 128MB SDRAM stick in the kids computer (using a spare slot) It still only registers that there is only 128MB RAM. What am I doing wrong?? Is there some setting or jumper that needs to be changed??
Thanks in advance
Andy.

If it still shows that there is 128MB and you have added 128MB then I guess that the pairs don't match. There are a zillion different types of RAM (well maybe not that many but you get my drift) get all of the details off the original 128MB stick that is in the Pc and working, post them here, not promising anything but ya never know.

One thing to try is to remove the original memory and replace it with the new one, same slot... If the Pc boots then you know that the new memory is working, just might not be compatible with the one that you already have.

3umph
1st March 2009, 18:07
depends on age of PC if you have to add ram in pairs...

is there 2 slots already full and you have put 1x 128 in a spare slot???

also speed has to be the same when adding ram... and parity on some types of ram as well

if only had 128mb of ram I take it is an older pc

Taz
1st March 2009, 18:19
one 128mb ram in one slot. Put another in spare slot. Not matching pairs but both 133mhz?

Yes older pc.

Taz
1st March 2009, 18:41
Ok pulled them out to get the specs off them and reinstalled them both. Restarted and now have 256MB Ram!!! Woo Hoo the kids computer is now into the nineties!! Even got wireless broadband to it and put the Geforce2 vid card out of the broken PC and into this one. That'll keep them happy for another year (maybe). They are only 9 (girl) and twin 6yo boys.

Thanks all but it seems I had not installed the other stick properly..... preytty easy not to eh :o Think I'll stick to rebuilding engines as that's much easier :)

GOONR
1st March 2009, 18:53
Ok pulled them out to get the specs off them and reinstalled them both. Restarted and now have 256MB Ram!!! Woo Hoo the kids computer is now into the nineties!! Even got wireless broadband to it and put the Geforce2 vid card out of the broken PC and into this one. That'll keep them happy for another year (maybe). They are only 9 (girl) and twin 6yo boys.

Thanks all but it seems I had not installed the other stick properly..... preytty easy not to eh :o Think I'll stick to rebuilding engines as that's much easier :)

Wicked, hope your kids enjoy!

Taz
1st March 2009, 19:34
Got a flickering problem with youtube on this PC tho..... Any idea's?

davebullet
1st March 2009, 19:52
What O/S are you running. What type / speed CPU? With an upgraded vid card, you shouldn't get any display flicker / issues.

discotex
1st March 2009, 19:59
If it was me I'd install the latest video card drivers and flash player.

Taz
1st March 2009, 20:03
Got the latest flash player but the Geforce2 400 doesn't seem to be supported by the Nvidia guys in the way of drivers these days. Please prove me wrong.

Smokin
1st March 2009, 20:08
Nvidia drivers are backwards compatable to support all there old cards.

Lias
2nd March 2009, 11:15
Got the latest flash player but the Geforce2 400 doesn't seem to be supported by the Nvidia guys in the way of drivers these days. Please prove me wrong.

You can get drivers for them, you just have to look a bit harder.

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
Select "Legacy" for "Product Type"
Select "Geforce2 MX Series" for "Product Series"
Select "Geforce2 MX/MX400" for "Product"
Select OS, Language, click search.

Voila you should have drivers.

Nvidia drivers are backwards compatable to support all there old cards.

Not always true, and where the new drivers DO support older cards, it's often buggy and almost never WHQL'd. Most of the time for older cards, your best bet is to go back and find the most recent release which is still WHQL'd for your card.