PDA

View Full Version : Also need a job

Antallica
29th September 2003, 11:16
I think I might dump the IT industry and find something in the motorcycle area,

Anyone know any jobs going in Auckland with any motorcycle shops??... I want to work on the buggers seeing as they are my new found love, Basically an apprentice position or similar.

I have no previous experience on them apart from the odd fairing replacement (don't ask ;) ) But am very keen on getting stuck in.
I am also an A+ Certified Professional in the IT industry, but that doesn't really mean dick in the automotive industry does it ;)

Cheers.

Firefight
29th September 2003, 12:19
Ant, does it have to be weilding spanners ?:cool: I know of a place that have just lost there parts man, any good ? PM me 4 details.

firefight:rockon:

Antallica
29th September 2003, 13:15
Parts man you say... I'll have a think about that... would be nice to get to Aucks so I can be closer to the KB events.

Antallica
29th September 2003, 13:25
Doesn't have to be in the motorcycle area either, just something you guys might have heard or know of. I'm proving too expensive for mum to keep in the house. I need to vacate asap to Whangaparoa or flat in Aucks.

Any position considered.

bluninja
29th September 2003, 14:21
Originally posted by Antallica
Any position considered.

Sounds like a girl I once knew:D

Good luck with the jobhunting.

TTFN

Kwaka-Kid
30th September 2003, 00:04
Blu i swear you are just one of a kind! whats done it? you just keep whippin up these 1 liners 'sif you came fresh from a faulty towers scene! hahaha... and funny how they are always leaned towards sex...  darn adult jokes :( i never get them... hahah

Antallica
30th September 2003, 00:14
Originally posted by bluninja
Sounds like a girl I once knew:D

There's always a smartarse! :niceone:

... not that I'm complainin' ;)

jrandom
30th September 2003, 09:26
I think I might dump the IT industry and find something in the motorcycle area,

Anyone know any jobs going in Auckland with any motorcycle shops??... I want to work on the buggers seeing as they are my new found love, Basically an apprentice position or similar.

Yer fecking nuts, matey. At the rates you'll get doing that, you'll be spending all day working on bikes you wish you could afford and going home at night to change the oil on your crapped-out GS500 or summat.

The IT industry sucks, I know, when you're doing nothing but running cables through walls and installing Windows. Go back to uni part-time, get an engineering degree, get a job you'll actually enjoy. In 10 years time you'll have a Ducati in the garage :p

Kwaka-Kid
30th September 2003, 11:27
nah ant, it aint all that bad, theres so much more then IT.   IT Sucks! Rebel against your parents, join the club and fuck uni :p  hahahaha! im a nasty piece of work :D

well dude i say just have a wee listen to everyone and if you still feel so storngly about doing it, then DO IT! dont go IT just because everyone is jumping up and down about the money etc.

I deceided against IT and im still happy with everything.. altho odly enuf i have still ended up in IT? hmm.. strange how that happens.. but i will endevour to push away from it yet again soon as i dont fancy sitting infront of computers all day etc... meh, my problem is i lvoe bikes but i know if i worked on them 40+hours a week i might burn out my hobbie.. thats another issue you want to consider.

Marmoot
30th September 2003, 17:33
Heh? Get out of IT?
I'm trying to get INTO IT and I couldn't get a decent break at all.
Can we swap?

Antallica
30th September 2003, 19:15
Looks like things are picking up.... I'm now a casual worker for a good reputable PC company (small operation).

So all I need is another part time job to fill in the blanks and give me a more stable source of income.

w00t :D

haha I only need to walk 150m to get to work :niceone:

georgedubyabush
30th September 2003, 19:39

haha I only need to wank 150m to get to work :niceone:

errrr??? Is that in the job description?

Nouseforaname
30th September 2003, 19:54
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

haha I only need to wank 150m to get to work
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where can i get one of those jobs:D ?

Seriously...... money aint everything, sure it helps, but it aint everything. I make ok money but im miserable as fuck at work, id happily take a massive pay cut to be in a better job.

Antallica
30th September 2003, 20:04
Oh shit, my bad!

Or is SpankMe having a bit of fun :o

:o :o :beer:

Big Dog
30th September 2003, 22:47
Perhaps you could combine your knowledge of computers and your newfound love for motorcyles and learn how to do refuelling and e-proms? Just a thought as I know people who just do that for a living as they make more money with less cost than working in a workshop...

Just a thought as this angle may make you more desirable for a apprentice.

Big Dog
30th September 2003, 22:49
PS. does any one no of a apprentice style IT job?

Hoon
1st October 2003, 10:17
Apparently theres meant to be a bit of a glut in the IT sector at the moment, if there is I'm yet to see it as I'm busier now than I've ever been (8 years in IT now)

I hear of a lot of people who have decided on a career in IT but can't get their foot in the door because they don't have the experience.  One of the biggest reasons is because they are setting their sights too high and try for system/network admin roles.

You need to start small i.e. Helpdesk/phone jockeys or Graveyard shift operators who change backup tapes and watch out for flashing red lights.  The next step up is Desktop support where you build PCs and fix peoples printing probs etc.

The number of job applications we see from A+, MCP's fresh off a course with no exp is astounding.  These people expect us to unleash them on our 100+ server, 1000+ user environments with total responsibility!!  I don't think so! 

So yep, start small, work hard and the bigger opportunities with materialise.

Kwaka-Kid
1st October 2003, 10:48
HO-Hoon  iasure you its hard enuf to start small and get into a help desk style role.. i was looking into that a while back and doing my MCSE etc etc and didnt get anywhere. trust me dude helpdesk role = even settling for a mesaly 25K a year or somthing to start with is hard az... its not what you know its who you know... that is about the biggest thing i have learnt about getting jobs etc in the last 2 odd years of my life... all mine have been scored by who i know and and have hooked up a mate for my jobshare etc etc... so i reckon half the friggin helpdesk roles etc that are advertised are sewen up already etc with cuzins of higher up dudes etc etc.

duckman
1st October 2003, 11:14
I've been working in IT for ...er....about ....11 years now and the only good thing is the money. The work is soul destroying, the hours suck and the responsibility is un-nerving. BUT on the weekend I head out to my garage and start up the bike and it makes it all worthwhile.

Many times I've thought about leaving but as I'm unqualified to do anything but my job I would have to start at the bottom again and thats just tooooooo hard.

:done:

DeanOh
1st October 2003, 15:30
Originally posted by duckman
I've been working in IT for ...er....about ....11 years now and the only good thing is the money. The work is soul destroying, the hours suck and the responsibility is un-nerving. BUT on the weekend I head out to my garage and start up the bike and it makes it all worthwhile.
Many times I've thought about leaving but as I'm unqualified to do anything but my job I would have to start at the bottom again and thats just tooooooo hard.
:done:

Wholly crap...its my twin....I so want out of computers. but wtf would I do. male stripper ? na, the size of me dong scares the girls. :)
I tell ya, the days of IT workers having 3 hour liquid lunches, earning huge money are over. Today its work work work.
The money has changed over the last 3-4 years. Im earning
10-15 grand less now than i was then.
:angry2:

Lou Girardin
1st October 2003, 16:14
150 metre wank to work. Hmmm, assuming a penis length of 150mm thats 100 strokes. Shit, you wouldn't want to work a full week without some type of lubricant
Lou

Coldkiwi
1st October 2003, 17:52
Originally posted by jrandom

Go back to uni part-time, get an engineering degree, get a job you'll actually enjoy. In 10 years time you'll have a Ducati in the garage :p

mate, I've heard sillier things. Engineering degrees aren't real easy but if you finish it you will find it gives you a big foot in a lot of doors. And if you enjoy it, you should end up on a fairly decent salary (most grads start at 35k) and be able to make some good money too. Some engineering companies will work you as ruthless as the average IT employee but most are a bit better at looking after their staff.

TBH, if you really like bikes and don't want to get stuck in a garage but would rather be involved in the whole range of motorcycling jobs, you could either do a mech eng. course or do the bike mechanics course in upper hutt to give you a tech base you'd need to start. The mech eng would help later on to ride a desk job but you wouldn't get the detail obviously of the mechanics course.

whatever you decide, make sure you enjoy it and don't be afraid to change jobs if you don't.

Big Dog
1st October 2003, 18:37
Originally posted by HO-Hoon
You need to start small i.e. Helpdesk/phone jockeys or Graveyard shift operators who change backup tapes and watch out for flashing red lights.  The next step up is Desktop support where you build PCs and fix peoples printing probs etc.

Thats about what I would like to do. Start out low. The main reason I'm even interested is I would be willing to take a $10K cut to have a little more enjoyment in my job and most of the decent techs I know had no quals before they got their helpdesk jobs.

This is why I refer to an apprentice position. I am sick of not learning anything new at work anymore.... (core reason for being fascinated in IT is that there is always something new to learn)

jrandom
1st October 2003, 19:59
Originally posted by Coldkiwi
whatever you decide, make sure you enjoy it and don't be afraid to change jobs if you don't.

You hit de nail on de head, CK.

After a lot of casting around personally and ending up where I am now, I'm sold on the get-a-degree, get-a-real-job thing. I'm also firmly of the opinion that I'd go nuts doing an 'IT' job. Yuck. Where's the reward? What are you creating? Where's the handiwork that you can proudly remember, years down the track? A network server that doesn't crash? Phbbbbbbtttttt.

No offence to the resident sysadmin types of course :D

No, there are a lot of rewarding careers out there, but you can't just jump into them without qualifications, willy-nilly. Unfortunately, I think many kids leaving school have no idea what they would *really* find rewarding, so they end up unhappy. Or unduly poor, which tends to be a barrier to happiness in general :(

Nouseforaname
1st October 2003, 20:37
I was thinking of running away to Paris and joining the French Foreign Legion..... but apparantly it is damn hard to get into, also the 20% or something mortality rate in basic training threw me off abit :gob:

Marmoot
1st October 2003, 22:31
No joking? I keep on hearing people talk about this degree that degree, but I don't see how they help in finding job.

I have an engineering degree. Heck, I even have masters degree in IT.

But I couldn't even get a job as helpdesk. They say I'm not the type of person they're looking for even though I satisfy every inch of requirements stated in the job ads.
Overqualified and underexperienced?
I've tried toning down my qualifications, still no luck.
Not even 1 interview in 1 whole year.

Oh, also there is the debate: You can't get job unless you are experienced. But, of course, you can't get experience unless you get a job, rite?

I'd say then: Luck is a big factor, eh?

I'd do anything to just get a break in something with a career future.

Kwaka-Kid
2nd October 2003, 01:13
hey then theres the other thing you can throw into this topic... Do you Live to Work? or Work to live? now i personall choose the live to work bit, hence why i would like to be a cop/fireman... however like my mums hubbie kinda does, works to live, he doesnt particularily like his job, but they pay him heaps for doing fuck all and it means hes got the money to do random shit like $25K rebuilds on a shitty old Z1 (dont mean that tho, i love em) and other stuff like that.. alot of people would say, yeah but doing a job you dont really like is soul destroying etc yadda yadda, but hey, hes a real neat dude and dead seriously is never down/angry... but yeah.. id rather earn $50K per year and enjoy my job and work for my money then get $100K per year and hate my job, or for that matter just "medicore" enjoy my job...

hmm yeah, thats just some stuff thats been thrown @ me over the years -my mums hubbie really doesnt understand my choice to do the $50K per year idea, and really wants me to get my MSCE, hes got the most expensive bit already anyways, the books!  I enjoy my current jobs in a way, not heaps and heaps but i get satisfaction out of making a day run smoothly and have no mis-haps.. unlike today.. where the bitch of a nurse tried to blame the cancellation of an Acute Urethroscopy case on me for not setting up the order!! boy oh boy i wish i was high enough up to tell her to go.... ill stop there... i was calm and took it and did it the formal and slow governmentlikesystem way of filling out a stupid incident report that never gets looked at... hahaha ohh the down days really do suck.. hey and look, why are all my posts always after midnight? i must work anti-social hours :( and Mitch and Si come to pick me up tomorrow! yaaay, you 2 are the bestest old peoples that ever lived! hehehe.:D

Antallica
2nd October 2003, 01:25
Hehe, I got paid $10 just to install a modem.

IT can be funny sometimes... yeah I know I'm on shit wage, but then again we don't charge the world an hour.

riffer
2nd October 2003, 08:07
Sounds depressingly familiar. We've decided in our house to go down to a one-income family. My wife was IT manager for a company that made routers for telco's. I was a design manager/IT manager for a design company. We both got made redundant. I found a new job earning 40K less but with 8-4.30 hours (sweet!) and she's going to be a home mum. As part of the downsizing, the Legacy GTB is being sold and I'm back on bikes again! So getting out of IT is not all Bad! :niceone: :niceone:

Antallica
2nd October 2003, 08:14
Originally posted by celticno6
and I'm back on bikes again!

Now that itself makes it all worthwhile :D
Nice one mate! :niceone:

Kwaka-Kid
2nd October 2003, 09:24
all i can say is Meh to IT... just Meh.

its all good, lax out antallica, dont stress to hard.. just lax and ride that FXR, oh and my mate mike is looking @ buying one end of this year/start of next.... ;)

jrandom
2nd October 2003, 15:10
Originally posted by Kwaka-Kid
my mate mike is looking @ buying one end of this year/start of next

FFS, why would he want to do that? It really is an unfortunate little machine. I don't think I'd buy it again if I could go back and make the 'first bike' choice over. Gets you round town and all, goes quick *enough*, but it's tiny and twitchy and less than confidence-inducing. A $1500 GN250 would've done the same job, and had the Officially Shite Old Bike semi-coolness factor.

And to think I saw a decent-looking ZZR250 going for *LESS* than what I paid new for my FXR (if you count the $400 ORC) at Cyclespot yesterday!

Blehhhhh. Never mind. Roll on next year, full license and an SV650... new FI model (nekkid) ones going for <$10K now! :gob:

Antallica
2nd October 2003, 19:12
I can pick up a 1993 ZZR250 (with backpack rack) for $2500 + whatever that charges are to service the bugger. Hasn't been used for 6 months apparently, slow starter. Probably just needs a cleanout.

Got an offer on my FXR too, so if both are timed right I should have the ZZR250 .. whip the pants off my FXR anyday.

w00t :rockon:

hehe if the ZZR250 is 40hp, then my FXR must be 2hp!! :niceone:

Andrew
2nd October 2003, 21:42
[i]

hehe if the ZZR250 is 40hp, then my FXR must be 2hp!! :niceone: [/B]

The ZXR is rated at 40hp and seems to have quite a bit more there than a ZZR. What is the difference between bhp and all the other types of horse power definitions out there. Any answers - CK?

Sharkey
3rd October 2003, 08:26
My understanding is that bhp - "brake horse power" is the power at the wheel, as opposed to say the flywheel. Because of transmission losses, the bhp is lower than the actual horse power the motor produces.

Lou Girardin
3rd October 2003, 08:36
Brake horse power is that measured by a brake dynamometer.
It is the same as flywheel hp, but there are various standards for measurement, eg. SAE, DIN, etc. These govern how the engine is tested, eg. with all engine accessories driven or not, which gives very different ratings.
Lou

Big Dog
3rd October 2003, 16:01
and then they confuse you futher still because most bike rags refer to PS. or Phieder Strake (phonetic spelling, may be wrong), which is german horse power. Measured at the back wheel under full load. If I recall correctly 100 ps = 107 bhp = 110 bp but can't remenmber the conversion to kilowatts but I'm sure one of the engineers out there will correct some or all of the above as well as tell us kilowatt conversion. :beer:

Sharkey
6th October 2003, 08:23
HP to kW

1 to 0.7456999

Big Dog
6th October 2003, 09:36
78.3 kw just dosent sound as sexy does it?:Oops: :Offtopic: :whocares: :beer:

marty
6th October 2003, 11:26
Originally posted by Lou Girardin
150 metre wank to work. Hmmm, assuming a penis length of 150mm thats 100 strokes.
Lou

there's a 1000mm in a metre dude..... would have to be 1000 strokes. even my RS would be warmed up by then

Coldkiwi
6th October 2003, 12:31
Originally posted by Marmoot
No joking? I keep on hearing people talk about this degree that degree, but I don't see how they help in finding job.

I have an engineering degree. Heck, I even have masters degree in IT.

you have an engineering degree? what in?

TBH, the only guys (and girls) that graduated from my course not in engineering jobs that I know of are either a) at uni doing a masters cause they didn't want to work or b) doing other job cause they decided they didn't want to do engineering after all that. Engineering degrees normally make you pretty damn employable (especially if&nbsp;from Auck&nbsp;or Cantab. uni) whereas a commerce degree simply puts you on the employers pile of "people to reply to with a 'sorry' letter" (sorry to any budding commerce students out there, but its true!)

&nbsp;

wkid_one
6th October 2003, 12:40
Engineering degrees normally make you pretty damn employable (especially if&nbsp;from Auck&nbsp;or Cantab. uni) whereas a commerce degree simply puts you on the employers pile of "people to reply to with a 'sorry' letter" (sorry to any budding commerce students out there, but its true!)

&nbsp;

Oh so true

jrandom
6th October 2003, 13:27
you have an engineering degree? what in?

er, to back up CK's comments here, I just *have* to weigh in and say that if one has a BE from Auck uni in any of the majors whatsoever with average grades of B or better, I can't really see how one could fail to find a job within a few weeks in the Auckland area.

Really. Especially if you speaka da good England and all that. *Particularly* if you're EEE or mechanical. In fact, if you're EEE and looking for a job, you should probably send me a PM :niceone:

Not sure what you mean by masters in IT, Marmoot... wossat? Nothing from Auck I can think of... sounds a bit commerce-y to me, anyway :p

Marmoot
6th October 2003, 20:33
BSc in Electronics (Indonesian university)
and MCMS from Waikato, specializing in HCI. Come to think of it, OSH department might be interested? :p

Marmoot
6th October 2003, 20:34
BSc in Electronics (Indonesian university)
and MCMS from Waikato, specializing in HCI. Come to think of it, OSH department might be interested? :p

The only thing I can think of that's stopping my application was that I am classified as over-qualified-n-not-experienced.

I really need chance for experience. Heck, I'd even pay for good work experience. :o

Lou Girardin
7th October 2003, 07:32
Bugger! It's that premature ejaculation thing again.
Lou

Coldkiwi
7th October 2003, 11:33
Is the university you got the degree from one of those noted in the Washington Accord Marmoot? if you're not sure, get hold of IPENZ and find out. That may mean that some employers won't recognise the qualification (unlikely given how desperate you obviously are for work). The accord is a document put together by prof eng. institutes from around the world about which Universities engineering degrees are at a suitable level to be considered as equal. If your university isn't one of them it may cause problems but I would've thought only if you went to get registered as a prof. engineer. Dunno mate, you should be fairly employable if you go down the electronics road.

Marmoot
7th October 2003, 21:23
May be. It was accepted by NZQA though (in my residency application).

I'd just put it to underexperienced-overqualified. It's nice to have a scapegoat within easy grasp. :D