PDA

View Full Version : Manfeild track day, 19 April 2009

7mmWSM
1st March 2009, 21:17
For thos who missed the last one, another one is coming soon.

Correct me if im wrong but a believe the next track day is on the 19th April.
I'm pretting sure this is a SUNDAY so sorry to all you church goers wanting to come - although a CD track day should take priority!

I'm sure someone will post more details closer to the time but i thought I'd give everyone the head up in advance.

Beemer
3rd March 2009, 20:15
Yes, our next track day is Sunday 19 April so put it in your diary now! Please note the slightly increased cost for the track day - the cost of hiring the track has increased and unfortunately we have to pass that on.

Just $50 per person. Slow, medium, fast and race sessions.
All glass to be taped, bikes to be of WOF standard.
Full bike gear to be worn.

Scrutineering starts at 8.30am.
Maximum number of 120 bikes, first in first served. NO prebookings.

This is arguably New Zealand's cheapest and best-run track day, just ask anyone who's been to one in the last 20 years!

For more information, please contact club president Andrew Pugh on 0274 463 870.

xr-rider
19th March 2009, 17:43
i have read in a couple of ads for the 08 ones that you need a licence, does that apply to this one?

Beemer
20th March 2009, 09:42
Yes, you must have a licence to ride whatever you plan to use for the track day. It is not a race meet so you don't need a race licence, just a normal one.

86GSXR
24th March 2009, 18:42
Sweet! Done a few of these now and they're ALWAYS good value. First time for the Daytona, should be interesting.

rachprice
24th March 2009, 18:56
whoohoo...cant wait!

ajturbo
24th March 2009, 19:15
ooo..hope it's fine....

Laxi
24th March 2009, 19:20
sounds like a damn good way too spend a sunday

xr-rider
24th March 2009, 19:32
ooo..hope it's fine....

you going?

Beemer
25th March 2009, 10:59
ooo..hope it's fine....

Ooo, don't be a wuss - turn up anyway! Half the time the forecast isn't that great but on the day of the last one it rained for about half an hour then was fine for the rest of the day so a lot of people missed out by heading home or not coming in the first place.

It's actually quite confidence-inspiring to get some track time in the rain, just take it easy and don't push yourself too hard.

KiwiKat
26th March 2009, 18:17
Yes, our next track day is Sunday 19 April so put it in your diary now! Please note the slightly increased cost for the track day - the cost of hiring the track has increased and unfortunately we have to pass that on.

Just $50 per person. Slow, medium, fast and race sessions.
All glass to be taped, bikes to be of WOF standard.
Full bike gear to be worn.

Scrutineering starts at 8.30am.
Maximum number of 120 bikes, first in first served. NO prebookings.

This is arguably New Zealand's cheapest and best-run track day, just ask anyone who's been to one in the last 20 years!

For more information, please contact club president Andrew Pugh on 0274 463 870.

Fantastic value and an awesome day out. My riding skills and confidence improved hugely from the few runs last time.

I would recommend this day. Met heaps of local faces as well.
Even nice just to visit.:niceone:

Ooo, don't be a wuss - turn up anyway! Half the time the forecast isn't that great but on the day of the last one it rained for about half an hour then was fine for the rest of the day so a lot of people missed out by heading home or not coming in the first place.

And who stayed home last time?

Sweet! Done a few of these now and they're ALWAYS good value. First time for the Daytona, :eek:should be interesting.

Keep your flaps down flyboy.

rachprice
26th March 2009, 18:20
Yeah I did the last VMCC one when it was pouring down in the morning, dry inthe afternoon

I shat myself about going out in the rain, but i actually loved it and would be kinda excited if it rained

ajturbo
26th March 2009, 18:28
if i can spare the $$$ then i will be there, has anyone got a lap timer i could borrow....i want to set a bench mark for some improvements (?) i am going to get done to the buell....

Beemer
31st March 2009, 11:28
And who stayed home last time?

Me - been a club member for more than 10 years and don't ride the track days (been there, done that) so I don't feel the need to be at every one! Had other things to do last time so the weather didn't play much of a part in my absence.

slowpoke
31st March 2009, 17:46
..... bikes to be of WOF standard.

Just to ask a stoopid question: are race/track bikes allowed?

Honda's obviously won't be a problem but I'm guessing some of the other quality-challenged manufacturers might struggle to meet the criteria so I'm asking on their behalf :Pokey:

Tony.OK
31st March 2009, 22:15

Honda's obviously won't be a problem but I'm guessing some of the other quality-challenged manufacturers might struggle to meet the criteria so I'm asking on their behalf :Pokey:

Were last year matey......................assume so this year:msn-wink:

Beemer
1st April 2009, 09:08

Yes, separate sessions are run for race bikes and I'm pretty sure we only allow race bikes in those sessions, we don't let them go out in the other sessions. By WOF standard we mean the bike must be in good working order - chain not loose, tyres not worn through, nothing falling off the bike, etc. And the verdict of those doing the scrutineering is FINAL - if we don't think your bike is up to the rigours of a track day, it WON'T be going out on the track.

7mmWSM
2nd April 2009, 19:59
ooowe, only 17 sleeps to go boys & girls

Laxi
3rd April 2009, 23:28
:odoes any one know if you need a full lisence for this? im on a learners and im dead keen on being able to stretch my legs without the paranoia of being busted at 80ks+ over my speed limit lol

ducatilover
4th April 2009, 00:11
Shit I hope I can make it too this one! If so I will bring the spada for a rape and might manage to get the cb500 four racer over there [not mine though:mellow:]

Beemer
4th April 2009, 09:20
:odoes any one know if you need a full lisence for this? im on a learners and im dead keen on being able to stretch my legs without the paranoia of being busted at 80ks+ over my speed limit lol

Please ring Andrew (his number is in the first post). I am not sure of our regulations regarding this and would not like to say yes, a learner's licence is fine, or no, you have to have a full licence. He is the club president and what he says goes.

Laxi
4th April 2009, 10:59
cool thanx for that, my eyesight must be going didnt notice the contact before:o

Beemer
4th April 2009, 22:39
No worries, I'm happy to pass on information and help with any questions that I know the answers to, but for things that are outside this, you are best to go to the horse's mouth, so to speak! I don't have the authority to say yay or nay with regards to stuff like cameras mounted on the bikes, full or learner's licences, etc so it's best to ask el presidente!

It would be just my luck to say that a learner's licence was okay, you have a little off and despite it being a track day and not a race session, you end up with a bent bike and no insurance because the company turns around and says you were not riding the bike within the conditions of your licence - as a for instance.

xr-rider
5th April 2009, 14:01
No worries, I'm happy to pass on information and help with any questions that I know the answers to, but for things that are outside this, you are best to go to the horse's mouth, so to speak! I don't have the authority to say yay or nay with regards to stuff like cameras mounted on the bikes, full or learner's licences, etc so it's best to ask el presidente!

It would be just my luck to say that a learner's licence was okay, you have a little off and despite it being a track day and not a race session, you end up with a bent bike and no insurance because the company turns around and says you were not riding the bike within the conditions of your licence - as a for instance.

learners are probably ok. i only have an mnz licence and he said thats fine.

Jase W
5th April 2009, 19:04
Is there anyone heading up from the welly region that could possibly give myself and my rg150 a ride up? I was in an accident the other day and my car is currently sitting at the panelbeaters - I'd be surprised if its sorted in time.

Fuel money & hugs will be given in return...

Beemer
6th April 2009, 14:13
learners are probably ok. i only have an mnz licence and he said thats fine.

We've got a club night tonight so if I remember I'll check with him about the learner's licence. A race licence would probably be fine, but I'd be worried about letting a learner, who is restricted to 70kph on the open road, go out there in a session (they'd only be allowed in the novice sessions I would imagine) where the average speed is about 100kph. Whether or not you have ridden at 100kph on a learner's licence on the open road is besides the point; we wouldn't want any grief if we allowed it.

Beemer
7th April 2009, 17:29
Right, spoke to Andrew at the club night last night and he said a learner's licence is fine, so that's from the horse's mouth! He said we require a licence (race or road) as proof of identity/age and whether it's a learner's or full doesn't really matter. Oh, and you would be restricted to the novice sessions.

Speaking of sessions, bikes will be stickered for the different sessions to prevent riders going out in back-to-back sessions or changing what one they go out in to get more track time. You will be able to make ONE change during the day and that will be IT.

As for the camera, he said that would be addressed at scrutineering - if the guys doing that think it's going to cause any danger, it won't be let through. Can't really make a ruling until they see it.

Laxi
10th April 2009, 22:35
thanks for the info, me and my zzr 250 would be more than happy in the novice session:clap: new rear brake pads on tuesday and im all ready, cant wait

quickbuck
16th April 2009, 21:00
Speaking of sessions, bikes will be stickered for the different sessions to prevent riders going out in back-to-back sessions or changing what one they go out in to get more track time. You will be able to make ONE change during the day and that will be IT.

Cool, that will stop what seemed like 3000 bikes last time......

Unfortunately it will muck up the idea of having one bike two riders in different classes.... I planned to do this, as my CBR is still broken from January....
Sweet as though, we will just put another bike on the truck ;)

7mmWSM
16th April 2009, 21:22
Bike won't have the sticker, the sticker will be on riders helmet i would imagine so sharing a bike won't be a problem.

Beemer
17th April 2009, 10:35
Bike won't have the sticker, the sticker will be on riders helmet i would imagine so sharing a bike won't be a problem.

Sorry, but the BIKE will be stickered, not the rider's helmet. As mentioned, having a sticker on the BIKE will prevent multiple riders using the same bike and taking it out in back-to-back sessions. If you are sharing a bike, then you will have to share the sessions too - one person takes it out in this session (medium for instance) and the other rider takes it out in the next medium session. Having stickers on the helmets would be too difficult to control as we would not be able to tell if one rider had brought up more than one helmet and got stickers for different classes. The bike will have a sticker and if you find that session is too fast/slow for your liking, you will have the chance to change to another class - but ONCE ONLY - so you will not be able to send one rider out in the medium sessions and another rider out in the fast sessions throughout the day.

7mmWSM
17th April 2009, 13:11
Sorry, but the BIKE will be stickered, not the rider's helmet. As mentioned, having a sticker on the BIKE will prevent multiple riders using the same bike and taking it out in back-to-back sessions. If you are sharing a bike, then you will have to share the sessions too - one person takes it out in this session (medium for instance) and the other rider takes it out in the next medium session. Having stickers on the helmets would be too difficult to control as we would not be able to tell if one rider had brought up more than one helmet and got stickers for different classes. The bike will have a sticker and if you find that session is too fast/slow for your liking, you will have the chance to change to another class - but ONCE ONLY - so you will not be able to send one rider out in the medium sessions and another rider out in the fast sessions throughout the day.

Now thats just silly, What does it matter if 2 riders are sharing a bike? All its going to do is make more money for the club. I thought the idea was to stop 1 rider riding in more than 1 session catagory.
Honda riders club days are run like this and works well. In the end the idea is to keep an even number of bikes in each session for safety reasons e.g You don't want a 'Race' or 'Fast' rider going out in the 'Slow' group

Beemer
17th April 2009, 13:47
Now thats just silly, What does it matter if 2 riders are sharing a bike? All its going to do is make more money for the club. I thought the idea was to stop 1 rider riding in more than 1 session catagory.
Honda riders club days are run like this and works well. In the end the idea is to keep an even number of bikes in each session for safety reasons e.g You don't want a 'Race' or 'Fast' rider going out in the 'Slow' group

The decision has been made by the organisers and that is their right. We have no problem with riders sharing a bike, however we have had instances in the past where people have come in from one session and immediately lined up to go out in the next - which is why we close off the dummy grid prior to the current session coming in. This has caused problems whether it is the same rider trying to double his/her track time or a second rider going out immediately after the first. It causes confusion and creates safety issues on the dummy grid. If we stickered the rider/helmet and not the bike, this could lead to the same problems arising and I can imagine we'd get the same "but that wasn't ME on the bike in that last session, it was my mate..." scenario.

By stickering the bike for a particular session we can ensure that bike only goes out in those sessions. If a bike stickered for a fast or race session appears on the dummy grid for a novice or medium session it will be spotted easily and removed. It would be a nightmare to try and spot the stickers on multi-coloured helmets and also not everyone is happy to have stickers placed on their helmets - I for one would not be.

As for making more money for the club, the track day usually sets a maximum number of riders and when that limit is reached, people are turned away unless some riders decide to leave early and extra places become available.

This is stated on our advertising material: "CDs reserves the right to refuse entry and/or expel any rider who does not comply with event rules on the day". We will never please everybody but we do our best to provide a safe and enjoyable day for the majority.

These rules WILL be enforced on the day and anyone caught trying to get around them may be asked to leave - and no refunds will be given in that instance.

gatch
17th April 2009, 23:22
Given you know the maximum number of bikes and the length of the sessions, about how many sessions are ther throughout the day ?

I guess it depends on the added variables yes ? like accidents/incidents etc

Beemer
18th April 2009, 10:40
It is very hard to know how many sessions we can run during the day because although we may know the maximum number of riders, we have no idea how many there will be in each speed session. We could have 50% of the riders wanting to go in the novice session (unlikely but just for an example) and 10% in the race session and 20% each in the fast and medium - we won't know until the day when we see who turns up.

We usually get at least two sessions of each speed in the afternoon and another two each in the afternoon. We like to keep the number of riders to about 35 maximum per session.

We can't guarantee the number of sessions because as you've mentioned, anything can happen to throw things out of whack. An accident can take some time to clear and nothing can run on the track during this time. If someone's bike drops oil on the track this would have to be attended to, etc.

Although we can't hope to keep everyone happy, most people say they have had enough after three or four sessions so for $50 I think they are getting value for money. We run as many sessions as we safely can and rarely hear anyone saying they wish they'd done another one at the end of the day.

Good luck tomorrow and I hope everyone has a fantastic day. It looks like the weather is going to be overcast and warm so we should get a good turn out. Be early so you don't miss out!

quickbuck
18th April 2009, 18:05

Okay, that isn't what beemer said, but yes, that makes much more sense... Nobody will swap helmets...

gatch
19th April 2009, 00:47
Be early so you don't miss out!

Fuckin A, I'm there already an I'm bringin my mates with me :D

Laxi
19th April 2009, 00:55
bloody wife decided to drop a sprog a month early (she'll do anything to spoil my fun:p) so looks like i'm out for this 1

cowboyz
19th April 2009, 01:19
inconsiderate!

Laxi
19th April 2009, 01:22
inconsiderate!

I know, bloody indecent of her aye?:lol:

Beemer
19th April 2009, 08:32
Have fun everyone - except you, Laxi - bloody women, eh!

Shiny side up (with a sticker on it!) and sticky side down!

We're off Corvetting so won't see any of you this time.

sinfull
19th April 2009, 08:41
Have fun everyone - except you, Laxi - bloody women, eh!

Shiny side up (with a sticker on it!) and sticky side down!

We're off Corvetting so won't see any of you this time.
Oooooo one of the ten comandments broken "thou shalt not corvett thy neighbours wife"
Were off to do some spectating today ! Take my daughter for a squrt up to manfield on the triple before it gets traded !~

cowboyz
19th April 2009, 16:37
another awesome trackday from the CD club. A absoulte shitload of bikes showed up this morning. Had a magic time today. Cheers for that. Might have to do a report up later on

Beemer
19th April 2009, 17:25
another awesome trackday from the CD club. A absoulte shitload of bikes showed up this morning. Had a magic time today. Cheers for that. Might have to do a report up later on

Good to hear - we saw shitloads of bikes on the road today, including a fair few heading south later this afternoon. Glad to know the day was another good one, we try our best!

"Corvetting the neighbour's wife..." ROFL!!! I even got to drive my baby home from Otaki, leading the other four 'vettes to our place for afternoon tea. Looks like chocolate cake and ginger crunch are the nibbles of choice for future reference - nearly demolished the lot!

A report would be greatly appreciated, we love to get feedback so we can make sure we continue to provide a great day out.

cowboyz
19th April 2009, 17:47
I didnt put it in my report because it didnt turn out to be a really big issue but there was suggestion of a limit of 120 bikes and yet there were 170 (I think) signed up. It is a tough call cause I would have been pissed if I was one of the 50 odd turned away and the volenteers did a fantastic job of getting the sessions turned around. The 2 med groups does mean a bit of a wait between tracktime and at one stage there were 3 med groups. But like I say, it is tough cause no one wants to be turned away, it is all good money for your club and the sessions were run about as good as they could get..

quickbuck
19th April 2009, 17:47
Okay, I'll go first.

Got there nice and early to line up on Rata street behind the traffic.... Gates locked!
Gates open at 0745 ish and in we went.

Got sorted and then walked past 120 odd people to get to the back of the registration line!

Registered and then waited.
Lined up behind the race class and was the first fast class guy out there... on a Kawasaki ZR400.
Out i went, and the ting starts missing under full throttle... Rode the whole track at 100km/he getting passed by everything but the grass.... Did some passing in the corners.. seems I was keener than some on cold tyres.

Brought it back to he pits after one lap and ripped the carbs off it.
They seemed fine.
Threw it all back together and took it for a spin. Got to do a lap test in the slow class (yeah I know, no class hopping BUT I only did one lap).
It was still running rough. Most likely be the split in one of the caps!

SO, my mate loans me his NSR250.
Went out in the medium class (as that is what the bike was registered for).
Was well classed, and able to out corner everything.... Didn't take a proper line for 6 laps or so.
THEN as I was flying down the back straight it locked up in spectacular 2 stroke fashion!
So in with the clutch and coast from Dunlop entry to the pits.

Pull the plugs and notice they were 8'S!
Man! To top it the rear one had no electrode left... and most of the piston attached to it!
So scrap one cylinder on the NSR!
Apprently the 8's ran fine at Taupo... With an older rider... and the standard end cans rah de rah.......
Seems the NSR is scavenging much better now.... Or it was!
Lesson is: When ever a 2 stroke is going really well, it is about to blow up!

Didn't go out again as that is three times in a row i have broken something.... Didn't even want to tempt fate by taking a bike out of the display... And Bill wouldn't let me after breaking his toy.

So it was a case of stand around and watch everybody else enjoy their day.

It was good to see some Noob's to the track really having a good time and getting a lot from it.
I think it is a positive thing for motorcycling that so many are keen to up-skill themselves at days like this.

Condolences to all those that crashed. I hope you heal well.

Cheers to Busted and the team for such a fantastic day.

86GSXR
19th April 2009, 18:28
Yeah, huge ups to you guys for another brilliant day! Sure, there was a big crowd but that's a positive thing in itself and everyone had fun. The organisers carried off the whole day in your usual style, thanks! :2thumbsup

slydesigns
19th April 2009, 21:22
Thanks heaps for letting us in, waiting until i had sighed in to close off - I was second to last - and taking the time out of your riding hours to run it for us all.

Me and the better looking half have even joined up with the club as a result of meeting so many friendly members and being made to feel welcome.

Laxi
19th April 2009, 22:23
sounds like I missed an awsome day out:crybaby: definatly gonna keep an eye out for the next 1

BigGuy
20th April 2009, 12:41
Well, the day wasn't so good for a mate and myself.

We toiled all day the Saturday to make sure that our bikes and gear were buttoned up, loaded and RTG.
Got up, picked up the mate, loaded the bikes on the trailer and left Wellington by 7:10. Got to Manfield at 9:20 to see someone holding up a sign saying no more bikes. :gob:
A few other people from Wellington missed out too. In fact - a LOT of people missed out.

So we stuck around till 12 to see if we could get on the track once a few people had left - no such luck! :bye:

That's $60 down the drain for the petrol for the trip, and a waisted Saturday and Sunday. Although not completely, we did have a few laughs on the way to Manfield and back.

Oh well, that's the way it goes I guess :(
Chalk it up to experience and we'll have to camp outside the gates next time :)

It was good to see so many people turn out though.

It would be interesting to hear how many times people got to ride (for those who were following the rules and not class hoping).

I wonder if it could have been managed better with pre-registration (with a pre-registration fee of course)? Just a thought!!!
Is it even viable to do this?

BMWST?
20th April 2009, 12:48
well, the day wasn't so good for a mate and myself.

We toiled all day the saturday to make sure that our bikes and gear were buttoned up, loaded and rtg.
Got up, picked up the mate, loaded the bikes on the trailer and left wellington by 7:10. Got to manfield at 9:20 to see someone holding up a sign saying no more bikes. :gob:
A few other people from wellington missed out too. In fact - a lot of people missed out.

So we stuck around till 12 to see if we could get on the track once a few people had left - no such luck! :bye:

That's $60 down the drain for the petrol for the trip, and a waisted saturday and sunday. Although not completely, we did have a few laughs on the way to manfield and back.

Oh well, that's the way it goes i guess :(
chalk it up to experience and we'll have to camp outside the gates next time :)

it was good to see so many people turn out though.

It would be interesting to hear how many times people got to ride (for those who were following the rules and not class hoping).

I wonder if it could have been managed better with pre-registration (with a pre-registration fee of course)? Just a thought!!!
Is it even viable to do this?

pre register and pre pay??

Beemer
20th April 2009, 12:59
Got to Manfield at 9:20 to see someone holding up a sign saying no more bikes. :gob:

Sorry to hear that but scrutineering was 8.30-9.30am so arriving 10 minutes before it closed off was cutting it a bit fine. Unfortunately people do start queuing up at 7am, often before we get there. We have to make it first in, first served.

The idea of prebooking will be passed on to the committee but they will have the final say. We've run it without prebooking from the start and it usually works well.

BigGuy
20th April 2009, 14:04
Yeah, that's a fair call.
I guess I just didn't realise (as did a lot of other people) that Sunday would be so popular.

Beemer
20th April 2009, 14:17
Yeah, that's a fair call.
I guess I just didn't realise (as did a lot of other people) that Sunday would be so popular.

I think because it's so reasonably priced and well located for those travelling from Wellington (and further away), it has become more popular. Even when it rains, we still get about 100 bikes turning up and the fact the weather was perfect yesterday meant even more wanted to have a go.

We're always shied away from prebooking because of the extra work involved, but that will be put before the committee tonight and it is something that may be considered for next year. No promises, and it would still be first in, first served, just the money would have to accompany it as soon as we set a date to start taking bookings. We'd probably limit it to one place per person, otherwise we could piss people off by taking group bookings as others could miss out.

BigGuy
20th April 2009, 16:48
The good thing with a pre booking is, you stop people travelling all the way to an event and spending money and time they don't need to if they know they are not guaranteed a place.

Glad to hear the feedback is at least being considered. And good on you for taking it constructively! :niceone:

Beemer
20th April 2009, 17:38
This is the first time ever we have had to turn away riders - so the number of riders who turned up this day was unprecedented. We usually do cap the number but if there are only half a dozen or so who turn up after we decide no more, we usually let them through.

God knows where they all came from yesterday but I think by the sound of it (I wasn't there so can't say for sure) the organisers realised there were WAY too many to let everyone in and had to turn some away.

Some riders do leave early but it sounds like most stayed for the bulk of the day this time, meaning there were no spots to be filled. Often we have to turn away bikes that are not in fit condition to be on the track, but again, if all the bikes passed scrutineering, that means fewer spots again for late comers.

All this feedback will be given to the organising committee and it will be taken into consideration when planning future track days. We would be keen to run three, but Manfeild usually can't give us the dates we want so we're stuffed. Ours is the cheapest around, and we do appreciate the feedback as we want to make sure it's one of the best too.

325rocket
20th April 2009, 18:26
we left plimmerton at 5.30 to make sure we got in. i have no problem with first in first served. if its easier to do it that way keep doing it people will soon learn to get up earlier. when your only charging $50 its up to us to work in around you.
thanks again for a good day

cowboyz
20th April 2009, 18:54
As a suggestion, I like the idea of nominating a group but found it curious why someone on the loud speaker was calling out for the fast group to line up and if they dont hurry they would miss out.
If there are 30 riders allowed on the track (for instance) and 30 people sign into that group then they should be able to get on the dummy grid 2 mins before going out and be guarenteed a space.
Would like to see G1- race, G2- fast, G3- med, G4- med, G5- slow.
And if you have a G4 tag on your bike you go in G4 not G3.
Followed a couple of bikes round in G3 and then watched them circulate in G1 as I was watching from the stands. I realise that volenteers cant catch everyone session hoping so it takes a bit of honesty on the part of the riders to ensure everyone gets a fair crack at the whip.
At some stage there we were lining up when the race guys were out there and sitting on the dummy grid with the fast guys and then med guys and end up going out in the second med group.
If you had a number on your bike and were guarenteed a session then it would clear the dummy grid faster.
By the same token, if the session is over and you are coming down the back striaght is there any real point in circulating to the slip road? surely pulling off into the pits striaght away and missing the 1/4 lap that is run down speeds things up. Maybe another chequered flag on the back striaght for those who can to pull off to the pits early to clear the track for the next group?

quickbuck
20th April 2009, 19:47
Maybe another chequered flag on the back straight for those who can to pull off to the pits early to clear the track for the next group?
Or, on to it riders notice the bikes lining up on the infield so hang a left to the pits....
It saved a lot of waiting actually.... But then the motor had died for me by then anyway :crybaby:

7mmWSM
20th April 2009, 20:20
Or, on to it riders notice the bikes lining up on the infield so hang a left to the pits....
It saved a lot of waiting actually.... But then the motor had died for me by then anyway :crybaby:

This is for safety reasons only.
I saw a couple of times bikes almost running up the back of one another due to people following the leader coming in on the last lap and cutting accross other bikes lines when the following rider was still coming around at race speeds.
The infeild dummy grid is there to slow riders down and get them leaving the track as a group as this is the fastest way to get the next session under way.

slydesigns
21st April 2009, 01:45
The infeild needs a marshall though... saw 3 bikes in one session shot across the track from the slip road to the pits while bikes were still at race pace coming onto the front straight! A few of us in the stands puckered up at the sight of the highspeed bikes baring down on the oblivious riders crossing!

Beemer
21st April 2009, 10:55
The infeild needs a marshall though... saw 3 bikes in one session shot across the track from the slip road to the pits while bikes were still at race pace coming onto the front straight! A few of us in the stands puckered up at the sight of the highspeed bikes baring down on the oblivious riders crossing!

This should have been brought to the attention of someone IMMEDIATELY - this is the kind of behaviour we will not tolerate and those riders would have been spoken to and possibly asked to leave if their actions were deemed to put other riders in danger. Unfortunately we don't have eyes in the back of our heads and we can't see everything at once. Possibly with such a large turn out of riders we were not on to this, but rest assured, if it had been brought to our attention, it would have been acted on at the time. I hope those riders read this and realise they could have caused a fatal accident. There is a lead rider in each group apart from the fast and race sessions and they lead the bikes to the infield slip lane before crossing the track when the last bike goes past. This is unacceptable and will be mentioned to the organisers.

Beemer
21st April 2009, 13:42
As a suggestion, I like the idea of nominating a group but found it curious why someone on the loud speaker was calling out for the fast group to line up and if they dont hurry they would miss out.
If there are 30 riders allowed on the track (for instance) and 30 people sign into that group then they should be able to get on the dummy grid 2 mins before going out and be guarenteed a space.
Would like to see G1- race, G2- fast, G3- med, G4- med, G5- slow.
And if you have a G4 tag on your bike you go in G4 not G3.
Followed a couple of bikes round in G3 and then watched them circulate in G1 as I was watching from the stands. I realise that volenteers cant catch everyone session hoping so it takes a bit of honesty on the part of the riders to ensure everyone gets a fair crack at the whip.
At some stage there we were lining up when the race guys were out there and sitting on the dummy grid with the fast guys and then med guys and end up going out in the second med group.
If you had a number on your bike and were guarenteed a session then it would clear the dummy grid faster.
By the same token, if the session is over and you are coming down the back striaght is there any real point in circulating to the slip road? surely pulling off into the pits striaght away and missing the 1/4 lap that is run down speeds things up. Maybe another chequered flag on the back striaght for those who can to pull off to the pits early to clear the track for the next group?

Just to address a couple of those points - the idea of setting a limit per session when signing in was discussed, but we thought that it could cause problems in two ways. If the novice session was full but someone really wanted to do the track day, they could sign up for the medium instead and either piss people off by being too slow, or try too hard and crash. Likewise if the fast session filled early, people would sign up for the medium and start causing trouble by going too fast. Usually we get the right number of riders and it allows us to have one each novice, fast and race, and two mediums - between 120-150 riders. This time there were obviously more, not sure exactly what happened there, but it did cause problems, particularly in the medium group.

As for the chequered flag on the back straight, I don't think that would be a good idea. People are used to the flag being waved on the front straight and would perhaps not be looking for it along the back straight. And although it is only a short distance between the front straight and the infield, it does give people two chances to realise the session has ended - if they miss the flag then they should spot the other riders lining up. I bet we'd get a few moaning they'd missed another chance at the corner along the front straight too!

KiwiKat
21st April 2009, 14:01
From all the comments I have heard an awesome trackday. One of the best ever. :2thumbsupWell done to those CD volunteers who were there and all those riders who helped out when things got busy.

I've just been looking at online photos with Marcus. Some outstanding shots. http://www.wfactor.org/?p=gallery&g=trackdays

cowboyz
21st April 2009, 14:31
As for the chequered flag on the back straight, I don't think that would be a good idea. People are used to the flag being waved on the front straight and would perhaps not be looking for it along the back straight. And although it is only a short distance between the front straight and the infield, it does give people two chances to realise the session has ended - if they miss the flag then they should spot the other riders lining up. I bet we'd get a few moaning they'd missed another chance at the corner along the front straight too!
fair call.

I guess the point I was trying to make was about riders helping out by paying attention to whats going on.
I can understand the race group completing the lap at race pace. Often these guys are testing their bikes and (unofficially) have a clock on them and want to get that last lap in. But in the other groups if the session is ending and alot of bikes are already sitting on the slip road then why not just pull off striaght into pitlane instead of going round to the slip road. It may seem like a minor thing but it can save a couple of minutes a session. Not an official thing but just if it is safe (and by safe, again I am assuming riders taking responsiblity for their actions) just pull off and save a little time.
Another point I can see a small time saving is letting the bikes out as soon as the track is clear, ie, when the other group is still coming up pitlane. Say that saves 3mins a session over 4 sessions is 12 mins a round which would give time for another group to go out. Maybe would have to have cones or something so riders cant come past the gate to the riders heading out.
Maybe I am just expecting too much from riders and personal responsibilty and giving everyone else a fair go. Afterall, Every trackday I have been to it has been clear that no wheelies in pitlane and every trackday I have been to I have seen at least one.

From all the comments I have heard an awesome trackday. One of the best ever. :2thumbsupWell done to those CD volunteers who were there and all those riders who helped out when things got busy.

No doubt about it. It was a fantastically run day. Some small improvements over the groups and some improvements over riders thinking about how to improve things for themselves.

quickbuck
21st April 2009, 17:21
This is for safety reasons only.
I saw a couple of times bikes almost running up the back of one another due to people following the leader coming in on the last lap and cutting accross other bikes lines when the following rider was still coming around at race speeds.
The infeild dummy grid is there to slow riders down and get them leaving the track as a group as this is the fastest way to get the next session under way.

Cutting across the line of other bikes is just stupid... and there is no reason for it out of Dunlop! None at all!
The pits is to the left.... just like the fast line out of the corner... If you are taking the quickest line you actually cut off the kink in the track and point the bike toward the start/finish marshall post.
If you are slowing you have heaps of room to slow and enter the pits.

The pit entry is in a relativly safe place, and everybody coming out of Dunlop should realise a vehicle coule enter the lane there.....
Ansl, anybody who is about to enter the pits should recognise to stay to the outside of the track.

quickbuck
21st April 2009, 17:22
...... riders thinking about how to improve things for themselves.

Agree.....

sinfull
21st April 2009, 17:36
Just to address a couple of those points - the idea of setting a limit per session when signing in was discussed, but we thought that it could cause problems in two ways. If the novice session was full but someone really wanted to do the track day, they could sign up for the medium instead and either piss people off by being too slow, or try too hard and crash. Likewise if the fast session filled early, people would sign up for the medium and start causing trouble by going too fast. Usually we get the right number of riders and it allows us to have one each novice, fast and race, and two mediums - between 120-150 riders. This time there were obviously more, not sure exactly what happened there, but it did cause problems, particularly in the medium group.

Just like to point out that alot of organisers have stopped using the slipway for that very reason ! Ya turn ya back for a second and someone could die !
Cone the stupid thing off and instruct everyone to complete the last lap and come in at the riders breif

slydesigns
21st April 2009, 18:06
This should have been brought to the attention of someone IMMEDIATELY. I hope those riders read this and realise they could have caused a fatal accident.

For our part we saw the lead rider trying to stop anyone else from doing it and assumed he would take care of the matter. I guess I should have been more proactive and told someone.

For the riders invloved, I don't think they even realised as it was the easy group and when they went passed us we were yelling and waving at them and they gave us pretty confused blank looks.

BMWST?
26th April 2009, 21:46
some form of cool down is desireable esp if the brakes are really hot...

sinfull
26th April 2009, 21:55
When ya get off ya could always blow on em !

scuzeme
3rd May 2009, 20:12

Joke right? he heheeeee right?