PDA

View Full Version : Stupid roadworks

EJT
3rd March 2009, 18:05
Was all ready to do a trip with the lads from up North around the East Coast in the weekend leaving Friday from Auckland for Opotiki.

Thought I would take the Kwak for a spin on Thursday afternoon to make sure everything was ok for the trip and while going through some road works around Wellsford (of which there are shitloads at the moment) a stray stone punctured the radiator. Good one - what crap timing.

It was a small puncture and I didn't notice it until I got home when the sweet smell of coolant over the headers became obvious. Luckily it was all mostly motorway riding as I don't bear to think what would have happened had coolant splashed over the front tyre before I hooned into a corner. Thankfully there was still a bit of coolant left and the temp stayed steady on the trip back. A panicked call to Mt Eden confirmed that the cost of a new radiator was $1,200.00 or so. Ouch! Thankfully the hole was small enough to be repaired. Ended up costing $55 to have it done properly at Pukekohe Radiators (who Mt Eden also apparently use).

Unfortunately I couldn't have it repaired before the trip so my trip on the bike was a write off. However, not to let the team down, I followed in a cage, much to the amusement of the others who found it very convenient to load up the car with gear. However, I didn't really mind, and still managed to have a great weekend, even if we didn't end up doing the Coast ride because of the weather (not that I would have done it in a car anyway).

So the moral of the story is get a radiator guard!! Have ordered one from R&G as I am too lazy to make my own.

I suppose radiator guards are like crash protectors. Most people order them when it is too late:rolleyes::rolleyes:

James Deuce
3rd March 2009, 18:53
Sometimes people buy bikes that come with radiator guards.

They even buy bikes without radiators. I'm starting to think that is the best bet.

pritch
3rd March 2009, 19:58
They even buy bikes without radiators. I'm starting to think that is the best bet.

That is a good idea. Putting the radiator on the side is OK too... until you fall off. (Crosses fingers!)

vifferman
3rd March 2009, 20:21
Putting the radiator on the side is OK too.
Or ... or! You could put a radiator on BOTH sides! :clap:

Gremlin
4th March 2009, 00:56
After a mate holed his radiator 600km into the bike's life, and it couldn't be repaired... yeah... one of the first things I do is buy some mesh, and zip tie it over the radiator. :niceone:

H00dz
13th March 2009, 23:15
I can vouch for this hole in EJT's radiator, for awhile there I was the suspected bike that shot out the missile, that holed it!!!
This of course this was totally not true, but someone had to be blamed aye:bleh:

ANYWAY, EJT manned up and caged it all the way...talk about taking it for the team, Your the Man Ed

Thats why we're Northland Hard Aye EJT Lolz

P.s Opotiki & Gisbourne they Rocked!!!

LBD
14th March 2009, 02:14
After a mate holed his radiator 600km into the bike's life, and it couldn't be repaired... yeah... one of the first things I do is buy some mesh, and zip tie it over the radiator. :niceone:

But if you are a Ducati S4 rider...beware, there is not enought room between the mudguard and a rad guard snug against the radiator, if you do a serious stop...

the suspension compresses and in my case the CF mud guard caught on the guard and broke some 4 inches off $$$$:mad: