PDA

View Full Version : Changing career path. How?

Morcs
4th March 2009, 11:43
Ive decided its time to change career paths.

I like my current job, it pays well, im management, monday to friday, normal hours etc..
Im a Quality Manager in a plastic injection moulding company - the manufacturing industry is in decline, and plastics moreso than most - and im only 22, so best change whilst young eh..
Oh and ive had enough of riding of 50kms a day in auckland traffic.

So how does one go about this? Job ads dont make any sense anymore - shit jobs are made to sound good, most dont specify $, and the rest, after reading the advert, you still have no idea what the job entails.

If anyone has any guidance, or even ideas of what areas to look at, please post.

Im a Quality Assurance manager with an automotive plastics backround, working with ISO, TS16949 etc.. theres not much i dont do. My CV is this field is very impressive, but wont help me too much here i dont think.

I have no qualifications. I always took the stance of jumping in the deep end rather than going to uni so i can recite a text book.

I actually like the idea of being an Executive PA, not the blonde secretarial sort though, but a right hand man type role to someone important.

I dunno.

Finn
4th March 2009, 11:48
My advice... stay put for now and gain the experience. A sudden move in this market could be risky. Someone just posted yesterday that they took a new job only to be made redundant before even starting.

However, if your adamant that you need to change, how about going to see some recruitment companies. They'll do the work for you if you're any good.

Good luck.

keithbuckby
4th March 2009, 11:48
you can search by area, most of them have the salary listed as well

portokiwi
4th March 2009, 11:54
http://www.jobs.govt.nz/default.aspx
is anothe good site to watch.
Seek is great
even trade me jobs isnt too bad.
quite often find the same job posted on seek and trade me and govt jobs on all three

Morcs
4th March 2009, 12:06
you can search by area, most of them have the salary listed as well
Thats where I usually look. they suck. ads dont actually tell you anything.
they make a janitors position sound good.

My advice... stay put for now and gain the experience. A sudden move in this market could be risky. Someone just posted yesterday that they took a new job only to be made redundant before even starting.

However, if your adamant that you need to change, how about going to see some recruitment companies. They'll do the work for you if you're any good.

Good luck.

Yeah i agree somewhat, but ive had enough of trudging so far across town every day. Last recruitment guy didnt help me as I actually didnt know what I wanted to do - I went to him hoping he'd be able to find some jobs for me to look at in various fields.

3L4NS1R
4th March 2009, 12:17
Want job security? Want an exciting job that gets you out of the office and give you real world experiences? Want a job that will send you overseas, give you recognisable qualifications, and offer very compeditive pay?

Join the New Zealand Army

/advert

Seriously though, if you want a dependable part time job to give you security while you consider a career switch, give the Territorial Force/Army Reserve a thought...

Crisis management
4th March 2009, 12:22
Ive decided its time to change career paths.

I dunno.

My suggestion is to spend time working out where your strengths are and then finding a job that uses as many of those as possible....Buy a copy of "What colour is my parachute" and invest some time in yourself by working through it.

Stirts
4th March 2009, 12:24
I actually like the idea of being an Executive PA, not the blonde secretarial sort though

Awwwwww you would look good in a pencil high waisted skirt and white shirt too!!!

Here is a site that I have found very helpful. The Job matching tool is pretty good actually. May help with deciding where to next.

http://www2.careers.govt.nz/index.php?id=4713

davebullet
4th March 2009, 12:44
What limits most people in changing a career is money. Usually, a career change means a drop in salary.

First you need to work out what sort of work you'd like to try. Then be realistic about how transferrable your current skills are and the salary range of your target job. Use your transferrable skills to determine whether you are entering as a junior, intermediate or senior into that salary band.

With a rough idea of what you are worth in the new job, work out the a) minimum $ you would need to survive, vs. b) what you'd feel comfortable living off.

You need both a) and b) for the following reasons:
a) - so you can work out how much of a gap you need to top up somehow. You might need a 2nd part time job (ie. night job) or you might be able to contract out your existing skills for less hours per week at contract rates to top up the survival fund

b) - your new career may not have the high salary you want. You just need to be prepared that you may love what you do, but never get the salary back you had in your previous career. Of course the new career could have a higher salary ceiling, but be aware of what the new ceiling is.

Hope that helps. As Number one and others have pointed, there are govt sites to help with career planning. Any recruiter worth their weight in salt could also spend some time with you working things out. IF you are lucky like me, your company may provide some sort of employee assistance programme, where you can use someone external as a sounding board. Sometimes friends don't tell you what you need to hear.

Cheers,
DAvid.

Tank
4th March 2009, 13:37
I actually like the idea of being an Executive PA, not the blonde secretarial sort though, but a right hand man type role to someone important.

Aim higher and work hard. Dont be the PA, be the Exec.

Neon
4th March 2009, 13:56
A smart friend once told me that it's relatively easy to change industry OR discipline (e.g. marketing / operations), but very hard to do both at once. Look for opportunities with your current employer to step up or sideways, and try some different things. As has already been said, if you move be prepared for a pay cut.

Having just spent three months unemployed having a similar career crisis, I will tell you - agents are a waste of time unless you know them personally, or you can tell them EXACTLY what you want to do (and are qualified to do it). Looking for a career shift? Forget it - 'too hard' basket.

I did end up landing a new position, but it was really tough going and that was in November. It's even harder now. I am also in manufacturing so I understand what you are getting at. I took a pay cut to change roles (now I'm not being pushed hard enough so can't win eh?).

My advice is similar to what's been said, but think long and hard about moving from a stable job right now. Many companies that are still hiring will have the view of 'last in - first out' when it comes time for redundancies. There is an element of risk involved. Lastly, mack your network hard, you never know what's around.

Maha
4th March 2009, 13:59
Get a perm!!

Nasty
4th March 2009, 14:10

I have no qualifications. I always took the stance of jumping in the deep end rather than going to uni so i can recite a text book.

I dunno.

Part of the problem with switch at the moment is the lack of roles available ... I am hearing that roles that would attrack 20 people in the past are now attracting 80+ ... indicating that the market is quite flooded.

The problem with no qualifications is simple ... lots of others you will be fighting for the role with will have them. I personally didn't have any until my 30's and then I sat a certification in the field I work (project management) ... which tells people that I can do the job for which they are hiring me. Look at doing/fortifying your real life experience with education in some way or other ... that will definately help .. you can say .. I can do this and back it up as well ...

ManDownUnder
4th March 2009, 14:11

Good luck.

+1. Best advisory post I read in a long time. I would also add, learn how to interview the recruitment agents if you choose that path.

The majority are monkeys simply fitting pegs into holes and care more about the comission you bring them, than your career path per se. Find those that see the benefit in both.

Morcs
4th March 2009, 14:27
Part of the problem with switch at the moment is the lack of roles available ... I am hearing that roles that would attrack 20 people in the past are now attracting 80+ ... indicating that the market is quite flooded.

The problem with no qualifications is simple ... lots of others you will be fighting for the role with will have them. I personally didn't have any until my 30's and then I sat a certification in the field I work (project management) ... which tells people that I can do the job for which they are hiring me. Look at doing/fortifying your real life experience with education in some way or other ... that will definately help .. you can say .. I can do this and back it up as well ...

I do agree somewhat, but in my field, my record is superb, and much better than any piece of paper - proof that I can and have one, rather than I have studied.
I proved this with my current job - i hadnt made the step up to a management position yet, and the role available was filled with 2 guys of 20+years experience who were made redundant - and in the interview I made it clear that i felt like i was biting off more than I can chew, but Id be willing to give it a go - a gamble for both sides, and it paid off.

I guess my main beef is the distance to and from work. I have to have 2 bikes just so I have one that isnt racking up K's like no tomorrow (service interval every 2 months)

Tank
4th March 2009, 14:37
I guess my main beef is the distance to and from work. I have to have 2 bikes just so I have one that isnt racking up K's like no tomorrow (service interval every 2 months)

If thats your main beef - then its easier to move house than career.

Burtha
4th March 2009, 14:40
Executive PA work in some areas definately suits the male ie; some legal firms, politics etc. Always move from one job to another - always makes you more marketable. Think of an industry you would want to work in ie; something you could enjoy learning about and getting involved in that ISN'T a hobby - keep them seperate. Then approach distinctive / reputable companies in that industry. Best thing in that area is definately getting to know the companies - find out if any friends or friends of friends work there and what they are like.
Hope some of this yabba helps.
:mobile:

Morcs
4th March 2009, 15:57
If thats your main beef - then its easier to move house than career.

Yes but im a snob. I like living in the area of west harbour.
Moving somewhere cheaper and nearer to work isnt really an option - I like not having to worry about shit being stolen, house falling part etc..etc..
Plus living back at home has its advantages.

slofox
4th March 2009, 16:03
You could always do what I did. Buy or start a business. (I've done both). That way you will be poor for the rest of your life and never have another holiday ever. BUT. You can't be fired!

NinjaNanna
5th March 2009, 08:48
Yes but im a snob. I like living in the area of west harbour.
Moving somewhere cheaper and nearer to work isnt really an option - I like not having to worry about shit being stolen, house falling part etc..etc..
Plus living back at home has its advantages.

This the stupidest thing I've ever heard you say!

In these uncertain times you want to quit a job where your value is recognised and appreciated, to move to a more "glamourous" profession - take a pay cut at the same time - just so you can stay living at home with Mummy and Daddy.

Man-up move somewhere closer to work and cut the apron strings.

Hey what do I care - go ahead do it - everybody learns from their mistakes right?

And on a more serious note - EVERYBODY gets bored of their jobs at times and dreams of doing something different - but from experience its the ones that actually stick at it that end up with the promotions (provided they are competent).

Squiggles
5th March 2009, 10:25

Wouldnt it be easier to just move...

mynameis
5th March 2009, 10:49
Morcs first thing you need to do is weigh the situation realistically and then do your research/homework and then make the move. Get a fresh piece of paper, find some quiet time (maybe the shitter) and weigh things up.

Some of the things you need to consider:

1) What you like about the current job and what you don't like. Advantages, Disadvantages of staying/leaving ect. And realistically weigh it.

2) What your core skills/strengths are and if it is transferable into a new role.

3) Decide on what you want to do next and make sure you do enough research about the INDUSTRY before you dive into it. It may well backfire in this current tough times.

4) Understand the current economic climate, recession, unemployment on rise, therefore the market is flooded with good candidates.

5) Career switch usually means pay cut and starting from the bottom, so think about that. No quals these days are a disadvantage as well, as you will be competing against some good strong candidates out there.

6) If you're not getting enough info from the ad's call them up and ask for the info you can't see in the ad's.

7) Engage with good reputable Recruitment Agencies to get a feel of what's happening in the market.

And then make a move, if you decide too.

Good luck and I'll leave you with one more though:

"The current buzz out there is to hold on to your jobs and bite time till we come out of this recession"

James Deuce
5th March 2009, 10:57
Aim higher and work hard. Dont be the PA, be the Exec.

Err, what? We can't all be chiefs.

I get more satisfaction out of finishing something difficult than getting a promotion or a pay rise.

Just a thought.

Morcs
5th March 2009, 10:59
This the stupidest thing I've ever heard you say!

In these uncertain times you want to quit a job where your value is recognised and appreciated, to move to a more "glamourous" profession - take a pay cut at the same time - just so you can stay living at home with Mummy and Daddy.

Man-up move somewhere closer to work and cut the apron strings.

Hey what do I care - go ahead do it - everybody learns from their mistakes right?

And on a more serious note - EVERYBODY gets bored of their jobs at times and dreams of doing something different - but from experience its the ones that actually stick at it that end up with the promotions (provided they are competent).

I never said anything about a glamorous profession?

All im saying is I like living somewhere where I know the bikes (and other stuff) will still be in the garage in the morning or when i get home. Im not going to give that up for something as trivial as a job.
As well as that, the missus works in the city and uses public transport, finding something to suit both of us is quite difficult.

Dave Lobster
5th March 2009, 11:10
If you're worried about kms on a bike, just get a scooter for commuting. You don't even need to service them...

Morcs
5th March 2009, 11:13
If you're worried about kms on a bike, just get a scooter for commuting. You don't even need to service them...

I test rode one the other day.

Cagers had no respect for me at all. its rather dangerous.

marty
5th March 2009, 11:20
Last recruitment guy didnt help me as I actually didnt know what I wanted to do - I went to him hoping he'd be able to find some jobs for me to look at in various fields.

So you came HERE? LoL

marty
5th March 2009, 11:27
I do agree somewhat, but in my field, my record is superb, and much better than any piece of paper - proof that I can and have one, rather than I have studied.

here's a problem - 'in my field', yet you want to get out of your field, so your superb record in your field means nothing really.

so you want a career change because you are racking up too many k's on a bike? 500k a week each way is nothing. instead of running 2 bikes, and the associated costs, just have 1 good one and run the arse off it - a bike with a looked after 100000kms on it will still realise better resale than 2 bikes with moderate ks.

Kflasher
5th March 2009, 11:31

Good luck.

I would tend to agree, it will be a volatile market, if not already.
Unless forced to move I would stay put and maybe look into some studies to back up your experience.

Nasty
5th March 2009, 11:36
[QUOTE=Morcs;1964647]I do agree somewhat, but in my field, my record is superb, and much better than any piece of paper - proof that I can and have one, rather than I have studied.
I proved this with my current job - i hadnt made the step up to a management position yet, and the role available was filled with 2 guys of 20+years experience who were made redundant - and in the interview I made it clear that i felt like i was biting off more than I can chew, but Id be willing to give it a go - a gamble for both sides, and it paid off.
....QUOTE]

The thing is Morcs ... that you need to be able to sell yourself in a tight market ... it is well enough for you and a couple of others to know ... but evidence helps - that is what I meant by getting certified or otherwise :)

Morcs
5th March 2009, 11:57
So you came HERE? LoL
Not looking for a job here. just getting ideas and advice.

here's a problem - 'in my field', yet you want to get out of your field, so your superb record in your field means nothing really.

so you want a career change because you are racking up too many k's on a bike? 500k a week each way is nothing. instead of running 2 bikes, and the associated costs, just have 1 good one and run the arse off it - a bike with a looked after 100000kms on it will still realise better resale than 2 bikes with moderate ks.
Its not purely the racking up of K's, its also the time and stress of battling traffic for an hour and a half + everyday. I leave work feeling reasonably good, i get home, im knackered.

and put a bike on tardme with 100,000k's, not many people will touch it.
Ive even had a bike shop tell me 30000 was a lot and used it to reduce my trade-in value.

Max Preload
5th March 2009, 14:30
Ive even had a bike shop tell me 30000 was a lot and used it to reduce my trade-in value.

Until they go to sell it, then it's "nothing for one of these"... :rofl:

Morcs
5th March 2009, 14:31
Until they go to sell it, then it's "nothing for one of these"... :rofl:

No, thats just Kawasakis and suzuki's...

Squiggles
5th March 2009, 15:07
What dont you like about your current job? Do you actually need to change? South Auckland aint that bad, GIJoe doesnt even have a garage and nothing seems to go missing

Max Preload
5th March 2009, 15:34
No, thats just Kawasakis and suzuki's...

Nope. It's all of them. Just like when you're buying a house in 'St Johns'. Come time to sell, the agents will try to tell you it's in Glen Innes (which it probably always was if you didn't do your homework).

It's not purely the racking up of K's, it's also the time and stress of battling traffic for an hour and a half + everyday. I leave work feeling reasonably good, I get home, I'm knackered.

If you like your job and can't fathom moving, have you considered asking if you could shift your hours? Start late, finish late? Maybe even start really early, finish really early? If you're not travelling with every other bastard, it's actually pretty effortless.

NinjaNanna
5th March 2009, 15:50
If you like your job and can't fathom moving, have you considered asking if you could shift your hours? Start late, finish late? Maybe even start really early, finish really early? If you're not travelling with every other bastard, it's actually pretty effortless.

That theres a clever man

Paulo
5th March 2009, 16:25
Just a thought , have you considered doing some additional training outside of work, Like an open polytechnic course or something, so you can upskill and keep your current job for a bit longer, (things are a bit shaky workwise globally at present) It means you'd be giving up your own time but this sort of dedication gets noticed by employers , Be they your current ones or potential new employers.